When vehicles become fully automated and every car maker starts offering cheap taxi-like services...

When vehicles become fully automated and every car maker starts offering cheap taxi-like services, how much do you think the amount of cars will be reduced by? 50%? more?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_422
youtube.com/watch?v=6TjNJGWJcwk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I think it depends how cheap the taxi's are cause if its more expensive than taking a bus its worth it to just get a car.

It won't be, they will be electric and charged at solar stations definitely, add that to almost no maintenance (because of no engine and less than half the parts), plus there is going to be a lot of competitors if car makers want to stay in business.

xDDDDDDDD LEMAO

You're underestimating the mechanical components in a car aside from the engine, maintenance will be roughly the same. Engine maintenance, other than fluid changes, is one of the less common factors with cars.

It will be a very long time, but I think the amount of cars on the road at X time will be roughly the same if not more, but personal ownership of cars will be lower.

>maintenance will be roughly the same
No.
Every study that has been conducted prooved that electric and hybrid cars are cheapter to maintain.

>Driving an electric car can save 36% or $10,538 over five years.
Maybe you need to google a little before you say stupid shit.

>It will be a very long time
Nope, 5 years max, Musk already said 2 years for total autonomy in cities.

Oh sorry man, I'll close my workshop, I mustve been working on horses the last 25 years.

>Nope, 5 years max, Musk already said 2 years for total autonomy in cities.
Alrighty, I'll keep an eye out for full autonomy in NYC when I head down next.

>I'll keep an eye out for full autonomy in NYC when I head down next.
What the fuck is that even supposed to mean? only tall buildings define a city? how stupid are you?

>Oh sorry man, I'll close my workshop, I mustve been working on horses the last 25 years.
Stay in denial grease monkey.

there isnt going to be a single city in the world with full automation by 5 years, let alone 2.

Doesn't worry me if they change to all electric mate, I'm qualified to work on every hybrid on the market at the moment and have been making my own electric cars for the past 10 years.

All im saying is youre taking a CEO hyping up his products and visions as fact.
I'm telling you most car maintenance isnt to do with the engine, thats just a fact, changing the powerplant doesnt reduce costs in that respect.

You could remove cost by having a fully automated fleet with no driver input because they would be less likely to knock wheels out of alignment than a driver, however.

i have more if you need more lolz

On the model S there is no engine oil, obviously. The reduction gear does have fluid, which is sealed. Must be changed every 12 years. Battery coolant every 4 years. There is brake and windshield fluid. No power steering fluid.

>there isnt going to be a single city in the world with full automation by 5 years, let alone 2

I think San Diego might prove you wrong. Their public transit is impressive.

Suspension and drivetrain is the most common non-fluid maintenance, fluid maintenance is the best for me though, change some chicks radiator fluid for 250 bucks, don't mind if I do.

I interpreted fully automated incorrectly cause of the topic of the thread being ubiquitous electric vehicles, I assumed you were talking about getting the system from the topic running, but you were talking about fully automated individual cars.

Why won't a fully automated electric bus not be cheaper?

Please rip my double negative retard typing to shreds

Yeah, I mis interpreted him, its possible their are automated cars and public transport, I though he was talking about mass automation.

If they manage to get a fleet of small carrying capacity vehicles running reliably, buses would become largely useless I think, since you would just call a vehicle to collect you rather than waiting at a stop for a train.

The cost effectiveness of public transport comes from carrying lots of people on one trip.

Yeah man, i bet you know more than Elon Musk and every researcher that published a paper easily searchable by google ;) keep it up bud.

How long until you start your own space company? will you be hiring?

If vehicles become fully automated, nonautomated cars will immediately be outlawed.

That wont happen until manually controlled cars are so rare that they practically dont exist.

unless you intend for your government to pay for all those now useless hunks of metal?

I can't wait for the overall reduction in vehicles necessary to satiate the transportation needs of the population. Parking lots are cancer.

Because buses suck, you have a fixed route and you have to share it.
Why people don't like to use buses now?

An automated uber-like service will be cheap enough, fast enough and comfortable enough to replace all current forms of transportation.

I really think it'll take a very drastic turn of events for us to ever see self-driving cars dominating the roads. At least in the US. Traffic fines are the bread and butter of many local and state governments, many of which are either bankrupt, or close to it. Drastically cutting traffic fines, as self-driving cars would do, would be catastrophic to them, and they aren't going to let that happen. Expect to see states and local governments declaring these vehicles unsafe, and banning them.

