Who old i7 here?

i7-920 here

>(can overclock to compete with latest top i7 gen)

no problem gaming

temps under load are above 80C (stock fan)

cpu is made to withstand up to 100c

never outdated :^)

Other urls found in this thread:

cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-870-vs-Intel-Core-i7-6700/m961vs3515
youtu.be/3G-7bfPG2dE
s.aliexpress.com/eqY7baaM
youtube.com/watch?v=mSD40aoNRIc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>inb4 replace thermal paste and cooler

I can do it but its too much work for maybe 2fps more

So why exactly has progress on consumer grade processors slowed so much? Will I be using my skylake i5 for the next ten years or something?

i7-950 here. Probably upgrading once Summit-Ridge hits the shelves

Athlon x4 860k, here.
y'all bitches.

>can oc to compete with latest i7

Your piece of shit will barely beat an i5 4460 in multithread if you're lucky.

t. Lynnfield owner.

i googled shit up. believe it or not it when oc'd it can compete with the top 5 i7's on the market right now

I know it's stupid , BUT remember that intel's focus was on energy usage for modern i7's

also my top priority is that my oc'd 750ti is not bottlenecked

I will have to oc for the rx480 tho I think

I got a dedicated gaming pc connected like a console

I'm still with an i7-920 as well, running at around ~3.6GHz with 24GB RAM.

Unlike OP, I don't really have the urge to "compete with" anything in particular, nor justify my current tech or prove that meets some arbitrary standard. It meets my use cases, for now, and might not meet someone else's. Such is life.

What may drive me to buy a new platform (cpu, mobo, ram) in the next year or so is the limitations of the motherboard's X58 chipset. I am running two PCIe SSDs already but can't boot off of them, and the board has a mixture of SATA II and SATA III ports (on account of III being new-ish in 2010).

So yeah, great processor, this ol' i7-920. Six years now. Longest I've ever used the same processor for a daily driver. And it's not the CPU that's will drive me to change, it's advances in other parts of the machine for which the Mobo is insufficient.

Get a better heat sink idiot. It'll last even longer

I am running a 10 year old Xeon x5470 @4.35Ghz with a GTX 970 and I get an average of 50-60FPS on most games using ultra settings with 1080p, your chip should be about 10% better clock for clock

May nigga

I'm still rocking the same processor since 2010 with my gtx 260

It's such a good processor

cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-870-vs-Intel-Core-i7-6700/m961vs3515

It is literally slower than Sandy bridge.

Is 4820k old?

Because I have it

>Overclocking i7-920

You don't pay the bills I assume

i dont live in 'murrca AND dont be a stupid child; it would cost you money if you never switch off pc. but why would i do that? just to shorten my gpu's life?

So you replace thermal paste and get better heatsinks to gain fps? Good riddance you idiot, it's not going to last much longer going like that. See you on a new motherboard and cpu purchase soon.

You're an idiot. My i7 870 draws almost 240w on its own, not including my other components. That's a big difference to an i3 6100 that will offer better gaming performance thanks to significantly better ipc and ddr4.

And let's not forget the i3 will be consuming one fifth as much power under load.

i5 3570k here, great regret not building i7 3820.

It will be idle more than active and that graph shows 87w idle FOR THE ENTIRE SYSTEM

as in LEAVING PC ON = FUCKING LIGHTBULB.

860 i7 here, no reason to upgrade

>when oc'd it can compete with the top 5 i7's on the market right now

Delusional shit like this makes me laugh. You can't just be happy with the fact that your old CPU is pretty good for its age and still viable for most things today. No, it's got to be EVERY BIT AS GOOD as the latest i7 and no amount of evidence to the contrary will convince you otherwise.

i7-870 here :)

Didn't your parents teach you to turn off the lights when you're not using them? Also, why the fuck are you still using ancient filament bulbs?

135w vs 75w

That's an 80% increase.

And if that's nothing, then why are households no longer using incandescent bulbs? :')

It's easy when your parents pay your electricity bill.

This. It's about as fast as an i3 6100 now. I love how he's completely ignoring any performance improvements.

>Intel's focus was on energy usage

Next he'll be saying an overclocked q6600 is just as good as the latest and greatest i5s because muh efficiency.

If an i5 2500 is better than his processor, how far behind an i7 6700 it must be...

Don't get me wrong, my i7 870 is still performing great, but any idiot should know that an i5 6600 will be a massive upgrade in both performance and efficiency since I've got it running at 4.2ghz.

I7 920 master rAce reportIngen in.

3570k isn't exactly old but I still wish I had a skylake with HT for muh gayms.

>overclocked q6600
was such a based chip. perhaps il buy another 775 mobo someday

Mine had been unused for a while. Recently I bought a new heatsink and installed gentoo my spare compooter with the i7 920 in it.

Makes me think it was a stupid decision to even upgrade my cpu around 2012.

I upgraded from an e8400 to a 771 xeon and gave it to my friend.

Honestly though the e8400 is still plenty for day to day tasks.

