Now that Edge, Chrome, Firefox, and Android browser all support VP9, will Sup Forums enable uploading VP9 webms?

Now that Edge, Chrome, Firefox, and Android browser all support VP9, will Sup Forums enable uploading VP9 webms?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/webmproject/libvpx/tree/master/vp9
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Does Edge even support WebM?

Why doesn't iOS' Safari support WebM or VP8/VP9?

Apple hates free codecs.

The 950/960 and 1070/1080 are still the only cards with hardware-accelerated decoding. VP9 can fuck off until that becomes more widespread.

Name a single benefit of VP9 over VP8

Why would you want to use VP9? You can only hw decode it with Skylake and newer Nvidia GPUs 950/960 and 1080/1070

VP9 is still too young to be taken seriously. It's also onpy worth it if VP9 devs enable 10-bit encoding.

webm isn't free

yes it is the fuck you on about nigga?

/k/ here

VP9 is a fantastic strike fire pistol, although having it appear on a movie before it gets released is something i'm still not okay with. HK need to stop doing that with their weapons, the only upside was that John Wick was somewhat entertaining.

>Edge
>Android browser
What

what is "andoid browser"?

Shut the fuck up

what? my phone has a Cortex-A53 and also runs VP9

Woah bud, calm down.

That webview wrapper from old phones

>VP9 is still too young to be taken seriously.
>VP10 is coming out in months
>VP9 was released FOUR YEARS AGO
>still too young

vp9 is fantastic mate. i dont know why anyone would choose vp8 over vp9

>Does Edge even support WebM?
>"Microsoft announced in April 2016 that the Edge browser will support VP9 (and Opus)."

its much smaller

github.com/webmproject/libvpx/tree/master/vp9

ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudeeeeeeeeeee!

OMG you guys ithey're called LIVEPHOTOSSSSS

do you even think different?

I enjoy the thought of your board but I strongly dislike browsing it.
I don't know why.

>vp9 is fantastic mate. i dont know why anyone would choose vp8 over vp9
Because non-autists use H.265, since everything under the sun has hardware support for it.

i dont know of such hardware that doesnt run vp9.

h265 is literally closed source and worse looking than vp9, slower at decoding too

Because it's a shit board where no one who knows about guns goes.

You mean like how this board is with technology?

Exactly.

The real world doesn't give a fuck about your fuhreedumbs. Fall in line, faggot

Lol i dont care about free or closed either. but free is still superior

>this is what freetards actually believe

i dont get what you mean. its a fact. why would closed source be better? you cant view the source

Don't they already support VP8?

I'm talking about hardware decoding, not just running

i dont see the difference. whats so much better about hardware decoding?

>the real world doesnt give a fuck about your fuhreedumbs
>google literally made their own codec to avoid paying royalties

look at him
look at him and laugh

It allows you to watch the video much more efficiently.
That's about it. Maybe it would be an important feature for laptops or phones, where battery life is important?

yeah they will once they have to start paying the h265 royalties

how does one watch a video more efficiently

also who uses laptops and phones to watch videos

Wow, 2 hours of video time compared to 4 hours of video time. Either way, it's not going fundamentally change the need to charge your mobile computer every five hours.

You are a fucking retard. Just like 99% of the wincucks on Sup Forums

>how does one watch a video more efficiently
Because the architecture of the processor was designed in such a way to specifically handle doing that task. Hardware en/decoding typically is absolutely worthless for most people because it makes the processor larger without providing any benefit most of the time.
>who uses laptops to watch videos
Everyone who owns a laptop?
>phone
No idea. Maybe if your phone has a 7-inch screen?
I'm not disagreeing with you; it seems pointless to not use the objectively better option just because hardware decoding isn't widely used yet.

Hardware decoding is a nice extra but is not necessary. The important part is VP9 support because the politics of supporting H265 and H264 will screw us over in the long run.

>Because the architecture of the processor was designed in such a way to specifically handle doing that task. Hardware en/decoding typically is absolutely worthless for most people because it makes the processor larger without providing any benefit most of the time.
and again? Whats the benefit?
>Everyone who owns a laptop?
who would own a laptop?
>No idea. Maybe if your phone has a 7-inch screen?
my monitor has more inches

>and again? Whats the benefit?
It takes less clock cycles to complete the given task, which means less electricity is used and less energy is produced
>who would own a laptop?
Most people. Normalfags can't into desktops anymore so they all get laptops.
>my monitor has more inches
And my television has more inches than my monitor, yet I still watch shows from my desktop. Convenience is the ultimate deciding factor in these things.

>Hardware decoding is a nice extra but is not necessary

It is on mobile, cheaper laptops, and chromebooks.

>>VP10 is coming out in months
Really? I thought AOMedia was using VP10 as the backbone for their codec so the VP10 team was putting all their efforts into that?

Are you fucking retarded? Or just 5 or 50 years old? Get the fuck out of Sup Forums.

S7 for example has over 10 hours of video playback. S7 edge was over 15 if I remember correctly.

>not watching some shows while on the train/subway/waiting for whatever

Browsers need to get their codec support s**t together. Sup Forums has vp8 webm with no audio when animated webp is a thing.

I would think that a habit of watching video (or any screen staring work) on such a screen for 5+ hours a day would destroy your vision.

Sup Forums does support webm audio, but it's intentionally disallowed for most boards.