Just ordered a sager laptop. Anything I should expect?

Just ordered a sager laptop. Anything I should expect?

Other urls found in this thread:

xoticpc.com/sager-np8677-clevo-p670re3-p-8650.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How much did that pile of kiddie gamer trash set your parents back? Specs?

>hurr durr only kids play games

Once you have enough money to see your money work for you, you'll have a lot of free time. Not like a low tier wage slave code monkey like yourself would know.

>that projection
A "gaming laptop" is a very poor choice all around. A mistake normally only made by children. I play games too, but on a fucking desktop.

Kek. OP here.
I didn't say anything about gaming. I've got a desktop that I use for games. I just wanted to get a better laptop to use.
It'll be running *nix once I'm done.

Full load without throttling like facebook machines.

That's a software problem. Working with cgroups will let you throttle shit down if you need it that badly.

>wanna pray game?

heat. lots of it.

2 rupees have been deposited in your iShill account Rajeesh!

>that projection

No fucking shit retard. OP didnt ask for your faggot ass opinion on gaming laptops , he asked about this particular laptop. No one is crazy enough to use laptops for gaming anymore.

kill yourself.

Underrated keks

Code monkey's probably have more experience than you'd ever hope to get, kid.

OP.
None. Bought it with my own money. (Well, most of it came from my tax refund, so I guess you could argue that Obama paid for it.)
But its a Sager NP8677. Link is here. xoticpc.com/sager-np8677-clevo-p670re3-p-8650.html

Overheating
Shitty screen
Shitty speakers
Shitty keyboard
Shitty battery life
Shitty trackpad
Bloated windows 10 that won't work half the time so you'll have to reinstall it only to find out the speakers need drivers that windows can't find to work properly
Shitty hdd/ssd.
Buying a custom laptop (where you choose most of the specs) can solve some of the aforementioned negative points about laptops from small companies, but some just can't be avoided.

The Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display doesn't have this problem.

>brags about making his money work for him
>his tax refund is less than 1.1k
kek

also this laptop looks shit op

Overheating
Shitty speakers
Shittiest keyboard in existence
Gimmicky trackpad
No ports
o

p
o
r
t
s
OS X
$500 to fix any hardware issue if you don't pay for apple care or whatever
Also shitty cpu and gpu

Looks similar to my Alienware lappy specwise. You're probably in for a very comfy experience. Mine's been a fantastic bedposting station.

>small companies

Solid post until then. Your ignorance has shown through. Please go educate yourself.

You mean this guy? That wasn't me. I'd rather be a wage slave code monkey than work as a produce clerk.

That laptop looks tight op. Congratulations

Those temps look pretty nice for a laptop..

thanks, ih8allofu

You should go educate yourself, small companies mostly don't have enough knowledge about efficient cooling, have to bloat up the OS to get money, cheap out on everything to keep production costs low, I'm not saying big companies don't do this, but as they usually have more money and knowledge/experience they usually cheap out without really hurting the overall quality of the product.

I heard they tend not to stand the test of time

I was thinking about buying one but went for a thinkpad 13 instead since I can do without games if it means a more durable and portable product

Good thing it'll have *nix on it. Haven't had many issues with drivers because of it.
How is your alienware? I looked at it but was kinda avoiding it because of Dell.
Meh, as long as it can work for a few years without major issues I'll be fine.

No problems outside of not being able to control all the cool gaming LEDs if I use GNU/Linux. Also the wireless drivers were sketchy there, the firmware the drivers look for is misnamed and I had to rename it and shit. It worked but Windows Just Werked a lot better.

Otherwise no issues yet, but I've only had it a few months.

There you go, using that phrase again. You do realize you are in a thread whose chassis have been used in all major high end laptop retailers, right? Origin, Falcon-NW, Alienware. They have all used clevo laptops and re-branded them at some point.

also its heavy.

btw all my computers are Dells and I have no problem with Dell.

>Just ordered a sager laptop. Anything I should expect?
basically a Razer Blade Pro that's three times as thick and heavy

They all have one thing in common.
>Shitty products
Laptops shouldn't be powerful, desktops excel at everything except portability.

Just because you never leave the house, doesn't mean other people don't. I regularly take my laptop into work to either load up a game when I have some free time, to run VMs, to use for testing purposes. I take it over friends house and will game with them, or if they come over my place I can load up my laptop for them.

Which GPU did you get?