I use LED bulbs.

I leave my 4.8ghz i7 2600k on most of the day. My UPS gives a wattage reading from the wall. Here is a picture I just took with the monitor off.

It's fucking nothing. My electricity bill last month was $24.

Unless you're idling in a mmorpg or something even nehalem power management is fine.

I7 860. The only "problem" is that speedstep does not work in hackintosh

i7-920 here too.

Nearly eight years old and still handles everything I throw at it.

2600k reporting in.
OC at 4.2Ghz runs nice and snooth with a Noctua cooler. Paired with a 970 I still can play pretty much any game on high settings. Based Intel.

i7 950 unicorn reporting in.
Only game that is forcing me to update is that shit fallout 4 and it's reliance on CPU more than GPU.

Never below 60c (laptop cooling though) but only have had to replace the HDD.

Still good enough for streaming games from the main pc so I can lay in bed with a controller and play games through the projector.

>fuck your jewtel

Power costs 27c per kilowatt hour where I live

If the difference between a new CPU and an old one is 60W then at that rate, leaving a computer running for four hours a day it would take seven and a half years to save the $180 for a new CPU

Average cost of power in the USA is more like 13c per kilowatt hour vs the cost of an i3 6100 being $110, which pushes the time it would take out even further

And that's not counting the cost of a new motherboard, the cheapest 100 series motherboard I could find was 65 freedom dollars, so let's make that 15 years to recover the cost of the upgrade

>outdated
I had a i7 950 @ 4.3 Ghz until 2 months ago. My Arma 3 fps went from about 20 to over 70 just by replacing the CPU. Don't fool yourself, your 920 can't compete with current cpus.

>Fear that consumes a lot of energy.
>Buys JEWTEL which is 4 times more expensive than AMD.
>Fuck your logic

You're forgetting that the new cpu will also perform better, and that most people overclock their older CPUs.

See for the effects of overclocking on the first gen i series processors.

240w for the overclocked i7 870, or 80w for the i5 6600, or 50w for the i3?

That's a much bigger difference.

I got my cpu+mobo for less than a hundred dollars 3 years ago and it's a hell of a lot better performing than an i3 3220.

I3 + mobo would have been A$260, the i7 was A$95.

Considering I only use it a couple of hours every few nights for video games, power consumption isn't a serious issue for me. Probably 6-7 hours a week usage.

If it was 4 hours a day(28 hours a week) then I'd obviously be more concerned with power consumption.

I've left mine at stock, so I don't know why you think oc is relevant to me.

And I'm not the same guy you were yelling at before, but where you said
>it's easy when your parents pay your electricity bill
I'm afraid it was too stupid to leave it unanswered

15 years user, you haven't even lived that long, it's not a short period of time, and that was being very generous with the maths, if one would run their computer 3.5 hours on weekends only, it would take 60 years

>power consumption matters
>power consumption doesn't matter

Consider yourself filtered for being a particularly useless tripfag

I assumed it was oc since op said
>(can overclock to compete with the latest top i7 gen)

And also under load often because
>temps under load are above 80C
And
>no problem gaming

Power consumption matters depending on how much you use your pc. If you're too stupid to gather that from my posts them I'm glad you're filtering me so I won't have to see your shit again.

>never outdated
>can't use ddr4

You tried, m8

In before the dank 'memory speed has no effect on gaymes' meme.

My CPU is doing fine gaming at stock desu, my shit laptop can't handle the jandal, but I'm yet to find a game that can't be played on my desktop

To be fair I don't play a lot of games, the newest game I've played is probably far cry 4, not counting overwatch

Mines still performing great at 4.2ghz, but if I'm going to use it more than once every 2 or 3 days I'll definitely be more concerned about power consumption.

Energy consumption might matter less in the US, but it's 33c here so running my computer on load often would bump up costs quite a bit.

I'd probably be fine on stock too, but at least my room is warm when I go to bed :')

>tfw 3c per kwh + 80 dollar credit if i use 1000-2000kwh
>tfw i can never get over 700kwh

now post the same benchmark with a dedicated gpu

Not him, but there was a recent video by some English guy where he showed a significant improvement in fps with high speed ram

Found the video

youtu.be/3G-7bfPG2dE

yeah, with a low end i3 : S

Any cpu will benefit from low ram.

Fast ram*

Is i7 960 with nVidia 650ti boost good setup?

Not 650 but 5770

which xeon?

wait what, the i7 920 uses a lot of power? i leave that shit on all week

This one.

Xeon X5450 Processor 3.0GHz/12MB/1333MHz LGA775 CPU Close to Core 2 Quad q9650 works on LGA775 mainboard no need adapter
s.aliexpress.com/eqY7baaM
(from AliExpress Android)

No oc, handles bf4 fine on high settings with a HD6870 for 1080p60fps.

I have this one I may upgrade when Zen comes out, but for being a 10 year old chip, it is not bad. Why did you stop using it and what did you upgrade to?

