bento.io/
programming-motherfucker.com/
github.com/vhf/free-programming-books/blob/master/free-programming-books.md
theodinproject.com/
freecodecamp.com/
w3schools.com/
developer.mozilla.org/
codewars.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=JxAXlJEmNMg&feature=youtu.be&list=PL7664379246A246CB - "Crockford on JavaScript" lecture series.

>Frontend development
github.com/dypsilon/frontend-dev-bookmarks

>Backend development
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_application_frameworks
backendDevelopmentBookmarks.md

>Useful tools
pastebin.com/q5nB1Npt/ (embed) (embed)
libraries.io/ - Discover new open source libraries, modules and frameworks and keep track of ones you depend upon.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - Guides for HTML, CSS, JS, Web APIs & more.
programmableweb.com/ - List of public APIs

>NEET guide to web dev employment
pastebin.com/4YeJAUbT/
>How to get started
youtube.com/watch?v=pB0WvcxTbCA - "WATCH THIS IF YOU WANT TO BECOME A WEB DEVELOPER! - Web Development Career advice"
youtube.com/watch?v=zf_cb_Nw5zY - "JavaScript is Easy" - If you can't into programming, you probably won't find a simpler introduction to JavaScript than this.

>cheap vps hosting in most western locations
lowendbox.com
digitalocean.com/
linode.com/
heroku.com/
leaseweb.com

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/ProgrammerArt/
reddit.com/r/proceduralgeneration/
learnlayout.com/
pastebin.com/w5ikfA1i
jsfiddle.net/eb59hkLv/12/
jsfiddle.net/eb59hkLv/13/
lmgtfy.com/?q=es6
lmgtfy.com/?q=typescript
wctc.edu/programs-and-courses/applied-technologies/web-digital-media-design/index.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I know python and PHP
>inb4 pajeet

what language should I learn next?

you should unlearn PHP

Go.

javascript

does a general for programmer art exist? vvvv processing oF and so on

maybe I'll have more luck at /sci/?

Try reddit
Unironically

I've never even been to reddit, where the fuck would I even start? that website is from the 90s

I've been hoping to just drop a link for people to r8 don't h8

haskell

start by admitting to yourself you don't really know anything

next step is whatever you think is fun

Perl

>Try
>reddit
>Unironically
pick two

Is there a way I can make a website set up another website if someone buys something from me

wordpress?

I suppose even if I've never used it before

Is there a way to develop a site with an indicator of current people who are looking at the same indicator with an automatic interpretation of abstract art every 4 minutes?

Yes with Javascript

what are you talking about?|

If I have a database on my workspace and a database on heroku, both with different entries since the one on heroku is live and I create a table on my workspace db, can I migrate the new table without fucking over the live data? It's pretty important because I've got all the users on the heroku db

Anyone got any experience of embedding a twitch stream responsively with bootstrap?

Trying to make a site in time for evo where you can click the live streams on one side (or beneath if it's too small) and it'd have a universal chat under the list of streams.

The HTML5 player seems perfect... for ants. And the flash player requires dimensions before it will render.

Any ideas of where I should look?

Can't help you out as I'm a new webdev but I just wanted a to say I'm looking forward to your site, friend

This guys on my case about wanting this. Basically he has an online knick knack shop, and he wants it so that when you buy an item from his store online it sets up a seperate web page store for them for them to sell the item they bought on. Basically if every time you bought an item online it would be listed on an identical site for you to sell it on I suppose. I don't even know why he wants to go through all the trouble of doing that.

That was my first guess but I can't think of a way to apply it to the thing he wants

I'm wanting to learn web development, preferably focusing on ruby on rails. Is it ok just to go in through HTML, CSS, Javascript, Ruby and then Ruby on Rails or is there anything else I'd need to learn before Ruby on Rails? What would you guys suggest as a pathway into it?

Are you guys part of any communities besides /wdg/?

is it possible to change the dropdown border for a button depending on id? like you have 3 buttons and all of them have different coloured borders in their dropwdown menus

use the same css class for the three of them

>I make a website! I know HTML and javashit!
>I am a software engineer too!

well it is bootstrap so it involves js faggotry. Im not smart enough for that kind of dick chopping gayness

>mfw reading TDD with Django book
Who knew testing could be fun?

