Previous thread: >>55046234

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/DujvzEzU (embed)

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads and running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

ThinkPad wallpaper collection:
imgur.com/a/NlepZ

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.co.uk/itm/180721443654?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
ebay.com/itm/Monoprice-10934-PS-2-Keyboard-Mouse-to-USB-Converter-Adapter-Black-/371206911330?hash=item566da7f562:g:LYgAAOSwstxVeGh4
world.taobao.com/item/520044762973.htm
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Post pictures of thinkpads with stickers

Nice job forgetting the subject

You can still search the catalog for /tpg/ and get this thread so who cares.

Seconding.

Mehh, why do that when I can have filters that do it for me?

>mehh

Yes i know my camera is shit.

Fuck off namefag

OP? Do you not know the difference between name and subject?

Hahaha holy cheesus crisp

Excuse me?

no

Your camera isn't that bad, use manual focus you misguided android user

the term is 'tripfag' and OP isn't one

now shut the fuck up, summerfag.

Not an argument.

manchildren

I didn't see the subject box in 4chanx until after I hit post. My bad.

This is why I never make threads.

tripfag =/= namefag

Ok.

Well now you know, which is half of the battle!
Sup Forumsi Joe!

The name defaults to anonymous. When it doesn't, it's because people chose to use a name.
The trip is the string of characters after the name to ensure private use.
Read the rules.

hello Sup Forums, my t60 developed some black spots on the screen. Where can I get a nice flexview display?

i have a t420, planning to upgrade to i7 quadcore

which cpu is best to prevent housefire?

what do you use your ThinkPad for?

Why did nobody tell me about how great are soft rim trackpoint caps, i mean, I can't go back to default soft dome after this.

Seriously, it's life changing.

Ordered an X220 for around $127 or £89.99.

Has i5, 4GB and 160GB Intel SSD. Was this a good deal?

because it has tiny cum stains on it

Where can I by some of these?

fun

i just want as much power as possible without burning my house

also gaming with egpu

then virtualization and shit

ips screen?

buy an mSATA and then enjoy duoboot

go balls out with the i7 then, but reapply thermal paste and make sure air is flowing. I recall having idle temperatures at around 60 degrees on my old T420 with its i7 and 8GB of RAM.

I've bought from here: ebay.co.uk/itm/180721443654?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

You can probably get them elsewhere on ebay/aliexpress, but those are genuine or at least really high quality knock offs. I've bought couple of others off of ebay and they were so soft they were basically unusable.

chrome support for 32-bit OS has ended. what are my options now with my T60? my work environment is entirely dependent on my ability to sync details on the same browser on three computers

No IPS screen unfortunately. It costs like £50 here in the UK, is it worth it?

Can I use my power charger for my t420 for the dock? Looking at buying a dock but none that I see include a power charger. Are the docks meant to use a different beefier charger?

Has anyone put a ThinkPenguin network card in their machines? Is it worth it?

That's pretty hot tbqh, my i7 X220 idles around 45-50

IIRC chromium still has 32bit support.

install 64 bit OS.

My x220 doesn't have a power cord, but it seems to fit the power adapter for my X230.. Is it safe to use my x230 power cord on it?

I want to eventually get it it's own cord, and there's lots on Ebay but are there any risks associated with the power adapters that are very cheap on Ebay?

indeed, but i didnt clear out the fans or reapply thermal paste :)

are there any options for replacing the 4:3 1400x1050 panel in the T60 with something with more brightness? i don't mind that it's a washed out TN panel, but i do mind that in some conditions it's difficult to see the display even at max brightness

my CPU doesn't support 64-bit OS

is it decently stable, and can i use the same extensions that i do on chrome? i'm extremely wary about this, and i have considered making a permanent move back to firefox again

Its stable as long as you dont load it up with a fuckton of userscripts and shit. The only thing it cant do that chrome can is play netflix because of the DRM shit.

Get a newer CPU and a 64 bit version of the OS

do the T60 motherboards even support CPUs with 64 bit support?

Just bought myself an X250, seems pretty much perfect so far. How is an X220 better?

keyboard layout.

No

>My x220 doesn't have a power cord, but it seems to fit the power adapter for my X230.. Is it safe to use my x230 power cord on it?
Yes, if the power adapter head fits into the socket and it's made by Lenovo, it's safe.

Share your buyer's remorse:

I let a CF-C2 go for 305USD
Complete set with battery, COA and adapter,
A- grade
Only problem was some bubbling on display

I think I fucked up

Bonus: Are there any laptops that Sup Forums buys in bulk to resell?

