I had my last one of these pieces of shit die on me, so now I need a new pair of drives for my media server

I had my last one of these pieces of shit die on me, so now I need a new pair of drives for my media server.

Any suggestions for high reliability high capacity drives?

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/shopping/product/13982908108152782002
google.com/shopping/product/10941733647794146296
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I miss my sister.

Hitachi Ultrastar

No reason to go with anything else.

>3TB
Idiot.
>WD Green
Idiot.

WD Black or Hitachi Ultrastar for normal use, WD Gold or Hitachi He for abusive use, WD Red or Hitachi NAS for NAS.

How long did it last?

HGST

>Hitachi He

This mother fucker right here.

Stop being poor and buy more money.

3rd replacement in 2 years. I got one of these from a friend, got it RMA'd multiple times.

its a storage drive, I don't need 7200 RPM and the noise

I like WD greens to be honest. Although I only use them for storing movies and tv shows.

If all you need is storage, and no speed, buy tape.

that's more expensive

I use WD Reds. They seem fine.

This, they are better for that sorta thing. I store shit that I dont have to open often, pictures, software (rufus, and etc) ISO files, some cracked game installers, music.

>expensive
google.com/shopping/product/13982908108152782002
$19 for 1.5TB?

google.com/shopping/product/10941733647794146296
>Media Included Qty20
$700 for 50TB

That's roughly $14 per TB, as opposed to $25-30 per TB for HDD
Might cost a bit to buy a drive to read the tape though.

Not him. How would this work? And can Windows see it as a drive? Also how about read/write speeds?

This would be the ultimate data backup.

Tape is regularly used by companies for large data back-ups. It's slow, but useful.
You'll need to buy a drive specifically to read/write them, but seeing as companies regularly use them I'm sure Windows supports it, or at least has well supported drivers for them.

I actually have never used tape, but I'm looking at the price of the drives, and they vary by a ton.

they are shit for everything except backups.. like those backups you make once a month, and never touch again, not regular backups

They aren't better for anything.

They're garbage.

>960 pack for only $28k
2.4PB

they are fine. i have.. i think 5 or 6 of them currently running. mainly for storing movies, the oldes one is a 1 tb green, probably 6 years old, still working fine

How much does the device that lets you use them cost?

OP here, literally burnt through 7 of them, all of them failed without warning.

They work just fine for a drive that wont be written too very often. You can also disable Park

Would this be good, or a mistake?

Why not get solid state instead?

I've been using mine for Steam for the past few months. How much longer should I wait to get a quality HDD?

if thats really true, i'd suspect the reason is you, and not the drives.

It sits in a well ventilated machine that has regular use and normal power on/off cycles. No other drives have failed, including a WD black I purchased way back in 2011.

Some searching found that it can vary, but newer ones are up to 2k.

This tech is if you have a LOT of files that you just want long-term storage for, and not much else, it seems.

Am I looking for death?

That drive must be really fucking heavy

it's still hard to believe that 7 wd greens failed on you
i've bin running 5 or 6 of them for years now, no failure, all drives are still perfect.
i've only had 1 drive fail on me within the last 20 years, and that was an external drive that fell from the desk while running

what's wrong with wd blues

The company that makes my sisters vibrator makes HDDs too?

They're about the same level of noise too.

Used to, HGST and Hitachi are separate companies now.

>Might cost a bit to buy a drive to read the tape though
>might

OBVIOUSLY it will, drive cost is the only reason everyone on here isn't using tapes to store their anime

>not getting 3 or 4TB
>getting a drive that doesn't give you best cost/capacity ratio.

It's like you enjoy making bad purchase decisions or something.

Why would you keep buying the same model if theyre shit?

I have a 3TB Green, a 5TB Green, and a 2TB Blue(Green)

Haven't had problems with any of them, knock on wood, but I suspect half the reason is because I took the time to turn disc parking off.

As nice as it is to have an 'eco drive' that turns off during non-use, hard drives crave consistency, whether it's staying on or off.

Not to mention, by default, the disc parking on Greens is super fucking aggressive (eight fucking seconds).

I got 2, and the remainder are RMAs

I haven't seen any good reviews on it, just spend the extra 30$ for the deskstar one, the 4tb ones go for $140 on newegg at least once a month

Yes, get a backup drive ASAP, I've had WD Blues die on me before I even put the OS on it.

drives with less than 4 tb are a waste of physical space and sata ports

You are a monumental fucking retard user

>buy product that isn't designed for intensive use
>subject it to intensive use
>get mad when it inevitably dies from said use

WD green drives are the cheapest possible version, they're not designed to work in a media or any other server.

