How come my USB drives and shit work faster on Linux?

How come my USB drives and shit work faster on Linux?
How come I never need to defrag on Linux?
How come my battery life is worse on Linux? (even with powertop and tlp)
How come CLI is popular on Linux but command prompt isn't it windows?
How come manufacturers don't offer Linux laptops with worse specs at a reduced cost to their mainstream products?
Why can't I install Linux on my phone as the primary OS?
>why is it called Linux if it's just the kernel?

T. Normie.

yes

no

maybe

maybe

>How come my battery life is worse on Linux?
legit question

i don't know

Because fuck you.

can you repeat the question?

Figment of your imagination.

Not all kernel modules etc are written by the actual company, sometimes it is a third party but Windows is what a lot of hardware develops for.. also windows is optimized for the desktop.

Because it is intuitive and takes less work to maneuver a good Linux cli whereas its cumbersome to do anything in Microsofts bastardized afterthought.

Because gentoomen would just buy used thinkpads instead.

You can, but only certain phones due to driver and architecture availability along with unlocked bootloaders.

Because its easier to say and it is what every distribution has in common.

>it is intuitive and takes less work to maneuver a good Linux cli

>a good Linux cli
You lost me there.

You can't seriously be implying the Windows CLI is better

SET IT IS BETTER

Calm down Asberger Andrew. Say what you meant to say again, but more clearly and without yelling. You can use your inside typing.

>How come manufacturers don't offer Linux laptops with worse specs at a reduced cost to their mainstream products?
Because MS pays them not to

>CLI
Go to bed grandpa.

Android already runs Linux. You can even run ordinary GNU/Linux programs in a chroot, such as desktop Firefox or GIMP.

There's a chroot with GIMP and Inkscape on the Play Store IIRC.

>needing a compatibility layer

What do you mean by compatibility layer?

chroot just changes / to point to a different path, that's not a compatibility layer, it just makes it possible to have things in / without modifying /

>How come I never need to defrag on Linux?
Part of the file system design.

>How come CLI is popular on Linux but command prompt isn't it windows?
Windows command prompt simply isn't as powerful as bash, although now that bash is on Windows 8 it may pick up use, along with powershell.

Additionally, Linux users just tend to be more nerdy fuckers who want to learn and use the command line

>How come manufacturers don't offer Linux laptops with worse specs at a reduced cost to their mainstream products?
Because it wouldn't sell well enough.

>Why can't I install Linux on my phone as the primary OS?
Android is Linux. There are some other distributions that are made for being ran on phones, as well.

Ok, good questions, I'll throw you a bone.

>How come my USB drives and shit work faster on Linux?
This can come down to a number of things, but the most obvious and likely ones are
ext4 file system, pretty efficient at moving "files" because it looks at data differently than Windows (which is pretty terrible for reasons you'll come to understand when you're older). Basically, in most *nix file systems, every piece of data is all the same, it's all a "file", your core services, your photos, everything is all the same as far as the kernel is concerned. now to really blow your mind, even the kernel itself is a "file".

In Windows each file has to have a corresponding entry in what's called the Master File Table, basically a database of every file on the system that includes file location, metadata, yadda yadda. Any operations require accessing and manipulating this database. If you think that sounds redundant and stupid, well, you're probably right. Also, Windows stores 2 copies of this MFT, but they store both of them in the boot sector of the install drive (usually C:), so if anything happens to your MBR... yeah, your files are unreadable. Microsoft took this approach not to benefit you, the customer, but to make it easier for themselves to implement new """features""" of NTFS in the future.
1/2

Well, on any non-SSD it's a good idea to defragment, but non-NTFS file systems have different "block sizes", or allocations of space per unit of data, aka "file" in unix speak if you follow along from the previous example. Bigger block sizes mean you can store bigger files and read them faster, but smaller files take up more room, since the rest of the block needs to be null bytes, and vice-versa smaller blocks mean you have to split bigger files into many blocks which takes time to read. It's about finding the right balance for what you intend to do with your drive. Datacenter storing huge databases? Probably big blocks. But SSD's almost eliminate this problem by taking advantage of fragmentation to increase read speed.

>How come my battery life is worse on Linux? (even with powertop and tlp)
Because linux, like windows, has to be a *very* general-purpose kernel, meaning it loads a lot of stuff you probably don't even need. This is why Gentoo/Arch users love muh kernel optimizations. It actually can make a difference by turning off stuff you'll never use. In addition, a lot of GNU software seems to be poorly optimized. On the other hand, Apple computers like the Macbook Pro can get extremely good battery life because they have full control over not only the hardware, but also the software, so they can make hacks and things to squeeze every bit of charge they can from a charge cycle.

>How come CLI is popular on Linux but command prompt isn't it windows?
Many linux programs were made for CLI first, so cli is a first class citizen, and GUI's are mainly an afterthought, because there is a noticeable lacking of an excellent universal graphics library on GNU systems. GTK, TK, GTK+, if they settled on one, they might be able to accomplish something good. Instead they're letting their users live in dependency hell.

Around 2012, Dell used to offer Ubuntu at a discount, but you had to buy worse specce'd hardware to get it. Idk if they still do it. There's another company, i think it's called White box or something that has similar offerings.
>Why can't I install Linux on my phone as the primary OS?
There's Ubuntu Phone, but it's quite lame. Basically, google already did that with android.

>>why is it called Linux if it's just the kernel?
Because people got tired of saying "Linux-based operating system".
There's a screen capture floating around of Linus Torvalds replying to Richard Stallman going on a diatribe though, telling him "actually, richard, it's Linux, not 'GNU plus Linux' basically richard was BTFO because GNU is pretty weak actually. When you think about it he wanted to make an OS, but basically made a text editor and a license.

Because UNIX-based filesystems have this cool thing called inodes which are basically metadata adresses (indexes) that point to other places in memory saving you huge amounts of that memory
I guess NTFS has gotten better lately, because windows no longer seems to suffer the defrag problem it used to

Windows defrags automatically in the background.

lol so it still has the problem, and "solves it" by using more memory in the background

Pretty much.

Better than staying fragged though

udev and better kernel block access without explorer and shell getting in your way, you may also have xhci problems on windows (read: windows hates usb 3.0)

ext4 and other filesystems have anti fragmentation methods in place already

manufacturers often put power management systems in their proprietary windows drivers so the open source alternatives you're using for whatever is on your laptop aren't as good

unix is tried and true, better utilities and more programs that actually run in the CLI better than they do in their GUI alternative on linux

Linux is extremely difficult to market to the majority due to having to cater to the lowest common denominator, and because so much of it requires CLI use (which normies consider horrifying) it would probably be a net loss in money. Linux is free for nerds to install it if they want anyway.

You actually can, there are many distributions that support ARM processors (most likely the instruction set on your phone.) The complication comes from unlocking the bootloader on your phone to allow seperate kernels to be loaded, which is so far not possible on apple devices.

GNU/Linux together is the common and most used linux OS so it just kind of merged as language does.

When will Linux get frandom?

> Frandom is a Linux kernel random number generator

I DON'T KNOWWWW

I do

CLI is more popular on Linux because it's so much more powerful and is usually better than GUI in most cases. Microsoft's CLI is a shitty toy that doesn't work.

GUi MAster RAce

>GUi GAy BOi CLub

ftfy

And you're the chairman