/wt/ - Watch General

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that is required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:

youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UClOe67qR_WBa9PHVIfRaykA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for reminder that manufacturers charge hundreds of $ extra just to include this one part.

Bought my first watch. Did I do ok?

Also would it look ok with a black leather band?

Looking at something like this.

How do normal people wear leather straps ?

I sweat enough that I'd destroy it in one day

what is the word on watches from india?

By not being a sweaty pig, duh.

It's impossible during summer.

Leather straps are just a pain in the summertime to be honest. You could try a racing strap, or just give up and go for nato or perlon.

Yes and I guess so but leather on a diver is a big no no for some people. What about a black nato strap?

They're shit.

I dunno user, would black leather shoes look ok with swim trunks?

i put raw leather straps on my cheap divers. i think it would be analogous to wearing birkenstocks with swimming trunks. that being said, smooth leather would look stupid on any diver other than a very subtle/understated one.

pic related is kind of strap i mean, in black or dark brown looks nice with a nice stainless steel dive case imo. on a rolex is pushing it though but i'm not home. to show my amphibia

What about natural rubber?

How well does it handle moisture/ sweat / summer?

Why do you think they're often used on dive watches?

Why the fuck are these replacement batteries for solar watches $25?

Because they aren't harmed by water?

Too bad his question was about how sweaty they are to wear.

Is there a guide for how to fix a Quartz watch and where to find parts?

You're fat, aren't you? Look for water resistant leather straps from Hirsch or Fluco. They're surprisingly breathable.

Be very careful and don't spend alot.
The quality will disappoint

Watch repair talk on YouTube has some quartz repair videos

I miss my SKX013. Goddamn the Mako is starting to get annoying to use, i need more watches but i don't have the money.
Also i've been avoiding these threads lately because of this, well, kinda.
>inb4 arts school shitstorm

Unless it's an expensive movement (quartz or mech) it will be fixed by simply being replaced. Why bother servicing a movement that costs under a couple hundred dollars?

Actually normal weigh. I am just naturally sweaty.

And living in Washington DC doesn't help. This place is a swamp during summer

I want to get one of those kangaroo leather natos, but so few retailers carry them for a reasonable price in the US. Hodinkee's are perpetually out of stock (at least the brown 20mms), and also a bit too expensive. Crown and Buckle doesn't have the color that I want (tan or honey brown). Natostrap.com ships from Ausfailia and doesn't respond to my emails...

More like under $50 in most cases.

Why not ask josef? He's a stand up Bogan

Fair enough, but most normies who wear them spend their days going from air-conditioned homes to air-conditioned cars to air-conditioned offices and back.

Wear it loose enough where you can move it up and down your arm. And of course metal bracelets are king in hot weather. So good.

That's why I'd always buy a watch on a bracelet if one is offered, and then swap to leather as desired. Unless of course the bracelet is shit.

My habring came on a hirsh strap, sailcloth front, with a sort of rubberish back, that one's actually pretty nice regardless of weather from what I've experienced. But I can't find anything quite anything like it online, not even on their own website, they just have calf skin embossed like sailcloth and a different back. It was made for habring specifically, but it's interesting they don't offer the material on any of their normal straps.

what is the consensus with tag heuer watch?
My dad got me one for graduation and it looks expensive as fck but it's too large and the rotating bezel doesnt rotate and heavy for a sissy like me.

I was hoping to get a smart watch like the apple watch / samsung gear S2 or something that would fit my wrist.

Currrently I am using a seiko snk 5 cause of its small watch face.

>what is the consensus with tag heuer watch?
Dogshit impressionable yuppies buy.

Ayyy look what just came in

Welcome to the club, what sort of band will you be putting it on?

Straight from the post office courtesy of Mr. Singh. It's already lost 15 seconds from when I first wound it.

What color NATO/perlon would you guys suggest? I'm thinking grey or blue.

Im gonna keep it on this NATO until I have money to blow on a nice shark mesh or engineer bracelet.

Also r8 my poorfag collection. Still need to add a g shock 5610 and a nice protrek and a few more digitals

>I've spent a lot of money on the worst stuff I could find

Any advice for searching for actual American Hamiltons?

>My habring
Is there any real way to see these without ordering one sight unseen? I've always liked the Felix.

What % of his annual income should a proper gentleman spend on a watch?

≤100% of net worth

But what is it user?

Any suggestions would be welcomed. I'd prefer not to spend more than $85 usd or wait 2+ weeks for transpacific shipping, that's all. I got a dark brown 18mm one and would like a tan 20mm one. They're so thin and comfy. Pic related.

Is there no AD near you?

Oh shit, never really noticed the list of AD's on the website. Looks like the nearest to me AD is still ~150 miles away but it looks like they have quite a selection of brands. Still 150 miles away, though.

