What's the most obscure programming language you've ever made something in?

What's the most obscure programming language you've ever made something in?

Pic related, a remnant of a distant past.

Other urls found in this thread:

netbsd.org/gallery/presentations/mbalmer/fosdem2012/kernel_mode_lua.pdf
githut.info
oldblog.antirez.com/post/redis-and-scripting.html
antirez.com/articoli/tclmisunderstood.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LPC_(programming_language),
love2d.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'll take your bait.

Lua's pretty popular since it's easy to embed (which formerly used to be Tcl's place), and it's used in popular games like Garry's Mod, and even in the reverse-engineered server for Final Fantasy 11.

It's also even used in NetBSD's kernel, as weird as that sounds netbsd.org/gallery/presentations/mbalmer/fosdem2012/kernel_mode_lua.pdf

I love the syntax of lua. It's like the best of both worlds of javascript and python.

But to answer the question I haven't used many so maybe batch, that's pretty horrible.

Used that in mine craft computercraft mod

Lua isn't obscure, it's great to embed in other programs because it's fucking fast

Yep lua is cool. I used to make mobile games with a lua based 2d framework.

Fortran 77

This.
It's a fun language, and a fun mod.

It made me "get" programming.

thats lua sir

Yes, CC uses Lua fuck tard.

Prolog

For software devs verilog is also probably pretty obscure.

Html

FORTH :3

verilog is for hardware designers. What software project uses verilog?

Pyth

jess

I once wrote fizzbuzz in C.

The most "obscure" one (which isn't really obscure, just obsolete) was Pascal.

Lua isn't that obscure, it's in the top 30 or so of programming languages in terms of popularity.

Providing source for this post:
githut.info
If you don't count CSS or TeX (they're not programming languages), then Lua is #20 in popularity on github.
And I'd argue it's even more popular in general because it's commonly used for plugins to other software (particularly games, like WoW) so it gets hosted on niche plugin sites for said software.

I got into programing because in roblox if you wanted to make switches and lights and effects n shit you had to use lua

NetBSD devs added it for fast prototyping of kernel components.

Prolog, ADA, Julia, Promela

>tfw been playing this stupid game since i was 12
>still dont know Lua

Haxe

c++

SmallTalk

Pawn

Chef

I surpassed this and went on to Eiffel.

lazy ruby syntax is not a obscure language, it is just shitty

Made a music player in B before, back when i was trying to push it as a meme language.

Scheme, because everyone starts writing their own DSLs immediately.

A few minutes into my HTML generating markup implementation I've already "invented" two new control/binding structures.

I never understood why Lua supplanted Tcl for ease of embedding. Tcl is insanely quicker and easier to embed, mostly because the API is less retarded, but then I suppose the language itself is just weird and frightening for non-programmers.

TI-BASIC
z80 assembly
OpenLaszlo
C++ template metaprogramming
Haskell
Julia

Only used it in Roblox way back. Tried going back but cant get used to the new website

He's not listing the most obscure language, he's listing the obscurest he's used.

Lua is still used for ricing microsoft windows.

SFC

>Most obscure
JanuS. It's pretty obscure, you probably haven't heard of it.

Dragonspeak. A turing tarpit language that runs inside a crappy furry MMO from the 90's. It's meant to do basic stuff like move players around a map to simulate doors, but people have been hacking crap like item positioning and basic countdown timers together to simulate databases and make programs inside the program for years. Frankly, there are better tarpits and better games out there but this was the 90's and I was bored so, yeah.

Was it worse than zztoop?

why do people love lua so much?

Touchdesigner. It's really just python but way cooler. Also no jobs :(

LÖVE is the only reason I use it, it's pretty fucking dope. There are easier languages to embed.

I haven't written in zztoop, but from what I see on wikipedia I would say yes.

Dragonspeak pretty much boils down to a series of numbers in brackets/parenthesis/ect where one stray number or wrong symbol around the numbers means you are hosed. Everything not inside of the brackets/ect is considered a comment except for start and end triggers. The older dragonspeak was the worst as there was so little you could do with it, but even newer versions with more options are a pain in the butt due to the oversimplified style. You pretty much have to work from a text file cutting and pasting the lines to prevent syntax errors. From then you spend forever uploading and testing maps over and over and over to debug. Oh, and all maps are live on server so people sometimes wander in and muck it all up.

Simple and lightweight integration with C

I'm , again I don't understand this argument. I'm not claiming that embedding Lua is difficult, just that embedding Tcl is quicker and easier and has a nicer (read: less unusual) API.

He said it's obscure for them

FORTH. Modula-2. STOS BASIC. GFA BASIC.

