What is your favorite dumb phone that works in your country at the moment?

What is your favorite dumb phone that works in your country at the moment?

Other urls found in this thread:

zeit.de/datenschutz/malte-spitz-data-retention
m.evolveo.com/en/
evolveo.eu/en/strongphone-x4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Its literally a nokia 3310 with full keyboard and MP3 player

nokia 130
I'm using a modern one because fuck unique chargers.

Just bought a Nokia 130 for the same reason

Why is Sup Forums forcing the dumbphone maymay?

I hope you got the 2 card one, I discovered that the one card variant is slower to browse music with for whatever reason.

Yes I bought the phone twice, one with the one card slot and one with two.

>everything I don't like is a forced meme

Sup Forums is tired of the botnet.

Yes, the dual SIM version was cheaper than the single SIM, in Germany

>maymay
I use it as a second phone for work and as a backup when traveling.
The battery literally lasts for weeks.

It's not a meme, some people don't find smart features all that useful.Not useful enough to justify having to charge their phone every day and having large brick in their pocket.

i had one of these.
it was alright

Sup Forums is chock full of 25 year olds who spend all their time making fun of grandmas who are scared to death to figure out how to use the start button on windows, *EXACT* same shit for them in that they're too scared to learn anything new. It really doesn't matter what the smartphone does or does not do - IT'S TOO FUCKING NEW FOR THEM. No other board is as retarded when it comes to Sup Forums for phone technology. "botnet", "muh privacy", "muh tracking", "muh games", this is all b.s. to avoid the real reason. It's new, they're scared as FUCK.

Sure thing kid

because dumbphones respect your privacy

Or certain Sup Forums users do not need all the bloated bullshit """modern""" """smart""" phones come with and only need a machine to make phone calls, dipshit.

With better understanding of tech you learn to see it in a different way.
Tech people understand the power and use of technology, the dangers and the utilities.
People who are tech ignorant don't question shit and buy whats on the catalog and what the commercials push.
But back to the topic at hand - smart phones are not objectively superior to dumb phones.
They lack lengthy battery life, resilience, they are prone to errors and they are large and heavy. They are also expensive to an extend and require you to change them often.

do they? operator still logs all your messages, phonecalls, date and time of BTS connections and so on

technology is hilarious because it essentially exists in 5 year periods, each periodfaggot falling hard for nostalgia, ignorant to the others except for the ones immediately around it. 2000 - 2005 fags tend to make most fun of 80s dipshits being "dinosaurs" in the exact same way 2005-2010 people see them as living in the past. Your only friend at this point is 70s shits because you are ignorant to them and can take their regurgitated nostalgia at face value and think it was "the good ol' days" that you didn't experience. All of this is complete and utter fear of learning anything new, or stepping outside of your comfort zone for 10 seconds.

By the way, if you're in the USA and not on a pre-paid plan, you're probably paying for data that you'll never, ever use and you can't even elect to turn this off anymore. It's also hard to find pre-paid plans that don't act the same way so you are always wasting some amount of money per month on data.

no gps - no real tracking
no wifi - no data to steal, no password to collect, no viruses to get
no apps - no breach point

you can't lockpick a wall

(you)

>no real tracking
zeit.de/datenschutz/malte-spitz-data-retention

you can't use the mehprivacy argument when it comes to dumbphones as they can still 'track' you, your only solution is to go full freetard stallmanite and not have a phone at all. By the way, some smartphones are FSF-tier in terms of they support open roms/bootloaders, ironically you don't hear about this from freetard supporters because they are still phones and would be "bad" in the first place, while your dumbphone is 100% locked forever. If someone knows where you work and live through casual in-person conversation then they know where you are for over 2/3rds of your life, you casually let this information go to everyone irl but you're deathly opposed to carrying a "tracking device"

The battery argument is my favorite, only people still living in 2009 and haven't ever updated their information say this. Take a look at any phone made after 2012 - the motherboard is literally 20% of the space and 80% is the battery. Charges can easily last for a week.

Dumbphone fags are a lot like creationists, they close themselves off to new information and keep repeating things a decade old or more, forever living in a catch 22 where you can't show them anything new because they are "set" on it from shit from 2008

bts tracking is a concern too

The rare "smartphones are tracking devices but dumbphones aren't because I don't understand either and smartphones are 2new so they are bad" type. my favorite.