T60 CPU is socketed, and you can get 64-bit T7*** processor dirt cheap on ebay.

nope

i7 x220 is duo core + hyper

i7 i'm looking for is quad core + hyper

Some do, some don't. If yours came with a 32-bit CPU, chances are it doesn't.

The real solution to your problem is to install Seamonkey.

I love insecure people trying to make themselves feel better about their purchases

I did because I didn't like it

There's a LED backlight mod, I'm not sure if they're easy to find nowadays

that's understandable

do you know if cheap-o ebay thinkpad adapters are save to use?

Post your startup times!
>tfw POST takes longer than the OS to boot

pls answer. Can i use the power adaptor of my laptop (t420 90w adaptor) and use it/connect it to the dock? dock #433715U

Under 10 seconds from power on.

40 seconds if I have RAMDisk enabled (it mounts during boot - 16GB Volume reading from SSD).

I always like a good, soft rim.

You can, they're meant to use the same power adaptor

Pretty neat for a X200.

Yeah

Why no love for the thinkpad yoga? Am uni student again. Enjoyed using the Surface. Thinking about the thinkpad yoga.

Because of build quality

My X220 will manage to get into the upper 70s when doing something as simple as browsing Sup Forums. Is this normal?

Most people don't require the tablet gimmick, and it's expensive as hell because of it.

Maybe in 5 years when it becomes cheap enough to buy as a novelty.

Actually the surface for school - if you're competent - is pretty dope.

absolutely not

post htop

Dab bitch

thanks.
I see a usb 2.0 dock and usb 3.0 docks in my area. Should I pick one over the other? Go with whatever's cheaper? My T420 has a usb 3.0 expresscard already if that matters.

Anyone have any experience with the Lenovo Enhanced Performance keyboard? I'm looking to get an external monitor (any recommendations on that too?) and would like a keyboard to go with it. I reckon I'll look into mechanical keyboards too, but it's not like I'm deadset against membranes or whatever.

Never had one, if it was just the media keys, then i would want one, but the shortcut shit is useless in my opinion..

Just get a RT3200 for the trackpoint meme.

My T61 keyboard randomly stops working for a few minutes and then starts working again from time to time. The trackpoint and fn + function keys still works, but all other keys don't.
I tried it on Windows and Linux, same problem.
Will replacing the keyboard help or is it something else?

Would this with a ps/2 adapter work on muh loonux?
Because it's super sexy and I want one.

Yeah, you have to set up trackpoint scrolling manually though, but thats easy, just 4 lines in .xsessionrc.

Using mine with this cheap monoprice one.
ebay.com/itm/Monoprice-10934-PS-2-Keyboard-Mouse-to-USB-Converter-Adapter-Black-/371206911330?hash=item566da7f562:g:LYgAAOSwstxVeGh4

Should I get the pricier original or a cheap generic replacement keyboard for my T61?

Original, gotta have that steel backplate.

I lost functionality of the left Control, Alt, and Fn keys.
Even using Fn-lock in the BIOS does nothing. It's like they don't exist. Wat do? Been looking for ideas for days, and have tried a lot:
>reload OS
>reset CMOS
>reload drivers 20 times
The last thing I'll try tonight is changing keyboards. Any ideas?

world.taobao.com/item/520044762973.htm
How difficult is it to do this? Also, anyone have experience with taobao? Fuck i'm tempted

>I lost functionality of the left Control, Alt, and Fn keys.
> Even using Fn-lock in the BIOS does nothing. It's like they don't exist. Wat do?

Sounds like damage to the PCB, maybe water damage or a corroded/broken line.

>The last thing I'll try tonight is changing keyboards. Any ideas?
uhhh...change keyboards? Try a usb keyboard

I mean I could swap the laptop keyboard pretty easily. But yeah I'll dig up a USB keyboard.

Try AliExpress, the shopping may cost you a bit but prices are as low as $40-$50. Waiting for my x220 IPS screen to be shipped here to SEA.

anyone know a place in the us to buy the updated 1080p x240 screen

In terms of specs, it isn't. What's better is the price & the keyboard layout.

Buy some x220s & t420s, upgrade them and sell them off.

how often do you guys clean out the fan of your thinkpad?

i bought ~170 x60 tablets last summer at a government auction for about $800. a lot of them were in pretty shitty condition though so i ended up selling most of them for parts

a little more often than i shower

Every few months I remove the keyboard, blast some air in and a little (very little) spray of WD-40).

the keyboard swap did it.
damn, i preferred the general feel of the other better.