/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/. We are always open to users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are four ways to try GNU/Linux, you can:

0) Install a GNU/Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
1) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU/Linux experience".
2) Dual-boot GNU/Linux with Windows/Mac (recommended if you want to learn more about GNU/Linux)
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux

Before asking, please search for answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe WINE can make up for it.

IRC connection details:
Server: chat.freenode.net:6667 (no SSL, 6697 for SSL) - Channel: #flt
If you don't have an IRC client (which you should), go to kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt to use IRC on a web client.

Visit the Friendly GNU/Linux Thread/Website:
fglt.nl/

Resources:
man
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx.me, ixquick, whatever)
wiki.archlinux.org/ (Most of the configurations and troubleshoots will work on various distros, including Debian)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TrackPoint
gist.github.com/noromanba/11261595
ghostbin.com/paste/tfnhk/raw
ghostbin.com/paste/zf6af/raw
box-look.org
gnome-look.org
digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-customize-your-bash-prompt-on-a-linux-vps
dotshare.it/
terminal.sexy/
reddit.com/r/debian/comments/25fr04/does_sid_freeze_along_with_testing/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geek_code
archlinux.org/packages/?sort=&q=torrent
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

When ever i unplug my mouse, all the settings in Xmodmap are no longer honored.
I looked at udev,but i didnt see how i could reset the config/bindings

How do i increase the trackpoint speed? In settings > Mouse nothing a change makes a difference. It only effects the touchpad mouse.

Tried this?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TrackPoint

Yeah i managed to enable middle scroll button by creating a 20-thinkpad.conf file, but im not sure what to edit in that file to increase the speed.

You wouldn't have that problem if you didn't think you were too cool for DEs.

gist.github.com/noromanba/11261595
>friendly thread

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
G d+()?pu s:(-) a? C(+++)$@>$ UBLC(+++)>++++$ P(+)>$ L+>++++$ !E-- W(++)@ !N>++ !o--? K-? w(++) !O !M !V? !PS? PE++ Y? PGP? !t !5 !X !R(-)>+* tv-- b(+) DI !D G(--) e h+ !r !y
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Considering switching from Ubuntu to Debian
How much less user friendly is it?

unsubscribed

Current ubuntu is a barely usable mess, and current debian is about 20 times more user-friendly.

Why does the sound from the music player sound like shit but sound fine with parole? Is it because of plugins? I'm using clementine and gmusicbrowser and the music doesn't sound as good as parole media player.

I'm using Cinnamon actually

If you instal your choice of DE from the installer it can be just as user friendly

I got a headset with a microphone built in. Sound works, but the mic doesn't. I checked the arch wiki and they say

> Microphone detected but does not work (HSP profile unavailable). If the Bluetooth connection cuts, there will be a noticeable delay in audio. Work around by reinitializing the Bluetooth connection.
Should I give up and use another mic or can I fix that somehow ?

You should post what hardware you're using(usb,3,5,bluetooth) and what audio driver you are using.

Im also considering this. Just wondering, what the major differences are and any pros/cons?

If you experience screen tearing in Cinnamon and don't feel like troubleshooting it, just install MATE

When I try to watch internet videos on Midori I get this error. Also some sites tell me to upgrade my browser. What's the problem?

>pro-redhat threads

>shitposting

I FUCKING HATE EVINCE. I JUST LOST HOURS WORTH OF ANNOTATIONS AND BOOKMARKS EVEN THOUGH IT CLAIMS TO HAVE SAVED

drm

LINUX

The only usable pdf readers are atril and okular.

In the past few days I've tried to install ubuntu, debian, fedora and manjaro.
Manjaro was the only one that installed flawlessly with exactly the configs I wanted.
Manjaro and debian were the only ones I could remove systemd from.
Manjaro was the only one I could use upower-pm-utils and have all programs make use of it instead of simply dropping power management support.

Moreover, manjaro's firmware and drivers worked even better than with ubuntu and was correctly installed during the install process, unlike in the case of ubuntu.
Debian also installed the firmware, but required manual loading during install.

Overall, fedora was the worst, followed by ubuntu, then powergap, then debian, then another powergame, then manjaro.

So much for the mainstream distros.

