CASE MOD THREAD

So Sup Forums I did a thing today.

Copped this old ATX beige server case today for a few bucks, had some junk PIII 400mhz in it.

Turns out my motherboard didn't quite fit so I had to get the Dremel tool out.

I can't find the subscribe button

Virgin unmolested case, probably 20 years old or more at least.

Had to cut some shit off, this is a pretty big-assed Godzilla board or some shit. RIP cut off wheels

lol

Are you doing this right now OP keep it going

now it might fit. Sanded the edges down I'll probably clean this up later but it gives me the option to put small stuff like fan controllers and what not in that bay

They dont make cases with metal that thick anymore

Oooooh it's close, nothing that a drill bit can't fix. Some stuff doesn't quite line up yet.

now let's fix that (had to do this 5 more times)

I miss cases like this, pure metal and functional. None of that weak thin crap that'll bend if you look at it wrong. I mean hell you can sit on that thing and it won't break. Sit on one now, even if you can they make them so small now and watch it twist all outta shape

Full E-ATX conversion complete

Board is an Intel S2600CO engineering sample

I have a better case for you.

Nice keep it up.

Processors are engineering sample too, 3.3/10/8.0, I think. They are Socket LGA2011 which sucks because the heatsinks I have don't fit and I have to return them both, which I'll probably be able to swap for the right ones

The metal on the newer cases is just as much as a pain to cut but it's more resilient and doesn't rust as easy.

Newer cases do have thinner metal I hate working with them. The plastics seem to break easier on the new stuff.

Some early wire management. Turns out the LED headers on these share a common ground so it looks like I'll have a solder iron involved soon too.

This is one of those cases with a ton of HDD LEDs on the front so the game plan is to find a bunch of beige hard drive hot-swap SAS bays that have that LED pin out on the back.

Probably most likely will window mod it, it will get fan mods too this thing is gonna heat up quick when I slap a couple of graphics cards in it, haven't quite decided on those yet.

The case will stay beige, I may color-match the inside at a later date but right now I have to fab up everything and make it work.

I think I had one like that back in the day.

That's it for today, tomorrow I'll probably cut in the fans. I have a power supply coming probably tomorrow, and memory this week, so just have to get some heatsinks and I should be able to fire it up.

Another issue I will have will be the motherboard 24-pin connector its way down in the low right and I'll probably have to get an extender so I can hide it.

If I have to, and I may not have to, but if I cannot find a sleeved PSU for this, I will sleeve a server one myself. I have a 1000-w Chicony but I don't think it will work on this board I need two 8-pin power connectors and one 4-pin, plus the 24 pin.

FWIW this is not my first mod I've done 4 or 5, I posted the Iron Cross cut in the guts thread that's my rig. Two of them got junked when they should not have, and I still have my very original Athlon 1000 build which was my first case mod I may post that later to let Sup Forums laugh at my metal craftsmanship when I was 19. If any of you remember PimpRig.com I used to hang out there back in the day.

*proposed specs* should look something like

Intel S2600CO
Dual 3.3 quads, E-2643? Can't remember but the samples I have are identical to current off-the-shelf chips
128gb DDR3, because memory is cheap why the fuck not I do Photoshop and Lightroom and those are memory hogs
Probably dual Fury or GTX cards, haven't had SLI since the 3dfx days
5x 3tb SAS, or one of those 5 1/4 drive bays with like 6x 2.5" SAS hot swap drives
Some sort of SSD boot

Probably will mod handles on the side or top I can get them cheap.

>Probably most likely will window mod it
I was following you until I heard that
fucking kill yourself

I haven't completely decided yet. I do have two side panels for this I can always swap on and off, one is already window modded.

Well, that's less triggering. A window would ruin that thing desu, it's very clean and professional.

What was in it originally, anyway? Seems a little high-end for some shitbox PII-400

PIII 400, some sort of ASUS board, 128mb ram, ATi Rage 3D Pro and some weird VESA simulator thing like an Oculus Rift. You can play DOOM3D with it.

looking forward to more

>and some weird VESA simulator thing like an Oculus Rift.
post pics

hope you didn't throw that shit out it sounds pretty neat

I didn't it belongs to my friend I bought the case from, he's into really old hardware and has all these old cases laying around I'll get a hold of him and have him send of pics. I looked all over for an old case and remembered he has stuff like this, he has two other AT towers almost identical to this one that I also own copies of but mine were window-modded when I was still living with my parents like 10 years ago.

He's really into old SGI and DEC stuff.

nice, I've got a couple cases like that out in the garage but I haven't used them for much, one is a bitchin' dual pentium pro and the other one is empty, had a shitty AMD super 7 build in it

>He's really into old SGI and DEC stuff.
me too, too bad I'm too poor and not well connected enough to get my hands on it

Drilled a couple holes in the motherboard tray for passthrough fittings to get tubing to the pump, couple screw holes for the res in the bottom of the case, air540
Would take pics but I'm in bed.

You purchased ES CPU's on ebay from china? ;)

are those fake? Never bought them but I'm sometimes contemplating

Those are engineering samples sent out to OEM's, press and such.

They are pretty much the same deal, but there is no information on durability or if all the VT functions are available on those steppings, the frequency can also be different from the retail ones.

In theory you do not own those CPU's, they are the sole property of Intel. If they find you on the internet bragging your rig they could become dicks and demand those CPU's back.
>be careful

ES CPU's are very available on ebay from chinese sellers dirt cheap, because they are most likely stolen.
I remember reading that several engineers were arrested at several OEM's during one of those crackdowns in china.