Linux and games

Today I turned on my computer and walked away I guess it asked the usual Win 10 update question and when I didn't click anything for a few minutes it started auto updating. I'm sick of Mircosoft's BS and would like to use an alternative OS, I've used Linux mint a few years ago and seemed to like it. My only problem is there are a few games I still want to be able to play such as WoW, Minecraft and Combat Arms. I know I've heard you can use Wine to run most Windows programs, but how reliable is it and is it going to lag? Also what version of Linux do you recommend and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=1922
store.steampowered.com/app/394360/
store.steampowered.com/search/?term=&sort_by=_ASC&os=linux&page=1
appdb.winehq.org/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU
appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=33746
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I recommend Arch. Better pick Antergos or Manjaro. Having the latest updates and the latest video driver + kernel helps a lot. Be careful, Xfce suffer from screen tearing, you can fix it with compton if you want. Don't pick a heavy DE if you want performance. Post video card name please.

About Wine... You should dualboot Linux with Windows, it's better that way. Install Windows 7 or 8.1 first, then Linux (if ypu haven't experience with dualbooting, Ubuntu will deal with it). When you finish, run the aegis script on Linux (search online for it) then disable the network card.

Sorry, I meant : run the aegis script on Windows.

>Combat Arms
Minecraft has a linux port

I'm using dual Asus Radeon 5770's

Don't listen to the faggots recommending Arch. You'll spend all of your time confused and unable to use it, or once you finally know how, you'll have to constantly deal with fixing it because it's so broken. It's a "minimal" distro that's complete shit for anyone actually wanting something that works.

Get Linux Mint. It's the best possible distro for people coming from Windows. It's also the most stable distro being based on Debian, and has the wide range of driver support that Ubuntu has since it's based on that, which is based on Debian.

If you can get comfortable with Linux Mint THEN you should try some other distros. But such as the case with Arch, whether or not it will even install on your computer with the worst installer on earth that it uses entirely depends on what computer you have. I had to use Architect because the other 7 times I tried installing it across maybe 4 computers it never worked.

I used Linux mint a lot back in the Olivia days and it worked well, my thing is getting those games to work. Other wise there is no reason I need to keep windows. I've done dual booting in the past to run my games but I found my self never using Linux then because i'd get on Windows just in case I wanted to play my games.

Why do you people keep making these threads basically asking us to "sell you" on linux?

Just fucking use it or don't i dont give a shit.

Ubuntu 16.04

This.

It's fucking free, after all.
It's not like you have any real risk when installing it, and no monetary setback prevents you from dropping it if you don't like it.

Nothing about linux has to be hard, use Ubuntu or Mint for the OS install to be easy. Use Crossover to make Wine easier or VMware or Virtualbox and install Windows in a VM, WoW is probably one of the most worked on games to get working in Wine, if Wine fails you can fallback on a Windows VM, give it more hardware to improve performance. Look into VMs with PCI-E Passthru.

I never asked for people to sell me on Linux, if you read the entire post you'd see the question asking how do I get my games to work. I've already made up my mind I want to do this.

ii play a lot of games on linux, some natively and a lot under wine. i use slackware which makes things a little more hand-on and complicated than i imagine one of the distros that brag about being easy-to-use would be. first thing you need to know is that wine cannot handle WOW64, which means that if you plan on installing a 64-bit Linux, you need to also install 32-bit compatibility libraries for everything including graphics drivers, etc. you also need to install a 32-bit version of wine. most people will suggest that you use PlayOnLinux, which is basically just a python-based script language with user-submitted installation wizards for games. once you realize that, you can just do everything yourself. just remember to create separate WINEPREFIXes for each install and read the appdb to see if you need to do anything with winetricks. 90% of games that work don't require any extra fiddling. i mostly play old games on old hardware but i rarely have any issues. i can't really compare performance between windows and linux, but considering that my hardware is not top-of-the-line, i get pretty much the expected performance out of it on linux.

use ubuntu 16.04, get the proprietary drivers you need. Minecraft works on Linux natively since its coded in Java. WoW works with Wine. Combat Arms hasnt been tested with wine lately.

Thanks Guy

I think I'll try that too
Thanks,

Can you run crossfire on Ubuntu?