Now enable the unstable repo

>I use GNU/Linux

Never ever. I use AUR + stable for software and only stable for updates. If I one day need a package that is available in unstable but not stable, I'll get that one package from unstable and nothing else. Failing that (e.g. too many conflicts), I'll grab it from AUR.

You dropped your hat.

You forgot to shower

Why did you post a picture of yourself?

This is you without your thick glasses

Hey guys, just wondering which AMD driver I should use on arch and how to install it (yaourt or whatever), planning on using wine, gallium and shit

Always use pacman first, only use yaourt for packages not available in the repos or if you need specific versions or compile-time settings.

But what's the name of it, isn't there like 3 different ones?

>you wear this
>you write these things
>you wear this
>you look like this
>no, you look like that
>no, you look like that

this is /fglt/, not kindergarten

can I change i686 ubuntu into amd64?

No.

What do I do with manually compiled binaries and their build directories before a big dist-upgrade? Can I just leave them alone?

For those guys wantin to rice. Ricing GNU/Linux is made by choosing not only the theme, but what software goes into your computer. "Display Managers" are the login screens. "Window Managers" are what the part drawing the borders, colors, etc. "File Managers" are the thing that handles how you browse your machine.

Window Manager Reviews. To decide the main look and feel.
ghostbin.com/paste/tfnhk/raw

GNU/Linux Software Big List. For options on many more stuff.
ghostbin.com/paste/zf6af/raw

Where to get some themes and icons
box-look.org
gnome-look.org

How to Customize your Bash Prompt
digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-customize-your-bash-prompt-on-a-linux-vps
dotshare.it/
terminal.sexy/

As the Cinnamon DE was created by the same geniuses who brought us Linux Mint, should I steer clear of it -- or is that overkill?

This is in the context of a Fedora 23 install.

ok, so xf86-input-synaptics updated
and now, soft touch isn't enabled, how do I enable it

On second thought I don't care, Cinnamon is really slick. Already settling in.

as long as whatever was built hasn't messed with anything that the dist-upgrade will be upgrading then you should have no problems

depends who maintains the package. if its offered by fedora then i dont see why its a bad thing.

personally i think mint is a bit of a useless distro, but if the de works for you and is packaged well for your distro who cares.

How do you guys make a "message of the day", that thing at login a user (see pic)?

I know is different for root that for a regular user so I wanted to ask the different methods you have.

For the past few years I've had to use Windows on my laptop cause it was my online computer and I gaymed once in a while. Now I got a desktop and am looking for an OS for my laptop. I want something arch based because I have great experiences with pacman in my arch days. I don't feel like setting everything up though and was thinking of using a derivative. Should I use something more stable like Manjaro, or something else like antegros? Basically just looking for a decently non troublesome daily laptop OS that's arch based.

Reminder we have two threads on /t/.

A thread for videos on learning GNU/Linux
And another for ported gaymes

Forgot pic.

man motd

That is even more complicated than puting "cat ascii" in the bash_profile. How will you do it?

Why does my file explorer need an icon for every drive in my system? How the fuck do I stop this?

>unimeme
kek

I like Unity

goddamn rtl fucks me up every time.
no matter how much mango i look at it always throws me

"I know you are but what am I?"

Fuck just talk about Linux, in a friendly way, that's what this fucking thread is here for

could you explain a bit better? can't you just right click the icon an detach it from the bar or you want for the drive to not be shown in nautilus?

>hate spoiling things
>open picture
>instinctively start at the top left
>spoil it and confuse myself as the following text doesn't make sense at the same time

The problem is the second I open up my other drive the icon reappears. Using nautilus and using nautilus to browse my other drive act as two separate applications. Nautilus is ONE application and the icon should reflect this. It's such a tiny thing that pisses me off to no end.

In UEFI startup menu, I have over 50 boot entries, most are to the same drive. How do I get rid of them?

If by UEFI statup menu you mean the grub boot select screen then grub usually just picks up all the kernels in /boot and makes one (or two) entries per. So if that is the case for you just un-install old kernels or whatever.

Is debian unstable a legitimate replacement for a rolling release distro or no? I know the other repos go into code freeze before a new stable release but I'm not sure how sid works

Can someone explain to me like im retarded what FLAGS are with portage in Gentoo

pls respond here's a pic of my desktop with nautilus open

What's the best distro to try to get help for if the things you try out after googling still don't work?