I got a 17" Sager ~3-4 years ago for college. Maybe $1200. It was worth the money. Some small annoyances. The second HDD bay got super freaking hot for some reason. I think I switched the another HDD in and it had the same problem. Like obscene temps, hotter than the CPU or GPU. Maybe the sensor was malfunctioning, but it felt hot to touch so I think it was right.
Other extremely minute things: and older HP laptop that I had I stood up sideways and used in portrait sometimes to read manga. When I tried it with the sager the temps went through the roof and the fan maxed out after like a minute.
So, a few very small things, but the screen and performance were fine.
If I had to get that kind of laptop now though, I wouldn't. Get a used thinkpad and a dektop.

Jesus, those temps are better than my desktop. Laptops must suck less these days

Does it come in line green? The lights that is

Oh don't get me wrong, those were cheated by taking scrot after waking from sleep lol

real temps freshly scrotted here

Got the GTX 970M. Don't know a whole lot about it, but I'm just assuming to expect that it'll have the same problems as the GTX 970.

Thanks for the post. I'll keep an eye out for those problems. Main reason I bought it was for a mix of portability and power. Don't expect it to blow me out of the water, but I'm expecting it'll be a bit better than a 5 year old refurbished laptop.

I didn't check.

>someone mentions sager
>what to expect
Sup Forums really has gone to shit hasn't it

GAMES
ON
MEDIUM

>but I'm just assuming to expect that it'll have the same problems as the GTX 970
No, because it only has 3 GB VRAM

oldfag spotted

GTX 970m is probably the sweet spot for 1080p and avoid the high price of a 980m laptop. The only downside really is that it's not le "VR certified" if that matters to you.

>Sup Forums really has gone to shit hasn't it
i totally agree with you

>Got the GTX 970M. Don't know a whole lot about it, but I'm just assuming to expect that it'll have the same problems as the GTX 970.

Here's the settings I use on my 970M laptop. Note resolution.

Plays at constant 60FPS with vsync enabled.
I know Overwatch isn't a great benchmark but it's what all the kids are playing these days, the 970m can crush it no problem.

Mine, 970m
>had to switch to windowed mode for screenshot because idk how to take a screenshot inside the game!

Not shown: AA turned down to FXAA

>>had to switch to windowed mode for screenshot because idk how to take a screenshot inside the game!
agreed, mine is also windowed but I cropped out the title bar. Fucking overwatch

I also don't use AA at all because for a 2800x1800 screen at 14 inches diagonal, it doesn't matter.

>2800x1800
fuck me, that's 3200x1800
i cannot into keys today

Download Prema Mod bios if available or Throttlestop
Disable all C states and Turbo Boost for better performance and cooling
Disable hyperthreading for even better cooling if you don't need the extra threads
Install Windows 7

>Disable all C states and Turbo Boost for better performance and cooling
>Disable hyperthreading for even better cooling if you don't need the extra threads

Removing turbo boost cannot possibly make the system faster, unless you are overclocking yourself.

Also, disabling hyperthreading really improves? I expect it'd just cut the processor capability by 50% and leave it at that.

You should have gotten a thinkpad p50 or p70 at that pricerange if you wanted something that wouldn't throtle

Owner of a NP8760 and NP7255.

NP8760 is a good 5 years old, maybe more. Battery swelled up and never replaced it, now I can't find one at all. Screen has spots in it where it looks like something is putting pressure on the LCD from behind. I accidentally blew up the GPU by running it overclocked for too long.

New one has the ability to switch between integrated graphics or the dedicated. Not a fan of this, I want it to run on the dedicated GPU 100% of the time when plugged in,

What a coincidence Op, i just ordered mine yesterday. I6 6700k at 4.2ghz and dual 970ms.

You can do that in the nvidia control panel I think.
If not you can always turn it off and on the bios it only takes 2 seconds anyways.

>poonilly

That's getting to be expected. Its supposed to make the laptop consume less power.

I7*

Consistent drive failures.

Doesn't work, already had it set that way. Firefox would not run using nvidia, when everything else is closed the indicator shows no programs using nvidia gpu. Not even seeing a place in the bios to disable.

But its plugged in, I want it to consume as much power as possible.

That's a drive problem, not a problem with the entire system.

Turbo Boost is a sham feature, much like Nvidia's gpu boost, except it's more dangerous, epecially with Skylake cpus since intel has the base voltage set way too high and the thermal throttling way too low. With turbo boost and all the c-states, your cpu is going to be constantly over-volted and under-volted and overheating massively without any noticeable gain.

Good Bob Sager laptop, plays games on medium.

expect a heavy as fuck laptop and 1.5 hr battery life

FYI, screenshot in overwatch is the Print Screen key. It not only copies it to your clipboard but it also saves a copy of the screenshot into your documents directory by default. Can't change the bound key.

