Got this old (early 2ks, late 90s) dell laptop with win2k on it from a school. it still has the school config...

Got this old (early 2ks, late 90s) dell laptop with win2k on it from a school. it still has the school config, i can log-in, but no admin rights.

No admin rights , so can't install any HW like Wifi

There's no CD Drive - I don't know if i want to buy one for it or not. is there anyway to bypass their shit and make me an admin?

Other urls found in this thread:

plop.at/en/bootmanagers.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

you can try pulling the drive out and attaching it to your system with a USB adapter, use VMware to install a new copy of 2K (if it's not an ultraportable though it sounds like it was probably a Win98 system) by assigning it as a virtual drive for a VM

Only issue i have is i have to get a IDE laptop -> USB or PC IDE (i have an old P4 i keep around for shit)

Is there any other methods while i wait for that?

Install xp on it nigger

nah senpai - Win 2k (or 98 idk yet) Master race - I honestly don't think it can support XP - not sure though. either way, don't need an XP machine - i have access to one and it's not much different than my 7 and 10 rigs in terms of compatability

without an optical drive your options are limited, unless it supports USB boot, but there's no real way to be sure since you haven't told us what the fuck it even is desu

Latitude CPt

No USB Boot. thats newfag shit.

Looks like Opticals aren't too much

Looking at

Network boot?
Also there's a floppy that lets you boot from USB on any PC, e.g. plop.at/en/bootmanagers.html

No NIC (PCMCIA only, i don't have an Ethernet one Either)
No Floppy (You'd have to get either a floppy PCMCIA or dell official bay)

>Latitude CPt
yeah that's definitely 98/NT faire
>Looking at

Connect the HDD to your newer desktop
Launch VMWare and set the whole HDD up as an exisiting virtual disc, don't delete anything from it
Now boot a password recovery CD in the virtual machine you just created and reset the admin password
Unplug HDD and everything should still work without having to reinstall windows

There should be a default admin account. If I remember correctly, it ought to be called "Administrator" or "Admin". If you can get into that, you're in business

You can make a fresh install of DamnSmallLinux or Windows 95 with floppies and then update it to Windows 7 via LAN install.

dude, if it's running an OS older than some people on this site, it's probably not going to run win7. Also, the internet wasn't that much of a thing at the time. It existed, but not everything had support for it, so it might not have LAN, and interfacing with a serial modem (if you still have one), is fscking annoying

3 words
privilege escation vulnerability

If you are able to boot something like minixp, you could probably edit the registry to give yourself admin rights.

Install Gentoo.

No, really.

stickykeys

retrofags are always the most clueless shits

Wait, did you try rebooting into safe mode and seeing if the backup admin account is passworded?

>It existed, but not everything had support for it, so it might not have LAN, and interfacing with a serial modem (if you still have one), is fscking annoying
Everything could connect to the web by the time windows 2k was rolling around. Problem is he may only have a telephone line for dial up. Though I doubt it would only be that considering it is former education grade.

I've used Windows 2000 in the time of the abomination Vista, and I wish I had Vista instead. windows 2k sucked. Just install Tails on a USB and Hard Wire it and use it like that. you ain't getting any better use of that old beater hooptie