And then I click on my other drive in the same fucking nautilus that I had open and it creates a whole new fucking icon for it. God fucking damn it I HATE IT.

Nah you dont wanna do that. If you want Rolling release install Arch or Gentoo lad

justunitythings.jpg

GOD FUCKING DAMN IT EVERY TIME I TURN ON MY COMPUTER AND LOOK AT THIS STUPID FUCKING SCREEN WITH TWO
TWO
1+1=2
2!!!!!!
FUCKING ICONS FOR MY FILE EXPLORER I JUST WANT TO FUCKING THROW MY COMPUTER OUT THE WINDOW
SERIOUSLY
SERIOUSLY GUYS HOW THE FUCK DO I GET RID OF IT
I WANT TO DIE
SOMEONE KILL ME
FUCKING HELL

install gentoo

holy shit guys. was able to get nextcloud up and running with a snap, in a snap.

shit, might be taking a side already. will check out the other implementations.

Where can I subscribe to your blog

>friendly

makifag? how is the navy??

No thanks I'll just install KDE neon

reddit.com/r/debian/comments/25fr04/does_sid_freeze_along_with_testing/
Yes it is a rolling release and yes feature uploads to unstable are delayed during the freeze at the discretion of the maintainers. Pretty sure experimental is just whatever goes though.

What's a good, simple image viewer that will let me scroll through the images in a directory with the mouse wheel? I'm currently using gThumb, which is okay but it tries to show video and audio files as well, which I don't want.

This should be in the OP.

Ive come to a point in my life where im so completely bored that I am reading the Gentoo handbook and installing Gentoo in a VM just to see if i have the mental capacity to do so (and also to learn a thing or to)

trying to get steam working on arch with amdgpu drivers
I'm getting the 'unable to load driver r600_dri.so' error
I installed lib32-libXtst lib32-libXrandr lib32-libpulse lib32-gdk-pixbuf2 lib32-gtk3 lib32-gtk2

So I have a binary file that was compiled on another system. To make the matters worse they linked it against randomly named libraries. The first obstruction was that it was used a differently named Linux loader, let's call it "a.so", I beat it by copying /lib/ld-linux.so into the directory and running it with ./a.so ./file but it further requires some randomly named libraries. How would I go about figuring out the import lists to figure out what were the original libraries and how do I make ldd work with that custom loader?

How do I disable SystemDildo components? Say I want journald to fuck off so I can use syslog in peace, how do I go about doing that?

This is especially important since this abortion will be absorbing firewall and dns soon.

Okay, instead of using ldd I simply used readelf utility and that worked. However the first question still remains, given exported symbols and dynamic dependencies, is there any way to see which functions are imported from dynamic libraries?

what torrent clients are available through pacman?

What is this? Some PGP key in brainfuck?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geek_code

>through pacman
You mean through the Official Arch Repositories?
qBittorrent
Deluge
rtorrent
transmission
Full list here: archlinux.org/packages/?sort=&q=torrent

>tfw
$ uname -r
GNU/Linux

I meant
$ uname -o

Does anyone here use DM-Crypt LUKS? I use it with LVM to encrypt my rootfs (passphrase protected.) I was just curious because it's something I never learned. If in the future I would like to zero and urandom out my drive how would I go about removing /dev/mapper/encryptedroot? Does gparted have that feature or?

boot from slax:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=4M;sync;sync;sync;dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdX bs=4M;sync;sync;sync;poweroff

Okay. I just wasn't sure if that would work since I have an encrypted volume. Looks like I can do that from any live medium, why do I need Slax?

oh it'll work, any live medium just suggesting. the disk holds all data, so i wouldn't only overwrite the encrypted partitions leaving /boot and the mbr there proving it had encryption on it.

suggestions for a more recent live cd that's super good?

I would switch to Arch, it looks like a promising distro, but why are it's users so shitty? Will switching turn me into a dick also?

Any tips in improving virtualbox performance?
My old single core jumps up to 80%, no matter what distro I'm running. Host is Arch.

I think it's mostly stereotypes.
Any arch users that isn't underage knows that installing it isn't difficult and every person having a minimum of knowledge about linux can install it and use it, so he won't brag about it.

I gotcha. I think my favorite is SystemRescueCD. My SSD wouldn't recognize the Gentoo live medium and so I tried that and realized it's based on Gentoo and also comes with a lot of great tools.