Is there an actual advantage of using linux or are you guys just contrarian?

Is there an actual advantage of using linux or are you guys just contrarian?

Windows and OSX UI suck and Linux has package management.

The only reason not to use it is if you need professional platform dependent software, play games, or simply don't have time to learn.

>Windows and OSX UI suck
What about the rest of it?

Amendment: If you use an AMD GPU you shouldn't Linux because no drivers.

vai tomar no olho do teu cu filho da puta

I don't have any malware. Pretty damn good start if you ask me.

>Windows and OSX UI suck
>Loonix autistic UI is better
k

>The only reason not to use it is if you need professional platform dependent software, play games, or simply don't have time to learn.
Or if you want an OS that fucking works and isn't a locked down toddler POSIX piece of shit.

The only reason we use linux is to rice and post on desktop thread, that's literally it. Nobody actually uses loonix outside of those things irl. I dual boot linux debian and Windows 7 btw.

Linux has better hardware and software support.

oh boy Sup Forums is pretty over. what happened? reddit? Sup Forums? summer time?

>linux debian

kek

You have to make that decision. Windows is good a lot of things, and Linux is good at a lot of things. I use Linux because I like the philosophy behind free software, and I like the workflow terminal offers me. Since I only use my computer for programming, browsing the internet, and watching videos, Windows doesn't offer any advantage for me.

>or are you guys just contrarian
where do you think we are

You literally just said Linux hardware support on AMD GPUs is dogshit. Also can Linux run Adobe illustrator and Adobe premier pro cc properly in WINE yet? Because if not then it can suck my balls.

>save a jpg and an animated gif to an empty folder
>double click on the jpg
>push right or left arrow keys to move to the gif

Somehow Windows can't do this properly without installing a 3rd party utility.

On the other hand there WILL be a piece of hardware on your computer that flat out doesn't work because of chipset drivers, which is ostensibly the hardware manufacturer's fault. Also you have to be part of Stallman's weird ideology where he redefines words to mean new things in order to get him more speaking fees.

Yeah but on Windows you have to rely on hardware providers updating WHQL shit to the latest version so you end up with tons of legacy hardware that isn't supported. OSX is the same way and even worse because lots of manufacturers simply never update the drivers or don't bother supporting OSX in the first place.

Linux doesn't have these problems because all of the hardware support is built into the kernel and generally once something is supported it takes very little effort if any to maintain that support.

quero que você morra

It's objectively faster unless you bloat it down and turn it into a second Windows, it's more customizable natively, you actually get the feeling that you know of everything that's going on behind the scenes pretty much all the time, essentially no malware, package management, and probably some other reasons I'm forgetting (Not mentioning open source because that's now gone around the contrarian loop to the point where people look down on it now for some reason)
That being said, I'm on Windows because I need all of my ridiculous amount of gaymes to be playable.

It's great for a thousand reasons, but a thread like this comes every hour, so please use your google-fu.

But Linux sucks rofl

>consumes less energy -> battery lasts longer
>easier to install os
>easier to install programs
>easier to setup development environment
>uses less ram

? I have a Nano. Way more usable than nVidia.

>Windows and OSX UI suck
>but quasi-XP and tasteless minimal tilers are the best shit ever

lmao

That's a small GPU

I don't understand how clicking 'next' 10 times is somehow harder than dicking around in a terminal and reading man files every time you want to do something.

Integrated sftp is way better than active directory.

Also, my 30GiB laptop that runs my fileserver won't run windows for a long time

Why

This board is for 18+, you're not old enough to be a anão, sorry.

The advantage is eat cú and buceta

I can literally ssh into my homeserver, forward x11 and start a torrent download there. IDK windows servers do this but I am not willing to pay money for that

brasileirinho medíocre de merda

for you

nice meme, theres more than five different drivers developed for amd cards

>we

> Nobody actually uses loonix outside of those things irl.
>95% of servers
>Telsa
>Android
>ROS

yes

ayy lmao.

doesn't fucking bug me about updates
just fucking werks
werks better than windows

The advantage I enjoy is how low I can push the performance demands on my shitty laptop. Even with browser and word processor open I don't crack 50% RAM or CPU, so everything stays snappy and responsive. Windows 10 was consuming half of the available RAM just to idle with nothing open. Anything I did caused stuttering and pushed the limits. Being a cheap computer is no excuse for being overwhelmed by ridiculously simple use cases.

