Okay...

Okay, I keep hearing PC gamers talking about how console gamers are dumb and getting screwed into buying lower powered systems every four years. So I need to know, how much it cost for me to buy or put together a PC that is powerful enough to beat whatever consoles come out in the next eight years? Price cannot exceed, say, a thousand dollars, a bit above the combined price of two consoles on their days of release (i.e. PS 4.5 and PS5).
If I can't keep ahead of consoles for eight years with 1,000 bucks, where is the benefit in getting a PC instead of consoles.

Bonus points: how much would it cost to build a PC that is powerful as the *current* PS4? I bought mine factory refurbished for 300 on Amazon.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/wiki/builds)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>underrated thread
Eat that PC mastershit.

This board had moderators at one point.

I'm sure of it.

No counter arguments.

Ponka outside from /mlp/ though.

My total spend on my precious PC which ran continiously for 8 years was about £800 which included a new graphics card about 5 years in due to component failure. It's still in use as a gaming machine running SC2, elite, and a few different MMOs since i donated it to my younger brother. Before that it was mainly Fallout 4 and a heavily modded Skyrim thing.

Hardware-wise who knows what it's remaining lifespan is but it does run pretty much all current gen games at mid to high settings.

My new PC may or may not last as long, PC users are getting increasingly screwed by jew manufacturers these days but i expect to get two or three generations of gaming before I have to start looking at upgrades or overclocking to keep up.

There's no point in a gaming PC if you're ok with the extremely low quality gaming consoles can deliver.

>800 £
>runs Fallout 4 on mid settings with the age of 8 years
Sure thing. Get back to your edgy friends in the kindergarten.

Low quality graphics-wise? So tell me how much I'd have to spend to have a set-up that will noticeably outperform consoles for the next eight years.

Or are you talking about micromanagement games, which don't really appeal to me anyway.

They're here right now, make sure you don't make a post that they disagree with them or you'll get B&.

>the next eight years
You do realize how ridiculous this is? What was PC technology like back in 2008? Do you think even the best and most expensive PC components could hold a candle to what is mainstream today?

Those USB ports look very unaesthetic.

The adventage is that after say 5 years you only replace things that are too slow, not the whole pc. So it is cheaper as the time flows

So I start with buying a thousand dollar PC, and then every five years spend two hundred on upgrades to keep up with consoles?

Not if the GraCa costs at least as much as the new console itself (and if it doesn't pls consider Processor, Mainboard, RAM, etc.)

/r/pcmasterrace on reddit has some builds, but you might need to add more if you have the money

(reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/wiki/builds)

>the next eight years
That's not how this works. Graphics technology makes huge leaps in such a time.

This isn't something for poor people.

Depends how much you want to stack the odds in favour of the console, are you including the cost of a monitor but not the TV consoles use, the cost of an OS because you have to use Windows, are you forgetting the higher cost of games and cost to play online, are you forgetting "equivalent settings on PC" are 1080p 60fps rather than 720p 30fps which is over twice as intensive before you start comparing graphics?

If the answers are yes then there is no discussion, get a console and stop bothering people with an ounce of common sense.

It's hard to project that far out since we don't know
the specs of the old consoles. You could have built a PC back in 2013 for about $400 that beat out a PS4 though, even more so today. Plus you don't have to pay full price for games (you can get huge discounts on G2A etc + torrent) and not pay for multiplayer (which you have to do for consoles).

Why are you angry?

Consoles are literally just poor man gaming PCs, professionally optimized to be mass produced cheaply. If you have no money they're ideal.

Pitting a gaming PC against a gaming console is stupid, they aren't even in the same league. If you want a premium experience you have to deal with the premium price tag.

Specs of the new consoles*.

Of course he doesn't realize how ridiculous it is. He's a consolefag. He has zero understanding of technology.

So what you're saying is, you've never kissed a girl.

>If you want a premium experience you have to deal with the premium price tag.

Only with Jewvidia and to some degree Intel, desu.

Who the hell buys two consoles? Just include the price of the console and a decent TV ($350). $400+TV brings the cost to $750.
Irregardless of the price, PCucks can't actually get a build that equates a console in both price and performance. The only games those "potato masher" builds can play at muh 60FPS are MMOs. You will have to spend at least 800 dollars with peripherals to get a machine that can run modern AAA games at 60 frames and not look like shit.

