The best OS to exist is OS X. It's the best in ease of use for new users and productivity for experienced ones...

The best OS to exist is OS X. It's the best in ease of use for new users and productivity for experienced ones. Take renaming a file to start with dot for example: in windows it just throws an error forcing someone who needs to create a file starting with dot to use cmd.exe, in most if not all linux DEs/file managers it creates a file starting with dot, but is hidden, confusing the user who didn't know that, while OS X explains the user why he shouldn't do that, while giving an option to proceed. And this happens with every aspect -- modifying system files, executing scripts and so on. Also OS X is the most complete OS, featuring little things that put it ahead of all others. Can your DE and/or file manager perform boolean searches, quick calculations in search and summarize text via built-in summarizer? Aqua/Quartz can.

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/content/documentation/FileManagement/Conceptual/APFS_Guide/Introduction/Introduction.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40016999-CH1-DontLinkElementID_27
cvedetails.com/product/156/Apple-Mac-Os-X.html?vendor_id=49
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Call me when you have a decent filesystem

I don't like mac hardware, that alone prevents me from using their OS.

Plus, I've spent too much time in linux to just abandon it at this point.

It's macOS now.
They're making a new one already.

>.DS_Store

Calling right now.
>thumbs.db
>other windows shit

Nice try, OP. But after today's shitshow of a keynote I really don't feel like defending Apple for a long time, and this is coming from a Mac user.

APFS looks promising. But knowing Apple as they are now under Tim Cuck, they'll probably fuck it up somehow.

try it on a non-apple computer -- works better than linux on my non-apple machine
Mavericks for life
t. op

Why would I waste my money on software and operating systems that I can't use how I want?

2 rupees have been deposited in your loo Rajeesh!

I'd rather not live in fear that some random update will intentionally break my unauthorized install of OS X.

And don't try to downplay this.
Apple purposefully designed their OS to not function on hardware that they didn't produce.

t. microcuck

>throws an error
I fucking hate this noob expression.

No update broke my install for me yet...
And programming languages apparently

should've just licensed ZFS or cucked UFS2 from FreeBSD like they do everything else

I remember being so excited for Snow Leopard with all the rumors that it would get ZFS... Back then I also didn't know Apple would Jew me so hard and make all my PPC machines obsolete.

>APFS
What's this? Haven't heard of it.

OP, can you do these? These are called "minimizing" and "closing"

It's a new in-house developed file system to replace the arthritic donkey that is HFS+. It's probably the only feature that real people would actually give a shit about in the new "macOS". But of course they didn't want to mention anything that isn't related to FUCXKING EMOJIS AND TWEEN BULLSHIT.

Here's some documentation on APFS: developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/content/documentation/FileManagement/Conceptual/APFS_Guide/Introduction/Introduction.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40016999-CH1-DontLinkElementID_27

PC users: BTFO

Finally a replacement for HFS+. 2017 shipping seems ambitious for a file system, though. I would be careful if I were them, unless this has been in quiet development for the last 4 years.

>I remember being so excited for Snow Leopard with all the rumors that it would get ZFS
You're thinking of Leopard

While this is cool and everything, it's not exactly a relevant point to make when arguing against a bunch of Sup Forums hikikomoris...

Why is macos such a fucking joke?

I've heard some bad things from people who have installed the dev preview today, for example:
>~/Documents is gone
>~/Desktop is gone
>chflags nohidden doesn't work
As well as the doc mentioning it's for iOS, watchOS, etc., I have a bad feeling that APFS might be extremely locked down and inaccessible.

>pre-beta software has problems or unimplemented functionality

oh, it all makes much more sense now, doesn't it?

the thing with apple vs microsoft is apple actually fixes all the problems with their beta before relase, or they don't release.

The fact that core directories like ~/Documents and Desktop are completely gone doesn't bode well. And I assume the dev preview doesn't even have APFS, so this simplification of the file system is a preemptive design decision to get it in line for their ultimate goal - to make macOS as inaccessible and "user-friendly" as iOS. Mark my words.

