EGPU

What does Sup Forums think about this?
And why the fuck is this bootloader software too expensive?

techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/1650-diy-egpu-setup-130-previously-setup-1x/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=63OCItSAnXw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

i have that laptop , its shit but works with linux really well (everything works ootb on libre/no drivers distros if you are using legacy boot in uefi). Wifi card is shit tho. Also why you need 3 gimped video cards on one laptop?

How the fuck did it take so long for eGPU's to become a thing? I used a PCI bridge on my laptop for an external video card almost 8 years ago, then nobody was talking about it.

Any drawbacks to doing it? Latency, smaller performance than if you had used it in a normal desktop PC? (supposing CPU is not a bottleneck)

For gaming i suppose.

You lost 2% of the performance because of the PCI-E x4 width, if you had a good CPU it was just as fine as a desktop PC with the same card.

Look for the fps.
youtube.com/watch?v=63OCItSAnXw

if you really want to play games, then why would you want this over a gaming desktop and a macbook?

Ok this is it, never making another desktop build again

Will doing this lower my cpu temps compared to using the iGPU on my t420 while running dual 1050 screens?

You don't, its stupid.
If you had a great laptop for free, I'd consider building a nice eGPU case for it with a single wire to the laptop. But even then I guess I'd actually sell the laptop, kek.

because gaymen think laptops great because they are mobile, and PCs are great because of their strenk GPUs, so the idea of carrying an expensive gpu + psu in their backpack with their laptop is somehow amazing for them.

My guess is your cpu temps will be higher because of the stronger gpu might cause bottleneck.

notice 'lost' 'had' and 'PCI-E x4'
's argument was obviously about 9 years ago

isn't this carriable?
>Dell ~200W Power Supply

>using a 1-2ghz constantly overheating cpu with a GPU
This is the dumbest fucking thing I've seen in my life. Just build a desktop you fucking retarded normies.

Actually even PCI-E 2.0 at X4 won't bottleneck a new card, google for PCI-E benchmarks if you want, it's crazy but true.

usb throttling

>be me
>occasionally lurk egpu forums because genuinely interested
>have to move desktop from home to office (can't really use a laptop there)
>keep T420 at home with ultrabase
>buy EXP GDC v7 and GTX 650 (less than 100€ in total)
>After a little of tweaking i finally manage to make it work
>Everything works great
>Nvidia drivers let you play even on the laptop screen without losing perfomance.
>even maxed out GTA V in 1080p with a R9 280 (AMD can only use external screen)
>TooGoodToBeTrue.pdf
>yesterday
>plug the hdmi to the egpu base
>lights goes out
The damn thing short circuited and triggered the life-saver.
It lasted less than one week, fucking chinks...

Did you last see a laptop in 2006 by any chance?

All laptops are fucking shit. Most modern ones have 2GHz i3/A10 which throttle to 2GHz when put under stress (ie playing vydia) especially ultraportables (see 800MHz macbooks).

egpu's are the biggest meme in tech history. Its seriously fucking frightening that people fall for this scam

See

actually my i5 reach 3.2Ghz staying at 75/80c
the egpu keeps the igpu at sleep, this way the laptop is cooler

Technology is dead on arrival. They will be putting desktop versions of the nvidia 1070 and 1080 in laptops. There will be no more m versions. Im sure amd will follow.

Your laptop processor isn't supposed to be getting that hot. 70°C is already pretty bad for a laptpop. Enjoy your dead processor in a year or two.

No one in this thread is saying that plugging a GPU into any laptop will make it a gaming monster. No shit you have to choose a laptop with the right CPU, and there are plenty of those available.

>All laptops are fucking shit
confirmed for 2006

give examples

this

Also provide proof said laptop's processor will stay at 4GHz 24/7 no matter how much stress is placed it.

I have an egpu card like that. There are some REALLY fucking things with RAM and such that I wasn't able to get working after days of trying. If I was using a Linux book for it, supposedly it'd work out of the box...but using Linux defeats the purpose of having a gaming rig. So...fuck.

Have you ever owned a slim laptop?

IT IS supposed to reach those temperatures, the throttling starts at 95c
i never saw a cpu dying from high temperatures and trust me i've been trough overheating problems my whole life.
I used an overheating laptop for 6 years before it died for other causes

Wow so you retards would rather spend thousands of dollars with a performance 3GHz laptop and a eGPU setup than build a custom desktpop for about $600 with an R9 380 GPU and an i5 desktop processor?

Good goys.

>70°C
>temperature too low to make a good sauna is melting chips

you guys let the liquid cooling memes get to you

So sorry m8

Of what? Laptops with recent i5's and above? Google it yourself, they'll be more than capable of gaming.

Unless your favourite game is prime95 you aren't going to pin the CPU at 100% load, meaning it won't be liable to throttle. Maybe they will throttle at 100% constant load, but we are not discussing stress testing. Also I don't know which dark crevice you pulled 4GHz out of as a necessity for gaming.

He ment a gaming PC + A cheap shitbook. Even if you prefer quality you go for some ASUS Ultrabook to have the same for half the price.