Anybody here think this guy was unrealistically optimistic and happy while being stranded 15 million miles from earth...

Anybody here think this guy was unrealistically optimistic and happy while being stranded 15 million miles from earth? And don't fucking say he had to be that way to survive.

Other urls found in this thread:

wctc.edu/programs-and-courses/applied-technologies/web-digital-media-design/index.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Different people deal with adversity differently.

A 5-minute movie about a guy hysterically killing himself wouldn't be all that interesting.

Read or listen to the book.

Wherever you go, there you are.

Holy shit, Matt Damon was in Star Wars?!?

That would be funny as fuck if they branded it as a full length movie and charged full ticket price with 3D glasses and everything.

Anyone else got triggered when he decided to use ASCII, but also put up a question mark?

Astronauts are specifically trained to deal as best they can in life or death scenarios.

He didn't panic for the same reason many soldiers don't panic under pressure.

The training doesn't always work, but when it does it helps them survive.

Don't remember the movie exactly, but question mark is in the ascii character set.

He had to be that way to survive.

Your webm is much lower quality than the original.

>nobody trains people who have to sit in expensive hunks of metal and plastic out there on how to not lose their shit

I know, but apparently nobody told the producers.

The astronaut selection process is one of the most intense and rigorous things a person could ever possibly go through, vastly more in-depth and revealing than any other type of "application process" for even agencies like state security services (CIA/NSA/MI6/etc) and provides for more useful info in the long run while creating a better candidate in the process as well.

Astronauts all share one basic common trait: a sense of duty as well as a secondary trait of always trying to find a better way to get shit done even in situations where there appears to be absolutely nothing that can or even should be done.

The main character in "The Martian" was wired from birth to excel and survive, it's part of who he is/was/etc, and he certainly proved that he's just not one of "those people" that would kick back, take a look at the situation and decide, "Fuck it, they left me behind and I can't contact them so, I'll make the best of what time I have left..." and that's that.

Nothing presented in the movie - aside from us being on Mars, that is - was bullshit and it was all technically possible from start to finish given the constraints of being in the movie's advanced timeline with advanced tech over what we have right now.

The guy didn't want to fucking die, wasn't going to die, and didn't.

Stop being jealous, you punks, and make something happen with the time you have left. Even god damned fictional movie characters have more interesting and varied lives than you do, for fuck's sake.

I liked the movie due to how legitimate it would be. One guy whose been trained for decades and has extensive academic and hands-on experience would definitely keep his cool in that scenario.

In the beginning he was planning on his death but later felt like living.

What training? You mean to tell me you need to be trained in order to bear isolation? People on Sup Forums don't leave their rooms for decades and cope with it without any training.

Sitting at your computer at 11:59PM on December 31 2009 through 12:01AM on January 1 2010 does not mean you didn't leave your room for decades just because another (even) 10 years passed on the calendar.

>stupid fucking people will be the death of us all

What the fuck are you on about?

Things you can't understand from sitting at a computer, son.

maybe he was a sperglord living the dream.
the dream of finally being alone.

So this is the power of schizophrenia. Hmm.

>2 minutes is a decade
i'll have what he's having

People on Sup Forums have other people on Sup Forums to interact with
Imagine being locked in a room for decades *without the internet*.

>calendar
>10 years to a decade
>2000 to 2009 is 10 years
>2010 starts a new 10 year period based on even amounts of 10

What, you can't into math and even multiples of 10?

>stupid fucking people will be the death of us all

against the law, unfortunately. Runtime has to be on the movie poster.
worse, imagine being stuck with media of your bad taste crewmates.

This. Give me my books and leave me to read for the rest of my life. People are cunts.

