wargames ;D

>videogame

Hacknet

Is that real?

>I'm too lazy to startpage it

store.steampowered.com/app/447040/

youtube.com/watch?v=hh9x4NqW0Dw

Cool, I really enjoyed the first one.

Shit there was a game similar to Uplink that was WAY way more realistic but I can't find it

Is it the videogame 4 posts above you?

Matrix will soon be realistic, if you think about it.
>VR is a thing now, we (or a computer) need to figure out how to connect our brains directly to a computer
>humans will probably fuck up earth in the next 100 years
>rational AI will be real in 100 years

Hackers

Lain.

Hacknet?

wow that looks like shit. game itself looks ok, but the implied story

>OMG LEET HACKERS YO
>RIP THE SYSTEM
>MUH HOMO BUTT SEX, SAN FRAN

i loved the first one (yes it definitely had flaws, but i really enjoyed it), but looking at that trailer, it looks like the same engine with a few NPC animations added with a story attempting to attract 12yo douche bags who think writing a VB subroutine makes them a hacker

>FAT_USHER 2
no

>videogame
Deus Ex. You mostly get there passwords from guessing or other people, then you just read a bunch of shitty emails until you're bored and leave.

WE WUZ HACKERS N SHIT

>Press one button and you can hack 20 people

Complete shit!

>i loved the first one

Do you actually mean the story?
The game was great, but for gameplay and stuff. The story was terrible.

>biggest hack of the history
>of the history

i didnt mind the story. hardly original, but it had a good feel in game (could have done without the gangster side missions)

well, after the first quarter, aiden started off as a whiney cunt, then started to get shit done

Watch dogs 2 is possible, but only if the people that run ctOS are to god damn lazy to fix easy to see security exploits.
>1000 traftic lights have been hacked this week
>should we fix it?
>Nope

So, it's totally possible then.

Thanks for this.

After watching this other one youtube.com/v/m2qEYCuFxGs I'm really hyped now.

>book
Stealing The Network.

>wargames

This. The dude actually went to the library, found old news clippings and such, in an attempt to learn as much as he could about the programmer in order to guess his password.

Also, Antitrust was pretty realistic. If not in its depiction of hacking but of its depiction of corporate IT management (but the hacking part itself was good too).

watch 'dogs|grep 2'

I don't think lain ever hacked anything though

neocron's hacknet

it's an accurate depiction of what happens when you enter the matrix in real life

Dragon Tattoo is the most accurate movie I have seen.

Pretty much everything she does is legit real world shit, The only thing not accurate is that she does those things on a MacBook which OSX does not have the tools for some of the attacks she did.

Are the tools open source? I'm willing to bet they can be compiled for OS X.

Yes but some are probably specific to the Linux kernel. I mean you could probably port say Aircrack-ng to BSD maybe and then to OSX.

You would run into problems with OSX though because you don't have control over the network manager so it would be trying to connect to wifi and would probably screw with monitor mode.

So yea, Some shit will run ok on OSX but most things are for Linux because of the level of control Linux gives you over the system, ip tables is another thing that is a must for a lot of tools.

The Matrix

>I mean you could probably port say Aircrack-ng
Aircrack-ng's already available on *BSD and OS X. I get your point though, not everything may work as well or at all.

Ma man

> implying a black man could be a hacker
Im literally the only Latino in the CS department who is into info sec and pentesting. Every POC in the CS dept. Is into ROR and developer shit.

The reality of the matter is that hacking is really boring to the majority of programmers, let alone the normal population.

It takes a special kind of being to be a good hacker. Some kind of borderline voyeuristic and obsessive control freak. Those are the ones that do the big, impressive hacks. The government hacks and leaks, etc.

>Video game
Dunno

>Movie
Hackers & the Matrix.

Wargames is decently realistic.

For video games I'm going with Hacknet.

>"of the history"

Could have been written by a non-native English speaker

suck my dick puto

This.

It is extremely simplified but delivers an in-universe explanation for that and gets a good chunk of user-internet-culture right.

[spoiler] finding /e/ for the first time[/spoiler]
Sup Forums would be honored.

Should I watch the original or the remake?

>videogame
Mega Man Battle Network obv.

The hacking in battle royale (book) is actually pretty realistic

>execute the biggest hack of the history

Does anyone here actually know how to hack?

TV show? Silicon valley.