>general for programmer art exist?
Make one! I'd at least lurk it.

There used to be a general for algorithmically generated images for a while. While it won't be quite on topic there, and might help you judge the aesthetics. There is also which sometimes discusses glitch art.

Learn how TCP/IP and HTTP work between Ruby and RoR. Do a small application with Sinatra and Sequel.

Go and TypeScript are comfy as fuck.

Argue with me

theres no argument. typescript really needs to have type files on npm though

TypeScript is so much more expressive than Go.

I used the "deploy a website" codecademy course to set up a sinple website for myself in Jekyll with Github Pages, and used AWS to buy a custom domain. I'd like to take advantage of my domain name to have a custom email address, and was wonderinf if I should use AWS's SES, google apps, or something else entirely. SES and google apps seem to be oriented (and priced) towards businesses and this email address will be purely personal (I'll be the only one using it), so a cheaper (or free) service would be nice.

Go is a clusterfuck.

fite me

How does this look?

Too much wasted space on one side. I'd add padding to both sides so the content doesn't stretch full width, kinda like Bootstrap's container class.

The problem with that is that you eventually do get full width.

See this screenshot.

Not that user
Collapse everything into multiple rows, then. A fixed sized container would look better, in my opinion. Right now, it looks way too stretched.

Okay, that actually looks a lot better.

Thanks!

No problem user.
Also, I recommend the book "Don’t Make Me Think, Revisited, 3rd Edition". It's 200-ish pages but really easy to read. You can 'buy' a copy at allitebooks

I'll check it out.

Thanks!

Websockets.
Yes.
Chop off bootstrap.
I agree.

Can someone recommend me a book to learn some of the more intermediate/advanced concepts of CSS, like how to use floats correctly, how to go about design specific responsiveness, and how to code dank dropdowns. I know the basics of CSS but I have trouble with those concepts sometimes

I know I could just get bootstrap to do that stuff for me, but I want to learn to do it myself, besides It doesn't feel right right uploading a whole mess of thousands of lines of code just to use one dropdown

>float
It's 2016, use flexbox
>responsiveness
media queries, percentage proportion and clever design

reddit.com/r/ProgrammerArt/
reddit.com/r/proceduralgeneration/

How can people understand git and other terminal based tools... and then get bamboozled by Reddit's UX?

A good tutorial for the main concepts of layouts is:
learnlayout.com/

Some of us still support older browsers. All my sites still work on IE8+

sometimes I don't get why modern css uses all these abstractions like sass, hot reloading, and flexbox instead of the underlying html tables

Learning how to use floats and media queries is pretty entry-level CSS.

If you want intermediate and advanced you can go to youtube and search for "css conf", then watch a bunch of hipsters, SJWs, and Pajeets give TED talks about the minutiae of CSS and how to draw SVGs.

I don't know of any books, because watching lectures and seminars better suits my learning style.

>instead of the underlying html tables

Is this bait?
sass and hot reloading are just so development tools, why wouldn't you use them if they allow you to be more efficient
>comparing flexbox to html tables
Dude

Are there any cheap laptops you would recommend for learning web dev on the go? Started a new job which I'd like to take a laptop with me to practice while I'm there and on my hour lunch.

Any thoughts?

Please tell me if I'm annoying you guys and I'll move over to the stupid questions thread. I haven't used Filezilla in years and I was using it with a different webhosting company. Just bought Leaseweb's package and I'm relearning this stuff.

Questions
To confirm, 'Host' is the public IP address of the server?

What username do they want me to put in? Can't find any reference to this.

What port number do I put in? Seem to remember port number being non-specific to different servers but actually being a general thing.

That's it really. Password is the only think I could find in the info provided using the terms 'host', 'username', 'password' and 'port'.

Host is your VPS's IP address or a domain that points to it. Port can be left empty to use the default. Username and password are whatever leaseweb says they are, they should be provided on whatever page you use to manage the VPS on their website.

Also use google next time, we aren't your personal tech support.

