/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Post all your small and stupid questions that doesn't deserve their own thread.
Redirect any retard to this thread using Previous thread : Don't be a retard, read the sticky, the wiki, and search before posting.

Other urls found in this thread:

superuser.com/a/504360/
stephaneginier.com/sculptgl/,
pcpartpicker.com/list/vFB6M8
ocw.mit.edu/courses/find-by-topic/#cat=engineering&subcat=computerscience
ophcrack.sourceforge.net/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I try to resell things for extra cash.
today I got scammed with an old fake $100.
where do you think someone would take it without checking it?
so I could get some money back

It's not worth the risk. Contact the secret service and point them to the buyer.

I mean, if you try to spend it, you'll likely be talking to them anyway, or maimed/killed if you're dealing with criminals. You could just destroy it.

How much should i expect to pay to rent a server? specifically, a server in a 3rd world shit hole with no laws. maybe somewhere in the middle east?

reposting from old thread

Is there a way to force a forum thread to show hidden attachments without logging in or having an account on that site?

I'm trying to get a vbscript to run from a registry key but it doesn't do anything.

The registry key:
"%windir%\system32\wscript.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\downloader\download.vbs" "%1" 2

When I click on the protocol it doesn't run it.

Any ideas?

What's the best comparator between high-end graphics cards (>=970)?

Is PassMark acceptable or is there something better?

Not much if you don't need much. There's lots of VPS offerings for less than $100/year.

From the last thread:

How do I install OpenGL 3.0?

I looked it up and apparently you have to install new drivers for your graphics card, but I downloaded an update utility and there were no new drivers available for my laptop.

thanks bro

almost considered making this its own thread, but anyway, i managed to lose access to my C: drive, not the worst thing that could happen as all my stuff is on a storage drive besides windows, but backstory is i always had a single harddrive with windows insider on it, got an ssd and put legit windows on it, so then windows said i was dual booting and put a uefi bootloader on my computer. eventually i wiped the insider preview drive and only had one OS, but the uefi boot stayed. decided to put ubuntu on the empty drive but it deleted windows uefi bootloader and replaced it with its own, making windows say insert boot media when i try to boot from my ssd. i can mount my storage drive in ubuntu but if i try to mount the C: drive it says it cant because windows is hibernated in an unsafe state. any ideas before i reinstall windows on my ssd?

You still have to log in, but sometimes bugmenot will save you from registering. (try with different domain suffixes or adding/removing subdomains if the logins don't work or are "barred")

Copy/paste from previous thread

Are there any apps that I can use to save Sup Forums threads from Clover or whatever? I used to use pocket unfortunately, but I dunno if a recent update wiped my archive or what because all my saved threads 404'd. Android obviously.

I just need something to save them on so they don't 404. Maybe a good screenshot app if nothing else. Any help Sup Forumsentlemen?

if youre in windows im pretty sure you already have it installed

If you are just want to read, mount with readonly (ro) option.

no, i want to be able to boot into windows from my ssd again if possible. would i have to somehow get a windows uefi loader on my computer again?

If doesnt work try:
sudo ntfsfix /dev/sdxx

(xx is the windows partition number, obviously)

superuser.com/a/504360/

just save all your data and reinstall windows?
that could be annoying though, you will need to use a live usb to chroot into your ubuntu after the reinstall to reinstall grub

data is saved, hence the storage drive. didnt lose anything and if i have to ill wipe the ssd and install windows again. im just trying to avoid that as clean windows 10 installs are a bitch
are you talking about from ubuntu's console?

Apparently not, because when I try to launch GZDoom, I get pic related.

Also, when I go to this url, stephaneginier.com/sculptgl/, I get the message "Could not initialise WebGL. No WebGL, no SculptGL. Sorry."

yeah, from the ubuntu terminal. however, this is just the info i found online. i have no real experience with windows and its shitty hibernation state. i dont use windows.

Gave me an operation not permitted

God, learn to google errors. Looks like you GPU has no support for OpenGL 3.0 (probably old intel integrated gpu).

If it is supposed to support it, update the drivers.

Is it true that the letter 'K' at the end of a processor model stands for capacity of overclocking them?

What is the best FOSS alternative to Pocket (aka "I'll read this article later on my phone because now I'm busy wasting my life browsing the internet") ?

yes

not capacity, just that the multiplier is unlocked, letting you overclock without using the fsb

In a torrent with many peers and low seeds, 50 seeders - 500 peers for example

Out of my 50 connected peers (maximum), only around 10 are seeding for me.
So if I ip ban the incompetent ones will I get better peers?

I'm probably stupid as qBittorrent/libtorrent is already handling this shit automatically

I see, so if I'm not planning to overclock my CPU I'm better of buying the non K version then.
Thanks

I think you will need to do a reinstall. sure its a pain in the ass, but thats windows for you. At least you got your data back, thats the main thing

Is it bad practice you 'dick' and 'butt' as placeholder variables?

I automatically ban any IP inside the US. My speeds are great

The K ones may be higher binned, so they could possibly be a little better/reliable if not overclocking. But only worth it if you're being offered it at no additional cost. Also look at Xeons if you don't want to OC. Some are a good value compared to i5/i7 of equal benchmark.