>Tfw I thought my phones internet was the cause

sure, but that doesn't make 2 minutes 10 years, just because it crosses over a calendar boundry

2010 ended the 2000-2009 10 year period, but that period took 10 years to pass, it didn't pass in just the instance between 2009 and 2010

they'd actually take a gun and off themselves in case something like in the movie happens

It's no use crying over spilt milk. You could try crying yourself to sleep every night for a year, OR you could just go do whatever it is you could be doing right now.

>implying you wouldn't write a rudimentry imageboard on the base computers and shitpost with yourself as long as there remains food/water supplies

nah i'm pretty sure i'd shoot myself after fapping one last time and insulting the faggots at cape canyaveral through the camera

But people wrote books...

also slowly depressurize the room, autoerotic asphyxiation best death

Haha.

More intense than becoming a Seal ?

I was inspired by the film but they could have at least showed him lose his shit just once. On his knees looking up screaming why! at God. " Haven't I been good you motherfucker? " you get the picture. Then after that go back to being macgyver.

All they do is make you run around and spray you with cold water. Whoop-dee-do

that doesn't sound like Matt Damon

>Runtime has to be on the movie poster
>make the credit crawl really really really slow

This.

They could have indirectly shown him jacking off just once. Would have been more edgy. Average guy would have said " fuck this, I'm squeezing one out. "

Give it a shot then big timer. You'd probably shit on yourself and scream for your mother half way through.

He wants to live and he has all of his food and activities metered meticulously so he doesn't die.
Why would he waste energy in jacking off?

>Why would he waste energy in jacking off?
Holy shit, he's a dude, it's in our nature to rub one off every now and then.

Morale?

>not wanting to be the first dude to bust a nut on mars

>15 million miles from earth

What are you, 10? That won't even get you half way there. Brush up on your astronomy before you shitpost.

Why does Obi Wan have a NASA logo on his armor?

this. you can also bet that a mission to mars would select people who would deal with being stranded on mars in as healthy a way as possible.

even the middle ground between "hysterically killing myself" and "giddily planning the next 6 months' potato rations" would be catastrophic (it would look something like buckling under the depression of imminent death).

psych profiles and exams and shit are common for jobs a HELLLLLL of a lot less serious than (early stage) missions to mars would be. so i would bet that the vetting and training for an astronaut destined for mars would be absolutely comprehensive for every imaginable contingency. because if anything wonky happened past the moon, the chances of help reaching the person in reasonable time are basically zero.

wctc.edu/programs-and-courses/applied-technologies/web-digital-media-design/index.php

Is this a good idea?

Underrated.

No

Give or take douchebag.

>t. woman

close enough

this is exactly what i didnt like about the movie. It didnt ever feel like he was struggling to survive. And the trailer made it look like was going to be a SURVIVAL movie. Felt more like a sci fi comedy.

They did though....
One scene they shoot where he screams and freaks out a little while sitting in the vehicle. I think it is right after the habitat blows up.

yea, the food production he set up was intended to be capable of lasting long enough for help to arrive, when that went to shit (huehue), he was sure he was boned for sure and lost it momentarily

I've used wolfram alpha religiously and never knew it did shit like this. Mainly used it as a graphing calculator to double check my parabolas and slopes.

Exactly. To fucking light hearted. Then the smoking hot female commander wasn't plausible either though I do have a crush on Jessica chastain. She has amazing bone structure.

Nah, he needed to really lose his shit. You're stranded on Mars for Christ sake. Astronaut or not.

Yes, most definitely. There are less living astronauts at any given time than an entire class of Navy SEAL recruits.

So yeah, becoming an astronaut is a much MUCH more difficult thing to achieve.

Not everyone is a tfw no gf r9k beta faget frog like you user. Suicide, when done correctly, is painless.

That would imply Mars and Earth are in static orbit of the Sun and never deviate from each other's position which is of course not the fucking way it works. It changes by hundreds of thousands of miles per hour, sometimes more, sometimes less, but never a static number hence why a Mars mission would take so long:

They'd have to wait till it could be done where Mars was at its closest point in the orbits of both planets and launch months in advance of that.

