Let's take a moment to celebrate the career of Woz (aka The More Likeable of the Two Steves)

Let's take a moment to celebrate the career of Woz (aka The More Likeable of the Two Steves).

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.jetbrains.com/clion/2015/07/infographics-cpp-facts-before-clion/
openbenchmarking.org/result/1404144-KH-CLANG359076
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Woz is based. He should replace rms in the sticky.

Should I make a static webm of him?

What would Woz do if he was back at Apple? Would they be making cool shit again?

Based as fuck

has he done anything since apple? does he support free software or at least open source? (asking seriously)

Mostly agree, although I'd rather have a collage of actual contributors to computing and information theory.

Woz should be in there obviously, but RMS contributed nothing but emacs, he's a political figure, not a technological figure.

Other people included should be Dennis Ritchie, John McArthy and Sir Tim Berners Lee.
feel free to add more.

Don't feel free to add RMS.

Kill yourself, NEETcuck

I-I'm sorry. That's why I asked for permission first you meanie.

I haven't followed what he's done but I'm pretty sure he supports open source.

Has stallman done anything since cloning gosmacs and writing a crappy compiler? Does he actually further communism or at least open source instead of ruining its image with his autistic public persona?

Hey now, stallman ruined free software forever with a viral license and aggressive libertardian-tier whining about morals and values he just made up without even bothering with logical proofs. he also held back progress in OS paradigms by partnering with lindorks tornerds and immortalizing UNIX, seriously contributing to the death and carbonite entombment of plan 9.

he deserves to be worshipped on the worst website on earth. a shame he's only an idol here and not on reddit, though.

Predicted Snowden revelation

Apparently he loved pranks and would pull practical jokes all the time. Thats how he met his wife. He called a random woman to tell her a joke:

"I bet I can hang up faster than you!" *click*

100% true story

What was so good about plan 9?

He looks so happy

The 2 dollar bills and fake ID story was hilarious.

> RMS contributed nothing but emacs
You're forgetting GCC (still the most widely used compiler in the world) and all the work he did during the lisp wars. He may be retired from coding but he was certainly a capable programmer.

Clang is taking over, though.

Sure, but GCC has been useful and relevant for nearly 30 years. It's a real achievement and the fact that it is now being superseded does not invalidate that.

>still the most widely used compiler in the world
proof?

See: blog.jetbrains.com/clion/2015/07/infographics-cpp-facts-before-clion/ which is up-to-date as of July 2015. For C++ programmers, Visual C++ is *slightly* ahead of GCC on Windows (two percentage points,) but on non-Windows platforms and for non-windows targets, GCC is by far the leader. Even on Windows, GCC significantly leads Clang (especially when you consider that the "MinGW" category is probably mostly GCC as well.) And for C programmers, since VC++ doesn't support C that well, I'd expect GCC to be the unambiguous leader.

GCC also supports more targets than CLang (21 vs 19,) meaning GCC is used on a wider variety of platforms for a wider variety of applications.

The general consensus is that GCC still produces better-optimized output than CLang as well, although CLang will produce the executable faster. For example: openbenchmarking.org/result/1404144-KH-CLANG359076

But back on topic: Woz is based as fuck, and if there were any justice he'd be famous instead of Jobs. Got to shake Woz's hand once, really cool dude.