>to make macOS as inaccessible and "user-friendly"
i'm a noob and want everybody to know

>Apple

I create dotfiles straight from the file manager in Windows. You have no idea what you're talking about.

>i use windows and i'm not ashamed
lel

>The fact that core directories like ~/Documents and Desktop are completely gone doesn't bode well.
That's probably to prevent people from using the beta on a main drive.

Google "sunk-cost bias". I ditched ricing and "cutting edge software" when I realized the only reason I was still spending time debugging and fixing half-broken shit is because "Well, I've already spent so much time on my customized desk top, so I can't abandon it now! And since I put so much time into it, it must be good!"

OS X way is the best and most right one.
last Mac OS X version was made in last decade.

stokholm syndrome: the post

>it's functioning as designed
>b-but I don't like it so it sux, rite guise?

You have to add the vulnerabilities here for all of the Windows and Linux versions. "Mac OS X" refers to every version together.

Great post dude

How do you know that?

That's how you create a hidden file you dumb cum gurgler. And you can unhide the files. OSX tells the users because the users would have no idea what they are doing (they are computer illiterate).

But it's never happened in any previous dev previews of OS X. I think it's a conscious decision, just like they've been trying to force "All My Files" on Mac users for the last 3-4 versions of OS X. They're trying to get rid of the traditional hierarchical file system.

>But it's never happened in any previous dev previews of OS X
...I thought this was about APFS?

cvedetails.com/product/156/Apple-Mac-Os-X.html?vendor_id=49

They're just adding up the vulnerabilities throughout the years, but Mac OS X goes through different versions

Here you go

If that's not how it is then they've done a terrible job with labeling

I don't think the dev preview includes APFS yet. I could be wrong, but I still stand by what I said.

not person you replied to, but because it lists windows 8.1, 8 and 7 seperately, but doesn't OS X 10.8, 10.9, 10.10 and 10.11
thanks mr obvious, that's what i told in original post but less rude

>have no idea what they are doing (they are computer illiterate)
>please stop making computers easier, this is the only way i can impress my mom

>I don't think the dev preview includes APFS yet.
From the APFS information page
"Important: APFS is released as a Developer Preview in OS X 10.12"

So I'm guessing it has something to do with APFS, but your description of events is not exactly clear.

>Please don't buy a manual-gear car, I am too dumb

cmd+q/cmd+h

>everyone would have a better driving experience if they would just drive stick

yep, that's totally correct. i don't even know why i'm arguing with you.

>he fell for the manual transmission meme

ah so you're a car analogy guy eh. too dumb to come up with an argument that's not a fallacy or oversimplification?

>not just flying a helicopter
lol r u too poor or too dumb

>Better driving experience without manual transmission
Can't argue back?
Find me helipads

What's going on here?

>Brand new file system APFS fixes everything wrong with HFS+ but one particular thing is fucked so massively that nobody can use it seriously

So we've gotten rid of the concept of "file hierarchies" entirely, and replaced it with tags. All files are preceeded by a UUID, and the file table indexes these to the file on the physical drive, reordering them so the content's UUIDs are always in alphanumeric order. So no more going through folders trying to find a file, just go to Spotlight, and search for "2014 Sales Projections"

Or, from the terminal, run filesearch -n "2014 Sales Projections", and APFS will automatically pull up the file for you. You can even tag your files, using filetag -u "2014 Sales Projections" -c "blue" -d "Sales Spreadsheets". These tags will even be visible on your watchOS devices. It's really, truly, a magical experience.

>So we've gotten rid of the concept of "file hierarchies" entirely, and replaced it with tags. All files are preceeded by a UUID, and the file table indexes these to the file on the physical drive, reordering them so the content's UUIDs are always in alphanumeric order. So no more going through folders trying to find a file, just go to Spotlight, and search for "2014 Sales Projections"

Source

This is what i always wanted from a filesystem. I always thought that it's impossible though. I hope linux will support it.