I've been fascinated by Forth, but I'm too stupid to write good Forth. I can't wrap my head around it. Well I sort of can, but not quickly enough to be able to actually sit there and write a program as it comes to me, you know? I have to stop every two minutes and mentally / physically draw stack diagrams.

it's like you said, it isn't as clean as lua

Brainfuck.

elixir

because its a shit language compared to lua? it's more verbose and less intuitive with less features

I know, my point is that all the people who say "Lua is oh so easy to embed, it's wonderful and also it cured my cancer" are retards.

I'm not saying people should use Tcl just because it's easier to embed than Lua, and I know Tcl is a garbage language, I'm just saying that Lua isn't as easy to embed as the people who wank it off into their mouths say it is.

Not strictly programming, but VRML. Also my favorite language is quite obscure, it's Nemerle.

Lua's usage has gone up because awesomewm uses lua for confuguration & scripting.

To answer the original question, the most obscure language I used was on an Amiga, back in the day. It is a language called False.

I use Haskell

Pike, until I realized that some parts of the SDL bindings were missing, due to "some other parts of our stdlib fill that role". This is a red flag.

TeX is Turing complete though.

Will é você?

Brainfuck

csh

oldblog.antirez.com/post/redis-and-scripting.html

/thread

>I know Tcl is a garbage language
No way. Tcl is a very decent bastard child of Lisp.

>Tcl

I've tried to use Tcl. I really have. I've written scripts I'd normally write in Ruby or Python in it but I just can't find a reason to use it for general-purpose scripting.

The only use I can find for Tcl is with expect.

That's what they said about Perl, JavaScript, PHP, Python, Ruby, and Clojure before they became popular.

For some reason, being a "bastard child of Lisp" is only good when nobody is using it.

where my rexx bros at?

It's what lisp fags say about every language ever

Tcl is far more closely related to Clojure than either Perl or JavaScript are. Read antirez.com/articoli/tclmisunderstood.html if you haven't.

Wow. If I had to program in such a language I'd start by building a compiler that targets it. Compare this to en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LPC_(programming_language), which was nice enough they forked it into a general-purpose language.

Fuck I dabbled with that about 10 years ago, can't believe it's still going. What do you use it for?

nothing since I stopped using Amigas

VHDL and some scripts in Hush shell (U-Boot). The latter feels really weird when you need to recompile the whole bootloader to gain the possibility of incrementing variables

TorqueScript
Zig

LÖVE
love2d.org/

How come after all these years it's still at 0.x?

At least they're not doing it like Chrome (and Firefox now-a-days).

>lua
>used in like every game ever
>obscure
probably Forth or Idris for me, don't know which one is less popular (probably Idris). i've also written code in some languages that are in very early release stages (l.b. stanza most recently), but nothing big really.

Currently have to write a compiler for university. It compiles a small fantasy language the professor "invented" which can pretty much only read from stdin, write to stdout, calculate stuff with numbers and use identifiers/arrays. And it runs in some interpreter the prof wrote.

For testing purposes I wrote a fibonacci and game of life in it. The latter one helped me find a nasty bug in the compiler, but it was a hell to debug (compiler is C++).

Visual Basic

Oh my god, I remember the Torque Engine. I even bought a giant-ass book dedicated to the entire thing.

Garbage Games is kill, aren't they?

HELL YEAH

>INTERCAL

I implemented add in intercal.

Roblox used to be fun, until they shat all over it around 2012, it suffered the same fate as runescape, but they at least kept the old version alive. I still have my runescape account with a 6 letter username and a 6 letter password.

I tried Piet.

Everything seems so good right now, I feel like I went through purgatory.

I want to try hiding whitespace code in text now.
Could be pretty fun.

Lua is still used in WoW, which brought me to embrace programming in the first place.

Cfengine. I tried to use bundles like functions and see if I could write a recursive bundle, but it didn't work.

Is Lua a good choice for a first language?

REBOL

Still better than malboge.

My own programming language that I never finished with so I scrapped it completely

It was basically Haskell with less features

Well, visual basic is very easy for simple programs, but that's basically all you'll ever want to use it for. It's a great language to start off with, after you start to understand the programming logic, by which I mean programming is pretty much giving orders to the computer, you're better off switching to c#, which is not that much harder, and is better overall. C# also looks better on your CV. The only important difference between vb and c# imo is the syntax, but once you've learnt a programming language, you can basically learn any of them without much trouble.

APL
just some small stuff like fizzbuzz

>Lua
oh god, this takes me back

I like the Lua API, but I'll agree with this.

>Tcl

So what IS bad about Tcl, as a language, anyway?

Is it the weird command/calling notation and 'LOOK UNDER YOUR CHAIRS.... EVERYONE GETS STRINGS!" aspects?

wow just embed Guile at that point