You idiots can't into general astrophysics so shut the fuck up.

lets be real.
You're stranded on Mars
you have about 60 days of supplies
you find a solution
contact with earth
you are the first person Ever to grow crops on Mars
the first person Ever to survive on a different world for more than a Year
first person Ever to hack a rover to communicate with earth
Imagine, the first person do so many things with a few computers, some literal shit, potatoes rockets, and Passion & Intensity.

wouldn't you be fucking excited & optimistic?
Look where technology today could theoretically get us.

It's called science-fiction not science-reality

that's really cool and all, but i'm pretty sure everyone and their dog knows that planets move
this argument doesn't need this kind of accuracy, really, it didn't need to start at all
mars is a long way away from earth, this is true, and this is all that matters in this case

>excited
>optimistic
nigga, im on a foreign body and unless i do shit ima died

still tho.
when you got the shit you need to do to survive down, you gotta be excited like
"I'm growing fucking potatoes on motherfucking Mars"

I can just imagine somebody being stuck with nothing but my Vocaloid collection.

>nobody thought to being music except this one faggot who brought TWO THOUSAND fucking songs of fake Japanese girls chingchonging.
>death is starting to look pretty good.

Are you a fucking idiot?
You're 15 million miles away and pretty dang clever. Do you lose your shit and be a faggot to death like some based pleb or do you, and this might be a stretch for you, use your BRAIN to find a way to SURVIVE?

God fucking holy shit damn it, you're the kind of person that just thinks the dumbest shit and then thinks that they're clever. I'm so edge lord right now, go fucking die.

Anyone else get hard when he smelled that girls shit?

In that situation, "losing his shit" beyond a brief tantrum in the rover would mean going outside and dying.

His scope of action for the whole scenario is tightly constrained between "bravely and calmly solve problems" and "fucking die".

they didn't show him jacking off all day every day behind the scenes

lmfao

Matt Damon makes the most boringest movies. He also can't do comedy and should not even try. The movie was poorly executed. Cast someone else besides Matt Damon, focus more on Mars rather than people talking on Earth, double the pace, and suck less China ****. 4/10 movie.

He realized that it was a suicide mission since the beginning and accepted it.

Ofcourse it wouldn't. You're using a worst case scenario model.

I understand he had to psyche his self out but it was too much fluff.

I see my thread has provoked thought in you. My work is done here *rides off into sunset*

They should have used the guy who they replaced him temporarily with in the Bourne franchise. He would have made it bad ass. The guy from hurt locker.

It does alot more than that

no, I'd be happy

I bet it'll tell you that alot isn't a word as well.

I liked the character. Humour is very heroic.

>15 million

i believe you need to add another zero there m9

>Even god damned fictional movie characters have more interesting and varied lives than you do
Isn't that the point of movies?

that'd be even less accurate than op's guess

thought the film was crap

preferred interstellar -- martian was a series of unfunny /unlikely gags & the astronaut chuckling to himself

If you read the book, you'd know that once again, the movie wasn't as good.

he talks about killing himself all of the time. they made the movie way, way more family friendly/PC/safe than the book actually was.

unfunny as in the disco music
terabytes of storage and he has disco greatest hits -- seems like whole film was set up around simplistic gags/situations - which weren't funny, or were unlikely. also, at the end, the whole world thing, everyone applauding .. movie = independence day .. was crud

>Your webm is much lower quality than the original.

3kb What is this? A webm for ants? I can wright out 3kb on paper by hand in binary with out even getting a cramp.

I could weave that into core rope memory before bedtime.

directed to target audience, = demographic family eating popcorn

not a serious movie at all

can we have an interstellar thread

gravity was far better than 'the martian'

anyone got a torrent of the original solaris -- can't get an english language version

"family" scifi-movies don't work
look what happened t

was going to say "family" scifi-movies do not work -- look what happened to apollo 13