BSD vs Linux

BSD vs Linux
What are the advantages and disadvantages of both?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vXLk9MPFACE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

they're both shit

Advantages:
>

Disadvantages:
>They're not Windows

Linux:
>better hardware support than BSD
>less setup for most distributions, it can be easier

BSD:
>more true to Unix origin
>simple, though not easy
>no systemd nonsense
>no pulse-audio nonsense
>generally better thought out and put-together than Linux distributions

Here you go. This is all correct, if anyone disagrees it's because they're either a fanboy or don't have enough experience with Linux and *BSD.
>>BSD
>advantages
more consistent userland because of turbo-autist devs
smaller install size because of less bloated GNU shit
better security (for OpenBSD, FreeBSD is still pretty shit)
>disadvantages
less software because of smaller dev base, people aren't hacking software to shit to make it work like they do on Linux
performance is bad (OpenBSD) because muh security
>>Linux
>advantages
works with everything because the freetard cult is so huge
performance, maybe
>disadvantages
everything is moving to systemd, enjoy your registry hive for configuration and binary logs
shit security
no, really, SHIT fucking security. you can use grsec's shitty free version of their patches if they didn't rage-ban you for reporting a fucking bug in it
you literally need to run gentoo hardened to make software use SSP and other basic security features
GNU bloat is cancer that spread through the Linux environment, good fucking luck moving to something like uclibc or musl, nothing will fucking compile without 10 patches for every fucking piece of software you try to compile because of super special snowflake GNU compiler macros

+1

+2

git: 'gud' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.

Pretty much this.

I like the GNU 'cancer'

bsd is comfy

>GNU bloat is cancer that spread through the Linux environment, good fucking luck moving to something like uclibc or musl, nothing will fucking compile without 10 patches for every fucking piece of software you try to compile because of super special snowflake GNU compiler macros
don't forget that it affects even BSD users at this point because most programmers are retarded

don't want gmake? too fucking bad

It's really too bad. It's basically vendor lock in, but freetards be "it's open source." Like fuck anyone can just up and modify the hundreds of programs that require all that shit.

One of them has drivers
One of them has modern DE like cinnamon or KDE5
One of them actually can run android softwares
One of them actually works
One of them runs WINE
One of them can be used for desktops as a primary OS

Systemd is not a bad thing. And it is adopted in every major Linux distributions for a good reason. Although if it triggers the hipster within you there are ways to get rid of systemd

I use one of them as my host OS.

Mitigations aren't the only security measures and I am happy to see a BSD user is literate enough to know that grsec and PaX exists

>Mitigations aren't the only security measures and I am happy to see a BSD user is literate enough to know that grsec and PaX exists
i remember you acting like MACs were the ONLY security measure

Never said so. You, on the other hand mentioned mitigations only, which exists in linux

as patchsets that most distros turn off by default

they're also ran by incompetent babies

also i bet you're the guy who was complaining about no KDE5 on openbsd

daily reminder to do it yourself as openbsd is a volunteer project

assuming os x has bsd userland and sorta kernel,
it's BSD
1. more drivers for peripherals than linux
2. Aqua is very modern
3. any os can run android software
4. os x is the only unix-based os that works
5. os x runs wine even though photoshop and other common wine programs are available natively
6. look pt. 4

BSD runs WINE.

FreeBSD has binary compatibility with linux too.\

>Systemd is not a bad thing
Yes it is. They have made changes that break how applications work, and then essentially tell developers "Go fuck yourself and write code specifically for Systemd." The old init system had problems, but that doesn't absolve Systemd of its sins.

>Turned off by default
Linux is a DIY OS, and not windows
>do it yourself
If major things like KDE5 does not exist in openBSD why should anyone be interested in that distro?

A common init system has become necessary to provide a smooth user experience among the distros.

How's your power bill?

So by BSD you mean OSX? Limited to overpriced shitty hardware? Babby excuses are not meant to be taken seriously

>Linux is a DIY OS, and not windows
>being a ricer
of course
>If major things like KDE5 does not exist in openBSD why should anyone be interested in that distro?
because no one who uses openbsd cares enough to port it themselves
>A common init system has become necessary to provide a smooth user experience among the distros.
you mean the smooth user experience that disappeared when systemd happened?

stop acting like you aren't the shitposter that comes in these threads every day

but it's not
mach is a microkernel and can run on any hardware with necessary kexts

People pay his power bill

No one is complaining about the common init system.

We're complaining that systemd makes breaking changes, uses binary configuration files, is a monolithic mess, and is generally over-complicated.

Systemd sucks. It solved one problem and created dozens of other ones.

As a BSD user, I like how it's been pushing people away from Linux.

>As a BSD user, I like how it's been pushing people away from Linux.
until launchd pushes them back

>Enabling grsec = ricing
Wow nice meme logic

>KDE5 not there
>KDE5 NOT THERE
>N-No one cares, do it yourself
Hilarious

>Volunteer project
Linux is also a volunteer project.

>stop acting like you aren't the shitposter that comes in these threads every day
I see you suffer from delusion. Existential crisis?

>user experience that disappeared
Systemd made things more stable than before. You'd never know because you don't use Linux

>breaking changes, uses binary configuration files, is a monolithic mess, and is generally over-complicated.
Use other init system then

Not the guy, but there isn't a lot of interest in the BSD communities in porting KDE5. There are other concerns, and we are simply too pressed for resources to spend time implementing something that's not an immediate priority.

This should be obvious.