>nigger
>hacker
you cant have both retard

>movie
youtube.com/watch?v=GIKfEAF2Yhw

>tv show
Numb3rs
youtube.com/watch?v=O2rGTXHvPCQ
and NCIS
youtube.com/watch?v=hkDD03yeLnU

Google, Apple, Microsoft have backdoors or/and backdoor-like "feautures" to their respective phone os. If an individual could access them it could very well be like the game.

The joke's on you, they're literally hacking time.

Also what the fuck happened to Aiden Pierce? He wasn't exactly the best of characters, but I kind of liked the self-righteous douchebag. Its not that often you get a proper insensitive badguy as the main character pretending like what he's doing is right.

>NCIS
youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ

>NCIS
That is CSI fag. NCIS famous stupid scene is two persons typing on the same keyboard.

which as I see posted just above

I can't tell the difference, they're all using middle aged washed up white actors acting like they "do technology good"

Uplink

tron

>tv show
Mr robot
>movie
who am I
youtube.com/watch?v=5vnjheCqRIs
>game
hacknet

Game: Deus EX -- isn't over the top with it, usually you can find out the password by browsing through e-mail, picking up snippets of data here and there or "live" hack stuff with a pleasant mini-game. I've never encountered any terribly cringy techno-babble in Deus Ex 1 or HR.

TV Show: maybe the "hacker" dude from House of Cards?

Movie: guess hacking is too boring to make it look realistic in a movie.

this one comes to mind

>videogame
>book
>movie
>tv show

none

The original, the trilogy is done if you like the story.

youtube.com/watch?v=dxIPcbmo1_U

youtube.com/watch?v=dxIPcbmo1_U

>1000 traftic lights have been hacked this week
>should we fix it?
>Nope

Kek. That and the same 3 bridges 500 times, every billboard and every generator. CtOS is fucking terrible

Man. I miss Numb3rs. Wish it didn't get so procedural after the first 3-4 seasons. I just got bored with it honestly. Love the first few seasons though.

People might talk shit, but Mr Robot is probably the most realistic depiction of network security and the attacks they have to work against.

>could do without "ughhh muh druggggsss"

Came here to post this exact thing, holy shit.

The Social Network

>black protagonist

yeah....... No.

this

What is so wrong about it?

>most realistic

>movie
Swordfish, of course. Everyone who has ever been to any /bst/ knows you need 7 screens for hacking.
youtube.com/watch?v=u1Ds9CeG-VY

>tv show
Arrow. Everyone on Sup Forums uses windows.
youtube.com/watch?v=B1XqrTgRpfM

>tv show
halt and catch fire

Just reality.

First Watch Dogs:
>I want to avenge the death of my niece

Second:
>I WANT TO BREAK LE SYSTEM
>LOOK AT ME IM A BLACK TEENAGER THAT KNOWS HOW TO USE LE COMPUTERS 'N SHIT
>HACKERS ARE SO HIP AND HAVE A SOCIAL LIFE TOO

And people were only complaining about MUH GRAPHICS DOWNGRADE

but at least the gay sex is true
probably most Sup Forums thing in tv history

We already fucked up the earth with radiation, sure it's not a wasteland but its way more than it was before ww2

First Watch Dogs:
>I want to avenge the death of my niece
>haha lets hack this billboard to display memes

Something I liked about wargames is hacking wasn't some magical bullshit that got you the answers, instead he just happened upon something when trying phone numbers

>thread talking about le >>>/janitor/ board on Sup Forums
>thred gets deleted
holy fuck janitors are such cunts fuck this gay chan
how is that even a new thing they have to keep us quiet about? everyone who browses here for more than 2 days knows all the shitty "secret" boards already

what

>not enhancing your hacking skills from the beginning so you get a little brute-forcer
Just like in real life

It's actually not that inaccurate
The only thing that bugged me was when he brutforced that guy using the security questions. But that's just luck not really lack of realism.

>DedSec

Has Ubisoft gotten so low on ideas that they have to create a hacker group called DedSec. Nearly replicating LulzSec.

Well, why? Do you seriously expect them to show the full process of infecting and crashing someone's server? Apart from that, they hire consultants and I think it's as accurate as it can be on television.

His niece loved memes

It all makes sense now.
How heartwarming.

Can't remember the name, but there was an Aussie movie on Julian Assange where they literally rang up niggas and asked for their login details. It was way more realistic than your average "hack the gibson" US production.

that's pretty much what he did in Mr. Robot at one point tbqhwymf

Jules is in that show? I thought it was trash for children TBQH famistan.

what? No I mean he actually just scammed someone on the phone to give his login information instead of l33t haxx0ring him

sauce?

Uplink