Why are we not allowed to have a phone like this? It's 2016...

Why are we not allowed to have a phone like this? It's 2016. These phones have been conceptualized for the last 10 years and we finally have the technology to do it. But nope. It's literally illegal in the tech industry to make a phone that's productive.

Dual boot Windows 10 and Android. I would pay a $1000 to have something like this that wasn't complete chink garbage. The Note 4 just doesn't cut it. Android is garbage, and I want desktop productivity on my phone like back in the good old days of Windows Mobile where I didn't have to worry about problematic right clicks and copy-pasting between applications.

When are we going to kickstart something like this? I know I'm not the only one who hates lagdroid and wants a physical keypad so that 20% of what I type isn't butchered by either autocorrect or the shitforanexcuse onscreen keyboard.

Other urls found in this thread:

indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-win-intel-z8550-win-10-os-game-console
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B019LCMPOG
ft.com/cms/s/0/53a70196-1cdc-11e6-8fa5-44094f6d9c46.html
ark.intel.com/m/products/81195/Intel-Atom-Processor-Z3580-2M-Cache-up-to-2_33-GHz#@product/specifications
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because all normies want is something to browse facebook and send dick pics on.

Never. Normies are more than happy with either android or iOS. They do not care what a bunch of NEETs want. Your best bet is to wait for some chink products sadly.

because normal people are the market

tablets and smartphones killed off old school pda's and UMPC's.

they're never coming back.

>what is ubuntu touch

Some of us do our work on our phone. HAVING AN ONSCREEN KEYBOARD TAKING UP 50-90% OF THE DISPLAY DOESN'T HELP

Onscreen keyboards are just garbage. I've been using them since 2010 and still hate it and can't get anything typed accurately without having to go back and correct it. If I turn on autocorrect it makes matters worse, it becomes even harder to detect mistakes ESPECIALLY WHEN YOUR KEYBOARD TAKES UP 90% OF YOUR SCREEN! So I could type something, and it could spit out something inappropriate, and in my line of work that's unacceptable despite all the memes about it. So I just turn it off and go through the cumbersome task of going back and replacing that A with an S, or V with a C. It's a common mistake because the capacitive touchscreen is inaccurate shit.

indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-win-intel-z8550-win-10-os-game-console

It's chinkshit and clamshell config unfortunately but that's as close as you'll get to your dream phone thingy.

Honestly your idea will never come to light because most people want cheap mobile computing devices that fit in their pocket (ie the $100 zte warp elite). There is not much money to be made with UMPCs because it's a niche thing. Because of that companies stopped making them.

you can basically build one of these yourself with a cellular-connected chromebook that dual-boots a linux distro (in which you can run a Windows VM seamlessly with qemu/kvm)

think outside the box

I've been waiting for the last 10 years. Remember this back in 2013? It never came. Microsoft probably didn't allow it or something. That's what I've concluded at this point.

>cellular-connected chromebook

That won't fit in my pocket.

x86 emulation in ARM chips is painfully slow

OP should get zenfone 2 and run a Windows 7 VM inside it instead. That phone has an x86 chip so emulation will run near native speeds.

Zenfone 2 nigga

then install ubuntu touch

>Doesn't like android, laggy
>suggests Windows as a solution

The closest you can get to a phone PC is the zenfone 2. Has an intel x86 processor so you run a VM of winblows 7/10. Not sure how the stock drivers handle though.

Things changed m8. Hardware is getting pretty cheap, so its much easier to develop stuff. There are a few chink umpc/smartphone hybrids, but none that is running x86 and has unlocked bootloaders.

No stylus input. No physical keyboard. This is the problem .

Nigga you're literally talking about the Zenfone 2. Ut has an x86 chip and the bootloader can be unlocked.

Not sure if anyone has found a way to install windows 7 on it outside of a VM though.

Windows runs fine on most tablets. It's not perfect but it gets the job done unlike lagdroid where apps crash frequently and hardly function properly.

I have a secret for you guys, there's something called a tablet that exists

But that's the point. Its not running is outside the box and I doubt the usefulness of it just trough a VM. Besides that, you still have to use one of them shitty bluetooth keyboards.

The "android is laggy" argument ran out of steam years ago. I don't remember the last app crash I had.

Won't happen until Apple announces an iPhone with a slide out keyboard.

Technology has regressed. It's all Steve Job's fault.

