/hpg/ - Headphone General

-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --
>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/hjHkKDyM

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Noise isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
If you dislike a suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, x sucks"

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

samsung.com/us/system/consumer/product/mx/e6/30/mxe630xa/7654_MX_E630_V5.pdf.pdf.pdf
amazon.com/dp/B00UUDZO7Q/
massdrop.com/buy/grace-design-x-massdrop-m9xx-dac-amp
en.goldenears.net/12850
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bang

how do i clean this shit?

Are the CX 3.0 good enough for an average listener?
My re400 just broke and they're just 40 eurodollars

forgot to mention, the alternative would be the cx300ii.
This time I dont wanna spend a lot of money since my ears are kind of fugged up and blowing 100 on a pair aint worth it

I love J-Lab Intros for generic rando headphones. Sound good, under $10, nice comfy sturdy design with flat cable, and not fucking earbuds.

I buy them now instead of PortaPros.

BURN

If that dirty bit is part of the pad you could just take off the pad and carefully wash them.

Okay guys I've broke my second hand Bose QC13s by sleeping in them, and looking for a new pair of headphones.

Please help!

>Budget

I'm not broke, but don't want to feel too brutally raped. Keep it under $150 but would prefer a bargain.

>Location
Her Majesty's United Kingdom of Greatest Britain and Bestmost Ireland.

>Source
My phone, since I do lots of traveling.

>Preferred type of headphone
Over the ear but portable. I'm leaning towards isolation rather than cancellation for higher quality.

>Open or closed
Closed because I don't want to be that guy.

>Comfort level
Enough for hours and hours of coding and long journeys.

>Preferred tonal balance
Not sure. Neutral so I can equalise it myself?

>Preferred music
Mix of everything from heavily compressed shite to delicate classical.

>Past headphones
As stated earlier, Bose QuietComfort 13, but they hurt my ears and don't sound as good as my stereo.

I'm in the market for a portable music player under 300$. Bonus points will be awarded if it doubles a cellphone but it's not strictly required.

Main things I'm looking for is a good DAC chip since I don't plan on carrying a portable amp, a good user interface/library management, search function and either big built in capacity or expandable via micro sd.
I was thinking maybe a 64gb iPhone 5S or the FiioX3 but I read the interface on the Fiio fucking sucks.

Speaker question

samsung.com/us/system/consumer/product/mx/e6/30/mxe630xa/7654_MX_E630_V5.pdf.pdf.pdf

Good yet cheap AMP for these speakers.

Are ear speakers memes?

>buy audio technica ath ws55ibk
>bass sucks
>can hear a ball rolling around in the left earcup
Well they were $50

MDR-V6/MDR-7506 are pretty good and you should be able to get them for less than $100. That'll give you a little extra budget in case you decide later that you want to swap out the pads for something more comfortable.

50$ may not seem like a lot in an industry where audiophools spend thousands on gear but 50$ can get you some pretty nice headphones if you do some research.
If you want cheap bassy headphones try the Sennheiser HD202. Great build quality and pretty decent sounding for a 20$ pair of headphones

Well I was thinking about getting the pioneer hdj1500s when I have some more money, does anyone have experience with them or pioneer products?

The Lepai is fine. SMSL SA-36 is also good. That retard in the thread is making things way more complicated. Any of these will work.

Cowon Plenue D

Yea foreal man. I really like this one, looks pretty good.

That actually looks pretty nice but the only place to buy it online in my country ships all the way from hong kong and the total comes to around 350$ shipping included.
Should have mentioned I'm in mexico so my choices are somewhat limited or overpriced.

Hey /hpg/ I'm looking for some new headphones. I've already looked at the guide below 200$ but couldn't find any with the sound I want that aren't overpriced in my country so I've filled out the request form below the best I could.

>Budget
I don't want to spend much more than 150€ in total although I could spend a little more (200€) if the improvements in sound or build quality would be worth it. This budget would have to include whatever amp (and maybe dac) I would might have to buy though.

