/hpg/ - Headphone General

-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --
>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/hjHkKDyM

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Noise isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
If you dislike a suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, x sucks"

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last Thread:

Usually purchasing advice request and discussions of headphones in comparison to others or EQing. Sometimes there's talk about DACs and amps and DAC/Amps. And on the rare occasion discussion about DAPs or speakers.

>XML Parsing Error: unexpected parser state Location: jar:file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Mozilla%20Firefox/browser/omni.ja!/chrome/browser/content/browser/aboutNetError.xhtml Line Number 445, Column 54:
&netTimeout.longDesc;
-----------------------------------------------------^

Oh, and occassionally there's someone who asks why X is frowned upon which usually devolves into the asker resorting to insults or superficiality.

How does the XPT100's soundstage compare to other open cans' around that price range?

>Budget
£30
>Location
UK
>Source
HTC One M8
>Preferred type of headphone
IEM
>Comfort level
Preferably more comfortable than not
>Preferred music
Periphery, Tool, Sylosis, Wolves in the throne room
>Past headphones
JVC XX

How should I tighten the sliders on my SRH840s? They're 3 years old now and the sliders don't stay at the length I set them at.

>other open cans
XPT100 are closed.

Cheap solution? Use rubberbands or tape to keep it from sliding.

Yeah, I worded that wrong. I'm curious about how it compares to open cans around that price range despite being closed. Everybody says it has decent sound imaging for a closed can but none of the accounts are really objective.

Open headphones will almost always have a better sound stage.

Would you fellas vouch for the audioengine d1?

This is the most cancerous, pathetic thread on Sup Forums.

>buy expensive headphones
>they're not as comfortable as I thought they would be because the area above my right ear is retarded, but they have perfect sound so I can't get rid of them
>speakers are not an option because of sound leakage

Perhaps you can look at replacement pads or modding them?

Are monitors really not that fun to listen to?

Listen to the music, not the equipment.

Depends on the situation. If you come from some crap bundled earpods to monitors you'll get blown away by the clarity and resolution and it will be fun. But if you're coming from a fun set of cans then it can be rather boring in comparison.

So I will be blissfully unaware if I don't taste the fruit? Cool.

after my own extensive research, i think i've narrowed down between the Hifiman HE400i or the Phillips X2/27 Fidelo

anyone who owns/knows a whole lot about either, could you weigh in on my choice?

also if i were to buy the 400i's it would be my first set of planar cans, so i suppose thats something to consider

I enjoy bass but I really don't like it when bass overwhelms everything else in upbeat jpop/jrock and the like.
Are SHP9500 good or what's best in their price range that is less "neutral" and more neutral using the pastebin terms?

>enjoy bass
>SHP9500
Pick one.

>Budget
£350
>Location
UK
>Source
Fiio x1 planning to change for a&k jr
>Preferred type of headphone
iem
>Open or closed
closed
>Preferred music
indie, rock, metal
>Past headphones
shure se215, klipsch x11

I trying to choose between se535 and ue900, but I open to any other option.

>listening to your gear
Just get equipment as neutral as possible so you can hear the actual audio content as it was meant to be. Inaccurate audio equipment is like an arbitrary and fixed equalizer preset slapped on everything you listen to.

Can't answer on what you find the most "fun" though.

How so?

SE535.

>Fiio x1 planning to change for a&k jr
Why?

Just got these an hour ago for about 110$ equiv
Pretty good doe

>on ear

I would pick the SE535 out of those. Nice form factor, about as comfy as in-ears get and good selection of tips. I personally dislike their dark sound and lack of extension but then again, I'd consider UE900's coloration is worse. Replacing the acoustic dampers on the SE535 allows you to modify their response towards either darker or brighter sound signature. I have mine with the 330 Ohm dampers installed which effectively make them sound like SE535LTDs, adding a tiny bit of elevation in the upper mids/treble and tilting the response more towards my preference. SE535s are really sensitive in-ears and will often reveal any noises your source might have. If you don't have such problems and don't specifically want to "upgrade" your DAP, I wouldn't recommend the A&K Jr.

You should really stop focusing on the transducers used. Being a "planar" doesn't mean anything sound-wise. HE-400i is a bit light on bass but the roll off is slight whereas X2s are boomy in comparison. X2 is an easier load and its response would be more into my liking if I equalized down the boomy midbass. They are really comfortable, have better build quality than the HE-400i and are easy to drive from practically any device unlike the HE-400i.

>planning to change for a&k jr
hahaha wow

you got memed