External GPU enclosures

Is this just a fad? Will we ever have gaymen laptops that offer excellent battery life?

Poolaris / Zen APU's are the only chance for low-mid end gaymen on laptops. That said, maybe current gen console performance at best with a battery life of only a few hours.

Truth be told, if you need to be playing gaymes everywhere, you're a faggot anyway.

What exactly do you need a gayming laptop for? In what place would you want to play games and have a mouse out but couldnt have your computer?

it's an even bigger meme than vr

We already do.

I occasionally bring my desktop over to my buddies to play games.

It's a bitch to have to bring over my monitor, keyboard, mouse, wires, desk.

>7 hours on Facebook
>excellent

People still go on about this shit? Last I checked it was limited to pcie 2.0 1x

Looks like a new take on the docling station. Probably a push to turn your computer into a modular trash heap with easy to connect disposable parts.

PC is dead.

A place in which you need to bring a laptop to class and don't feel like having two computers in your dorm.

You must live in one small cuckshed if your dorm doesn't have enough room to let you have two computers.

this is aimed at the rare jackass who goes to lan parties and wants a gaymen laptop with extra e-peen cred. fairly small market hence the one company making a product with zero competition.

>Is this a fad
Docking stations for extra usability have existed for quite some time

>Will we ever have gaymen laptops that offer excellent battery life?
These aren't meant to "gaming laptops" they're meant to add gaming abilities to a laptop. They literally take the gaming out of the laptop.

All in all, though, I think the idea is dumb. Until we get eGPUs that can feed back into the laptop's display, and aren't hodgepodge assemblies, they're sorta useless.
You have to bring your laptop to a desk/spot where this your dock and another monitor are already setup and plug in your laptop. Meaning, you're not really portable since you now need 3 power outlets, a space for a monitor, dock, and laptop. Which is only a slight savings of space over a mini-ITX and monitor, and requires 1 more power outlet than a desktop+monitor. And as well, the desktop'll have more power, more expansion capabilities, and will likely be cheaper benchmark-for-benchmark. With the money you save going the Mini-ITX route, just grab a cheap-o Dell/HP/Lenovo/Chromebook for on the go

New enclosures use standard thunderbolt 3.0, giving PCIe Gen3 x4, which is not bad really

I fly for a living and at any point in most of my work weeks I can be in diffrent parts of the globe. Next week I'll be UAE. I sit in a hotel room and would like to be able to play some Witcher while I wait for my next alert. Granted this would add a whole other box I gotta carry around on top of my laptop case. (Currently have a Y510P 755m SLi that's getting long in the tooth.)

X1 and x16 has NO performance loss whatsoever.

I want an eGPU for my desktop just to keep that thermal monstrosity the fuck away from the rest of my shit.

>propietary gpu drivers
>propietary connection cable
>propietary cable drivers
>propietary games
Gamer industiry is cancer

Consider Dan A4 SFX mini-ITX case with Gechic 2501H portable monitor, + 75% keyboard and mouse. I'm planning this build that fits in a backpack.

Just don't use a case or at least open it. Problem solved.

As far as I can tell I live about 200 feet from the surface of a Wolf-Rayet star, so that doesn't really help me as much as it might help you.

Then get some or, better yet, make some heat tunnels or whatchamacallit that old prebuilts used to have and server cases still do mostly.