>Falling for marketing
Hipsters wear apple watches
I've loved databanks since I saw my first one in the 1st grade

Which rubber Hirsch rubber strap would you recommend on a standard Speedy?

I haven't used any of their straps other than what they make for Habring. You'd have to read reviews online. I've heard good things about Sinn rubber as well.

Hey goys, recently got an alpinist and ride a motorbike most places. Will the vibration and movement from the bike damage the watch mechanisms?

Depends how much your handlebars vibrate. If you put it in a pocket on your torso it should be fine. I generally use my g-shock on motorcycles, but otherwise it goes in inner jacket pocket or something.

Have a look in the handbook that comes with it

Watches aren't all that fragile, but vibrations on a motorbike can be pretty substansial and go for a long duration. Put it in a pocket if you are worried

>bragging about your taste not improving since you were a first-grader

Because rechargeable batteries cost money you fucking cro-magnon moron.

A hacking lever. To stop the seconds hand.

I killed several 7S26 movements cycling on country roads near my house, haven't done the same with my 6R15 but it has withstood other forms of abuse just fine.

I would personally recommend a quartz watch if you're going to ride a motorbike. Or a Vostok, you can't hurt Vostoks, I chop wood with my 2414 and it just does not give a shit. Otherwise keep the 6R15 in a pocket or something as NineFag suggested.

Alright thanks

>watch batteries are dirt cheap
>rechargeable batteries are dirt cheap
>rechargeable watch batteries are not dirt cheap
??????

Ill have a look at postage and see if it's worth it for you, what state postcode are you in?

Just got a sewing machine. Time to plan out a watch strap.

anyone here have a Seiko Shogun or are you all poorfags telling yourselves you'll never need a "better" diver than the scubadude?

Glorious 1985 Swiss meme

>no shitload of text on the dial
Good.

Bought my first German wall watch

why hasn't there been a company that automates the whole mechanical watch construction thing so that sane people could actually afford them? 15k for a complicated watch is fucking insane in 2016

>$15k
>insane

How complicated/precise do you think the machinery would need to be to make such a watch? If anything it would drive the price up.

One of the draws of mechanical watches is that they've required skilled human hands to bring them into being. Particularly at the higher end.

People want their spring drive minute repeaters to have the gongs made by a blacksmith, whos father was a blacksmith, and grandfather was a blacksmith, and great grandfather was a blacksmith, and great great grandfather was a blacksmith, etc. They say Munemichi Myochin is the 52nd generation of blacksmith.

could they have made those hands look any more like a cock and balls?

Dude are you retarded? We have machines that move individual atoms I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be so difficult to automate making a watch

>Dude are you retarded?
Oh, user...

and those machine produce consumer goods at non-"insane" prices?

So would using the machines you're referring to make the watch cheaper?

>why hasn't there been a company that automates the whole mechanical watch construction

It's called the Swatch Sistem51 and you should probably stay away from it. They can never be repaired, you just throw them away. I can't find the link now but somebody did a literal teardown of one and it's got some plastic parts where every other company uses metal for them and the timegrapher reading was bad. Some people like them and say they haven't had any problems but others have had problems right out of the box so obviously quality is very hit or miss.

is everyone in this thread fucking with me? the circuitry in your phone doesn't cost 15k even though it's millions of times more complicated to build. Sup Forums somehow got even dumber

my point is there can't possibly be a reason why a person has to make these instead of machines, you should be able to at least produce whatever the most complicated and expensive watch better and cheaper by cutting out the human assembly

You must be the only one here who isn't dumb. Bully for you. I bet it's like that everywhere you go, too.

One of the main things was "It's all held together withe one screw!" which was a big lie. It's now held together with 1 screw because they made it functionally the entire movement 2 pieces by soldering everything else together, the screw just holds on the oscillating weight to the entire movement which is now considered "one piece."

Well then the answer is obvious.
You need to get your hands on those machines and start making amazing watches and making huge profits.

so you're saying I'm wrong in my logic, could you explain the magical watch construction that can't be reproduced artificially? because I'm ignorant and would love to learn

As someone who lives in Los Angeles I want to like Weiss but wish they'd make something a little smaller for my 6.5" bitchwrists. Are you a fan of them 9gag?

>so you're saying I'm wrong in my logic
I don't think you're really made any logical argument, just an ill-informed opinion. Watch production only recently saw any success in complete automation In fact, complete automation of anything is very difficult. Much more difficult than you might realize. While car assembly lines use a LOT of machines, and are some of the best examples of automation, it still takes a worker to put the doors on. You can see it on Ford, you can see it on Porsche.

Even your example of the phone -- what would happen if we went to phone factory? We'd see rows and rows of workers completing tasks manually.

Complete automation takes significant time, effort and quite a lot of production to make a return on. This is why extremely high volume items like cans and bottles do well.

He wants to have American become a premier watchmaking country again, that's cool view. The watches themselves have a fine look about them, but they're not anything amazing, and still largely swiss components.

