What's Sup Forums's opinion on dual booting?

What's Sup Forums's opinion on dual booting?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/EvanPurkhiser/rEFInd-minimal
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

If it's necessary then it's necessary. Don't know what else to say about it.

Deprecated by VMs

I wanted to say it's good, but then I realized every time I tried it I spent 90% of my time in one OS, so it's probably a meme.

ram usage tho

Burg is absolute shit phamm hasnt been updated in years

rEFInd 4 life
github.com/EvanPurkhiser/rEFInd-minimal

Now Windows has a built-in Linux terminal, Dual-boot with Linux is no longer needed for me.

Why would you need to dual boot when Windows 10 can already do everything?

It's disgusting and unnatural.

The only time I actually duel booted was when I was still getting used to GNU/Linux environment and I wanted to use it natively opposed to a virtual lab. Eventually just got rid of Windows anyway.

That shit is fucking retarded. I don't know why you faggots shill this so much. Bash overlays or Ubuntu binaries for Windows is dumb. Just use Windows or GNU/Linux.

I prefer having separate machines. Trading money for simplicity.

The only bootloader you need is your BIOS/EFI.

No way to set up a 2000 x XP x 8.1 system that works well with each other.

Shame you cant allocate x percent of a systems resources to a secondary os on the same pc without virtualisation

I still use it on one computer because I sometimes (rarely) need to use applications that run only on Windows. All my other machines only run Arch.

Buy more

Butthurt Linux user detected

no, because those are slow and inflexible. With refind I can literally just create a new partition, format it, unzip linux to it, and at the next boot refind will let me boot into it just like that

I do it only for my games that I hvent played in over a month.

Lucky to have found this thread.

I'm trying to partition my drive to install Linux onto my windows desktop. Using the disk management utility, I partitioned my C:/ drive to give me 200GB for Linux. However, when I try to format the unallocated space, I'm told I've reached the number of possible partitions. Knowing that's bullshit, I tried to convert it into a dynamic disk, but I'm told I "Don't have enough space," What the hell is this fuckery, Sup Forums? Pic related.

Just start Linux in LiveCD/LiveUSD using the installer which I presume you've prepared for the upcoming installation. Use the partition manager in there, not this Windows garbage.

Trying debian, and it's telling me that it's unable to use this space. I assumed because it was unallocated, and I needed to format.

I'd thought about running a bare-metal hypervisor and win7/osx/whatever.

I didn't have a powerful-enough laptop to run what I wanted to at the time, but that was a few years ago.

May look into it again in the future as my Dell studio 1558 just shit the bed today and it's upgrade time.

I have debian and arch dual boot. Arch is like my half built chevy in the garage, I tell people it will be running oneday.

>mfw i didn't fall for the 128GB RAM meme.

10 rupees have been deposited to your account, pajeet

I like it, due to SSDs it's like 10 seconds to boot into windows for when I want to game. And then I can go back to an OS I actually enjoy using.

Same for me. W10 for gaymen, Fedora for everything else.

literally read the error message - you can have a maximum of four standard partitions on a basic disk. you can work around this by adding a a logical volume to contain additional partitions.

personally i would delete the almost 16gb partition which I assume you want to use for swap, use partition wizard to move the windows recovery partition left, and then create a single linux partition and use a swapfile. incidentally you don't need anything like 200GB for a linux install.

It's only useful if you play vidya regularly and need access to windows. VMs are still too weak for gaymes.

Also WINE is a joke

OS X for work, Windows for muh games

lol
I throw whatever on my laptop to fuck around with but my main rig is always running Debian.
I have Windows on it too but I'm down to just needing Widows for Microsoft Flight Simulator. The only other games I like playing anymore (Rust, Arma and Civ 5) are made for Linux too.

>What's Sup Forums's opinion on dual booting?
I dual boot Gentoo and Ubuntu. Gentoo for work, Ubuntu for playing video games.

I think dual booting is fine, especially if you're dual booting multiple distros (since sharing a home folder etc. is easy)

I have 2 computers, a asrock beebox and custom built. I run windows on my custom for muh games and linux on my beebox. switch between the 2 with a kvm switch, I prefer it to when I was daul booting

try dual booting windows 10 with fastboot enabled. Hilarity ensues.

that is completly retarded please dont encourage people to do that

That's horrible, dual booting is not more complicated than any other simple computer task

This.
Have installed Gentoo, Arch, W10 and OS X all for their own purpose.

How does yours look like that? Mine is just a basic, mostly black grub interface

it's shit
full linux or nothing

I don't know if you're still having trouble with that but it's not bullshit. An HD with an MBR partition table can only have up to four partitions.
You can make a single Linux partition and divide it into multiple logical partitions with LVM, though. The partition tool on the Debian installer can do that.

That's not grub, it's an EFI boot manager
See It won't work on a BIOS pc though

I dual boot Debian MATE and Windows 8.1. The only thing I ever use the windows for is playing Dark Souls as it doesn't run well in WINE or VMs on my machine.

I wish. But setting up PCI passthrough is a fucking nightmare unless you are looking to build a new computer from scratch.

It's essential for how I use my PC and laptop.

I dualboot W7 for a couple of games I play maybe once a month that I can't get to run in WINE. Otherwise I use Debian for everyday shit.

I triple boot 7 Xp and 10,installed 10 as a joke cause i had a spare drive laying around,but it's not a bad OS for web browsing,beats XP for sure.
7 is for gaymen

You cant have more than 4 partitions on your disk, also dont use GNU/Linux on a windows drive to save yourself alot of time later when something goes wrong

its neet but my bootloader gets trashed almost every time and i have to reinstall windows. just use one os.

cancer. Like playonlinux
Those are not the solutions.
Devs should make cross platform software

If you need it for muh gayms or whatever sure
Only the most autistic stallmanite would be against it if you need to use software

>gentoo users
based

bloat.

>look at me mom I think I'm finally fitting in

Windows for gaming and Arch for everything else

Can I load a VM from real partition? I have Windows and Linux installed, but I don't want to double Windows installations.

>Devs should make cross platform software
Yeah, well, they don't. But limiting yourself because devs don't put forth the extra time and effort to make something native is stupid.
Encourage them to make cross platform software, and use PoL and Wine for when they don't.
Look up p2v. I think Qemu can handle VM's from a partition. Also, have a windows recovery handy, in case windows needs a driver swap.

Fuck that.

NO TUX, NO BUX

Done it since 2007

feels good, man

but pipelight for netflix tho

I have 14 partitions on my hdd and it runs fucking well.

Are they all gentoo partitions?

Just one. ^^

That's alright
For now
:^)

Photoshop doesn't work that great on virtualbox for me though. (In fact it's unusable)