There is any actual reason to use a network card over the integrated one?

There is any actual reason to use a network card over the integrated one?

Why are they still a thing?

Even my pentium 3 had integrated ethernet

Wi-Fi

/thread

they can be much better under load depending on the make

check pfsense boards

also depending on your needs you may want several ports or faster speeds than your integrated provides

None. You can already use your android phone as a wifi router btw (pdanet).

>Wi-Fi

No unless you need more than 1 port some reason.

they are meme hardware just like sound cards and dvd/dv/bd drives

You can tell the difference between onboard and a cheap $30 sound card.

>There is any actual reason to use a network card over the integrated one?
The integrated one might be shit, not have enough ports, or not be of the speed you want it.

Or it just might not work and you don't want a new mobo.

I got the Asus Z170 Deluxe and it has insanely fast inbuilt wifi and lan, and fantastic integrated sound. Discrete cards why?

10 Gigabit ethernet

I set up secondary pc for occasional gaymen, which I use with Synergy over a crosslink cable for convenience sake. When using the onboard NIC, Synergy randomly drops connection somewhere the fraction of a second and a solid minute. I haven't had those problems since using a separate network card.

I have have an MSI motherboard (got it on sale) which uses Killer networking. It's terrible. Doesn't work some of the time, sometimes switches off and on, or it has memoryleaks. That's why I use one

This is the only reason i have ever bothered with network cards. Missing or broken ports.

10GB, multiport, Infiniband, offloading, FCAL, bad onboard...

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio...

I hate how they always put those shitty Realtek cards onto motherboards.

you want a non shitty intel nic ?

You want multiple nics?

>Even my pentium 3 had integrated ethernet
How the fuck did your CPU have an integrated NIC?

autistic much? he obviously ment his dell pc.

I'll stick with my 1gb onboard nic. Least till 10gb nics for home use finally arrive. Will have to totally redesign my network from ground up when that day happens though. Really though unless your transferring multi terabyte worth of data all the time 1gb should be fine. Restoring a full backup of my server's data (over 7TB) would take 6-7 days but hey better than taking me several months to restore it all from scratch that is even if I could replace it all. some data is several yrs old.

Does it have an Intel NIC?

you need 10 gigabit
you need additional NICs
you need different networking standards

I live in an apartment and since there was no easy solution for the catcable I decided to go for wireless instead. I get 98% of my wired speeds and no problems thus far.

Technology sure has come along way.

Enjoy not having full duplex and I highly doubt you can get gigabit speed over wireless, even right next to the AP.

to connect another PC to yours while having ethernet based net connectivity

I only pay for 300 so it's enough for me. It's obviously not perfect but it seems to be sufficient for my purposes.

Some asshole is infiltrated my network spoofing his pc with my NICs MAC address, and since my NIC wont support changing it, i need one of those.

kek wifi

At least Realtek ones get driver updates, unlike Soundmax, VIA, C-Media or IDT

>I highly doubt you can get gigabit speed over wireless

It's 2016 at the moment, Chacho.

And we have wireless AC which is good for 866Mbit/s, half duplex.

>pfsense
/thread

I once had my ethernet-based internet connection connected to a PCI ethernet card instead of onboard. Because of storms (place on a hill, ethernet comes from a place that can get lighting hit) and sure, after about two years, a storm fired the LAN. At first it looked like it is fine but after a day it started to throw errors and next day after that the PHY would just not see the cable at all.

So the precaution actually happened to work.

link aggregation

all i know is that this thing offers pretty good BT range. haven't really used the wifi part.

What does wifi have to do with this?

that's why your network was compromised.

How is this in any way relevant to what he said?

I picked up a nice used two port Intel gigabit Ethernet adapter for $35 at my local mom and pop shop. A good addition to my home networking lab. The VLAN and jumbo frame support is nice.

I pad 15 bucks for that.

average network card cost - $10
killer network card cost - $200
it is therefore 20x better

I remember seeing ads for this kind of shit on Battlenet a long time ago. Like a gigabit interface will improve your ping over two megabit connection.

Someone posted some ad for it where the Windows was a maze for normal cards and this thing was capable of bypassing it

Chances are if you need multiple NICs or something you'll get a motherboard with just that.

So, yeah, besides WiFi they're useless.

killer looked like they were going to go under for their first few years but they've memed their way onto gayming laptops.

Not everything is consumer shit, buddy.