Maybe if you hadn't gone for the cheapest possible option and actually got something designed for that use (i.e WD red/black) you wouldn't be complaining.

Tl;dr fuck you OP, don't blame WD for your stupidity

>he thinks the drives are actually different beyond the colour of the sticker on them and the price

>he doesn't understand the product he's buying
>he actually believes there's no difference

This.

They are not quiet, but they are designed to last.

>Any suggestions for high reliability high capacity drives?
HGST UltraStar

A WD Blue drive.

>up to 20% faster than other 5400rpm drives
But using "other" there suggests that the drive in question is also 5400rpm.

Retard. Green's are 5400rpm storage drives for basic pc use not NAS.

Get an SSD. I stopped bothering with any mechanical drives a while back due to getting a ThinkPad.

>500gb mSATA SSD boot drive
>1TB SATA SSD storage

Feels great.

post em

4 Start_Stop_Count 0x0032 100 100 020 Old_age Always - 102
9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 058 058 000 Old_age Always - 37394

4 Start_Stop_Count 0x0032 100 100 020 Old_age Always - 104
9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 058 058 000 Old_age Always - 37400

Reds are literally greens with modified firmware.

Don't fall for the Red meme lads. For only a few coins more you can get a 7200rpm HGST.

Deskstar or ultrastar?

£6 more for a 4tb HGST deskstar NAS vs 4tb Red

Toshiba 7200rpm drives tend to be cheaper than reds too.

Is this any good?
For storage and video.

Western Digital Red or HSGT drives.

T|B|H My greens never die
>Pic related it's my 1/2 of my greens still rocking hard in my NAS (1tb version)

Dont bother with SSHDs. For the same Mo eh you can get a faster and bigger regular HDD or an SSD even.

SSHDs are just shitty sub 7200rpm drives with 8gb of cache which is full in no time.

Scratch that second Drive I forgot I actually dropped it and replaced it with a 2tb red at the time I did so.

>power on time 17800 hours
That's fucking nothing.

odds are he already has one, if you understood what this thread was about you'd get that

thanks for telling us about your laptop though

It has survived multiple power surges (about 69, no joke)
It has survived my misshandling of drives (shit fell hard alot of times and smart tests are still gucci)
And the drive is about 6 years old or more I can't actually recall when I got it.

>It has survived multiple power surges (about 69, no joke)
If your PSU has PFC then that literally means nothing.
And if your PSU doesn't have PFC then what the actual fuck are you doing?

>It has survived my misshandling of drives (shit fell hard alot of times and smart tests are still gucci)
Drives can survive several Gs worth of shock, I doubt any of your misshandling was anything worthwhile.

>And the drive is about 6 years old or more I can't actually recall when I got it.
Does age even affect a drive? Fuck I have a Raptor that has like 70k power on hours that had been running almost constantly for 8 years (I have posted it in the past so you can check an archive. It is in a foreign country now so I can't get new pics of it).

Don't hard drives shut down anyway when they detect free fall?

Two 8TB Seagates in RAID 1.
Cheapest dollar per terabyte per year of warrenty.

SMR? What speeds do you get?

They usually park their heads, yeah.

I'll park the tip of my dick in your asshole

I'm imagining an obese neckbeard typing that on a mechanical keyboard xD

Yes please.

>EKSDEEE

This is still a thing?

>t. sweaty neckbeard

>have 3 1/2 year old Seagate
>passes overall health self-assessment test, but SMART reports uncorrectable error

>Toshiba

What's the joke here?

Anything by Toshiba is trash

Their HDDs are actually decent.

If you like loud clicking noises

I don't mind clicking as long as it gives two weeks notice of failure via S.M.A.R.T.

I've yet to have a drive not do that.

I've had two in my server for the last two or three years and never noticed such a thing.

>being this delusional

We're not talking about Seagate user. Toshibas are better than WD or seashit

I got 3x DT01 series 3tb drives and they're bretty gud. Got them dirt cheap too.

just get the cheapest. they are all shit and can break without any warning

>Purposely getting a low quality, cheap hard drive

Enjoy data loss dickhead

>not buying drives in pairs

Either you care about data or you don't.

>he does not backup the cheap drives to tape

Reds are for NAS. Greens are Deathstar-tier.

Is this true? I thought WD had better HDD than Seagate for example. Which one is a better option?

WD has gone downhill a little lately. For similar monies you can get HGST drives which are better in my opinion.

>He uses tape

It's not 1990