Yes that is another good thing about this, parking lots will not be necessary as cars will only need to stop to charge.

Have any of these companies considered the increased load they intend to put on the electrical grid?

Most of it operates at near capacity at most times, adding in 100 thousand cars sucking down power 24/7 will be catastrophic for utilities.

So were oil powered cars, but they got fucked anyways.

the grid always operates at near capacity because if it doesn't that's wasted electricity. When demand rises they add more coal to the furnace.
In any case, it is not the responsibility of the car manufacturer to anticipate that, its the power company's. They think about this sort of stuff.

Adding renewable power sources to keep up with the demand will be trivial for the amount of money these companies handle.

Just imagine replacing most of the parking lots with solar/wind powered charging stations.

>2016
>listening to le ebin musk man
This Elon Musk is a businessman who is just hyping his products up, he actually doesn't know shit.

>mfw I live in a third world country and that's not happening in 100 years

Yeah, he definitely didn't do everything he promised bro, xdd

Its going to take longer for third world countries but not by 100 years, no company will want to be the last one in the market, and the chinks will jump over this shit like angry monkeys with rabies.

>he actually doesn't know shit.

Its like 5 rockets already right? can't wait to see them reuse one.

You retard, have you ever heard of Armadillo Aerospace? John Carmack was doing this shit way before SpaceX, so its not really a big deal.

oh yes a defunct company that won enthusiast rocket awards is as impressive as a company that is sending shit to the ISS

AA was never at a point where it could deliver payloads into actual space, let alone consistently land itself afterwards.

Have you seen how people treat their fucking cars?

Fuck that. I'm keeping one for myself.

You seem too stupid to be a troll.

>implying the cars won't drive themselves to the service station as messy drivers will be charged accordingly

That thing would fucking kill you if you ever got into a crash, wouldn't it?

you should know that these things have been keeping themselves upright FOR YEARS

kill yourself

IF

>crash

so 20th century of you user

Self driving kits that can be installed on any car maybe?

the insurance required for manual driving will shoot through the roof

>What is bad weather
You obviously have never lived through the Chicago winters

Gov still gonna have to pay for that. I think it will just be a natural transition over the next 20-30 years as new cars stop being made with the option of manual control.

Like how its not illegal to drive a car without seatbelts if it was made before a certain year, or its not illegal to drive a Co2 machine if it is old.

this is possible too. Theres room for a lawsuit though. Actually its more likely automated insurance will be incredibly cheap, not the other way around.

>implying the car won't adjust accordingly or prevent you from going at all if it is unsafe to proceed

open your mind user

I work with a guy who pays for uber / lyft all the time. He's one seriously weird dude.

I use uber all the time, nearly every day.

why is that weird

I do it too, although I prefer Uber Black

Beats driving and trying to find a parking space in the city

People who need transport often will find owning a car to still be cheaper (for obvious reasons). All in all, it probably simply won't be reduced at all, in fact the amount of cars will increase.

People won't own cars, they'll just be taxi-like services where you request a vehicle from your phone, it comes to your location and takes you where you want to go.

>People who need transport often will find owning a car to still be cheaper (for obvious reasons). All in all, it probably simply won't be reduced at all, in fact the amount of cars will increase.

you're literally retarded

>(for obvious reasons)
Yeah, no. Explain the """"obvious reasons""".

Thats exactly what OP said.

why don't people just buy a car lol

Maybe it's just because of where I live but if you don't have a car here you're either a nigger that lives in an urban area and takes the bus or some trailer park faggot with no job

lol right xd

because cars are a huge money suck and if you can get by without one it might mean you get to retire YEARS before you would have

>2016
>driving

What's it like being poor?

enjoying mummy's basement?

Found the inbred.

Lol, that's not how it works fuckass

>Less demand
>FAR diminished 'need'
>Cars become a 'luxury' good
>Prices for traditional, non-autonomous, "drivers' cars" skyrocket

there's a lot more to driving than following a path on google maps
besides, many people, amerilards especially tend to like to make their cars their own, and probably aren't as open to the idea of paying out the ass by the hour for something as personal as a car that they don't own or have any control over

>can't get to work because the car says it won't let you
>get fired
Good shit.

