I just bought pic related because I needed an SSD quick and this is the only thing that was available

I just bought pic related because I needed an SSD quick and this is the only thing that was available.

Will I regret it?

Other urls found in this thread:

metabox.com.au/store/b158/P650RE-Overview
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No.

I personally would've gone for the 850 PRO since the 1TB sku has 10 years or 300 TB written warranty whereas the 850 EVO 1TB has only 5 years or 150 TBW but under normal loads you shouldn't be anywhere near those numbers even after a few years.

I am aware of that, unfortunately it was an emergency and this is all I could afford on such a short notice (SMART gave me a warning to better start backing up my shit).

I am a regular user, browsing, a lot of media, and very casual gaming, do you really think I will have noticed a difference if I had both SSDs?

You might have seen a slight difference in some cases like boot and program startup since the 850 PRO handles random read/writes better but if you're just moving from a spinning disk in both cases the difference will be pretty dramatic

You won't regret it at all. I work IT and have dealt with the 850 evo/pro and 950. It would be a serious challenge to notice a difference in normal consumer use among the three.

The warranty is just what the manufacturer guarantees. Samsung has written many more TB to 850 evos in tests then what they guarantee you for. If I recall correctly it was somewhere in the 1.3 petabyte realm before they saw issues.

>anything samsung

wait doesn't the 950 pro on nvme blow the fuck out of the sata ssds in terms of both random access and sequential speed?

'SSDs are a meme' is a meme.

You'll be fine.

Samsung is easily one of the best for SATA ssds

It's not even a meme, it's just underage Sup Forums users who can't fit all their games on it or whatever.

4k writes, not reads. And it does for seq. Those speeds won't really matter for most normal consumer use. Key words being normal consumer use.

I just ordered the same one OP currently waiting hours for my steam folder to transfer from my C: to my D: so I can delete it and copy my C: across to the SSD, I very excite.

got a WD Black for the games , it's a valid concern, i was tempted just to buy a 4tb black and call it a day but I need meme magic

> it's just underage Sup Forums users who can't fit all their games on it or whatever
There are like 2TB SSDs now. Sure, they're expensive as fuck, but they exist. That last argument of 'not enough space' is going to rapidly disappear.

Hell, my new laptop has space for two M.2 SSDs, PLUS two 7mm SATA HDD/SSDs or one 9.5mm SATA HDD/SSD. I have a 240GB M.2 and a 2TB HDD already, and I can add more later if need be, let alone the space available in most desktops, even mITXs

>got a WD Black for the games

Over an SSD? Lol?

SSD thread? What brands are good and are there any cheap reliable ssds?

I can't fit my entire steam library on a 1TB SSD so got the HDD for them.. though I am thinking of installing my most commonly played vidya on the SSD

After my OS / personal files there wont be a great deal left on the SSD

No Samsung pretty much runs the market.

whoops

you won't regret it. i hope you're moving from a mechanical drive because you're in for something magical

nope

950 Pro NVMe is quite a bit better than SATA SSDs even in reads, both sequential and random. About a 22% increase in the worst case, which is a bigger upgrade than pretty much any generation by generation component.

Specs from Samsung's website of the 950 PRO SATA vs. NVMe:

SATA:

SEQUENTIAL READ SPEED
Up to 550MB/s
SEQUENTIAL WRITE SPEED
Up to 520 MB/s
RANDOM READ SPEED
Up to 100K IOPS
RANDOM WRITE SPEED
Up to 90K IOPS

NVMe:
SEQUENTIAL READ SPEED
Up to 2,500 MB/sec Sequential Read

hardware & configuration
SEQUENTIAL WRITE SPEED
Up to 1,500 MB/sec Sequential Write

RANDOM READ SPEED
Random Read (4KB, QD32):Up to 300,000 IOPS (Thread 4)

RANDOM WRITE SPEED
Random Write (4KB, QD32):Up to 110,000 IOPS (Thread 4)

And unlike most manufacturer specs, I can actually replicate all those.

However you are 100% correct. As an owner of a 950 Pro NVMe, it's really not noticeably faster. It doesn't even boot windows faster or load games significantly faster. There are other issues that prevent NVMe tech to truly shine.

Yeah, one of my mechanicals took a sudden shit and a day after smart gave me a warning about my main drive.

Can't afford to lose 1.5 TB of data again, so I have to bump up.

What laptop? Sounds pretty phenomenal.

It's good, but it was mad expensive. I don't really mind though, because it'll last me a long time, and it can handle medium to heavy gaming (inb4 muh gaming laptop), as well as handle my normal everyday bullshit.

It's Metabox Prime P650RE. Metabox is an Australian company, but from what I understand, they're Clevo laptops. I've had it for about a week now and fucking love it - it's crushing literally everything I throw at it without issue.

metabox.com.au/store/b158/P650RE-Overview

> Core i7-6700HQ
> GTX 970m 3GB variant
> 16GB DDR4 2133Mhz RAM (part of a $99 deal pack)
> 240GB M.2 SSD (part of the $99 deal pack)
> 2 Years on-site pickup warranty (final part of the $99 deal pack)
> 15.6" 1080p matte screen
> Chose no HDD since I ported my 2TB from my old laptop
> Chose no ODD cause I have a USB one
> Chose no OS because haha literally why
> Can upgrade SATA SSD/HDD, M.2 SSD and RAM in the future, as normal
> $1800-odd before postage and shit

As I said, fairly expensive, but I plan to have this one for a while. My previous laptop was an Asus G550JK, and that was fucking $1700 at the time, with a pretty mid-range GTX 850m.

Now, to prepare to be shat on because hurr laptop that can play games

I think there are experimental ones over 10TB

Really? Brutal. I can only assume they're at the stage of the 'experimental' internet in like Japan and Korea that '''''tech journalists''''' like to tout with the headline "4,000GB/S INTERNET AVAILABLE IN TOKYO!!!!"

I think they are at the stage that they just need to make a better controller for data control

bumping
I'm wanting to know if the $40 120gb ssds r worth it.

Do you have 120GB or less worth of data to put onto it?

I was just going to use it as a boot drive, I have a 1tb wd black already.

People say that and get lazy with it. I just use a 1TB 850 Evo and have a script that runs a weekly backup to my 2TB WD Red and a 24TB NAS for mass storage

Ya I guess so

have the same one in my thinkpad t420s and it's pretty cozy but i haven't noticed the difference besides storage, what is the purpose again??

Ive got the pro and its awesome

On my desktop, I have a 120GB SSD for my Wingdangs installation and commonly access programs - browser, MS Office, and I think perhaps one or two more, and 3TB HDD for my programs and games. I also transferred my Documents, Music, Downloads, whatever, from my standard SSD location to new folders on my HDD, so my SSD actually remains fairly clean. I watch where I install things, so it doesn't get too clogged.

I regret it. I don't even turn my computer off enough to appreciate the 7 second boot time. And that's all the difference you will ever see.

Nope. Just installed mine a few months ago. Works great.

I bought the 840 pro a couple years back and mostly regret it now since sdds have become so much cheaper.

Not a real shocker though.

Nah famalam that's what I use for my OS drive and it's pretty bitchin. No issues to this point 6 months in.