/wt/ Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that is required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread: WHY DO MECHANICAL FAGGOTS LIE SO MUCH ON THE INTERNET???

THEY KEEP REPEATING THE LIE THAT A MECHANICAL WILL LAST LONGER THAN A QUARTZ WHEN IT'S NOT TRUE AT ALL!!!!!!

THEY KEEP REPEATING THE LIE THAT QUARTZ WATCHES CAN'T BE REPAIRED WHICH IS THE BIGGEST LIE IN THE HISTORY OF WATCH MAKING

STILL YOU FAGGOTS KEEP SUPPORTING THIS LYING FAGGOT INDUSTRY!!!!!

YOU'RE ALL BEING TAKEN FOR A FUCKING RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOUTUBE IS FULL OF PEOPLE REPAIRING QUARTZ WATCHES FROM COMPONENT LEVEL JUST LIKE MECHANICALS!!!!!

youtu.be/YxcYgQejqnc

youtube.com/watch?v=hngZxIrPVko

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0pOtkAa1iqQ
g-shock-mens-watches.com/casio-g-shock-dw-5600e/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first for meme shock arrived yesterday

Second for Suwa Hi-Beat

Third for Daini Seikosha.

>yfw a 20 grand Patek doesn't have hacking seconds
>a $350 Seiko SARB033 has hacking seconds

I ordered something

I has watch

INB4 countless Seiko reposts. These threads are garbage.

there is a certain irony that the more someone spends on a watch, the less they probably care about the time

I don't understand why all mechanicals don't have a hacking lever. Though if the escapement is shit, dirty or out of beat it may just not start up again.

Post watch

Any reason why my skx loses so much time?

Because you're a faggot.

>Happy birthday son
>Thanks dad!

Model?

Gee so helpful. 10/10

It basically adds cost and complexity. You need additional components and machine/labour time to add such a feature. If you're trying to make an automatic movement as cheap as possible, the hacking lever is usually the first thing to go, along with the hand-winding. Seiko's 4R15 is basically a 6R15 with those features removed, just because it cuts cost (and gives them a way to differentiate the 6R15 and keep us from asking for something more like a 6R20). Some cheap automatics remove one or the other, though; the Seiko 6106 has a hacking lever but no hand-winding, and the Miyota 8200 has hand-winding but no hacking lever. And some expensive automatics have no hacking lever because it's completely pointless; the Seiko 7018 comes to mind (why the fuck would you want to hack a chronograph with no running seconds sub-dial). But why Patek can't put a tiny little one in a Calatrava? I don't know. Maybe it's their way of reminding you that you really are on the bottom-feeder end of their customer base, and to them you're no better than some pleb with a Seiko 5.

Me, personally, I think hacking levers are pretty much mandatory on standard 3-hand designs.

>But why Patek can't put a tiny little one in a Calatrava? I don't know. Maybe it's their way of reminding you that you really are on the bottom-feeder end of their customer base,

The vast majority of their watches don't hack, even the ultra high end grand complications shit

How old are you?

What should I use to remove scratches from a vintage watch's acrylic crystal?

I already have a dremel

You got some watches to post or are you just going to bitch?

GET THE FUCK OFF TO FAGGOTS

It is a railroad approved accutron with a 218 movement made in 1972.

Look at the top of the page. Does it say "Sup Forums - Computers" or "Sup Forums - Technology"?

I turned 25 last week, why?

And yet you still celebrating your birthday with your parents....

thats a nice watch, hug your parents for loving you so much

Wait, are you fucking serious?

I know the Regulateur Annual Calendar hacks, I just sort of assumed the rest of them did as well. It's such an elementary feature. I'm sure they have some sort of rationale but that makes no sense to me.

>It basically adds cost and complexity.
It's basically a simple stamped part on a pivot machined out of the mainplate. I don't see why it's so complex. I still say the main reason it's not used more is cheapshit escapements not restarting.

faggot

this thread belongs to as ptg belongs to FUCK OFF

>they don't know how to fix watches

Nope, Pateks that have hacking are the exception.