Also repost :
I want to make a google account but I don't want to give them my phone number ; is there a way to receive a single SMS with a one use only trash number ?

alright, but then what will take precedent as the uefi? at that point ill have windows and ubuntu, im not sure which loader ill receive. my original goal was to have windows on my ssd, a 1tb blue as a storage drive for .exe games and generic files, and my second hdd partitioned with one half ubuntu and one half osx. i feel like this will be a headache

Use Google Voice

So I setup ffdshow with ffmpeg to capture my screen but it only records to 30 FPS

ffmpeg -f dshow -i video="screen-capture-recorder" -vcodec libx264 -crf 0 -preset ultrafast output.mkv

So I did this
ffmpeg -f dshow -r 60 -i video="screen-capture-recorder" -vcodec libx264 -crf 0 -preset ultrafast output.mkv

As a result I get this:
[dshow @ 0000000000507fe0] Could not set video options
video=screen-capture-recorder: I/O error

WHAT the fuck am I doing wrong? Recording will work if I specify FPS value of 30 or lower but not 40, 50, or 60. Why, why won't this lazy good for nothing nigger record at 60 FPS?

Don't use crf 0, and answer me this: are you using an AMD video card with tearfree desktop enabled?

this is gonna sound dumb but did you try 30*2?

Wipe drive and reinstall.

the windows bootloader will give itself priority on install, so you will need to chroot into your ubuntu with a live usb and reinstall grub, which is a huge pain in the ass. But after you have reinstalled, remember to turn off fast boot in windows, to prevent this happening again.
It will definitely be a headache.

i assume i need to do that because grub will recognize windows and windows bootloader wont recognize ubuntu. now will grub recognize osx when i get it on there?

Did not work, I am using a laptop with an A10 APU in it, no fancy desktop installed just stock windows 7 one I guess.

No dice

Would like to avoid this if possible.

yeah it will, but you will need to change the grub configuration file in ubuntu. Although, personally i didnt even bother with my mac when i dualbooted it with xubuntu, i just used rEFInd. Either way, its not hard to do.

unless you are using windows for games, why not just use virtualbox in linux?

>Did not work, I am using a laptop with an A10 APU in it, no fancy desktop installed just stock windows 7 one I guess.

Changing the CRF wouldn't fix this problem, it was just other advice.

Back to the point: go to your video driver settings and tell me if AMD(R) TearFree(TM) Desktop is enabled.

gtx 970 or r9 390?

Ok, /sqt/, I have this laptop (HP Slwekbook or whatever it's called) that I accidently drowned with water after a good ol' bottle hand-slipparino. This was like 1/2 year(s) ago. It was on and I immediately shut it off and unplugged everything but it never turned back on.
Now for work reasons I need a second laptop. Any chance this one is still salvageable, and is there anything I can do to check it?

I've got an old dell optiplex 990 that I'm gonna try to turn into a budget gaming rig

I don't know if the motherboard is ATX but that doesn't matter because I'm a cheap cunt and I just wanna throw it in a shitter case I have lying around

Anyway, the setup of the motherboard is shown here in the picture. The black dots are standoffs which are on the case and the mobo. The red dots are where the mobo has holes for standoffs but there are none in the case. Will this be fine? I'm worried that since both of the missing standoffs are on the same side that the board might slump there and fuck my shit up

Could not find that option. I am on old Catalyst 14.12 drivers. Could this be the problem?

r9 390 by far. my buddy got a 970 and he regrets it a lot since my 390 beats it in virtually any game now

My Sapphire R9 280 can't push two 1600x900 displays without crashing on youtube.

So I'm probably obligated to say buyer beware.

yeah i game on windows, and unless i get used to osx again it will continue to be my main os

with either one I hope you know enough to wait like a month because the price of both is about to plummet

I've heard that the 390 is better for higher resolutions but I'm only going to be playing on 1080 and the 970 is like $30 cheaper.
Should I still go for the 390? I'm also a little worried since I've heard that the 390 is a power hungry card.

my guess is that when the new cards maintain stock, the 970 will stabilize at $175ish

what psu you got

Here's the build I have currently.
pcpartpicker.com/list/vFB6M8

Hello, my current goal is to attend a 2 year college and then transfer to a quality 4 year university. Once I finish my degree I'll ideally have finished an internship for an intelligence agency as a computer scientist and will continue down that path.

Before this however I would like to study for a year on my own and I'm looking to power through MIT's OpenCourseWare ocw.mit.edu/courses/find-by-topic/#cat=engineering&subcat=computerscience

My question for you guys is how relevant is that course to my goal? would I be better off learning from a pure computer science course or will the electrical engineering/computer science one cover enough?

also if anyone has a copypasta of other resources that are relevant to this and learning in general I would love to see it.

Wait.

Go to Catalyst Control Center, then go to Display Options, then look at Tear Free and see if it's enabled. This isn't that hard.

550w is a little low for 390 but it might work.

also $300 is an awful price for a 970. please don't get a 970 when the 1070 is about to come out

even bestbuy sells 970s for 280, he can find a lot cheaper

there is no reason to buy a 970 right now anyway...

