Searching for entry level positions / internships in IT

>searching for entry level positions / internships in IT
>"must have 3 years help desk support + 1 year field technician support"
>"must have bachelors in computer science"
>"must have a car"
>most of them are unpaid

What the fuck why would they even list these as entry level.

Other urls found in this thread:

sarasota.craigslist.org/tch/5617434137.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

To make it reasonable for all applicants except a VP's young adult child to get rejected for the position.

>not doing internships in college

the more I think about it the more I realize these positions really are so undesirable no person would actually apply for them

are these actually for real for nepotism and H1B visas or am I just jaded?

So glad I live in North Europe. Just as hard to get a job here, but neet bux are much easier.

They are for real for nepotism and H1B visas.

That having been said, I would have no problem living in a world where CS students had adequate opportunity and encouragement to get support experience while studying. While internships and resume building positions do exist, they're not as common or accessible as needed to make applications requirements like that realistic.

because HR drones are idiots on par with the average realtor or car salesman
because companies/HR are dishonest with not only posting fake job ads but faking or bullshitting requirements because there are no consequences for them
because they want to discourage applicants to reduce HR's work, leaving more time for facebook, chit chat, and not answering phone calls

apply anyway if the position title and description pretty much add up to entry level. if it's unpaid i dunno wtf you're looking for jobs

>apply anyway if the position title and description pretty much add up to entry level. if it's unpaid i dunno wtf you're looking for jobs

I've heard of an "HR Blacklist" that hr people from different companies share about locals who don't get the message about "applying anyway"

I don't know if it's a meme or not but I would really like to know more information on it

They exist.

(not that user) Heard of it too, have yet to ever see one actually exist.

> help desk support
You're looking at the wrong positions, no sane company asks all devs to be ex-helpdesk
>Year of field exp
You should have done that in college
>BSc required
They want a code monkey

I am quite certain they exist primarily in recruitment agencies and companies that use 1 HR application like taleo.

HR only blacklists people shit talking the company they apply for, whistleblowers, and people who are liabilities for publicly posting fringe politics.

>people who are liabilities for publicly posting fringe politics.

why do they go out of their way to hire SJW-types then

Fair enough, I don't have much experience at all with either of those. Though I expect a fresh applicant gunning for a small- to medium-sized business probably wouldn't either.

Because it is socially 'acceptable' in some regions to hold such fringe politics. I should've said fringe politics that are socially 'unacceptable.'

i wouldn't be surprised if it exists, but on the other hand i think if you get through their computer filtering, get through via networking or cold emailing someone in the department you're trying to work in, they're more likely to just add your resume to the pile or trash it and move on unless you've really done something to piss them off or spam them.

As long as idiots keep taking unpaid internships (which are exploitative and amount to slave labor, basically), companies will try to offer them in the hopes of getting new schmucks.

Experience is valuable, I get it. But this is no way to treat people. Know your own value.

>should have done this in college

Not everyone can afford it. I couldnt afford it even while working since all money went to parents since they cant even afford the apartment by themselves

i only have a A+ cert... nothing else

That's not fringe anymore.

>A+ cert

To be fair, lots of students do little self-guided learning and display mediocre fluency with the stuff they're taught in their classes. People like that have no net value. Even if they could do something incredibly simple, a minimum wage and the cost of having to check their work would exceed the value of the product they generate.

Unpaid internships are exploitative as fuck though. No question about that. It's just that the more realistic alternative is for most internships to not be offered.

A lot of jobs specifically ask for "paid experience only" because they know most unpaid intern jobs provide zero experience.
These are the "coffee boy" jobs, you will not get any hands on training, and they won't let you near their production stack.

I used to do routine server maintenance for a HR recruitment place, on their application server they had some software for managing employees/possible hires, i didn't see anywhere in the application for blacklisting although it did have a ranking system. Then again the software looked like it was made in vb3 and im certain it was 'developed' in an middle eastern country.

>most unpaid intern jobs provide zero experience.

if they don't train you then what's the point in having the position in the first place

tax breaks

Coffee bitches and a nice line to gloat about to shareholders. Even deeper than that, there's a lot of reciprocal relationship shit going on with universities. I remember in my department we had companies offering X slots available for students at our school every year guaranteed. (Paid, mind you, but the logic still applies.) Do you think it was a coincidence that we stocked our labs with product bought from that company? Or that our school gloated to the parents of prospective applicants about our internship placement rate? Everyone has a hand up someone else's butt.

I want someone's hand up my butt desu

My first job as a technical analyst was for a Fortune100 company. 95% of my co-workers were H1B visaholders from SE Asia.

Also OP, stop applying to companies directly and use a temp agency like Teksystems or Randstad or Compucom. This is where the real entry-level work is. Only SMEs and management are internal these days.

"Operating within our Network Operations Center (NOC) you will be calling upon your vast networking knowledge to resolve trouble tickets in a timely manner."

nice to know my "Vast Networking Knowledge" will literally be to plug in printers and helping Debra from Accounting when she deletes the internet again for the third time today

could be worse

jesus, is this one of those "H1B/Nepotism" job postings?

sarasota.craigslist.org/tch/5617434137.html

How do I find a recruiting agency?

Google Maps will have them classified as "employment agency"

will the podunk little places in my town actually do anything for me?

and are they really worth it?

Wow

How much networking have you done? Who does your daddy know?

A good recruiter knows fucking everyone and hears about opportunities that might not be advertised. My recruiter pulled stuff seemingly out of thin air. He sent me job descriptions that I couldn't match up to any online job board or newspaper. my current Client actually turned down my resume but he got them turned around somehow and I ended up landing a job I never would normally have had a chance at.

Temp agencies can feel a bit scummy but if you're complete autist like me they are an effective way to find work.

>We have no HR department
11/10 i lol'd

Are you a rogue?
Rogues do 150k work for less than 50k.

Having been on the other side of this one I can give you some insight. They ask for the absolute best case person knowing that everyone is going to lie about 20% of their resume. They set the goal artificially high because you'll be looking for 10+ year senior admins and get fresh out of college applicants with no experience applying. It's always a compromise down, not up. No one with 20 years experience is applying for jobs looking for 10 years experience, unless jobs are really fucking tight.

Also, the millennium generation is fucking terrible. 2 out of 3 times when we hire someone in that age bracket they get walked out for performance and general lack of understanding of how to operate in a professional office environment. In the last 5 years I don't think we've given better than satisfactory reviews to employees under 27. I really try hard to show these guys how to take the intiative, be a go-getter, and how to build skills. They've all got excuses out the ass until it comes to review time when they get all pissy that they have nothing in the other projects, training, or development columns and they only get 2% CoL raises. It's not fucking hard. You have a year to do *something*, anything. You have someone telling you "hey this looks like low hanging fruit, maybe you could put a plan together on how to fix it" but you turn into goddamn Consuela and hit me with the "Nooooo, noooo. noooooooooo".

Build your skills, both technical and social. Have completed projects. Take the initiative. If you can't find a job, make one. Take an add out in the paper for computer repair. Build a lab and test things in it. Run a mock business from your lab, with all the shit it takes to run a business. LDAP, email,

If an applicant came to me with that on his resume he'd get fast tracked to sysadmin. He'd most likely make a pretty penny in bonuses too.

>LDAP, email,

Not sure what happened to that line. It was supposed to be LDAP, email, file shares, a collaboration tool, backups, ticketing system, network monitor, IPS/IDS, SIEM, etc.