/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt to use IRC on a web client.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
fglt.nl/

Resources:
man
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/software/bash/
wiki.bash-hackers.org/
grymoire.com/Unix/index.html
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashFAQ
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashPitfalls
pement.org/sed/sed1line.txt
pement.org/awk/awk1line.txt
commandlinefu.com/
shellcheck.net/
explainshell.com/
Sup
unix.stackexchange.com/questions/79135/is-there-a-condensed-side-by-side-diff-format
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The based GNU Bourne Again SHell:
gnu.org/software/bash/

The community driven BASH wiki:
wiki.bash-hackers.org/

The Grymoire - home for UNIX wizards:
grymoire.com/Unix/index.html

Greg's (also known as GreyCat's) wiki:
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashFAQ
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashPitfalls

SED and AWK; your new best friends:
pement.org/sed/sed1line.txt
pement.org/awk/awk1line.txt

The Linux Command Line - A Book By William Shotts:

Interesting, useful and dangerous one-liners:
commandlinefu.com/

Great online (and offline) linting tool:
shellcheck.net/

Know what you are doing:
explainshell.com/

could some one explain to me how to transfer files from windows to linux using lan cable in a such way that even 5 year old could understand?

You must be 18 or older to be on this website.

but i am, it is just that im stupid

You must be developed-adult smart or smarter to be on this website.

Ah, the good old "To get the answer on the Internet you must not ask a question, but post the wrong answer".

Best Linux advice I've gotten on this site.

That's not just true about linux though, that's just fucking Sup Forums you daft cunt.

Here's your upboat, ebin commentary :DDDD

That's true of plenty of other places where Linux is discussed, too.

We? It took more then one person to make this thread? Kek

Part of that is due to people not providing anywhere near enough information with their questions.

If someone says they are using windows 7, that's all you really need to know about their OS to answer generic questions about how to do fairly simple things.
But then you get some chucklefuck asking "how do I install steam on linux" without mentioning what distro they are using, what branch, what architecture, all of which are relevant and required before answering.

They may as well be asking "how do I install X on computer", and are treated as such.

Being smart enough enough to ask the right questions is pretty much a requirement for problem solving in linux, except you get white knight faggots spouting "pls b frendly, no bully" any time someone brings up the fact that you may actually need to use your brain for 2 seconds to work something out.

>memegenerator
summer, summer everywhere

A friend got tired of Macro$hit windows, he is not a tech nerd.
Which linux is best for him?
I'm thinking Manjaro or antergos, he only needs web browser, Ipod manage, music player, video player, torrents, maybe skype.
Arch is a good choice because the forum and the wiki are pretty straight forward, compared witth ubuntu or mint where n00bs are allowed to shitpost or comment forget about x do z to install y.
But thats my point of view.
are manjaro and antergos too unstable for him?
how updated is lubuntu compared with arch?

Sup Forums.org/rules#global

You will not post any of the following outside of Sup Forums: Trolls, flames, racism, off-topic replies, uncalled for catchphrases...

The quality of posts is extremely important to this community. Contributors are encouraged to provide high-quality images and informative comments.

No spamming or flooding of any kind. No intentionally evading spam or post filters.

>install steam
You tell them to branch
You dont need this information.
>arch
If they needed this to not be x64, they would be stating they have a different case,such as arm, but seeing how this is random joe blow Sup Forums...
>how do i install X
You use your package manager and install xorg-server.

You just want something to bitch about, instead of providing any ouce of help.Outside of the package manager, its all transparent.

>ib4 buzzwords.

>beginner to Linux
>not a tech nerd
>recommending Arch
So this is where the "Linux users have no friends" stereotype comes from.

I'm putting Ubuntu on my dads laptop for him, now in not an Ubuntu user i don't know if 16.04 is good. Ive heard something going around that its unstable and overall bad. Can anyone confirm this?

>You dont need this information.
Sure, I'll just go ahead and install a package that isnt supported on debian oldstable... oh wait

Also your image reply doesn't make any sense, are you not able to display thumbnails in your file picker? :^)

>using the smiley with the carat nose

Again, if they had such a special case, they would know what they need to do. Cause yet again, jow blow Sup Forums, isnt going to be using special case software.

>people asking stupid questions already know the answers
So why are we meant to answer them seriously again?

Pic related

Werks for me.™ Seems like a more solid release than 15.10 at any rate. One thing to watch out for is the new X.org doesn't work with fglrx, so if you have an older AMD graphics card you're stuck with the open source drivers.

lol, that's why I'm asking /fglt/
I'm making the installation, my concern is when some update comes and fuck X, technically I can guide him to pacman -U the previous package
It's been years since I don't touch debian based distros, and fedora is kind outdated and needs tweaks to non-free drivers and packages

how much resources does it use? its an older computer but it does have an nvidia card so the drivers will be ok.

If im running 2.6 on an old i386. Im not going to be asking general questions.

pic related

You're not a complete and utter retard, congratulations.

Are you really projecting your thought process onto the general population?

>Image replies means I'M the SMART one :^)

I mean if you're the one maintaining the box, great, but if you want to just set it and forget it, I'd avoid rolling release distros in general and Arch in particular.

:^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^)

What's the best way to diff files in kde? I've tried kompare and kdiff3, both seem to work well but I can't work out how to see just the differences in the files with either of them. For example, I have a list of installed programs from two systems, I want filter out all the same entries and just have a list of what's not in either file.