>location
I live in Germany. A german price comparison website: www.idealo.de although google shopping might work better: www.google.de/shopping?hl=de_DE

>Source
I would be plugging these into my phone (lg g3), my MP3-player (sansa clip v1 with rockbox) or my laptop. The laptop has a broken audio jack so right now i'm using a Soundblaster play 2 USB-thingy that's producing quite a lot of noise so I might need to buy a proper dac.

I would need closed headphones.

>Comfort level
Comfort is important to me as I will be wearing them for longer periods of time (3 to 5 hours a day) but I would be able to accept more uncomfortable headphones if they sound significantly better.

>Preferred tonal balance
What I would want from the headphones would be neutral sound but leaning more in the direction of warmer rather than brighter sound.

>Past headphones
Right now I am using Phillips SHB7000 I got as a gift when doing stuff on my laptop. They sound okay but have quite a lot of sound leakage, Sennheiser cx 160 IEMs in public where quality isn't all that important and sometimes my Stereo system at home (Yamaha KA-4520 and Elac EL75 IIs) because it sounds much richer than my headphones.

Hey guys, this is something only somewhat related, but what speaker would you recommend if I just want something cheap? I don't care much; my laptop's speakers are becoming really shit.

First time posting on Sup Forums and not sure if this is the threat to ask for advice on headsets (I want it for gaming) but here it goes:

>Budget
Around $120, not sure if I'll be able to spend too much money on it.
>Location
East coast so Best Buy, Staples, Micro Center...
>Source
USB or audio jack
Closed I think
>Comfort level
A decent amount of comfort, not too picky about this though
>Preferred tonal balance
>Preferred music
I'll be using them for gaming so not sure about these
>Past headphones
I've been using the same pair of headphones for three years now, they're the "Sony MDR10RNCIP Noise-Canceling Wired Headphones"

Thanks in advance!

MSR7

>headsets
Look at a modmic before committing to a headset. It is _always_ recommended to get them separately.

are there any decent wireless headphones for use when running?

If you do not want to use an armband holder and a wired set of IEMs look at a wireless adapter.

Not really.
I guess you don't need studio quality when running so you should be happy with the Sennheiser Urbanite wireless which are 200$.

Whaddup bois

Fellow runner, Porta Pros a amazing for running, they are not wireless though.

Foam disintegrates over time. You don't clean, you replace.

the ultimate memes.
OK, well, surround headphones are the ultimate memes, but earspeakers are close.

Most iPhones.
The Galaxy S models from the last few years.
HTC M8 and M9.

Fiio players and the Cowon Plenue D for dedicated audio players.
Plenue D can be ordered from the US (B&H Photo as one example) or just ebay.

>Are ear speakers memes?
Calling them earspeakers is. The headphone itself is not, and has its own merits and drawbacks.

Didn't I give you the suggestion of the ATH-IM50 as a more rugged in-ear?

I'm just looking for the 'best in ear headphone under 20 dollars' memephones to be honest; help a guy out? There's gotta be a standard answer for that.

There were those fake ie800's. I forget what they are called, if someone could help me out with that, that'd be nice.
And also monoprice.

Can anyone please recommend IEMs with the most bass for around $60? I'd really appreciate it.

>Budget
No more than $75, preferably around $60 unless they're really good

>Location
US

>Source
LG V10

IEM

>Comfort level
I don't care as long as they're made for a basshead and the sound won't die on either side

>Preferred tonal balance
Bass.

>Preferred music
Atlanta trap (Migos, Peewee Longway, Que, etc.)

>Past headphones
$100 Beats Studio Wireless replicas from DHGate.

>LG V10
What did you think of the bundled Quadbeat 3 (was this the AKG version)?

e10

I found the time to try the L700 at a store.

>Build
Fucking plastic.
>Fit
This is the first Lambda that would easily give me a proper seal without trouble. Super comfortable and lots of space in the actual cup.
>Sound
I would say it's quite neutral but with the treble, while not recessed, a step below harsh. I could listen to them for hours with no complaints.

Best Lamda/10

I'm about to buy a used V10 on ebay, it doesn't come with those unfortunately.

r8
new mdr-v6 coming tomorrow

>shit tier/10

not everyone can be a NEET like you mate

V10 dac is still a good deal, buy it, you're not only going to listen to cows fucking, you wanna see them

A shame, since the Quadbeat 3, both original and AKG versions, would seem to fit the bill.