I kinda like the idea of computing being open and free. You know. Not some big, locked down piece of spyware that forces me to use my computer in a way I don't want to. Oh and it wants me to _pay_ it, presenting it's retrictions as a feature.

Linux isnt meant for home pc use
Only autist do that for internet bragging points. Outside of that linyx has plenty of uses such as hosting servers

Being able to do a lot without a GUI is great as well. If I want to read a wiki page, listen to music and chat on irc I don't even need to startx. It's a life saver when using my eee pc.

In what way isn't it meant for home pc use? I have a netbook, laptop and desktop that have all run a bunch of different distros for years with very few issues.

>Linux isnt meant for home pc use
But it's perfect for casual home pc use.
It has word processors, internet browsers, it runs fast, and is completely free.

The whole a la carte option is just very nice. I'm not weighed down by 200 services and all sorts of compositing effects that I don't need or want. "Your hardware is too weak to do XYZ" goes in one ear and out the other now. I'm magically doing it just fine. The hardware is incredibly capable, especially when faced with modest demands of internet usage and media playback.

You mean Debian GNU/Linux.

And fancy dipping your toes in a distro like gentoo then that whole side of things reaches a pretty fantastic level. However, I won't say that is for everyone as not everyone wants that sort of control.

this, desu

I actually don't have many problems with windows right now, I've used both and only stick to windows because I prefer not having to use a VM to use some of my favorite programs.
But a big issue I have is that loads of tools and programs are turning into subscriptions and services, I especially dislike the direction windows 10 is heading. I want my programs to be just that, tools on my computer that I can call upon when I need them, not forcing me to update them and pay monthly and needing a billion interlinked accounts for them all.

Linux isnt perfect, but it's slowly becoming apparent that it's the only platform that still recognizes that want.
I'm still in the windows camp, but I wouldnt be surprised if in about 10 years I'll be a linux guy.

Even normal people use more than just internet browser and word processor on their computers. If you're running a notebook from 2007 linux will be good but if you have a proper pc running linux, it is a waste

Lebian/DNU Ginux

But this is just isn't true. On my more powerful computers I have been able to get the most out of my hardware and been able to run all the applications I want. Sure sometime it requires a little tinckering and know-how but I didn't pay for this so I don't mind. Plus I actually enjoy it. But the majority of the time things have just werked.

DRM. DRM everywhere.

/me weeps into his breakfast.

I know this is the most popular selling point for Windows/macOS, but it just fucking works.

However, the Telemetry shit they're pushing does not fly with me. I really want to learn to properly use Debian, but the main reasons I still only use Windows are

>easy file management that looks good
>.exe files are easier to use than apt-get with the adding sources and shit
>ms office
>wireless mouse/keyboard app in android

And that Windows just feels a bit more stable somehow.

I'll give windows that it's far more stable than people give it credit for in the right hands.
On the flip side, when windows decides to shit the bed, most of the there's virtually nothing you can do to fix it.

>when windows decides to shit the bed
Which is not very often, honestly.

I actually tried using Debian exclusively for a while, but the entire OS just feels so brittle. It took me three hours to fix my touchpad drivers, even more to "rice" everything so it was the way I wanted to. Maybe I should've used it a bit longer to get used to it.

I'd add that I've never had Linux fail catastrophically either. At worst I've fucked something up in Xorg because I was tinkering, but then I just go back and fix it from the terminal. It's always a very contained failure state. When Windows fails on me it tends to be less predictable and it fails big. BSOD, game over, shit's wrecked. Sometimes even safe mode isn't an answer.

If your touchpad driver in Windows conked out right now, would you say that Windows had shit the bed? I feel like ideas about configuration and stability are getting blended together here. Linux can be a pain in the dick to configure but that process doesn't tend to undermine the stability of any OS. It's not like you're misconfiguring the kernel.

Linux is meant to be a server OS, using it on your PC is a meme gone wrong

Linux packet managers are the easiest, comfiest things on the world!

As for file managers there are loads! And you can make them do/look like what you

I get the opposite feeling. When I use someone's window machine it seems so clunky and syrupy. Also I feel like I'm asking the OS's permission to do stuff target then telling it what to do.

>Pain in the dick

At least it _ is _ properly configurable.

It just werks. I'm pretty dumb, but something about just typing in sudo apt-get (program name) and having it download and install without even having to open up a browser just makes sense to me.

