Sup Sup Forums

sup Sup Forums

which lenovo thinkpad can you suggest?

i'm thinking about getting the T440, going for 400EUR here in germoney.

is it a good choice?

It's a good choice if you are willing to buy a 50 series touchpad off of Ali express or some shit and install it yourself. I have never used a worse touchpad than that laptop.

ibm thinkpad t60

t420 or x220(ips)

now take it to /tpg/

is it easy to replace?

i dont like the old design

i get that its classy and reliable, but i just hate it

the keyboard is so nice though
trust me on this, it I am typing with it right now

ill check it out

would you suggest me a T430s or a T440 if i had to choose between those two? T430s is a lot easier to get here in germany

T430s, the trackpoint buttons on the T440 are dogshit.

T520

T400, T420, X220 or X200. All of which are great, if you get the T400 or X200 they can run 100% blobless FLOSS BIOS (Libreboot) at the price of being a bit older. The X220 or T420 can run a blobbed open source BIOS (Coreboot) also all of them come with a wifi card that requires proprietary firmware, that's fine you can just replace the wifi card with an Atheros one. I personally love my T420 and my X200 very promising, don't get the new ones that are trying to look like Apple Macbooks

I have a T540p, no problems with it except the terrible clickpad, other than that I can't really tell anything bad about it, although I haven't used it that much. It's possible to replace the clickpad with a touchpad from T*50 so you can remove the only flaw with it.
Everyone will recommend T420 or earlier versions, but desu, they're really fucking old, not for the design, but for the specs

How much battery life do you get on your t420?
I've read ranges from 1-2 hours to 7-8 hours

Not him but 3-3.5 hours for me with the 6-cell one.

I want to get a 9-cell one but i'm scared that batteries from Aliexpress might explode.

thanks for the reply.

Yes, very easy.

Is it just removing the old one and putting the new one in, no cable extensions or changes, nothing ?

sup,

I bought a X230 which will come tomorrow. I bought it mainly because of the IPS display. My other contender was the T430s but I heard some bad things about the TN display. Is it that bad?

Yes, no additional shit or mods.
You might have some issues with Windows 10 reinstalling the stock t440 touchpad drivers and fucking it up though.
I haven't checked in a while and it might have been fixed.

x260

I guess it will be in my plans to upgrade my shit, need to change the keyboard for a proper layout and language, the touchpad with a non shit one and put in an m.2 mini SSD or just replace the HDD with a normal SSD if the price on 250gb SSD will drop even more

also, my current keyboard isn't backlit, is it worth it, is it obnoxious or not, useful ?

It's worth it for me, I did almost the same shit you describe.
Bought a cheap t440s with good-ish specs, replaced the 1600x900 TN panel with a 1080 IPS one and changed the keyboard and trackpad.

Keep in mind there are 2 different backlit keyboards, one is low quality and glossy and the other is matte and a bit better quality.
I don't remember their code numbers but I'm sure you can manage googling them.
I got the glossy one and the ctrl button got fucked over time.

/tpg/ purists will complain about anything, but I am typing this on the T440s, and it's a perfectly fine computer.

Hopefully you get at least the 1600x900 screen and SSD.

Great choice. Swap in the T450 touchpad if the stock one bothers you. It bothered me.

I personally got a T440p, x260 and a x240. I'd really suggest all three of them.

just get the newest and most highly specced one you can find for your money.

Most diehard autists in Thinkpad threads already killed themselves or decided to stop being so vocal. The consensus in /tgp/ is that the T440 is an good thinkpad if you swap the touchpad for a non-cancer one, and also is on the sweet spot of performance/price/portability,

Then why are you in the market for a thinkpad? Their appeal is that they have still-good hardware, nice keyboards, and cost

Fuck off you virgin autist, he was asking if it was a good laptop not if it's going to make RMS cream himself.