Ok that narrows it down to just username. SQT will take it from here because I can't find anything on username desu.

Thanks for clearing things up for me.

underrated

Daily reminder that there are still devs doing this type of shit in 2016

For username try anonymous and put something that look like a regex in password

i took over a nopCommerce project that needs some fixing up. New to this MVC shit. It's an older version....will pay to whoever can help me out. Serious inquiries only.

There is no fucking way that wasn't generated by some piece of code/software.

`

good luck m8

Alright boys and girls, I have a question for the learned folks among you.

Should I go with meteor or a MEAN stack if I'm wanting to write a web based application?

I started on it for funsies, but a few small business owners around me have expressed interest in it. Just me and one other dude working on it right now, if that helps any with the decision. We're both in between jobs (see unemployed graduates) right now, so we've got nothing but time.

I'm trying to remove the 'active' class from li. It works, but i can't seem to add the class to the list item I click. Why is that?

pastebin.com/w5ikfA1i

>pastebin.com/w5ikfA1i
Use JSFiddle or something to show an actual test case.

Probably because you're adding the class to ".nav li a" which selects and adds the class to your , not the you probably want to re-add the class to.

ok man

It's probably not completely out of line for them to ask you too have SOME experience with CGI and have knowledge of database concepts.

Really all depends on how much experience they're asking for. If they're expecting full stack work, they better fucking pay full stack salary.

jsfiddle.net/eb59hkLv/12/

Not hard...
jsfiddle.net/eb59hkLv/13/

I am creating an app that needs per-user storage. There is no inter-user communication, I just want to store some blobs for each user, but don't want to host them myself. I was thinking about using something like google drive or dropbox, but don't want my users locked into just one of those options, and am too lazy to write adapters for all.

Do you know if there is there some kind of JS or REST wrapper for multiple cloud storage services? Sort of a unified storage API?

>MEAN
Just use a RDBMS. You'll regret mongo sooner than later, I guarantee it.

What is the best way to learn TypeScript?
Can I learn it if I only know JavaScript (ES5)? Because I have trouble understanding things like interface. Should I learn a truly object-oriented language first? Is so which one?

No man it was all done by hand. No some kind of code here.

Does the same data have to be accessible from all logged in devices, or local storage is fine?

>meteor or a MEAN
Both are shit and cancer.

Learn ES6/7 and read the TS handbook up to Modules. Everything beyond is Javashit, that you should not be using.

>RDBMS
So basically just don't fucking fall for the startup meme?

>Both are shit and cancer.
Care to elaborate?

Do you have good resources for Es6? Where can I find the TS handbook?

Both MEAN and Meteor rely on MongoDB, which has had unfixed write/read consistency problems for years, spitting out stale data back and forth. If you store anything of importance, don't use it. For actual reliable NoSQL (if you really need NoSQL) try RethinkDB, Riak or CouchDB.

lmgtfy.com/?q=es6
lmgtfy.com/?q=typescript

I was asking for resources that you recommend and find useful, not what comes on top of Google, but t-thanks

Who the fuck wrote Eloquent JS? This shit is so hard to read.

I hate this field. I hate it so much.

Been thinking of trying Perl out. Any good books I could learn from?

Why is ASP.NET never discussed in these threads?

Might as well COBOL while you're at it.

Will be starting this in the spring. Is it worth it?

wctc.edu/programs-and-courses/applied-technologies/web-digital-media-design/index.php

How do you guys use recursion on your day to day scripts?

Sorry, this is going to sound really stupid but what the fuck is ASP.net?

Is it a web framework for C#? How does that even work?

Non-free and Windows only

>non free
TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS TRIGGERS

JavaScript

>.aspx

what benefit do you get from using firebug over just the regular firefox console?

Explain in a short paragraph why /wdg/ thread is infinitely better than /dpt/

Make one, make sure to link to resources, guide and beginner tutorials

No traps.

Most of us are actually employed
Less cancer
Less autism

I defined the image to have dashed border and 200px in size and the text 20px.

Firefox's 20px seems to be smaller than Chrome's 20px and Firefox doesnt even put the dashed border.

Help