"To my knowledge just 3 pateks have hacking seconds: 5959, 5170 and the new Regulator 5235g"

Hey, when did I say I ONLY celebrating my birthday with my parents? I only said that just a fucking present from my dad. Calm the fuck down
I actually did that, thank you

rate?, Also have a 5513 mk4!

>Cheap, bulky quartz chrono
Looks like a gross lump of metal.

>posting the dog shit sub

whats wrong it mr.fancypants!?

compared to the 5513 it's just awful and betrays the tool watch heritage

>fat oversized lugs and markers
>shiny ceramic bezel shatters if stopped (= expensive af to replace)

>over 18
>still in contact with parents

die in a chemical fire you leeching piece of worthless hit

not that guy, but you jelly cuz you dont have good contact with yours!? faggot

Watch threads:

>Highly technical debates over the merits of numerous Seiko and Swiss calibers, and analysis as to why the design of any given one is better than the other
>People trying to time their 7S26 to fall within COSC specifications using cobbled together home-based equipment, god bless 'em
>A guy who made his own ETA 6497 on a fucking lathe, assembled dozens of moving parts on it himself, and timed his mechanical concoction to be accurate within 12 seconds per day
>Overall people who love this hobby and give each other great info, with the occasional meme watch being born

versus

>1/10 no custom icon set
>3/10 shit battlestashun kill urself XD
>OMG Sup Forums THE ILLUMINATI AND THE NSA IS GOING TO SPY ON MY OPPAI LOLI COLLECTION
>Check out this chink shit we're buying for the sake of buying shit, I swear it will not fall apart in a month
>Windows is dum
>Homescreen thread!
>The SSD meme is real guiz
>How much RAM do you have and why is it less than 16 gigabytes
>AMD has no drivers lol

Yup that's us, the watch faggots

RWI/10

Anyone have any good tips on how to buy a vintage omega off of ebay? I don't want to waste money on ones with a refurbished dial or shit like that.

Your escapement would have to be pure fucking garbage not to restart. Then again my Vostok 2414 has to be shaken sometimes even when fully wound. As for the costs, the mainplate machining and the stamping of the pivot are still extra processes. Removing them saves less than $1 per movement, but it is still money saved, and more importantly it gives you a reason to pay more for something with hacking.

That is completely ridiculous. I never really looked into Patek calibers, but given that literally everyone else has hacking starting from the mid range, I figured they would too. What's the point of "muh accuracy" if you can't even hack the movement?

RWI?

What defines a "good" watch? Is it the brand? The material?

Why not? I still making money on my own and yet still living with my parents and having good times with them. I think I should totally kill myself for doing that.

I'm they guy that asked about EB 8021-68 in the last thread. The seller sent me some pics of the movement - this one looks like it doesn't have shock protection, or am I wrong?

If it says "SEIKO" on it then it's automatically good.

There are many factors for determining the quality of a watch that says anything else.

Well for example an Amphibia is an insanely good diver at Amphibia prices, but it would be pretty shit for the price of a Marinemaster. On the other hand a TAG-Huehue would be acceptable at Tissot or SARB price, but total scam dogshit for the shekels TAG asks for them.

Should I spend all of my year's savings on a 14060 or buy a mkii speedy and save the rest?

Why did you censor your arm? Are you black or something?

This sounds too complicated. I have to look at the quality of everything about the watch as well as the price? If that's the case, then where do I begin?

ah you're one of those

yeah, just buy the most expensive

+ I might be black just might and you guys dont like blacks!

>one of those
What's that supposed to mean? I'm just kind of interested in this because the only watches I've ever had came from walmart for $15.

>censoring the picture of a wrist like that is totally normal

The 52xx quick-set may break as a result of wear or misuse, but it won't just unexpectedly and inevitably fail by itself as the 56xx quick-set will due to it resulting purely from aging of the plastic gear in the quick-set mechanism.

Ergo, a serviced 52xx will not have the quick-set fail as long as you don't set it between 9pm and 3am, whereas a 56xx quick-set will eventually fail in 100% of 56xx watches.

The difference between these two things should be self-evident.

Whats so bad about TAG Heuer?

I don't know anything about the company or their watches

THANKS!

this looks pretty fucking smart

>as long as you don't set it between 9pm and 3am
Generally speaking is it safe to change the time while the day is changing?