Upgraded to my current i7 870, because I found a good deal.

I wanted to join my friends in battlefield 4 and my pc couldn't handle it very well.

>e8400+HD5770

Got my i7 870+mobo between A$90 and A$100(don't remember exactly)~ 3 years ago, and my gtx680 4GB for $A50 last year because some retard leaked his custom water loop on it. Pic related is my 680, still works great.

The 5770 was actually able to handle bf4 on medium settings with the i7 until I got my 680.

Seems like you are so concerned about power consumption user.

I really regret cheaping out and buying the i5 750 over the i7 920 back in the day. Assuming the mobo held up I probably would've upgraded to a "cheap" 970 later down the line and still been running it.

My only complaint with this 775 setup is the price of DDR2, I was going to upgrade to 4x4GB but the price ranges between $250 to $500 if it wasn't for that I would stick with this system.

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It literally can't you fucking retard.

120 watts at stock.
>@4.35Ghz
Where are you getting the cooling and power to use this beast

I currently have an i3 3220 and want to upgrade the cpu. I basically have two choices, save loads of money buying a second hand i5 3570k or something similar. Or else I can get a new motherboard with an i5 6500/ i5 6600k.

The main thing I don't understand is how direct x 12 will change things. Will it be better to save my money and get a i5 3570k or will this cripple me for future direct x 12 games. I know that the i5 3570k is not compatible with DX12 but I don't knoe the full ramifications of what this means.

920 fag who made the switch to a i5 4690 here back in 2014

It was night as day.

Dont get me wrong the i7 920 was a absolute beast and i had it since it launched but it really cant compete anymore

Intel has then hill. AMD is currently charging in. High prices will be lost.

Looking back I regret not getting the Sandy Bridge i7 instead of the i5, it's holding up much better than the 2500k.

>people complaining about power consumption for a desktop
Do you people live in Germany? Are you mining bitcoins with a CPU?
I don't see how even an old Nehalem i7 system can use more than 100 watts at idle

Realistically it'll be appliances like your fridge that use the most power, upgrading those will save you more money than upgrading to a new desktop

I less efficient CPU means a higher wattage and usually more expensive PSU (regardless of how infrequently it may be at 100% load the PSU still needs to support it), better cooling which could be more expensive or louder, and more heat dumped into the surrounding room.

I used to have two 95w TDP Xeons and two 290s and that shit would heat up my fairly small room significantly even under low usage, then I switched to an 88w i7 that performs even better and the heat isn't quite so bad now.

>a 8 year old CPU getting beat out by a 5 year old CPU

>Technology advances
What is your point?

So you somehow saved money buy buying a new PSU that's rated at a lower wattage?

I was not aware dx12 was cpu dependent. I thought the gpu was the only hardware that needed to be dx12 compliant. Anywho here's 6600k for ya to consider.

my point is that the 920 is dated tech even 3 years after its release,

i7-3770K here, runs 55 degrees under load.

No, I've kept the same PSU. However if I'd have gone with the lower wattage CPU first I could've gotten a cheaper PSU.

Still runs modern games just fine 8 years later, I don't see the issue

i7-5820k reporting in here. I have an "old" i7 3770 tho. Both do everything I need them too and more.

Except getting a lower wattage CPU back then would have meant getting a shittier CPU

And for that extra little performance you get the privileged of spending ~$400

Oh right, maybe what I read was referring to using the CPU to render graphics

i7-2600k. Highly considering upgrading to either an i5-6600k or i7-6700k. Don't really need to, but it would be neat to have two pretty good computers. I could use the 2600k for something.

is it good choice?

But we're not back then, last time I checked it was 2016.

The argument was about whether using a more power efficient CPU was worthwhile, the options being using something that is old and uses a lot of power or something newer than that uses less power for the same performance.

Still pretty good, OP.

>$400
Since when does a 4130 cost $400 ?
it beats out the 920's OC score and costs $120 at launch

youtube.com/watch?v=mSD40aoNRIc

OC it holds up pretty well. Anyone consider maybe why a "old" cpu can keep up is software is not really becoming as demanding at the same rate of cpu advancement? It's like we have come to a stage where most any cpu can become "good enough" for daily use?

Upgrading to a modern computer to save money on electricity is stupid, you wouldn't break even in at least 10 years

I already said it in an earlier post, the bid electricity users in a house are appliances that run all the time like fridges

anandtech has a good review about those cpus..

new higher end intel cpus are coming out shortly, maybe they will drive the prices down of the 6600/6700

>When we ratchet the CPUs back up to their regular, stock clockspeeds, we see a gap worth discussing. Overall at stock, the i7-6700K is an average 37% faster than Sandy Bridge in CPU benchmarks, 19% faster than the i7-4770K, and 5% faster than the Devil’s Canyon based i7-4790K.

>720p
please, m8te find something better

Literally 1 benchmark in GIMP

>45nm

Intel never cuts the price of their processors significantly. If its in the box, its msrp.

6700k was 315 on jewegg yesterday