You're still just bitching, with no relevent conversation.

is there a way to convert a entire directory full of itunes sorted .m4a files to another format so they work with cmus?

>short:
-share a folder publicly, no password or windows "security" of any kind
-on linux install samba (but this not always works out the box)
>Long:
do >short properly and look your distro recommendation
>or
install a webserver on windows, or maybe an ftp server
>or
install putty with scp for windows and copy from windows to linux
>or
install ssh for windows, and scp from linux

>I must have the last word, that means I win, right ma?

yes, use deadbeef and the option 'write to source track folder' if you mean you have tracks in sub directories.

I tried to install gentoo, but it has defeated me.
What is the next coolest distribution to use?
I was looking at trisquel since it was endorsed by Richard Stallman.

Unity isn't particularly heavy. Any system with enough RAM for modern web browsing should be fine.

funtoo, but it is actually cooler and easier.

>You must be developed-adult smart or smarter to be on this website.
that's the dream

what do you recommend ?

diff -y --suppress-common-lines>diffy.txt
>-y
results in 2 columns
>--suppress-common-lines
shows only differences by suppresing common lines
> >diffy.txt
saves the results to a file diffy.txt

unix.stackexchange.com/questions/79135/is-there-a-condensed-side-by-side-diff-format

Sorry bud, some of us can't focus all of our attention on continual shitposting in just one thread.

sorry, put the file names before >
diff -y --suppress-common-lines list.txt list1.txt >diffy.txt

Sounds good, I'll try funtoo otherwise I'll try Trisquel.

Complete nub here trying Lubuntu on an older Dell Mini 10. Does /fglt/ have any recommended tuts for brand new users, or are the forums and such the best place to get acclimated?

What's the point in trisquel? It's literally the same as its parent but with a few things taken out. It might not even work with your hardware.

tuts for what?
Just google for something when you have a problem or need a way to do something.

There are no general first exposure type resources? Just for learning the basics, is all.

>what do you recommend ?
Ubuntu (either Unity or MATE). Just works, doesn't tend to break with updates, easy to get help with. Let him get acquainted with something easy, and he can move on later if he decides he wants to.

I don't understand what it is you want to learn. If you installed lubuntu you have a taskbar, a program menu and some programs to use. Point and click, if you need a program to do something specific then google can usually find a suggestion for you.

Yeah but it's endorsed by Richard Stallman™

Neat filenames, guy.

test

So is putting dead plants in your nose, and eating skin from your feet.

Please do not idolise this hobo.

haha hmm ok

Yes, but those things are both free, therefore they are good.

Holy crap, some janitor actually deleted the first interjection. It's all over now.

f you dislike imageboard culture, there is always reddit waiting for you.

Take your pick, the choice is yours.

find, ffmpeg

ok thanks. MATE it is then, Bomi player even has a repo for it and I guess skype comes from cannonical.
In this case stable>updates I guess

The interjection isn't random pasta, it's useful education.

Haha, no it isn't. Don't kid yourself.

stop

>Telling people what colloquial terms they are or are not allowed to use is useful education

I guess priests touching your asshole is good education for not trusting strangers, too.

Your options:
a) educate yourself, read a book
b) leave this board forever
c) commit suicide

The thread is quiet, besides, it's good to display the maturity level of the same people complaining that linux "gooroos" are immature.

I have educated myself, and the interjection is complete and utter bullshit spewed by a self-entitled hypocrite.

>Stop having opinions I don't like

Why is it you freetards think asking people to leave constantly is acceptable, but reporting shitposting pasta bait is not?

This is the friendly GNU/Linux thread.
If you don't like the threads topic, leave.

just a heads up
anouncing reports is against the rules buddy

thanks man

Could summerfags please leave this thread so we can do our jobs and help each others like everyday? God dammit.

Who announced anything?

A post was deleted in a thread that janitors have proven they care little about, doesn't take a genius to work out what happened.

Or maybe it does.

It's a GNU/Linux thread, not a Stallman appreciation thread. Maybe you need to leave.

Reminder that only YOU can stop shitposting by reporting pasta bait in the threads you want to thrive.

>Calling out Stallmanist bullshit is summer

How were finals? Do you think you'll have to repeat the 10th grade?

Time to uninstall GNU/Linux if you don't like it, faggot. Feel free to use busybox instead.

32 bit OS Flash plugin how? What stupid simple thing am I missing?

Searches all result in ancient answers that no longer apply after the recent changes, or are mostly confined to 64 bit.

I'm open to changing distros, currently running u-mate and lubuntu but not committed to them 100%.

What do you think of GNOME??

Why do you want flash? It's current year. The web is HTML5 now.

That's not how freedom works though, is it?

Besides, I can use cucked GPL3 software all I like at home, just so long as anything I contribute towards uses a sane licence.

hbonow and netflix mostly

>You can't use any GNU software if you ever disagree with any of Stallman's opinions

W E W
E
W

You disagree with freedom?

Nice strawman, faggot.

I like how janny tried to help, but all they ended up doing was killing the thread completely.

>Tfw my mother says she bought a computer with Windows 10 and asks for my opinion
>I say it's pretty good unless you care about your privacy or data or freedom
>Tfw dad says they got nothing to hide so they don't mind

>tfw no face

Sup faggot janitors, delete this thread and /sqt
2.Tech support threads should be posted on /wsr/.

i'm only a beginner to linux
what is the difference between ubuntu and fedora?
i know that ubuntu us based on debian and fedora is based on red hat but what does that mean?