I got one for $15 when they were on the way out. I have to admit the ping times are better and it has some really nice features in the driver's (IP range blocking, automatic forwarding, private DNS, port spoofing etc etc) but not really 200 bucks worth. I still use it really, it's a shame this type of thing didn't catch on and was so expensive. It's very useful at times to have all of that integrated into one piece of software.

Sorry..Pretending to be the CIA

>CIA

Exactly my point?

Bridging.

For a normal person, no there is no reason unless your built in one breaks.

If you had Comcast's 2,000 Mbps internet, you'd need a 10 Gb one, among other things.

I very recently bought an old-fashioned PCI modem so I could connect my landline to my computer and use it as a caller id.

In case you want to take advantage of link aggregation and your motherboard only has one, or you want a 10Gbps link and your built-in card is only 1Gbps?

No, actually its not. It was done by someone in russia, and they did it through remote desktop connectioms being left on and the account unlocked on the PC. It was on a windows server 2012 home lab. Wifi had nothing to do with it, at all.

lololololollolololol

that's legit less than 0.001ms either way

Hijacking your thread. What is the current status of 10gig ethernet? Last I checked switches were still $500+

i was getting 580mb/s with that at my old house.

never used the BT though

You can get LB6Ms for like 350 or so, now. PCI-E adapters still cheap, especially SFP+ ones.

What about doing it over copper?

Twinax or a base-T media converter.

I got one of these in a box of special K

CIA nigger detected, alerting Terry Davis.

People who actually know what they are talking about.

my internal one got damaged by lightning strike so I use the card

placebo effect m8
when you drop $200 on it, you "WILL" notice a difference. see: audio losers

by the way if there's any animators / videofags who ever see this, to get 10 year old revenge on bigfoot, you should animate the red and yellow arrows so that they arrive at the GAME at the same time, then have a ">$200" overlay it or something

a thunderstorm burned my onboard. I dont want to buy a new motherboard when this happens.

What if I play my music over a gpu HDMI slot?

-there are still cheap mobos without gigabit
-there are a few (usually gaymen) mobos with meme chips, that 1. have serious problems 2. don't work with linux/BSD or both
-servers

Driver issues.
That's the only reason.

I have driver issues on my old computer so that uses a network card.

Most servers need more than 1 nic

Can your integrated Realtek-crap do VLAN? No. checkmate.

>not installing five network cards and aggregating them

So that if you a power surge in telephone lines your mobo will not get friend

My integrated one died after a thunderstorm and needed replacement. I'm lucky they still make these

Why are everyones' onboard network cards dying in thunderstorms?

that's why you buy motherboards with spdif out. Then it doesn't fucking matter if you use a soundcard or not

Why would your fucking client need to be able of handling VLANs? A pc shouldnt fucking care about the network

I had to use this after my integrated one stopped working

Unless you want more than 2 channels from all content, not just Dolby.

Why would you want that? Watching movies is a waste of time and music makes only sense in stereo, since it is (with very few exceptions) mixed in stereo

Only if you're so retarded you don't use digital out to a better DAC

network cards have their own processor to do stuff, integrated puts that heavy heavy burden on your cpu, which is busy enough trying to give you the most frames a second in some shitty game, why you do that to cpu?

>heavy heavy burden
>implying

>You can only notice an improvement if you lose a less reliable connection to better hardware

Please explain yourself

this happens all too often. i've had to clean up two cryptolocker infections in the past couple of weeks where retards left rdp open to the world and used a terrible local admin password. its incredibly easy to nmap a huge chunk of public addresses looking for open rdp and then run hydra against the results.

Can't seem to find this card on MSI website right, only a similar model number without the 10G NIC.

Anyway some X99 this not being one of them ship with 10G bulit in ethernet. Cheaper than getting a decent mobo and seperate NIC.

A 10G NIC is still about 300-400 USD if you want one with a common RJ45 contact.

>Why would you want that?
Because I have 6 channel content and you don't, obviously.

Does that thing come with extra PCI lanes for the M.2 like the Z170 by any chance?

Well then you do like me and just route the sound from the GPU so you can get 8-channel lossless PCM.

I run several dedicated servers with 4-20ms ping from here to NY and to CA and you think you i should i use wifi.

I got nothing to say to you retards. Youre a special brand of stupid.

And you're just okay with this? You don't want to, maybe, do anything about the person currently sitting in your network enjoying his free shell?

Are you drunk?

The saddest thing about this image is that it's fairly accurate to represent windows APIs as a maze with dead ends

Server 2012
Assumes doesnt use VM
????
Profit

there are motherboards without spdif out?