Hello /hpg/, I got my first pay check, and I want to use some of it to buy me some actually good headphones, even if they are entry level.

>Budget
Around the 120 USD mark, but I can go up to 200 if they are extremely good for the price.

>Location
mootxico, but I might be able to import, depending on the store.

>Source
My mobo's integrated sound card

supra aural

>Open or closed
Closed

>Comfort level
Maximum, I will be using this for long sessions, up to 8 hours or more some times.

>Preferred tonal balance
Netural I guess? I', not sure about this, never had actually good headphones.

>Preferred music
Prog rock, rock, chink cartoon music, meme rap, witch house, ambient, euro beat.

>Past headphones
chink 1 dorra earbuds, and some old ass skull candy cans when i was younger.

120$ won't get you very far in Mexico unless you wait for a sale on either Amazon Mexico or Amazon US (that ships to Mexico)
There's nothing good for sale on Amazon Mexico right now so you have to either cough up more money, wait for a sale or settle for something "good enough"

Well is there anything good in amazon US? I did say I'm willing to import and I'm willing to drop up to 200 US dollarydoos.

Not much that I can see that has free shipping. You'll be paying at least 50 bucks just for the shipping alone if it isn't free.
If you're dead set on blowing your money consider the m40x (120$ on Amazon Mexico free shipping) or the m50x(200$ amazon mexico free shipping)
The DT770 Pro are 180 on Amazon US with free shipping but these aren't really the kind of headphones you'd take outside in Mexico since they're big, bulky and giant MUG ME magnets.
I assume you want to take them outside because you want closed back.

Another option to consider is the XPT100

>Budget
Around 250-300 CAD out the door (taxes in)

>Location
Canada

>Source
Sony Xperia Z3C, Traynor Amp or Yamaha
Receiver

Not ear buds or IEMS, open to almost anything else

>Open or closed
Closed I guess, I would use them sometimes at work but probably wouldn't have the music cranked there, so maybe I could get away with Opens

>Comfort level
Would prefer if they were super comfortable, might have them on 5+ hours a day.

>Preferred tonal balance
Not too sure about this.

I listen to a little bit of everything. Mostly emo/mathrock, but a good amount of folk and acoustic as well. Maybe 15% of my library is hiphop so it'd be nice if that sounded decent through them also.

Ive been looking for those, but all i can find are like the old sony sbh52 witb bluetooth 2 or something.

looking for a decent pair of earbuds around 100$ (location PA)

How'd you get your O2 amp engraved?

On Amazon? There are lots of choices. Like this
amazon.com/dp/B00UUDZO7Q/

Buy it from JDSlabs and there's an option to have it engraved on the order screen.

RHA MA750

Hey /hpg/, looking to upgrade my current headphones to something nicer.

>Budget
$200, flexible.
>Location
USA
>Source
PC, but I'd like to get a DAC/AMP if it fits within the budget.
Over-ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Comfy enough to wear for prolonged hours.
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral
>Preferred music
It varies. That's why I'd like some neutral headphones.

I've had my eye on the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro and the FiiO E10K, would these be a good choice for what I want?

>DT770 Pro
>Neutral
No.

Try K553.

>Neutral
>DT770
Pick one. DT770 are bass cannons.

You might go AKG. The only Senn I can think of is the Momentums.

I need help

ive had a pair of hd558s for a year
they recently got extremely uncomfortable
so i decided to upgrade to a pair of hd600s thinking they would be comfortable
they arent
going to return them

moral of the story
what are some super comfortable good headphones
was thinking about some audio technicas
only want to get over ear

>they recently got extremely uncomfortable
>they arent
Some recent physiological change? Started wearing spectacles?

stupid sens are comfy

shp9500

yeah i was thinking its my problem
ive always had a problem with being comfortable
i think i should see my doctor i think i might have some type of tourettes

i dont need glasses
the only thing i might be able to connect it to is me changing from night shifts to 4am shifts at work
i really like them
but my body might not

Let's ignore price range, or consider it a nonfactor. What is /hpg/'s thoughts on massdrop.com/buy/grace-design-x-massdrop-m9xx-dac-amp ?