BSD (kernel) is better (apart from no drivers), but there's no software, and building shit from linux is quite a pain in the arse.
Linux is crap (codebase), but all the software is there.

Here we go...

"Linux is a DIY OS" is a common belief held by ricers.
>Linux is also a volunteer project.
One that's much bigger. And I doubt obscure distros like CRUX even have KDE5 either.
>Systemd made things more stable than before. You'd never know because you don't use Linux
Yeah right. And I USED to use Linux, I ran Debian for years.
>Use other init system then
Yeah, that's really easy on a binary distro that makes everything depend on systemd

And yes, fucking port KDE5 yourself instead of complaining. Oh wait, that would require you to actually be useful and not shitpost in these threads every day. Again, don't act like you aren't the same guy. You posted that same shitty Wine and KDE5 argument days ago.

>I doubt obscure distros like CRUX even have KDE5 either.
No one uses obscure distro as his primary OS. Use Debian/RHEL/Ubuntu/Arch/Slackware instead. Other distros are meant to be experimental usage and not to be taken seriously only. Just like *BSD.

>Used to use Linux
Systemd was new back then and devs were still adjusting to the new init system. It's all smooth then

>Debian user
(I get where the winging coming from)

> that's really easy on a binary distro that makes everything depend on systemd
Yes, specially if you are going full hipster you should have no problem with it. Use Manjaro OpenRC or Gentoo.

>Port yourself
Hahaha I don't think you understand how major KDE is.
Or is using a DE too mainstream these days?

>No one uses obscure distro as his primary OS. Use Debian/RHEL/Ubuntu/Arch/Slackware instead.
>Slackware
funny joke
>Yes, specially if you are going full hipster you should have no problem with it. Use Manjaro OpenRC or Gentoo.
>tells me to not use a hipster distro
>tells me to use a hipster distro
>Or is using a DE too mainstream these days?
Oh, there you go again with that hipster argument, the only (bad) argument you ever had. And no, I don't use a DE because they're all fucking trash, with the sole exception of XFCE maybe.

>tells me to not use a hipster distro
Only if yo are not going hipster. Since you don't like systemd it is fair to assume you are.

>DEs are trash
Spotted the NEET i3 ricer.

>Slackware
>Obscure
Wow I have been wasting time on a shitposter from the beginning

Here is something you can reflect yourself on.
youtube.com/watch?v=vXLk9MPFACE

Oh fuck off. Don't act like Slackware is a decent solution. Unless you desperately want a copy of Patrick's hard drive.
>Spotted the NEET i3 ricer.
I just use cwm.

When are you gonna post that picture of Drake with "cuck license tho" again?

>I don't use i3
>I just use cwm

How much is your NEETbux?

How much is yours? You're here all day too.

Also the great thing with cwm is that it just fucking works. No ricing involved.

But you wouldn't know that because you're a retard who absolutely needs KDE5, which I just realized you don't even use in your screenshot. Why do you want it so badly then?

No they don't

The OpenBSD project almost shut down a few years ago because no one could pay it.

In real world, people have these "weekends" that they don't work. You would know if you stepped outside your basement.

>I don't even use in your screenshot
What exactly are you on about?

Don't kid yourself, you're here all week.
>What exactly are you on about?
I bet you don't even use photoshop either, you're just here to shitpost.

>you're here all week.
Yeah, not during peak time idiot.
I do use KDE

Why'd you post that screenshot then?

Just fuck off already, retard.

>Why'd you post that screenshot then?
Because it's my host OS? Are you having a brain seizure?

>I WANT KDE5 AND I USE IT HURR
>posts XFCE screenshot
good job

You are both horrible niggers.

In real life, people generally use Debian/Ubuntu for one-off servers, Red Hat/CentOS for stuff that needs to be managed in bulk and FreeBSD for network appliances and ZFS NAS.

Workstation-desktops are either Debian or Fedora.

You do realise people have multiple machines you dumb NEET, don't you

My workstation is Xubuntu

If you care about KDE5 so much that it's a dealbreaker for you if a OS doesn't use it, why do you use XFCE?
>lol ur a NEET
Pretty mature. Good thing Sup Forums can see how immature Linux users really are from your posts.

>why do you use XFCE
Saves memory for my VM?

>KDE5
In my desktop?

Are you ok?

Ubuntu is still effectively Debian.

There is nothing wrong with FreeBSD on the desktop as long as you don't pile on the entire GNU userland which just makes it a sucky version of Linux.

This effectively limits you to a workstation with ergonomics from -95 though.

>no pulse-audio nonsense
I need to try this out.

>it's my host OS
>it's a VM
I really don't get what you're trying to do.

I don't get this hurr BSD can't do X or Y bullshit.

A couple months ago I picked BSD switch to because that's what my dad used in the 90s and I knew a few commands.

I haven't run into anything that hasn't worked yet.
All my drivers worked first try, and WINE works for the few programs I need from Windows.

Best part is, I don't have to deal with Windows anymore.

Look closely at my screenshot. I am running windows in a VM and FYI I am saving system resources by using Xfce

>BSD
no games

>Linux
no games

And you have the gall to tell me I'm brain damaged when you make posts like this?

What's wrong? I see you are so assmad that you lost your ability to type.

What?

He literally just typed a response to you.

Please stop, it's just sad now..

faggot

>grsec and PaX exists
Too bad you need to be a billion dollar corporation to be able to afford the stable (not shit) version of grsec. and even then once you enable all the features that OpenBSD has you end up with a more limited selection of software that works than the ports tree.