Only the older models, the newer cases are composite.

Someone link this guy the video of the TAG with fake screws falling off the dial

I am genuinely surprised that there is overlap between people who like Sinn and people who think bracelets look good.

I'm not.

Link to bracelet?
Looks like it would fit fat springbars

>Ergo, a serviced 52xx will not have the quick-set fail as long as you don't set it between 9pm and 3am
>don't set it between 9pm and 3am

Unless you're part of the 5216/5256 master race

can't help sorry, wasn't my pic

i am not a big fan either generally but that combo looks cool

black 556i is still bae though

indeed it doesnt

Uh, it was this kind of bracelet I meant.

This one?

youtube.com/watch?v=0pOtkAa1iqQ

Yeah. That's the one.

Fuck, I really liked the watch too. Well, at least I dodged the bullet.

>yfw Tissot will never make pieces like this again
>yfw they are artificially slotted in to Swatch's "you buy this but you really want a Longines as soon as you can afford it" category
>yfw the history and heritage of the brand has been completely wasted

Feels bad, man

/fa/ ->

Did you flunk middle school reading comprehension?

You could have stopped at Middle School and still been right.

Beginner watchmaker/battery monkey user here, 90% of Swatch Group watches that come in for a battery change are Tissot, and about 70%-80% of all lower-midrange watches. Tissot is a commoner brand now, that is considered "affordable luxury" by the ignorant masses.

Interestingly I see a lot of Citizen (a lot of it women's titanium). The only Seikos are 80's-90's analog quartz, and the odd Seiko 5 that was never serviced/got busted up.

To be honest, I would NEVER use the quick-set on a vintage watch between 9pm and 3am.

It just isn't worth the risk of a mishap.

Heh, my dad actually had the same one,but he broke the shit out of it, hands fell off, pushers were busted and the strap was rusted.
He was about to throw it away but I took it and fixed it for a few shekels.
A nice daily quartz watch.

I refuse to wear a watch that doesn't have a digital display
fight me

>2448x3264

Would you wear this,?

Worthless, someone clearly already beat you on the head very hard.

I would
Really wish Casio would bring back some of their older watches

Is it just poor quality control or what ?

Their, particularly low end watches, are simply an attempt to look like they are worth the money. It's trying to play the part of a quality, expensive watch without putting anything meaningful into it. Unique materials, movement or complications? No, just trying to appear like it has those things and spending a lot marketing to yuppies who just don't feel comfortable springing for a Rolex. Then they can walk around feeling good about spending 1/2 as much as a Rolex but it being 'nearly as good!' when in fact they spent pre-owned Rolex money on what might as well be some 500 dollar Tissot.

Definitely. Looks sweet.

You had me cancel my order. Ordered one monday because I read about that and wanted a sweet steel Casio, not so sure now.

Does anyone even know how you could identify a proper model with a steel case with the serial number or something? Can it be seen from underneath without opening it perhaps?

Probably the only non-shitty looking Tag Heuer.

I like how it doesn't even say Tag anywhere.

Hey Sup Forums, I'm getting kind of sick of WildSpectra and the various other Android band-aid timegraphing programs, so I'm thinking of buying a dedicated timegrapher. These seem to be popular with various autistic watchmakers on Youtube and can be had for around $140 freedombux. Is there another option /wt/ approves of?

Also thinking of getting a degausser.

Goddamn it Casio.

You'd have to look for a DW-5600C, not the common $40 DW-5600E

g-shock-mens-watches.com/casio-g-shock-dw-5600e/
>One of the major differences between this model and the original G-Shock DW-5600C is the use of a polymer case material with a stainless steel case back secured with four screws. The original design featured a stainless steel case and screw-down case back and is highly sought after by collectors.

It's non-shitty because they had to reach back into their past before TAG got a hold of them in order to produce something decent. Although I still wonder about their quality control.

Fuck, I wish everything had gone according to Keikaku for Seiko after the Quartz Crisis. Then at least some of these companies would be in their hands and we'd still have consistent QC and tasteful designs.

>is highly sought after by collectors.
Well then I'll go for a "E" then.

That's because it's a remake of the old Heuer Carreras.