If you plan on trying PlayOnLinux, keep in mind that it is a bunch of user-submitted scripts that are not always good or guaranteed to work. also it is an extra dependency and failure point between you and your games. for this reason, after using it for a while, i decided to manage my wine installations myself. i may write a guide for this in the future if i'm not lazy

Crossfire does not work in Linux. The same is not true of SLI. I'm not an Nvidia fanboy or anything, but back when I started using Linux back in the last millennium, they released quality (binary proprietary) Linux/Unix drivers that automatically configured your XFree86 (back when it was XFree86 and not X.org, and back when configuring it was a big fucking deal) and came with all the nice featured GUI apps for your desktop.

>port
it's written in java dumbass.

Then why does fglrx do a pci-scan of the entire bus, and take over each one? For shits and giggles?

i don't know. i never had radeon so i never had to deal with their linux drivers, but my casual googling shows up with 100% results of crossfire does not work.
> For shits and giggles?
very likely

>you'll have to constantly deal with fixing it because it's so broken
>Get Linux Mint
nice memes, ubuntu is the only real choice for beginners

also wth???? arch doesn't even have an installer and if you follow the guide you can install it just fine. not being able to install it after seven attempts just makes you sound stupid

you shouldn't act knowledgeable about things you don't know desu

To be fair it took me a fair amount of time to unfuck my original fuckups while installing arch cause my laptop uses optimus technology and IMO compared to other distros such as Ubuntu, Arch doesn't handle it nearly as well.

>Linux
>Games
Pick one

I grew up with coin op machines and snes so i have no problems with gaming on linux. not that i do it much.

nice meme fgt

Right, and one of the so-called benefits usually touted about Java is that it is highly portable. Fucking imagine that!

Manjaro isn't bad either. I started out with Mint, but had an issue with my wireless that I never could solve. It just constantly reset itself, which made it hard to use. I tried Manjaro Xfce instead, and didn't have that problem. Plus I prefer the way it looks over Mint Xfce.

Now though I'd say go with Manjaro Fluxbox. Not only is Fluxbox better, it also lacks the systemd malware.

Other than the wireless issue though, I liked Mint as a beginner distro. That issue though just made it unusable on my laptop.

just use slackware. it comes with comfy as fuck bsd-style init and fluxbox as one of the default installed WMs.

>My only problem is there are a few games I still want to be able to play such as WoW, Minecraft and Combat Arms.
WoW runs very well, some say even better than Windows (if you use wine-staging with CSMT). WoW also comes with an OpenGL mode (which runs “natively” on linux)

Minecraft runs natively

>Combat Arms
never heard of it, doesn't seem to run that well in wine, but based on the screenshots I would even bet it runs inside a VM

>Get Linux Mint. It's the best possible distro for people coming from Windows. It's also the most stable distro being based on Debian, and has the wide range of driver support that Ubuntu has since it's based on that, which is based on Debian.
It's also a security nightmare developed by kids for kids. I guess that makes it pretty close to Microsoft Windows.

I do all of my gaming on Linux these days since I realized everything I ever want to play runs on Linux

SOMA, Talos Principle, Firewatch, KSP, Civilization, Stellaris, Tomb Raider etc. are all games I've played recently and every single one has an officially supported Linux release.

For the rest, they run in WINE flawlessly (e.g. League of Legends)

Is that your doggie? I love doggies! I like cats too. Probably more, but I love doggies too! What is the deal with it's eyes though? Is that a genetic trait of the breed? That's my cat in the pic. You may not be able to tell it, but she doesn't have eyes like that. I wish one of my cats had eyes like that though, but if it's a genetic trait of your dog's breed, that's probably not possible. Yet. I sure do love doggies though, and cats, and doggie style is one of my favorite positions since it gives easy access to both fuck-holes at once. I don't think I'd want to fuck a chick in the missionary position if she had eyes like that though. Not with the lights on anyway Would be too freaky, but doggie style would be fine, and it's one of my favorite positions anyway, as I say.

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=1922
Search game on winehq and it will tell you how it runs.

I tried Slackware, and liked it, but the whole install everything bullshit is something I just can't get past.

I'm actually a big fan of OpenBSD now. I wish that I could use it exclusively, but I do keep a Linux distro installed for fucking around, since OpenBSD isn't really good for that.

All I would ever have OpenBSD for is fucking around. I don't know anyone who actually uses BSD. In my mind it is just something that exists.