Thanks, Blizzard!

Doesn't sound much different then I'm used to.

Oh, well it doesn't work for me because another program has bound the key (sharex)

OP the kid

>claims to make money
>doesn't know how tax money works

>4k display
>3gb 970

my aorus x3 laughs at you

I was looking at the x7 and the x7 pro and i noticed people claiming they would thermal throttle, thats why i went with sager, as well as the 6700k and the 100hz overclockable screen. But i would rather sacrifice my ears and get the full preformance for my money. Not Op btw.

Why didn't you get an alienware

You obviously have money

Heh, not anymore he doesn't.

Here is a newsflash for your 20 year old "iamagrownupass". People travel. Their bosses kindly ask them to pick their ass up and spend that weekend at xy city on the other side of the globe because he is too lazy. You comply. Why not? Paid ticket,hotel,food and you get to see some ovehyped asian city. You spend 3 days at said overcrowded overhyped shithole for a 2 hour meeting and like an hour long tour at some facility or office the next day. What do you for the rest of the time? Get a hooker? Possibiru. Otherwise you bring your overpriced gaming laptop that heats like a motherfucker and wakes up the whole city with its fans. But you don't care. You go fuck hookers in Witcher 3 at 1080p.

Also, I take my laptop when I go to the shitter. Or to LANs (yeah, people have those even when they grow up. especially if they aren't whipped fucks). And honestly, you are bitching about laptops now? Now when you can get actually a decent machine that is portable? But I guess you were too young 5 years ago to use the grownup argument or some shit.

fucking newfags

Not him, but it's hard to get a good compromise though on the laptops, you can get something like a powerhouse (MSI GT80) or a more mobile but still bulky gaymen laptop (Ayy Lmao 15 R2 Skylake)

I don't think you understand what causes HDD failure

If you're someone who just hates laptops, you could make an ITX "Lan party" built like this guy. Got a cooling block in a NODE 202 by using an r9 nano.
>meme tech channel
I have no defense.

I'll get one of those Ncase perhaps for gaymen

That laptop is crying.

>not building and lcd into a case

One more reason to buy an SSD.

I agree. Honestly I am currently eyeing the i5-6350HQ proc. It still isn't out but when it comes it will be equipped with a Iris Pro 580 which is something along the lines of GT 940M. The TDP is rated at 45W, cTDP 35W. Those numbers aren't anything concrete because we know how they are manipulated with, but I am guessing that an ultrabook-ish 15 inch 4 pounder could be made with using that. Would be good enough for me.

Regarding actual gaming laptops, the GTX 1080m gives me some hope. The Nvidia PR says it is strong like a Titan-x, which lowers my hope it will be anything that could be put into a standard sized laptop and not those 10kg behemots that break your knees. I am a believer in the Razer Blade 2016 on that front, or a ultrabook with a thunderbolt connector.

Mostly microcontroller going to shit, then somekind of software fuckup, and then there goes the motherboard plethora of problems. Which basically shouldn't be solved at home unless you are some kind of wizard.

I'm was running until about 4 months ago a sager NP8295 with a 4700HQ and 780m. It worked well once I RMA'd it because of a faulty ram slot but boy was that shit loud. It also got pretty hot around the palm rest as its near the GPU heat pipes.

Besides that my other complaint is the material they used for the housing. I had a jar fall onto the computer while it was open and it cracked a hole in the damn housing which was part of the reason why I stopped using the thing and opted for this build. Never looked back as its quieter when idle and has way more power.

>he fell for the meme

Oh and if you're buying a Sager try to grab one from xoticpc. They're pretty nice over there and will help you out anyway they can.

>Posted from my Alienware

>Just ordered a sager laptop. Anything I should expect?

Expect to get saged, faggot.

I don't really play games very much, and my rig is better in every way except has less video ram.

The only people who buy gaymen laptops are literal children who aren't actually paying for it. The least you could do is not devolve into literal Apple tier defense.

You misconstrue.
Aduls play games on hardware that doesn't look like a prop from a superhero movie. Something stationary and modular. You know, a fucking computer.

Gigabyte and MSI both have 'ultrabook-like' 'thin' gaming laptops. Quad-core i7s and GTX 970Ms inside a chassis barely an inch thick.

Of course, they'll overheat like a mofo at full pelt, and the MSI design screams tacky gamur laptop like most of the ASUS ROG line, but if you have the coin they're a good compromise between power and portability.