What is the heaviest compression algorithm?

What is the heaviest compression algorithm?

Not fastest, like zip or gzip, I mean the smallest possible file size.

Is bz2 still the best? What else should I be using?

(for text files, --- daily backups of all my projects)

xz

run all of them and see which file is the smallest.

lzma2 ?
for daily backups of text files you should use version control.

currently am, bzip / xz / 7z seem be to about tied, with xz taking a lot longer than the others.

Was wondering if there was some new obscure hipster g-tier compression program out that I might not have heard about.

this is for personal use and have never worked with it, cba. just looking to dump a daily into a TB i have laying around.

I use xz -zk9ev for my backups, but god does it take a while.

>g-tier
so something that makes the files larger?
like adding in an md5 checksum every 2345 bytes?

7z with LZMA2 and for text only use PPMd

/thread

>all this faggots that never downloaded GTA Vice City in 1 MiB

OP, the answer is obviously KGB achiever.

> Not using pied piper

Get on my level

zpaq

also check out lrzip, it does long-range deduplication and pre-processing on the data before handing it off to a backend compressor (anything you like, including zpaq), it can improve compression ratios on some kinds of data

Fat chance, but do you have a beta key?

>GTA san andreas with 22mb

i gave up halfway through decompression. it was going to take like 2 days...

>not having a server to do it for you

Zip.zip.zip.zip.zip.zip

I'd like one of these, it'd be great for trolling. Is there something like this, or do I have to make it myself?

split the file into 512 bytes chunks, then generate a sha512sum file for them

As already mentioned the paq algorithm but depending on the size of files it may take up to weeks. If you want something faster try arc, better than all except paq and faster than all.

Rar.rar.rar.rar.rar.rar.rar.rar.rar.rar

This was seen as some black magic shit at the time

I've come across a few archives like this and was convinced it was just shitty malware but I was tempted to open in a VM out of curiosity.

md5

Uharc

Not necessarily. When I compress really large text files or data-files that have lots of repetitive patterns in them (e.g., a virtual disk image with lots of 0'd space in it), bz2 compresses better than xz.

I'd go and see about finding the folder where I experimented with this shit (compressed with -9), but I'm too lazy.

Wasn't there some kid who claimed he wrote a compression program that can make a 20 GB movie into a 50 KB archive?

yeah, turns out he was just using the windows shortcut function, rather than compressing anything at all.

10 years ago