I know that the carier knows where you are based on the tower you send the signal to.
GPS is more accurate

>voluntarily carrying a tracking device

>all new technology is bad
>I'm scared of it
GPS isn't required by Sup Forums anyway because they have nowhere to go, nothing to do, don't need to find anyone anyway.

Here's a solution for the rare times you need to find your way past a few blocks - shitty 90s palm pilots with those GPS attachments, they are inaccurate except to a few blocks. This way you can turn even the most simple task of going somewhere into yet another timesink to fill up your schedule and walk (>drive) in circles for hours

the concern is that the tracking information can be accessed by people besides the company through apps and backdoors
every app asks for all the permissions for no reason
>The battery argument is my favorite, only people still living in 2009 and haven't ever updated their information say this. Take a look at any phone made after 2012 - the motherboard is literally 20% of the space and 80% is the battery. Charges can easily last for a week.
Yea m8, your brick can last half as long as my pebble-phone if you don't use any of it's smart-brick features. Brilliant rhetoric.

Hilariously we now enter a point wherein we're defending dumbphones because they're locked down and proprietary. Ignore every thread on Sup Forums whining and complaining about no free hardware, software, etc and the fact that you can install whatever free software, rom, bootloader you want on modern android phones - we must have some old proprietary locked device instead. It would be much easier to admit you have never used anything post 2005 and are just scared of it just like old people are scared of using the internet because it is too new for them.

Just bough a lg revere for like 50 bucks. The bill is hysterically cheap compared to "smart" phone bills.

With those two arguments so close together, how did you not realise that you can slip the back off a dumbphone and slip the battery out? it takes less than a second.

>It would be much easier to admit you have never used anything post 2005 and are just scared of it just like old people are scared of using the internet because it is too new for them.
I have though, and I didn't like it.

what do you have against carrying a tracking device, I completely trust my government?
They started much less wars than USA government

Trolls are against the rules outside of Sup Forums

you can do the same for a dumbphone, this argument is not really going to work on this type of person

I didn't like mine for the first 15 minutes either, you have to give it an hour or so before returning it and saying no. I know you probably used something in that actually terrible range of 2007 - 2011 when all of these arguments were relevant. Honestly though, anything from 2016, 2011, and 2007 all suffer from the same problem - they were made after 2005

You could always get a map.

I've played with smartphones plenty.
The fact is that after I got bored with them I found I didn't use them as anything other than phones.
So I bought a phone that only phones because it's better than a smart phone for me.
Pretending that you can somehow 'prove' scientifically that my experience would be enhanced by having a smart phone over a dumb one doesn't change that lengthy experience with smartphones is exactly what motivated my downgrade.
I don't use the Internet at every opportunity, I don't read emails on the subway, I don't take photos of random shit I see. I didn't do it when I had a smart phone and I can't do it now because I chose a device that doesn't offer those features.
The only difference is I don't have to think how much battery I have left and I don't have a brick on me.
Why can't you handle my opinions, do you understand the concept of 'preference'? Are you autistic?

That's pretty sexy. But are you guys retarded? Every cell phone has been traceable since the mid 90s. Burner or not, if you have any type of cell phone you can be found. That's why pimps and drug dealers throw away their phones daily.

m.evolveo.com/en/

Accu

Where did we say we use dumbphones to not be tracked? The only purpose of this thread is to post the dumbphone you like the most.

phones are traceable, but the question who can track it
apps ask for gps access like nobodies business

I don't even own this phone, I just posted because it's pretty cool and I bought one for my father. S60 phones are sexy as fuck.

Listen fag, my dumbphone can last 2 months on one charge. No smartphone can even get past 2 weeks.

not that guy, but what phone?

>2 months

Not true.

Not him, but if you turn a dumb phone off I can easily see it lasting two months before it needs to be charged again.

Samsung GT-E3270 and evolveo Accu

Just set the phone to 2G, turn the brightness down and you will hit 2 months. I turn on flight mode when I go to sleep though.

If you treat a smartphone as if it was a dumbphone it definitely outlasts the dumbphone.

Would someone really do that? Just go and tell lies on the Internet?

you too m8

the accu looks pretty dank, have you had issues with it?
'robust phones' have a bad rep for not actually being robust

Not him but I already tried with that Samsung' "Ultra Power Saving" mode, it lasted a week.

fug baided again xD

Its software is basic as fuck. You can't even use Java MIDP2 apps. If you need Opera Mini, choose Samsung GT-E3270.
With Accu you can charge your smartphone from Accu's battery. It has 3400 mah battery installed or something with similar capacity. Can't remember correctly. Also, Evolveo doesn't seem to sell it anymore so you need to get it from some other Slav sellers.