Someone walk me through the pitfalls here:

I have a class of about 20 students, and I want to get them all copies of an ebook. The ebook is $6, which would be $120 to buy all the copies.

If I buy one DRM-free copy, then e-mail that copy to all my students, where does that fall apart? Can that be tracked by their ebook app (Kindle, etc?) Am I going to end up getting their tablets and phones bricked?

I want to assume that since Amazon ebooks are "DRM-free" then that should be literal and the files can be copied infinitely (even if they shouldn't be), but I also don't believe that Amazon doesn't have a way to track this.

If my max budget was around $850 which gpu should I get? I only game at 1080p 60hz so I figured one of the newer cards would be kind of overkill but I can afford getting a 1070.

This is kind of a tech support question which I'm sorry about but I don't really see this being a worksafe request so I don't know where else to ask.
A relative recently got laid off of work and they let her keep the phone and a lenovo x240 laptop. The only problem is that the laptop is encrypted and she doesn't have the necessary admin rights to add/remove software. She asked me to perform a factory restore but the normal restoration tools have also been removed/blocked by encryption.
I was hoping one of you would give me some direction with regards to how I would approach resetting the laptop to the normal factory conditions, thanks

Very dumb question actually ; why do we need to make android roms machine-specific while we can make a single debian for all x86 machines ?

Why won't my ChromeCast work on my MikroTik router? I've tested it against multiple Chromecast that I know to be working and have no problems with other AP's/Routers.

Networking makes me feel dumb.

What do you mean encrypted?

ophcrack.sourceforge.net/

You can create an ISO of this and run it on the laptop and it will find any local usernames and passwords for you. This won't always work on ex-company machines as they may have disabled local accounts on their domain but it's worth a shot.

I don't see the option anywhere. I've looked for it for a solid 5 minutes under all settings in catalyst.

>Amazon ebooks are "DRM-free"
Who told you that?'

Because we want to play angry birds on our phones.

signal stats of the chromecast.

I've moved the thing everywhere to make sure it's not the signal but here's the stats.

Is there some program that I can run on Windows that would be like Linux Shell?
That's the only real thing that I really like about Linux was just being able to use shell, compile with g++, and write programs with gedit.

Things like Roku and Chromecast are not subscription based except for the services on it like Netflix, right? My parents have a Roku that they bought through their ISP and they're getting charged $20 a month for some "premium channels" or something. I assume those channels are another subscription service on the Roku that they don't actually know about or need.

You're not going to crack it, so you'll need to overwrite it with a new OS install.

There's no subscription. They probably accidentally signed up for something that they're getting charged for.

Update your video driver, that's an older interface than I expected.

There's a few. I'm using cygwin.

Oh, sorry. It's been a bit since I used Kindle a lot and I thought they were, but it looks like I was removing the DRM through Calibre etc.

So let me rephrase: if I come into a DRM-free copy of an ebook (either by downloading it from bookzz.org or removing the DRM manually) is there any risk to my students handing the copies out?

>Update your video driver, that's an older interface than I expected.
Okay I'll do that. So once I install the new driver and stuff should I have the tear-free option enabled or disabled to record with ffmpeg?

My psu broke recently, can you guys recommend a good one?

I bought a 500w power supply, what uses less power, the GTX 1070 or the RX 480?

they aren't even out yet

Nice. Thanks.

Notepad++ is the Windows equivalent of gedit in that it's a GUI editor with all the basic functionality and no learning curve.

>tfw no cd drive
A bootable flash disk would work right?

Disabled.

It sets your refresh rate to 30fps.

We don't know. I suspect the RX 480 will stay ~100 watts while playing vydia though.

any gold certified is fine
doesn't matter the manufacturer
if you want overkill really nice PSU's there are HX and CX series out there that are great but really any gold certified one will be perfectly fine

I like Notepad++, but not sure how I would compile what I write, though. I guess that's where something like what user mentioned, cygwin, would come in.
Also, I assume Notepad++ has extensions for different language syntax then?

Yes. That's what everyone who knows what they're doing uses.

Hmm okay. Thank you so much for helping me user. I think it's the graphics driver, I haven't updated it since like forever. Didn't notice how outdated they were until now haha.

Should.

If you can't get the password this way then you'll have to do a fresh install. Two hurdles here will be getting a product key for Windows (if you're lucky it will be on a sticker on the laptop) and getting the drivers for the machine. I might look for those before starting.

I think it does. Atom is good too. Why not emacs or vim? Shouldn't you be using either those or an IDE?

What's the point in buying a higher wattage PSU?

There are plenty of ad-blocking hosts files, but they all try to be very comprehensive (15k+ entries) Is there a "lite" hosts file that blocks fewer things? Like a 100 most-common ad and tracking servers or the like?

I ask because I want to put it on my router to try and protect some idiots that I live with, so I want to kill common things like google analytics with no risk of breaking anything for them, since it'll be a huge pain to troubleshoot that if it happens.

What happens to my files when I downgrade my Win 10 to Win 7? Will they be all wiped out or would they still remain?