If a solar flare struck the earth how fucked would we be?

If a solar flare struck the earth how fucked would we be?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VVgUZv9ccyQ
gizmodo.com/what-would-happen-if-a-massive-solar-storm-hit-the-eart-1724650105
youtube.com/watch?v=E9ovLBZD1dw
spaceweather.com/glossary/flareclasses.html
youtube.com/watch?v=jxepnIG1yQQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

If the origin of more than 99% of energy on Earth is the sun then we would be literally struck by the botnet, so pretty badly.

very

>the earth
>not magnetic field
our atmosphere would be blown away and we would be subject to extreme amounts of radiation

boil up some mountain dew and i'll tell you

youtube.com/watch?v=VVgUZv9ccyQ

Isn't this the wrong board?
But whatever, I think we'd be pretty fucked.

No.

fugg

gizmodo.com/what-would-happen-if-a-massive-solar-storm-hit-the-eart-1724650105

I wear a mechanical watch.

Have fun selling your bodies for food while I become king because I'll have the power to tell time.

>he can't tell time using the sun

>inferior sun based time telling
>not GOAT Luna Dial

They hit earth all the time.

I don't have any guns so I would be pretty fucked.

If it causes any major inconvenience I'd just off myself t.bh

Colossally fucked. I don't even have a gun, my neighbors would kill me in an instant.

why would they kill you when they can enslave you?

Slavery requires infrastructure. This is more of a resource grab situation.

If you don't have a gun and people start running out of shit you are fucked.

You would be OK in one of these.

Another mouth to feed?
What skills could a beta nerd possibly bring to the table?

Literally the only thing he could do is learn to shoot a gun and then act as a mercenary for whatever group of people absorbs him.

Because the world is so globalized, it would literally wipe out >90% of the human population once food supply chains break down and water pumps stop working

is gonna be fun once people runs out of ammo.

keep a machete under your beds lads.

expects 24/7/365 from sun ^_^

>runs out of ammo
I live in America that won't happen in my lifetime.

What about the people on the night side of the earth when the flare hits us?
Would they be shielded?
If so, only halve the earth would be fucked!

Would be nice if we got hit just when it's 12:00 PM in Burgerland!

If a flare big enough to blast through the magnetosphere got to one side of the planet you can be damn sure that its going to be big enough to surround earth completely.

this seems like it started out from a factual basis and then went conspiracy.

that's how it works maaaaaaaaaann

It would fix politics in America. No more tv, no more assholes spewing shit in a popularity contest.

Well he isn't wrong. It would cause a panic.

Fuck off back to Sup Forums faggot. Tripcunts aren't welcome here.

Knowledge how to survive is very important and most people don't have that knowledge nowadays

just what we need more alarmists

massive infrastructure failure, chaos. mass hysteria. breakdown of social order & state power. Then crop failures, followed by food shortages, hundreds of millions of people will die within the first months.

>not taking even one year of 'scouts' etc

learn to survive pleb

Not much would happen unless the earth's magnetic field got fucked. Currently it's not fucked so it's all good.

You dumb ass niggers are forgetting we have a magnetic field around the earth + atmosphere that repels these solar storms. They have been bombarding the earth for millions of years and everything turned out OK.

The only way a Solar storm could have a slight impact on technology would be if the earth's magnetic poles reversed (this has happened and will happen again) but even then it won't be a doomsday scenario, just machines getting more background EMR than usual. They'll be upgraded/protected with technological advances like always.

Protip: Our tech is sturdier than you think. There is a fucking robot roving around on mars getting BTFO by insane amounts of EMR every living moment but it's still working despite that.

It would be very painful.

It might not be too bad if it happened at night.

flare you

>If a solar flare struck the earth how fucked would we be?
Not very. A bunch of satellites would be fucked, and there would be damage to electrical grids and big radio gear, but that would be about it.
I'm really not sure where all this "THE END OF THE WORLD!!!" shit is coming from.

>There is a fucking robot roving around on mars getting BTFO by insane amounts of EMR every living moment but it's still working despite that.

Yes, but normie tech isn't built that sturdy!
Although I also don't think that the entire world of technology would vanish even in a worst case scenario.

Buuuuuut!
The american power grid is a fucking joke compared to the EU one!
We even have to build special medical equipment for Burgerland because of the almost regular blackouts!
A MRT has to have a redundant UPS. The US is literally worse than a 3rd or 4th world country wehn talking about the power grid.
In 3rd wolrd countries hospitals have their own power plant (usually diesel generator) which is mor reliable than the US grid!
(EVEN WITHOUT SOLAR STORMS)

Ugh you do realize that most Hospitals in the us have their own plants right?

Reminded me of this.
youtube.com/watch?v=E9ovLBZD1dw

Yes, but in yurop the hospitals just have emergency power generators, which are almost never used, because we have a functioning grid. Yoz should really try to inprove this situation (i.e. remove overloaded wooden poles that fall over when there's a little bit of snow)

Wooden polls are cheaper and more sturdy than people give it credit for.

America is too big and too civilized to use anything else. In big cities you will see underground grids but again those get destroyed thanks to earthquakes,etc.

I hope that's a milgauss you are wearing, because your seiko 5 isn't going to survive anything that knocks out power grids worldwide

a solar flare (or CME's) strikes the earth quite frequently. It depends on the class of said event.

spaceweather.com/glossary/flareclasses.html

there are far better sources with fancier graphs and shit but this was simply the one I recalled first for some reason. Good for a no nonsense quick check at the very least.

not really.
There are magnetic fluctuations on earth shield and the class peratining to the flares themselves to consider. There are therotical possibilities that extend far above Carrington event type -- when the conditions for a perfect storm are met, improbable, but no impossible by any means.

Holy shit:
youtube.com/watch?v=jxepnIG1yQQ
You know you're watching something special when David O'Reily's "The External World" shows up in the recommended videos list.