>Buy console for $400
>Still have to buy a computer for school/work
>Probably some kind of expensive macbook >essentially have not saved any money

It's almost as if a desktop does many more things for me than just play games.

kek

By premium I mean more than 300 shekels for the entire build.

Why is there a Sup Forums thread on my Sup Forums?

Free hotpockets somewhere.

>Probably some expensive macbook
Yeah, if you're retarded. Just get some cheap ass Chromebook for school or the used Thinkpad meme.

And that is totally fine because for $800 you will have a COMPUTER that can do COMPUTER things and isn't just a dedicated GAYMING box

Slow down Satan, most consoles can do most of the shit dudebros use computers for anyways.

>60FPS
Your console doesn't run at 60 FPS, why are you holding the build to higher standards? The point is to upgrade to the next console tier you only need to buy another $100 GPU, whichever one the console develop put into their new console if you like.

Can you browse Sup Forums on a console?

Word, excel, ppt, Photoshop, etc. Dude bros need to finish their education as well.

>Can you browse Sup Forums on a console?
>Word, excel, ppt,
Yes.
>Photoshop
Come the fuck on. What makes you think dudebros can shoop?

if you can use used parts like you did with the PS4 it should be easy.

though don't get why spending a few hundred bucks once like every 3 years for a upgrade is that bad.

you are afterall paying to get a much better experience than a console, which can barely get 1080p@60fps, and only dreams of having 1440p

>dudebros

I really want Sup Forums to leave now.

So the final consensus is that if you want to spend more money, you can always have a superior gaming experience with a PC. You can have a PC that is only as powerful as the new consoles as they come out, but you're ultimately spending about the same amount in the long run. Plus, console exclusives are out. No Japanese rpgs and such.

Seeing as consoles run most games at shitty quality a $1000 pc could last 8 years and by the end of it it'd probably run games approximately as bad as the then current-gen consoles. Working with years is dumb though, let's say 2 console generations instead of 8 years, as the price of the pc has to be equal to 2 consoles at launch. If you get a new gpu after another console gen, it'll last another 2 gens before it reaches console performance, after which you have money to upgrade again.

>You can have a PC that is only as powerful as the new consoles as they come out
You got that backwards. Console are almost as powerful as PCs when they come out. Remember 1080/60fps versus 720/30fps. It took consoles two generations to get hardware up to snuff and a lot of games still don't pull down PC rates while PCs are moving on to 4k/60fps.

or just get both you poorfag.
first PC for multiplats and then console after like 3 years when the exclusives actually come out and they release a upgraded model

I'd like to see you get a decent degree without even touching a computer.

I can get an indian CS degree without touching a computer
Then take your job

>thinks Indian computer science students don't touch computers

>indian CS
Does that stand for Competitive Shitting?

Here's my speccy op, getting a second 290 here in two days.

Not including monitors and the second graphics card, I spent ~$1100

I can play most everything at 2560x1440 except for very demanding games like the Witcher 3 which I can run at 1440 at medium/medium low settings at 60fps.

I should be set for a while. As it sits I think I should be good until the 600 series or 1200 series comes out. Games are cheaper on pc too m8. It's also a multimedia center.

If you want to play on your console that's fine, I don't give a shit.

There's no point in justifying your purchase because nobody really cares.

holy fucking kek

Initial cost is higher.
But over time it gets cheaper over time compared to consoles because games are much cheaper on pc and you can pirate shit if you are into that.

Plus most games look better on pc, run smoother and are easier to mod.

Also there is emulation if you've missed some good older games. Also old games get a lot of free graphics mods.

>PC's cost more initially
>But you're otherwise investing in superior performance
>You don't have to pay a subscription fee to play online
>You're not channeled to one store should you choose to purchase digital copies of your games
>And the hardware you decide to use and buy is vastly scalable and upgradable
>Same computer you use to game can easily double for productivity, ie. rendering, content creation, etc.

You're not buying a toy, you're making an investment......

I run everything on high and shit never drops below 60. I spent 750€ on my rig.

>gaymer garbage