CODING BOOTCAMPS

Are coding boot camps worth it Sup Forums?
Is it best to try out Python to see how I feel about doing computer programming?

Is it actually an unspoken prerequisite that you have prior knowledge of programming?

they're pretty cringy to anyone who actually codes because they essentially churn out code monkeys who will spend all day writing unit tests for the actual developers and designers. If you wanna get a feel for coding pick up an intro book on programming (one that focuses on the design of programs rather than a language) and work through the examples, googling anything that you don't understand.

Do you have any good introductory books for Python? I've recently been diagnosed with Aspergers, and I've found my hand eye co-ordination is too bad to work in construction (I'll take way too long to do one job).

I also have another question.
Do code monkeys make a decent living?

mit has an intro course in python
sure

>I've recently been diagnosed with Aspergers
ah, finally, it's now on paper. it's official.

Your Excuse™ to do nothing whenever you want. Your Illness™, a real life Get out of Jail Free card, all yours. You lucky duck. Go get 'em, tiger.

I tried to get good for a solid year and a 1/2 in carpentry, but I still can't go as fast as the average person despite me constantly trying as hard as I can. Mexicans laugh at me when they see me working.

It's not an excuse.
I've been this way my entire life.
If you really aren't being sarcastic, I'm headed for a better future. No one can stand in my path.

Fuck you, I have schizophrenia that causes me to hallucinate constantly, and I am putting myself through a masters program in software engineering. It sucks giant donkey dick, especially if I do something stupid in class, but my illness is NEVER an excuse. My classmates, my instructors, my employer, nobody cares... so neither do I. It is what it is. Suck it up and don't expect a god damned pity party.

You don't know how hard it is to have Aspergers.
I'm drained. Both mentally and physically everyday.

Life is just a huge struggle.
I don't think you have any room to talk.
Having ASD is just as bad as any other mental health illness.

Why not just start reading about the programming language you are interested in and start experimenting?

you'll make $50k a year doing boring bullshit, and you'll need to self-teach everything while working and kiss a ton of ass if you want to advance to doing real programming and making real money.

Also, depending on how shit management is where you work, you may end up working 60 hours a week, at which point you would be getting better paid if you went to trade school and became an electrician/plumber/mechanic.

Programming careers aren't worth it unless you can't see yourself doing anything else; when you consider the amount of work/responsibility/stress that programmers have to deal with, even $100k is a shit wage.

Ah the Special Snowflake War of 2016, I love the smell of Autist in the morning.

Why don't you both just admit that there are struggles that come with each diagnosis and that you really can't understand what the other is going through?

Jesus it seems like since you both know the difficulties that come with mental illness that you would try to be supportive of eachother, rather than declaring yourself the biggest genetic loser.

But I guess not.

Do us a favor and go back to tumblr where you belong.

So there aren't any good programming jobs?

I just wrote that to hopefully tick him off.
I couldn't resist.

Don't listen to Sup Forumstards, and don't ever let them discourage you. These are people who just sit in their room all day and contribute to absolutely fuck all besides making other people feel bad while they waste their days online. Do whatever you want to set yourself to, OP.

>Trying to hurt me

Show me the proof, user.
I'm happy with 60-70k a year.

There are, but it takes a good amount of experience and proper education to get wages above $100k+. Not that the $70-80k in an average programming job is bad, but it takes a lot more knowledge and skill to get to that point and especially beyond it compared to a lot of other jobs.

Programmers aren't valued enough in general. It's the same story in a lot of fields in scientific research. Getting a job as an astrophysicist is hard and takes a lot of time, education, and $$$ to get through-not to mention its relative difficulty- and the result is generally sub-$100k, often in the 60s or 70s.

>average programming job

So what does it take to land an average programming job?

God this is so true. I make 96k and the amount of pressure and stress plus zero free time just isnt worth it. Havent had a break or free weekend in months. Youll find software projects are commonly mismanaged and youll pay the consequences of their bad decisions.

It really just depends on your level of skill and college/career background. There are pure developers working for niche financial firms and top-tier Bay Area software companies making 150-300k/year. It's just difficult to get these jobs-- you have to have the right pedigree and skillset, and ideally connections. Also usually at the financial firms the traders/quants make even more, and at the Bay Area software firms the managers and bizdev people make more, but that's just a function of being closer to the money involved.

They also tend to be somewhat less stable and more political than normal dev jobs, fwiw.

Muh mental illness sports teams reeeeeeee

Top 50 university = God status
Shit university = Good status
Bootcamp = Meh status
Community College = Shit status
ITT Tech = Poo in the loo status

Most bootcamp grads who get high paying jobs are also top university grads. They don't ever tell you that though.

You should look at other things besides the hip new startups. I have a nice stable job, sitting at 6 figures, 9-5 Monday through Friday, and no work while at home. It is glorious.

This. Does nobody remember the post on here like a year ago? >50% of HackReactor grads on LinkedIn also had masters. Heck, >90% of them already had a bachelor's degree. Most had degrees in engineering, mathematics, or some form of life sciences.

Mark Lutz's 'Learning Python' & 'Programing Python' are pretty good.

Want a job? College since they require degrees
Want to learn programming? Online resources, not videos

the guys working in financial firms have 60-80 hour work weeks. what's the point of even making that much cash if you'll never have the time to spend it?