Plus I don't use my computer for anything but web browsing, anime watching, typing, and emulators, so I don't need Windows on my main computer. I still have a Windows machine that isn't connected to the internet for when I eventually feel like playing a newer game, though.

>Memes memes memes memes memes memes memes

Name games are all shit though!

If you want to watch a video or DVD, geexbox runs more like a DVD player instead of a full computer, i.e. it won't seize up or attempt to update a printer driver in the middle of a movie.

That may be, but I still get the urge to check some out every once in a while and it's a good way to still get some use out of my previous computer.

This thread isn't even about GPUs m8, stop being so outrageously buttblasted in every single thread I swear to god please just leave and go troll on Sup Forums

>muh end to end encryption
>implying it's not user1->apple server ->user2
>we care about our fags
applel is trash

Advantages are subjective.

That's an odd way to express any perceived advantages of Linux+ gnu

Anyone above retard has no malware.

So that excludes windows users... And OSX users...

bm

Of course not. LOONIX is for autists and poorfags LOL.

Ask for genuine Microsoft software.

eu tenho nojo de você. vai morrer vazio, frustrado, ninguém nunca vai te amar de verdade

there's chocolatey tho

installed snow leopard, win 7, and lubuntu on an old intel atom netbook and lubuntu blows the other 2 out of the water in terms of usablility and performance

Got a server with Linux for several reasons. Maintaining it from all over the world just feels better using another Linux machine.
Also hotkeys, on Linux I can simply set them instead of fucking around with AHK on win.

I install it for idiots that constantly get viruses and shit. Saves me a ton of work.

it's still a million times better than WhatsApp

gnome 2's X button isn't even the corner when your window is maximized

>Is there an actual advantage of using linux

If you're talking about linux distros, It depends on the user, most distros let you have bigger control over your pc, which is nice, if you have a minimum idea of what you're doing.

Some people find being free, as in gratis, an advantage, I personally like that, but I don't really care.

I also like the community (at least the non-troll part of it), I like how, if you have to search the solution to a problem, you can find someone that actually has the patience to explain what's wrong and why you should do what you're told to do (or at least send you a link to some documentation that does that) instead of just tell you "copy and paste this on a terminal", sure there are some people that do that, but if you search just a little bit more, you can find a better answer.

Some people say linux doesn't have viruses or malware, that's bullshit, though it's true that's a lot harder to get one, and usually you have an easy solution.

I find an advantage in having a lot of distros with different philosophies behind them, and that, even if the distros are completely different, if you learned how to use one, it's easier to use and learn any other.

I like to use the terminal to do shit, even if I can do some of those things through a gui.

>>easier to install programs

You either have to open up a console or have to use a god awful apple-store-type software. Installing drivers is an absolute pain.

All of those things.

Ubuntu's Ubiquity and *ahem* Fedora's Anaconda was made for normal people to not spend extra time fucking around with the aforementioned.
Supreme bait btw

>install ubuntu mate
>tearing out of the ass

How is this considered acceptable?

> bash
> open Source
> UI
> superuser
> file-system
> more efficient kernel
> better software
> not constantly spying on you (inb4 cuckbuntu)

> ubuntu
install gentoo or at least arch you retard

Don't listen to , install Slackware 1.0, friendo. ;^)

It's not easier, it's safer, just type whatever the fuck your distro package manager is and the name of the software and you'll get the software, instead of having to open the web browser, search for the program's page, or wherever the hell you want to download it, and then go through a whole gui of shit people usually don't even bother to read which usually ends up in retards complaining about having werid shit and "viruses" on their computers.

I have to tell both are just fucking easy, if you know how to type you can do any of the two.

That being said, I agree, the Ubuntu store is shit.

>install Ubuntu mate
Why would you do that to yourself?

I already formatted and reinstalled windows, sorry. I actually fixed it before doing that but disliked the linux experience too much. These kinds of problem shouldn't even show up.

>I actually fixed it before doing that but disliked the Ubuntu experience too much
FTFY

there are no windows 10 upgrade popup

my friend has arch linux on his laptop and had the same issue

he didn't notice it until I pointed it out though

> slackware
enjoy dictatorship you nigger

On Arch you have to manually install pretty much everything, he probably didn't installed a composite manager.

Either that or he was just using shitty mate.

Package manager.

Respects your freedums.

Not full of "telemetry".

Low level tools that aren't complete trash.

The advantage is that the operating system isn't shit like Windows.