Trying to max out my old prebuilt POS gateway

Trying to max out my old prebuilt POS gateway.

Got 16GB ram, 750w psu. I put a GTX 690 in there because the mobo won't run gtx 7xx series or higher.

It's Intel B75 chipset with LGA 1155 socket.

Current cpu is i3 3220. Found an i7 3770k for $150. Can I just drop that fucker in there?

I thought I read somewhere that the mobo would only take up to an i5 something-or-other without a bios update. Or was that BS?

I should just be able to drop that i7 in, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/882816
findlaptopdriver.com/specs-dx4870-ub20p-gateway/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Little more info. Model number maybe

Gateway DX4870-UB20p

Already did the only available bios update on the manufacturer website

Give me a min

It has nothing to do with i5 or i7 it has to do with architecture. 2xxx or 3xxx series. It will support 3770 but you may have to upgrade the bios. Look on gateways web site. It has a document but I can't open on my phone it's a zip file.

When I have more time I will get on my computer

>mobo won't run gtx 7xx series or higher.
it doesn't work like that

I say 4 available bios. What country are you in.

Which bios version did you install

I agree. There have been a few know issues with certain crads on certain mb but not that

Let me check what bios. I tried a gtx 970 and a radeon 390. Neither worked. Was told it was because of UEFI vs BIOS incompatibility.

690 fired right up.

Let me check the bios version.

Okay, it's an Acer motherboard, updated to Bios ver. P01-A2

I'd have to do some more research. But it should work. Where are you going to buy the cpu from. Do they allow returns

Does the bios screen a regular bios or is it uefi is there a mouse cursor in the bios setup

It's a regular bios, no mouse. Not uefi and I was told that's why the newer Nvidia cards don't work.

Craigslist. It's the same guy I got the 690 from. He's cool and reasonable, but I don't think I want to make him refund my money if it doesn't work.

Do some more research. If I had time I would help.

I tried, I just know what the hell most of what I'm looking at means. From what I can tell, the i7 3770k works on ANY B75 chipset.

But I coulda swore I read somewhere that it depends on the bios version.

It does

This is why I always recommend building the PC your self. When you purchase the components individualy each part is well documented. Unlike this gateway trash

What state do you live in. If your close I could help you out

I'm in CO, bro

Cali. Sorry. Maybe I can help another time when I can get on my computer and not buzzed

So do I just have to find out what cpus this exact bios version supports?

Yes exactly

Also I saw there is a uefi bios for it

Okay, I found this.

Looks like this Acer X3995 came from the factory with my same bios version and an i7 3770.

So if it supports the 3770, it should support the 3770k, right?

Yes

Either way if it doesn't work just flash the bios

Flash the bios? You mean doing a further upgrade? I think the P01-A2 is the final version for this mobo.

Forgot to post the link.
browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/882816

Looks good, right? I'm not missing anything?

If that's the most up to date bios yes

I believe so. That link is not the same mobo as mine, but as long as I have an LGA 1155 socket and I can see that my bios supports the i7(on a different mobo), I'm guessing it will work for mine.

Not nesecerarly.

Goddammit, why?

Because different manufactures. Wow I'm surprised I'm the only one replying in this thread. Only one other person poster 1 time.

Do you have the means to build a comp

findlaptopdriver.com/specs-dx4870-ub20p-gateway/

Okay, well....fuck it. I'm just going to buy it and try it. If it doesn't work, I'll just sell it.

Just make sure you have the most up to date bios and your good

No, I've already made the conscious decision to tie my money up in my car, so the PC is on a tight budget. It runs great as it is, I just want to drop the best CPU in there that I can and be done with it.

Right on, for $150, the i7 is worth trying.

How does the 690 run? Especially with only an i3. How are the sli profiles in the games you run

Which 690 do you have?

>It's a regular bios, that's why the newer Nvidia cards don't work.
Sounds like bullshit. Newer cards should work fine so long as you have the PSU for it. There shouldn't be any mobo restriction