>gentoo for source based
there is literally no reason to use any other noobshit distro

Other urls found in this thread:

monster.com/jobs/search/?q=debian
monster.com/jobs/search/?q=__22arch-linux__22
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

NASA didn't get the memo

>I posted the hat dog again mom!

You can add a flag to gentoo's make.conf to fetch the binary package when available.
Portage is the best.

CTO of a Fortune 500 enterprise here, can confirm.
I got a huge bonus for converting the entire data center from a noobshit distro to Arch
Also fired noobshit Debian and RHEL admins.
Hired new admins on Sup Forums and the Arch forums.

NASA = Noobshitter Aeronautics and Space Administration

>fuck stability, i want a timesink

>fortune 500 using debian

Kuk

>I don't use my machine for actual work, so I need to make basic tasks like directory management really complicated to feel productive

>debian for stability based

>muh stability
nice myth
>muh timesink
Debianoobshitters wish they could use the AUR

This has to be bait surely

Let's try this paste now
To every person ITT: don't fall for the special snowflake distro meme

Will only waste your time

Stick with Ubuntu

It's not "for newbies"

The point is: the idea that you somehow "graduate" from Ubuntu is fucking idiotic. "Now I learned apt-get, let's start wasting hours upon hours of time to build from source and gain 0,1% speed optimiziation!"

No, it doesn't work like that

Linus Torvalds himself said "Debian was too complicated for him"

It's not like you "graduate" an OS, Jesus Christ I hate this idea

"OK now I know Linux a little better, let's erase the disk and install a distro that is more unfriendly to the user"? I mean what the fuck

One of the most advanced computer scientist I know of, who is in cutting edge research in Artificial Intelligence / Deep Learning , uses OS X

If OS X is good enough for him, how can Ubuntu not be good enough for you?

Ubuntu is good forever, don't fall for the "For newbies" meme

NASA uses Ubuntu, Google engineers use Ubuntu, the German Government uses Ubuntu

Just go with Ubuntu if you don't have some VERY specific needs... either ideological (Trisquel), or you have security concerns (Tails), etc.

For the vast majority of people Ubuntu is the answer and you will NEVER have to replace it

There will be absolutely no reason to

There is, quite literally, not one good reason to install Arch over Ubuntu

>directory mangement has anything to do with distro
typical ubantooshitter

Top kek

Fortune 500 companies looking for DEBIAN admins RIGHT NOW:

monster.com/jobs/search/?q=debian

Amazon
NetApp
American Express
Symantec
General Dynamics

I did not bother to read past page 3.

Fortune 500 companies looking for ARCH admins RIGHT NOW:

monster.com/jobs/search/?q=__22arch-linux__22

>empty set

You have provided only appeals to authority (Linus uses it so it must be good) without addressing some of the reasons many users decide to swap.

Yes Ubuntu is good for general use. But there are certain instances in which its absolutely idiotic to use it; for example, would you use Ubuntu as a server? Supercomputer cluster? How about a minimalist install on (very) old hardware?

Other people just like to customise their system from the ground up (for the same reason kit-cars and the like are popular), and while this might be stupid and timeconsuming in your opinion it is a hobby for some. Yes you can do this with Ubuntu but its contrived and often obfuscated by whatever GUI tool canonical have added to make it easier for general users.

While every distribution can more or less perform every function, most of them exist to fill a particular niche.

Also you are using a tripcode

>would you use Ubuntu as a server?
Yes
>minimalist install
A minimal Ubuntu setup is smaller than a minimal Arsch setup, bootstrapped plus minimal kernel.

>from the ground up
Virtually every distribution has a bootstrap mechanism, including Ubuntu.

Arch is the distro of discerning kernel developers.

Remember to report frogposters.

I believe it's ROS (robot os) which is based on Ubuntu IIRC.

We use CentOS / RedHat in my lab tho.

>We use CentOS / RedHat
Noobshitters

>use gentoo for years on desktop and personal servers
>lose a bet with a friend, switch to ubuntu
>make some friends irl
>get qt gf
>get a well paying job
ubuntu made me a better person

>things taht never happened

If you check TOP 500 it's pretty clear that the majority of 1337 boxen run CentOS

There is no way Ubuntu is ever as lightweight as a stripped down gentoo or as portable as something like puppy though.

Arch is a poor comparison on install size because they compile all available support into their binaries

Arch isn't supposed to be lightweight. I don't know where this meme comes from. It's supposed to be easy for developers. If you're not a programmer and use arch, you've fallen for a meme.

What makes Arch better suited for programmers than Debian or Ubuntu or Fedora?

Arch doesn't do development packages. If you're using a library, you can compile against it. You don't want to know how often I get issues on github where Ubuntu users complain that the configure script failed to detect a library even though they have the library installed.

They also don't add special snowflake patches which makes it much easier to manually replace single parts.

But what about this?

Abandoned.

More stable than Arch.

Then how am I running a release from a few weeks ago?

Being stable is the prerogative of dead projects.

enjoy your deprecated OS

lolnope. Debian is alive and well.

graduated from Hardcore University with a PhD in Arch

>NASA = Noobshitter Aeronautics and Space Administration
>Noobshitter

My holy trinity of meta distros are Gentoo, Arch and Slackware.

Slackware is simple and cozy.

Their tagline is "a simple, lightweight linux distribution"

This meme comes from the developers. Arch is a meme.

Or you could just use gentoo and know exactly what is compiled with which use flags, rather than Arch's bloated binaries

>arch
Enjoy your broken X
Gentoo is the only distro that actually works correctly and still has packages, and that's terrible. Even ubuntu no longer even remotely works (it used to work but have issues with deps, and bugs).