If I received one as a gift I'd wear it. I don't plan on purchasing one.

I guess maybe the market for expensive watches must be shrinking at a ridiculous rate, I mean really the size of your dick must be directly related to how expensive and absurd you car and watch is. I understand you think it's art worth that money but it's just silly

No doubt one day user will accidently find a vacheron for over 1 million and wet his pants while screaming and crying

Hahaha I'm never going to unsee that now you pervert!
German phallic clock

Actuality is phone circuitry is orders of magnitude less complex than a gyro tourbillon and the materials are alot cheaper

I have no idea what the hell you're trying to say, but I will mention that the watch industry has seen pretty significant growth at the high end over the last 10 years.

He's saying you have a small penis, ninefag.

youtubed fake vs real DW. hilarity ensued.

basically some other company by the name of Eugéne Farcot has been commenting a lot on DW youtube videos, trying to and failing at raising brand awareness of their line of the DW clone.

their channel:
youtube.com/channel/UClOe67qR_WBa9PHVIfRaykA

then I found their FB page pic related

sup TGV

nice to know that another user has the databank. I actually use mine daily. wish it had day/date instead of dual time crap.

nice pulsar btw

fake or real DW?

watches are tools breh :D

yeah, let's automate a hospital. nice idea
t. sour grapes fox

"oh wow. it's like millionaires/billionaires are consumers and can be watch enthusiasts too!"

his ignorance hurts.

cirno chan, ignore the dumbass pls

Watch this nigger.

bro automated hospitals will save millions of lives. You watch fucks fetishize luddite thinking like somehow there's nobility in doing things the old fashioned way

go build some robots and make your own hospital breh. nobody is stopping you

do build the automated ambulance drivers, janitors, nurses, doctors, diet aides, counselors, therapists, CNAs, administrators, technicians, etc...

your overreliance of technology is a sign of advanced autism

seek some non robotic medical help.
you can thank me later or don't. :D

ebin maymay my friend. here's your (you)

>got hammered
>went on ebay
>type in hmt
>browsing watches
>see one ad that had 38 seconds left on it
>drunk mind panics and thinks "THAT'S ENDING SOON QUICK BID ON IT"
>bid without even looking at watch
>six dollars w/ free shipping
>one of those glashutte 60's style dials with a blue dial
i guess it could've been worse, i just don't think i'm ready for the curry stench when the box inevitably gets to my home
pic related, it's the left watch with a powder blue dial

lol yeah because everything you're mentioning isn't technology. You literally think like a luddite man. in 15 years you'll be complaining about the same shit while a car drives you safely wherever you want and a robot builds all your shit. Same people who bitch about Google while using all of Google's services.

Semiconductors are just etched in place from a single wafer. Actually fitting multiple parts together is a hard problem for automation and usually done by hand.

New Komandirskie K-39 models.

God dammit Vostok, i don't have enough shekels for all the new models. I guess i'll got for one of the new regular dirskies and one of the models on the left of this pic.

>Stainless steel,
>automatic,
>200m,
>display back.
>Tritium
>24 hour hand, some models
>24 hour day/night disk on some models

I like that GMT

because watchmaking is an art.

I don't say that to sound fruity or high and mighty or anything really. I say that only to indicate that the machines required to fully automate high end watch manufacture, assembly, and regulation do not exist.

The fact is if they did, they would be used, especially by Swatch group and other companies that make "Swiss Made" watches.

There is also no reason to spend the money to develop these machines because the resulting cheaper product will never offset the cost of developing the technology.

I guess a better word than Art, would be Craft. Watchmaking is a craft, and as such, it requires a human touch if it is to be made to any degree of excellence. Every craft is this way.

I guess I understand why it hasn't been done up to this point, but I mean soon you're going to have cheap robots as dexterous as humans with the ability to watch what you do and learn by example. it's not that I don't appreciate the work and thought that go into these watches, they're beautiful. I just honestly would like to buy one and there's no way I'll ever spend anywhere near the money they cost.

I'm looking for a PVD cushion case chronograph with some automotive inspiration. Does such a thing exist? I also have a ETA 7750 sitting around somewhere if anyone knows of a case matching this description.

Well marketed watches that should cost at least half what they do.

They also need to drop the 'TAG' from the brand as the TAG Group are nothing to do with them now and they were last decent when they were just Heuer. Pic related.

Hilariously he turned down an Omega for this film because he thought they'd use his name to market their product. It'd be nice to see someone using a watch for reasons other than marketing. At the moment i'm not worth enough to try them all for myself. It'd be nice to get some honest information once in a while.

So, in conclusion, you're just butthurt because you can't afford one.
>remain assblasted and gtfo

Yeah, his watch of choice in his personal life seemed to be a no-date Sub.

Diving. Driving. I think he's confused, though I can seem the similarity.