>implying any employer would open themselves up to this type of liability

how does it feel to be 12?

i live in nyc and walk to work :^)

you just got rused

>People who need transport often will find owning a car to still be cheaper
it's only cheaper because driving is massively subsidized. owning your own car and driving it around is probably the most subsidized thing most americans do. do you really think that the true cost of gas is $2/gallon? if/when subsidies for oil come to an end the only thing left that'll be cost effective is public transportation.

>human-operable electric vehicles don't exist
???

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
EBIN
:DD

UPBOAtED MY FRIEND

i envy that part of your lifestyle

i live in minneapolis and the country bumpkins are holding us back from even getting a fucking light rail built. they would rather sit in traiffic for two hours a day in their F150s than have their "taxpayer dollars" spent on public transit

would you like to try that again, maybe with a coherent thought this time?

Luis?

wut

Even the streets are heavily subsidized, maintenance, highway patrols, on-street parking, off-street parking

Not sure if clinically retarded or just pretending.

We're getting this:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_422

instead of a decent public transportation system

>can't get hired because you have an automated car
Good shit.

>b-but gas prices!
>then just buy an electric car
>SPEAK ENGLISH NEXT TIME FUCKING RETARD WHAT ABOUT STREETS?
????????
even if you're now trying to bend it into other uses for oil in road infrastructure, why the fuck would these subsidies suddenly end then? and why would that have a bearing on anything related to automation, when we would all be taking the brunt of these increased taxes and other costs to maintain infrastructure that all vehicles will use regardless of what is controlling them?

you have to make a coherent argument first before people can refute it properly

I literally have no idea what you are trying to say so I've had to make up an argument that I thought you were making but completely and utterly failed to do

>i live in nyc and walk to work :^)
So you're poor? Like I said.

jesus fuck you're dumb

>can't get hired because age
>can't get hired because woman
>can't get hired because spouse
>can't get hired because race

>things lawyers wet dream about employers doing

I'm pretty sure once driving is made illegal (yes it will happen) people won't really buy cars anymore, think about being able to rent whatever car you need for any situation and it drives to you to pick you up, you'll be able to use every type of car that exists. Google world is going to be nice

what the fuck. i'm sorry user but that is truly awful.

Man, that's a great deathbox you got there

It's OK Timmy, you're a very special kid remember? It doesn't matter that you don't understand anything!

only if people were driving it, completely automated highways will be safer no matter what the safety rating of the car

>human-operable electric vehicles don't exist
>???

>implying this is some type of argument when talking about subsidized automobiles

The very act of buying an electric vehicle is heavily subsidized you moron. It's even less hidden than the backroom deals done for detroit and transnational oil

the post I replied to said absolutely fucking nothing about anything but gas
just stop posting you're so fucking dumb

In ~10years, they probably ban self driven cars at somepoint.
For full automation they just have to make the suspension plug & play for every car and then it's so easy to automate repairs.

>It will be a very long time, but I think the amount of cars on the road at X time will be roughly the same if not more, but personal ownership of cars will be lower.
actually probably 2020-2025,

google is getting very close.

i hope e-hang drones comes after google takes over the car market

>In ~10years, they probably ban self driven cars at somepoint.
yeah, good luck
other than remote areas where shitty 100% cloud cars will be useless, there are more uses for vehicles than driving your hip plebeian ass to starbucks every afternoon

>there isnt going to be a single city in the world with full automation by 5 years, let alone 2.
yes, but the use of AI cars will increase very quickly

i say 2025-2030 we should definitely have 90% automated cars by then

i am hoping for 2020-2025, but we'll see

>In ~10years, they probably ban self driven cars at somepoint.
uhh, no

youtube.com/watch?v=6TjNJGWJcwk

>there are more uses for vehicles than driving your hip plebeian ass to starbucks every afternoon
plenty of non-burger countries have very low car ownership already, as compared to 2-3 cards per household

if the starbucks part is taken care of, no reason not to just own a bike or take trolley to work.

No, it's unlikely that older vehicles will ever be banned. They will inevitably be taken off the road due to rising insurance rates though. Anyone know if insurance companies have already started factoring in collision avoidance features currently in vehicles into your insurance rate?

You're living in a pipedream if you think highways or roads alone will be FULLY automated anytime soon, especially in America

There won't be solar stations. Wireless power/charging over wi-fi range isn't far off. Highways will have a power-fi cloud, solar or wind in origin most likely. You'll pay for it will automatic tolls. "charging" as we know it for phones, computers, cars, will be a thing of the past in less than 10 years.