What are you guys gonna code on that tiny ass screen? Everything it could do would be nullified by actual laptops

People will call it lagdroid until the end of time, even when they"ll finally eliminate the last bit of occasional stutter that is has (not exclusive to android, iOS suffers from the same shit). It's a meme, just like the meme where every apple user is a fag.

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B019LCMPOG

There, you fucking happy now?

That's fine, fair joke, teehee. But you can't then predicate a whole thread on Android sucking when it no longer does in that way.

OP's post is garbage

Have you heard of the blackberry priv you backwards retard?

You can't be productive on something so small. Get an ultrabook or whatever rather than a tiny screen to squint at with a keyboard thats guaranteed to give RSI.

The priv has an angry birds processor. OP was looking for something like the zenfone 2.

They sell bluetooth keyboards for it that work in Windows VM I think. See

It probably just sucks for his specific needs. It sure doesn't suck for me, since all I do on it is browsing the web and listening to music. I do work related stuff on either my desktop or latop when I'm on the go.

OP was looking for a hardware keyboard.

OP is retarded, we're trying to help him stop being a retard

Could someone elaborate why arm to x86 emulation is so bad? It has to be software issues right? On paper ARM is already better in watt/performance and compared to the last year there has been major leaps in overall performance as well.

What's wrong with the bluetooth keyboard? He can literally detach it and use it without the weight of the phone. I'd call that a huge leap in phone keyboard technology.

Some rumors say there will be Microsoft surface phone.

I'm aware he's retarded, I was just giving an example of a phone with hardware keyboard.
Bluetooth kb with a phone or small tablet is probably the best bet

Because ARM cannot run x86 natively and emulating x86 code on ARM is extremely difficult and complex. Because of that running a VM of an x86 OS on an ARM device inccurs a performance loss penalty of like 10,000%. It's really bad.

The reason that this phone isn't a thing is because nobody wants to use their phone the way you apparently want to use your phone, which is as a shitposting machine as far as I can tell, that's all you'd really need the keyboard for.

If you want to try not being a retard, buy a laptop bag and spend that $1000 on a 13" Macbook. The new one might even have a built in cellular modem so you won't need a mobile data dongle to be able to shitpost.

Microsoft isn't in the phone business anymore

ft.com/cms/s/0/53a70196-1cdc-11e6-8fa5-44094f6d9c46.html

So basically the general emulation rule. Guess it's also way easier to just rewrite programs for ARM.

Not really. ARM is a shit cpu architecture with abysmal performance so porting most x86 software to ARM isn't easy or practical.

At best devs will rewrite the desktop x86 software into a shitty gimped ARM version to account for the shit processor it will run on. Thus why you see all these shitty mobile versions of photoshop or microsoft word.

Just that keyboard. Don't care about Windows but for just Android with a keyboard (maybe a trackball too) I would murder...or doextremely perverted things

ARM is used because its extremely low-power and low-heat.

Design a mobile with an arc reactor in the back and you can have whatever the fuck CPU you want.

Android, Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, phone/tablet stand or holder. Done. Also doesn't look like shit.

Android with landscape keyboard would be instant buy for me.

Bluetooth keyboards are shit.

>Also doesn't look like shit.
Having a built-in slider keyboard with consistent design looks like shit but hauling around a clunky ass bluetooth keyboard, a mouse and a fucking stand isn't?

What is with thintards and being so autistic they'll go through such great lengths as this to totally miss the point just to make sure they don't have a useful phone?

Maybe someone will make a keyboard for project are?

A nice clamshell one to protect the screen

>one extra thing to carry around
>one extra thing to charge
>one extra thing to purchase when you upgrade

Why don't we just go back to carrying separate dumbphones, PDAs, media players, and pagers at this point?

Well, I thought of my use cases where I would actually use the keyboard. And since I always carry around some form of bag or suitcase and would only whip out a keyboard while sitting down (for example in public transportation or at my desk where I use my smartphone as a chat/mail client/third screen I can easily silence) I don't see I would want a miniature keyboard when I can have a full, functioning bluetooth one and a mouse to boot. Also I have no problem using touch keyboards for situations other than writing comparatively long text such as this one.

Have you actually done that shit? What CPU do you need to be able to run a Windows VM without performance issues?