It's possible that no headphones will be comfortable after whatever it is changed in your body. Senns have some clamp but after a year your 558 should be the completely comfortable.

Consumerist whore detected

yeah it also might be my haircut
they just dont feel right around my ears
they always feel lop sided
they feel fine when i pull one cup off my ear

Being a consumerist whore would be throwing away the fucking headphones not buying a 15$ replacement earpads you fucking cock mongler

Thanks for the replies, I gonna research these suggestions before deciding.

About my choices, I'm a kind of a hikki, so I won't be taking them outside>
I decided for closed because I live with roommates and while they kinda share my interests I'm pretty self conscious.

Just buy it. I have one, it's excellent.
Can you not buy from burgerland?

you're not a hikki you're just a neet.

you can't beat my record of staying in a bedroom for one week.

Beyerdynamic dt250

MSR7 are bright

Beyerdynamic dt250 if you want balanced
dt150 if you want bassy
audio technica ath-msr7 if you want bright

beyerdynamic dt250

It's not particularly good for the price.

Get a magni/modi combo instead.

m8 learn what a neet is(I'm not one because I work), I have only gone out of my house for groceries since December last year.

wait, is always being uncomfortable a sign of tourettes?
fuck, unless I'm super into something I always feel the need to shift in my sit and fidget with something (foot, hands etc)
sweet, I'm gonna start yelling CUNT at random, that's a conversation starter

depends on what you mean by "earspeakers". that term has often been used to just make headphones sound fancier. though there are actual "earspeakers", as in super open headphones that tend to be larger and placed further from the ears with little to no seal or pads, like studio speakers strapped to your head. floats, k1000, sennheiser had a hilarious looking one. it's been tried many times, though not for a while I think.

piston 3. lower than that hje-120k. piston air looks promising but just came out.

>classical
>v6

dude. I love those headphones but that is a bad pairing. they have such a narrow soundstage, and frankly aren't neutral enough with the mids too recessed. an open headphone would serve you better.

get the 770 then. it's not neutral though, the m40x is. the 770 and m50 are v-shaped, soa bass hump and a bit of a treble spike, recessed mids. I would say the 770 is outright better than the m50 if you have to decide. xpt100 is also neutral and should be cheap enough, and for someone that stays at home it's better than the m40x. v6 is also great if you can afford it, but it is a bit on the bright side.

you might be fucked. the 558/598 is one of the most comfortable headphones. maybe try IEMs or speakers? or something really light like an ma900?

no it's not

self diagnosis is for autismals and psychology students, just see a doctor

AKG K712 if you want wing designs, they're more neutral than audio technica

akg have suspension strap design, not wings. wings is ATH A-series.

I just bought pic related and I feel like I just fell for yet another retarded head fi meme just like when I bought the shitty Baldoor E100 and the even shittier JVC Carbon Nanotube cans. Except this time instead of spending 30 bucks I spent 250.

The sound is just garbage on the 598. Bass is totally non existant and I'm NOT a basshead. The mids and high are distant and veiled. I thought these would be perfect to listen to stuff like jpop, classical, instrumental, trance, and other genres which focus on highs and details but man these sound so fucking shit it's not even funny. They're worthless in any genre, they lack any kind of "fun" to the sound, everything is veiled, distant, boring. To get any kind of emotional response to the music I need to raise the volume to unsafe levels, so they become fatiguing. I'm not a fan of coloured sound so I don't know what the fuck is wrong with these headphones. Maybe it's the complete and utter lack of bass that kills the enjoyment, I swear my piece of shit $5 VE MONK earbuds (another head fi meme I fell for). The disgusting earpods with their bloated V shape sound are better sounding than these.

I'm not sure if I have retarded ears or what, but man I'm so disappointed. After 2 weeks of daily usage I can rule out burn-in and my ears not adapting, these are just garbage, overpriced, shallow sounding ear warmers. Next post I'll post my impressions about the Fiio.

>The disgusting earpods with their bloated V shape sound
en.goldenears.net/12850

Erm

I forgot the pic.