>SOMA, Talos Principle, Firewatch, KSP, Civilization, Stellaris, Tomb Raider etc. are all games I've played recently and every single one has an officially supported Linux release.
Plenty of more names to list. Besiege, Bioshock Infinite, XCOM 2, Superhot, Hearts of Iron IV, Ark: Survival Evolved, Frozen Synapse 2, Batman: Arkham Knight, Dying light, Cities: Skylines, Infinifactory, SWKOTOR, Shadowrun: Hong Kong, Alien: Isolation, Saint's Row IV, etc.

And that's just in the last year alone. Seriously, the list of well-known games that run natively on Linux either on launch or have been retroactively ported is just staggering.

It's growing year by year. Soon, nobody will have any need for Windows anymore.

Teach me how to make HOI4 run on Linux.

>gaymes
time to grow up you fucking manchild or fuck off to Sup Forums

Here's what I would try doing

1. Install Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
2. Install Steam inside Ubuntu
3. Purchase the game through Steam
4. Install and play the game

store.steampowered.com/app/394360/

Oh yeah, steam is also a great place to find a list of games that work natively on Linux.

store.steampowered.com/search/?term=&sort_by=_ASC&os=linux&page=1

I like the idea of OpenBSD because I like autistic project dictators who obsess over a single issue. Also they have (occasionally) good songs. I also have a real urge to try plan 9/9front for the meme/aesthetic value.

>the whole install everything bullshit
it's actually not a "bad" thing and I'll tell you why - 7-8 GB is not a significant waste of disk space for most applications (I once installed Slackware on a 4GB SSD netbook but that was a long and frustrating process) and it's nice to have a program you normally wouldn't think of using be on there. Especially when you almost take it as a given that your system includes things like mc, alsa-utils, fortune, etc. It was very frustrating to find out at a moment that I did not have internet access that my Arch system didn't come with some package or library by default. Slackware comes with a large (maybe too large?) amount of software, but it's all useful. And they do a good job of separating things like emacs, tex, and kde into separate groups so you can easily blacklist them if you're never going to use them. If I install Arch (something I haven't done in years), I have to remind myself to install 100 things and then I'll still forget something important

>how do i install a game with a native linux version on linux

plan9 is like nothing youve ever used before i run a slackware repo on my server its fucking unreal.
try on raspberry pis they boot in 3 seconds no bullshit

>linux
>no gayms
No brand new day one AAA games
Plenty of games, a fifth of steam and most of gog.

Most of the games I listed here had day 1 Linux support

Yeah, looking over the thread after shitposting I noticed my comment wasn't necessary. Good on you.

>people actually think linux has good games
even the ones that it does have, don't have better performance than when they run on windows

Linux + Gaming = shit

>don't have better performance than when they run on windows
Do they have the same performance? What do you define as a "good game"?

Pretty big statement. Got any proof other than your hateful bais?

why not just accept the facts familia
linux gaming is straight up dogshit

one of the reasons steamos failed is because it runs on linux

It depends on the game.

Some games have slightly better Windows performance, some games have slightly better Linux performance.

Via WINE my experience was that stock WINE performs worse than Windows native, but WINE+CSMT on average matches the performance of Windows.

Seconding this. Wine's not bad with some help.

Ever heard of the phrase "if you want something done right, do it yourself"?
Don't bother with the installation scripts. They were written a while ago and arch has updated since then. The only supported way to install arch is to follow the wiki. You do that to the fucking letter and you'll never have problems installing it on a computer, regardless of what architecture it has.
To;dr. Your a lazy faggot who isn't worthy of arch.

Although, I will agree with you on mint. It is a much better experience for people coming from Windows. Let them get used to Linux before they try anything like arch or Gentoo.

Not him, but he probably meant it is not a port, it is literally the same code

WoW works fine with WINE. The whole thing, Blizz launcher included. Minecraft runs natively on Linux. Combat Arms I have no idea about. For me, neither WoW nor Minecraft lagged at all. If by "reliable" you mean that it doesn't crash, then yes it is reliable. Theoretically, a WINE update (or WoW update) could break WoW, but that hasn't ever happened in the years WoW has been out so I doubt it will happen now. Minecraft runs natively on Linux, so the only thing that will break it is running an outdated version of Java.

