Explain why you use tiling window manager

Explain why you use tiling window manager.
Ready, go!

i'm not because i prefer doing actual work over looking like some "l33t h4x0r" to myself or some small circlejerk of autist.

i cant manage my own windows

I am not dvtm+dtach just works fine

tmux is my tiling wm

Your next actual work is to learn how to type.

> not using xterm or urxvt

I use i3 on my laptop.
It's much easier to navigate around windows / workspaces with keybinds, than using a touchpad to try to sort it all out.

Because it is the computer's role to manage windows, not mine.

same
When I use Windows I end up tiling everything anyways and just get annoyed at the little options you have for window management.

The only way I would use tiling window manager is on a small laptop

Why is it hard to do real work on a tiling windows manager? You spend maybe an hour getting accustomed to the work flow and then you can easily manage multiple workspaces and windows.

You don't have to see anything you're not working on. There's not as much space filled up with window decorations, icons, and other bullshit.

/thread

I'm on l33t 1336 cancer resolution

Meh, tiling wms are great if you have to work on a laptop only with text. Also I hate to be seen using one. I use awesome with some really basic config that was default on some version Fedora with the small addition that Skype(required for work related communication) always gets sent to workspace 9 and Firefox to workspace 8.

> using the mouse for anything

plus configurable

I am thinking of installing one, but it seems like pain in the ass.
>can't move window where you actually want
>takes an hour to configure
I feel like it's just a meme used by Hollywood hacker movies.

An hour to learn a new UI paradigm isn't all that much compared to alternatives.
I neve got Unity or Gnome shell, and never bothered.

You can obviously install it alongside any other wm, and switch depending on need.

One thing I hate is having a stack of terminals in the taskbar, and need to flick through all of them to find the one I need.

Just print a cheatshit from your wm of choice, and give it a go. Why not.

Tip: you can still use "stacked" or "tabbed" layout
Tip: if you want you can "float" windows, making them act in a "traditional" way
Tip: in i3 you can put windows in the "scratchpad", for example put a terminal in there and you have an instant guake replacement (but it's not limited to

Because tmux gets the job done without losing the conviniences of a compositioning wm

To keep a browser window and an IM window side by side. Other than that I rarely need multiple windows on the screen, but it's nice to have fullscreen windows for every software I use.

How do I make my font look like this?

I don't. Most of my software takes up most or all of my screen space.

I use a Macbook Pro, which is great because fullscreening a program gives it its own workspace, and workspaces can be switched through just by swiping on the trackpad.

Meme about 'b-b-b-but its apple' all you want, but OS X + Apple trackpad is a godly combination for productivity, at least in my use-case.

>using systemD bloatware

> fast
> nice
> autistic

why?
On my laptop, always have my windows maximized and in the rare situtation where I need two windows side by side, I would use the hotkey anyway, so using a tiling window manager doesn't help at all

>thinking people who don't use tiling don't have hotkeys

it makes my normie friends think im a hacker

If you're going to use hotkeys, why would you want to layer the windows behind each other?

> inb4 alt-tab

i3 = workspaces

>takes an hour to configure

Why is this bad for something you're going to be using all the time?

I don't have severe autism

Why do you have that picture saved then?

becouse of freedom

dis

also its faster and more betterer once you take like 10 seconds to learn the hotkeys and set up your config file

Fuck you got me

>Vim
>Arch

Every other window manager has workspaces, this is not unique.

And layers of windows makes a lot of sense if you use graphical applications.
From everything to a notification, to a dialog promt, you don't want those things to take half the screen.
Finally, you may want to have a terminal for quick access to log output open, but you don't want to see it on the screen you are on. anywhere.

fast is the term. The mouse is down slow for windows managing

switching between terms for example... when you spawn something it automaticly find own place...
less ram usage becouse of minimalism

>On my laptop, always have my windows maximized and in the rare situtation where I need two windows side by side

I've been questioning whether I'm using tilingwm wrong and I should switch to floating with keyboard control.

I tried awesome and xmonad, and there kind of nifty, but it seems to me they suit the multi-tasker more than they do the dedicated shitposter.
I usually only have one window at a time open, and not fullscreen, to better facilitate desktop icon and taskbar clicking.

Wow, do you dislike everything that's good, or just the best things?

>arch
>best
Get your shits together

I just prefer debian and emacs.