Anyway, speaking of the E07K, I notice no improvement whatsoever in SQ over my on board soundcard, or even my phone. I knew an amp wasn't necessary for the 598, and indeed even my phone can raise the volume to unsafe levels (my PC can make them sound like speakers), but I expected the dac to make a difference. I can't hear any difference even on my highest resolution flacs using the USB dac feature. So this means that the dac in the Fiio is not better than the built in dac on my PC or phone. This device is totally pointless and the people claiming amazing improvements in SQ on Amazon must be retarded or have some absolutely awful sources.

Cool. I'm so much of a basshead that I thought the earpods had bloated bass. Either that or my earpods are fake, which is probably the case. It's not that I've used them a whole lot, when I used them I noticed bloated bass and shrill highs and lacking midrange. But then again I used them for about an hour before sending them to the "worthless hardware that I'm going to sell on ebay when I feel like it" drawer. I also have to say that I use all my earbuds with the foams, including the earpods. Earbuds with no foams are too airy and just sound tinny and shitty, and they're uncomfortable as well. Maybe that review is of the earpods without using foams, which I think is the intended way because IIRC they didn't come with foams.

Have you tried upscaling to 192 or 384 kHz / 24 bit?

>I'm not sure if I have retarded ears
you don from listening to v-shaped shit for too long.

I actually felt similar when I first got my 598. what changed my mind was eq and recognizing the strengths of the 598 which are subtle. you're right it doesn't have a "fun" in your face sound, that's kind of the point. and need a decent amount of listening experience to notice where it shines. mids obviously, amazing mids that make vocals and acoustic instruments sound smooth yet detailed. bass is light on impact but it's very tight and balanced, it stays in it's place, being precise and doesn't encroach on any other portion of the music. in fact you can kind of describe the entire response that way, even if it's not totally neutral. go back and a/b parts of songs you know, you'll probably notice that the more colored headphones you like more are actually muddier, looser, they bleed into other frequencies, there are obvious spikes and dips. the removal of that is jarring at first.

HD598 is literally an inferior and more expensive HD558

I found the 3.0's to be quite underwhelming compared to the 300ii's. Not to mention they have a more snug fit in my ears. Slightly better range means nothing if they don't have a proper seal half the time

What does Sup Forums think of the Creative Aurvana Live 2?

Retarded memer.

This guy has it. My 598's are not at all bass light, and there is no "veil", it's just another meme to describe the lack of emphasis on treble. That's a strength though, it makes them less fatiguing than coloured headphones.

Post a purchase advice request

Yes, I also followed the hints in a review that I can't link because it flags my post as spam (google Marlene Musings E07K to find it). Still can't hear any difference.

Here's a crappy pic of some of the headphones and earbuds I have. Not pictured are the JVC HA S400 ("carbon nanotube" shitstains, but good for the price when listening on the go actually, I've been too harsh on them), Sennheiser Momentum in-ear (gave them away as they were uncomfortable and not compatible with my phone), some AKG earbuds, and my god awful Creative gaymer headset.

You know, I can understand when reviewers on amazon claim they could hear different parts of the sound they could never hear before when they move to a new pair of decent headphones, I too would be in that same boat if I moved from my Creative gaylord headset to the 598, my mind would be blown by the difference in sq (as it is blown every time I go back to them and I realize how bad they are compared to anything else I bought after), and yeah the 598 have some advantages compared to all my other headphones and earbuds, but I still don't think they're worth the enormous difference in price. I can't really hear any sound on the 598 that I can't hear on the $5 VE Monk for example.

> My 598's are not at all bass light, and there is no "veil"
Listen to a better headphone and you'll find out how true the Sennheiser's veil is.
> it's just another meme to describe the lack of emphasis on treble.
It's really not. HD598 have a speaky treble compared to the smoother HD558 btw.
>That's a strength though, it makes them less fatiguing than coloured headphones.
HD598 has coloured mids and mid-bass.

Do you have any cd's? Chuck one in that you know well and listen to a track you like a few times on the hd598 and then on your other headphones.

A lot of it is down to how the album is recorded though, so if you've got a blues album that is almost mono and compare it to something like daft punk's random access memories the difference in sound stage alone will be massive on the hd598.