I personally recommend one of the offshoots of Arch. Here is why: Arch is rolling release and bleeding edge. It gets every update super early, meaning that your software is always up to date. This is especially helpful because it means that your drivers will be up to date and everything will be at least as efficient, if not more efficient, than Windows. The Arch Linux repositories contain a huge amount of software and libraries which have been tested and packaged by fhe devs. Arch Linux also has a "do it yourself" mentality which is nice because it means that installing or uninstalling software or otherwise changing the OS defaults won't horrifically break everything. It's designed to be tinkered with, so a newbie like you can explore a bit and not worry. I will say that you should use Antegros or Manjaro as normal Arch Linux is very stripped down and may be hard to set up.

lol or just use Ubuntu and install Steam
jesus christ

fag

I *really* would not recommend Arch Linux for someone who is new to Linux...

mint

Oh can I play dark souls 3?
NOPE

>Dark Souls III
not familiar with the game but a quick google search says no

you'd be better off running that one in a VM I guess

I know. But I think that games run better on Arch.

Wine is pretty reliable nowadays, but don't expect getting combat arms to run. Wow runs great and minecraft doesn't need WINE.

For a beginner I would just recommend Ubuntu, desu (and this is coming from a Gentoo user)

>League
Do you have any sort of guide for getting League of Legends to work under WINE?

>which have been tested and packaged by fhe devs
this is what arch users actually believe

>I know I've heard you can use Wine to run most Windows programs, but how reliable is it and is it going to lag?
Some might work, check appdb.winehq.org/ for the games you want to play, most fairly new games will run.

Performance will be lower, games might be unstable, depending on wine changes, game patches.
Things will break regulary.

>Also what version of Linux do you recommend and why?
Ubuntu, it's the best distro for desktop use.
Biggest userbase, lots of tutorial, most supported by game devs if they support Linux ports.

As for Linux GPU drivers, the Nvidia proprietary drivers are currently the best in terms of stability/performance.
AMD dropped proprietary driver support and is working on opensource drivers: wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU

I'd switch in a heartbeat if Linux gets AAA game support and proper drivers.
Currently need Windows for Overwatch :(
appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=33746

How about no

Ubuntu all the way

Also wine doesn't lag for me, I have a shitty laptop from 2012 with a nvidia 310 and stuff works OK

Here's what I did

1. I installed PlayOnLinux
2. I used PlayOnLinux to install League of Legends
this was already playable

and then to boost the framerate further
3. I went into the PlayOnLinux configuration for League of Legends
4. I set the wine version to latest-staging
5. I went into the wine configuration for this wine version
6. I enabled CSMT

>the typical knowledge level of an Arch user

Do not try to fuck with WINE

Just run windows in a seamless VM. If you have two graphics cards (iGPU + external) then use GPU passthru

this is 2016, WINE is deprecated

>If you have two graphics cards (iGPU + external) then use GPU passthru
and if you don't, you're fucked

good job sempai

Why would you not recommend a distro that is literally just follow a manual? You don't have to understand what any of the commands actually do. Just copy and paste!

WRONG.
Performance of XCOM is superior on Linux so at least you are wrong at that one.

>calling it Linux not GNU/Linux

Suck my ass.

Thanks, I'll try this.

Remember we have a thread over /t/ for ported gaymes

This
Yeah but why would anyone want a community driven bleeding edge distro? Fucking hipsters.

Ubuntu. Though Arch and others may be 'light', it is next to impossible to get any (up-to-date proprietary, i.e. working) graphics drivers unless you use Ubuntu, or some flavour of it.

This is from someone who uses Manjaro for his laptop and Ubuntu on his PC. I would use Manjaro for both if I could get decent drivers.

>not installing the graphics drivers manually

Why would anyone ever rely on a package maintainer for their hardware drivers?

Because people have better things to be doing with their lives rather than pissing around installing drivers when their are already systems in place that can do it for you.

sudo ./NVIDIA-INSTALLER.run

so hard

>implying that using an installer tool is 'doing it manually'

>implying you can compile a proprietary driver

on what xcom? on a literal who game?

>WoW, Minecraft and Combat Arms.

At least WoW you can play on wine, not sure about the others
Mint comes with PlayOnLinux by default, it helps you install windows games

BTFO, windows fag! kek