That sounds like a good idea that's going to be terrible in practice.

Man I was hyped till I read this. I hope you're bullshitting

hold the fuck up
how would that work with UNIX core of OS X?
that'll break every program
and kernel itself

Surprise, Mac OS Classic is coming back. Fuck UNIX.

No source

or would it be iOS Pro? 2 resource forks were kinda cool though

Tiger, Leopard, and El Capitan for life, I guess

It's completely made up you dumbasses

Snow Leopard/Mavericks > Leopard

Snow Leopard and Mavericks can't run on PowerPC hardware.

>comparing operations systems with web browsers and database servers.

My "Hello World" bash script has zero vulnerability. I win.

Not if most of the Macs you own are PPC. Then your best option is Leopard, OpenBSD, Debian (but Linux trackpad drivers are absolute AIDS), or MorphOS if hate yourself.

>operations systems
Tip top kek

Then why did he list Tiger?

Because Tiger is the best option for lower clock G4s and is better if you use Classic often as it's nonexistent in Leopard.

Maybe he owns G3s or slower G4s, like I dual-boot OS 9 and Tiger on an iBook G3. Plus Leopard runs like dogshit on any G4 below 1GHz, and you need at least 1GB of RAM for it to be anywhere near usable.

Fair enough. I prefer Puma/Panther for aesthetics though. Not like any of them are still supported.

>owning macs

Panther's the best version aesthetically
>Not like any of them are still supported
Tiger and Leopard are, just not by Apple.

I used the early versions of OS X back when they were released, so while the aesthetics do have a certain charm to them, my nostalgia for them is outweighed by how piss-poor performance was, especially on 10.0 and 10.1. Jaguar (10.2) was a massive improvement, but the pinstripes fucking do your head in after a while. The UI revamp in Panther was sorely needed.

>owning x86 based computer and actually get fucked by NASA

Hi, summer

>toddler OS
>best anything

Hi Pajeet.

>tfw both the Curiosity Rover and the Orion capsule run on G3s because they deal with radiation better than x86.

Ahhh, here we are. You are the persong judging the os by severely outdated memes. Objectively, the toddler os would be a FOSS one like Linux or BSD-based.

ebin

But isn't Windows the OS of choice for Indians? I've never met an Indian compsci major who wasn't a total Winfag.

What the fuck is the design, faggot? "The user clicked on a button, move the window around or whatever. I don't care. Let me sleep. "

Mac OS's window manager is annoying because the designers refuse to implement common sense features. I want my windows either maximized, minimized or a custom size. The end.

And let's not forget that Mac OS hides your DE completely when you maximize a window. Who the fuck asked it to do that? That half inch of extra space my window gains isn't worth being stuck in the application I'm using like it's a prison.

>should've just licensed ZFS
And become Oracles cuck? No thank you sir!

For someone, maximizing a window to full size of monitor is not common sense. If you really need this there are 3rd party tools anyways.

>What the fuck is the design
Fit to content.
>Mac OS's window manager is annoying because
You don't have an issue with the WM itself, you've an issue specifically with applications that use fit to content. I don't use anything that does.
>And let's not forget that Mac OS hides your DE completely when you maximize a window
If you don't know what you're doing.

when i need to make a program big i just snap it to a edge

>maximizing a window to full size of monitor is not common sense.
>If you really need this there are 3rd party tools anyways.

I don't have to reply. Just quoting you is funny. What you just said is objectively retarded.

So what? Sunk cost fallacy, if you really want to give it a shot, do so.

Most of this is really upsetting and makes me want to nuke Microsoft, but I disagree with their points about Metro.

Microsoft tried to overdesign their apps and software with Windows XP and Windows 7 and they just went way up their ass the whole time. There is no good way to make a graphic design for software. It ends up being an eyesore regardless of what it is because you look at it every day all the time "by the way" when using and focusing on your computer's functionalities, not its design. The only good design for graphic applications and environments is simple and void of any distraction or eye candy.