See
You're a retard if you don't believe that ARM has it's advantages, especially in the mobile world

I tend not to carry bags when they aren't necessary, not to mention there are plenty of occasions where I'd like to type something lengthy where you can't whip out a full keyboard and set it down.

Then why does the Zenfone 2 exist and have better battery life than the iPhone 6 plus and Note 3 you fucking retard?

Just create a clamshell DS like phone and it will sell like hotcakes.

I have AAA batteries in my bluetooth standard keyboard. For 2 years now the same set of batteries. Upgraded phones twice since, the bluetooth standard is far older than the batteries and it will be with us for at least 5 or even ten more years. Yes you have to carry it around. But if you don't find space for a fucking small keyboard you a) don't go somewhere you need to write long texts/code/whatever or b) have a strange kind of condition that forbids you from carrying surplus stuff.

But what do I know, I'm a photographer and always haul so much stuff around with me in my car when I drive to a shooting it's not even funny.

This board is full of underage autists who never knew the pre-iphone, pre-android era of smartphones

See: Stylus input + hardware keyboard. NONE OF YOUR MEME PHONES HAVE THAT. YET THIS SHITTY PHONE FROM 2009 CAN DO THAT WITHOUT ANY BATTERY WASTING BLUETOOTH ATTACHMENTS AND WE HAVEN'T IMPROVED FROM THAT DESIGN SINCE.

Even the flip phone has made an evolution, with Samsung releasing that botched looking android flip phone for fucks sake. It didn't catch on, but who cares? It exists. Meanwhile, what I'm asking for does not exist.

Shit performance. Intel can't into arm's power consumption / performance ratio

Convergence. That is the ultimate goal with tech, to not have to need multiple things and instead just need one thing.

Soon we'll have cannon-lake Core-M/Zen+ phones dual-booting desktop windows and shitdroid with better bluetooth keyboards and precision stylus input. By then nobody will own a laptop. Only tablet PCs, UMPCs, and Desktops will remain.

I've done it on a 3215U without problems

I definitely wouldn't try it on ARM

Because nobody wants what you need.

This, not everyone wants to play with windows 7 on shitty NDS-like piece of shit. Anything important enough should be done on a proper PC. Anything less should be done a phone

Bullshit. That's exactly what I want.

Puss off underage kid

IPhones very literally ruined mobile tech.

Will look into it. Were you able to retain any of the trackpad gestures? Chrome OS has really grown on me

>But if you don't find space for a fucking small keyboard
There are many occasions I've found myself wishing for the ability to actually be able to see what I'm typing, as well as not being fucked by the auto-correcting software that is a basic requirement of software keyboards. But really, why should I have to find space for one? Why is it, as OP said, practically illegal to have additional features on your devices?

Besides, even taking out the "muh feelings" aspect of having a hardware keyboard on a mobile device, it allows you to actually use your device to its fullest, rather than spending $500 on a 5.5'' device with less effective screen real estate than a $200 4'' PDA from 10 years ago.

I wish someone would make a phone with a capable lapdock. Motorola had a good idea going with the Atrix but the implementation was both expensive and retarded, I think it would be way better to have the phone dock in through the front and become the touch pad, with a clicking screen similar to the BB Storm to eliminate the need for software mouse buttons.

It's more effective and profitable to cater to the lowest common denominator.

UMPCs and physical keyboards didn't go away because nobody wanted them, they went away because just enough people didn't want them and enough of the other camp didn't consider them a total deal breaker.

>soon

fuck you. This has been said for years and it's never happened. Don't get your hopes up.

Why do you think it doesn't exist, you fucking downie?

do you know if it supports hardware virtualization? (intel's vt-d)

yup

ark.intel.com/m/products/81195/Intel-Atom-Processor-Z3580-2M-Cache-up-to-2_33-GHz#@product/specifications

no one's tried it

The problem has been performance. 2-4w x86 chips in the past just plain fucking suck. Now they're getting better but are not quite there yet. When we can cram 2GHz sandy bridge mobile i3 performance (2.4K passmark) on at least a 4W cool chip then UMPCs will become serious business.

We currently have the x7 Z8700 Atom processor but it runs hot as fuck and only reaches a passmark score of 1.9K.

Right back at you, you fat autist. Nobody cares about your obscure hipster shit, that's why there are no such devices.

>not searching umpc

Yep, all those retards at Samsung and apple. They don't know shit about what people really want! :^)

And why would that be? Hint: Because it's a shit concept