>only essential applications
You can't select any apps that are not on the predefined list and they are all shit.

Yeah, that's the purpose, using a smartphone as a dumbphone.

Eh...I have 2 phones. 1 dumbphone with huge battery to make phonecalls and 1 smartphone for the Internet. Using a smartphone as a dumbphone is somewhat retarded when you can get a dumbphone with better battery life dirt cheap. Just saying. 2 phones is a true patrician choice.

I'm not saying you should do that, I'm just saying that is possible.

>2 phones is a true patrician choice.
that may be true, I'm really getting tired of dragging my laptop around for viewing documents, but is there a reason not to get a tablet at that point?

What do you think about this hybrid?

evolveo.eu/en/strongphone-x4

>but is there a reason not to get a tablet at that point?
Physical keyboard you silly fuck. When you don't have a real keyboard, your tablet is as good as a Smartphone.
I carry around 2 phones and ThinkPad X220.

how come a bunch of paranoids haven't made some sort of android distribution that respects ur freedoms or whatever? is that a thing? i mean i think that if it can run linux u can build whatever u want on it, right?

So get a OTG cable and a keyboard then?

Its called Replicant

Pretty cool but not much useful.

it's shit right? i mean i use linux everyday the whole day but i'm guessing it's like gnu/hurd

>So get a OTG cable and a keyboard then?
Doesn't work that way. Try using that keyboard anywhere when you don't have a desk. The entire point of having a laptop is to be able to use your computer on-the-go and on your laps. Like in a car or on a bench. Or even while holding your laptop with one hand and typing with the other. Can't do it with no
hinges.

>Android
Why? Install a fucking ARM Debian on your phone.

I guess a mini laptop would do.
I still don't see how the smartphone fits in, to leach internet from?

No idea. If it's like Cyanogenmod it might be pretty good. And why wouldnt it be? Most of Android is FOSS if I'm not mistaken.

Microsoft owns and develops cyanogenmod.

>I still don't see how the smartphone fits in, to leach internet from?
a) I have free Internet from the Government in this phone (SIM card)
b) When you are in a tram or in a crowded train you can't use a laptop. Also, Smartphones are great when you need to take a shit.
I also use it to check out Stock Exchange and to listen to podcasts when I'm moving.

>Most of Android is FOSS if I'm not mistaken.
You are.

>dumbphones r best but I want freedum, fuck smartphones
>(Replicant)
>...it's shit, right?
Again, dumbphone "users" are the tech creationists of this board. You are forever stuck in a quantum catch 22 where you won't let yourself experience the new technology, just say "it's shit", then call all smartphones bad. Just like creationists ignore science because "lol ive never heard of that before"

You can claim whatever cop-out you want about opinions but if you are going to post on this board, you're going to appear like a colossal fucking retard.

Explain.

Wikipedia claims
>Android's source code is released by Google under open source licenses, although most Android devices ultimately ship with both open source and proprietary software, including required proprietary components for Google's services.

Modern technology is fucking shit.
Give me 2 weeks + battery life on a smartphone and then we can talk. I have a business to run you retard. I can't deal with charging my phone twice a day.

that would mostly be the manufacturer's roms with bloat like touchjizz that we consistently insist you avoid by installing anything based off of AOSP. It will probably also ship with proprietary drivers which you'll need either way. Again there are phones out there that you can completely use replicant and no proprietary software or drivers on; reason why you don't ever hear about it here is because any one interested in such a thing will inevitably be the same raging freetard fuck who will just call all phone service a tracking device

Locked bootloaders + Android botnet kernel.
Parts of them are open source, but who gives a fuck when 99% of phones use modified google botnet code? Even if you install Replicant or some other magic beans you will still use proprietary firmware which makes you unsafe. Your phone is unsafe by default because every device can be tracked only based on the phone tower-phone antenna communication. Also, the encryption used in voice-call transmission is shit and got broken a long time ago.

>Again there are phones out there that you can completely use replicant and no proprietary software or drivers on
Name one which isn't shit.
Inb4 OpenMoko.

Well, you could physically disconnect the antenna and only use wifi to make encrypted calls or send texts via tor.

But I'm not sure what the usercase would be. Thats the kind of stuff a political activist in shittier countries would do.

Android will still spy on you using Wifi.

>Not getting one of panasonic's smartphones
God bless those crazy japs.

The one I use:

The Motorola Startac 7868w with the newer firmware.