/sqt/ - Stupid Question Thread

Post small or dumb questions here, someone will probably answer you! This thread is for questions that dont deserve their own thread as they would not inspire discussion.

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6RP3AY0111&cm_re=electric_screwdriver-_-9SIA6RP3AY0111-_-Product
pcpartpicker.com/list/VyCVnn
videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/hyhJxY
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Windows_10
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What happened to this shithole? What happened to desktop threads? Been away for a couple of months and came back to this.

>What happened to desktop threads?
i heard they are now a bannable offense, but i didn't notice since i have shit threads and the majority of generals filtered, anyway.
Sup Forums is as good/bad as always

What happens when I put C: in the trash bin?

/sqt/ has been here for awhile m8
Desktop threads belong here

Are you a fucking spaz or someshit newfriend. I don't know who or how long you've been posting on Sup Forums, but you should really think about killing yourself.

I like you.

Stop embarrassing yourself. Desktop threads are now forbidden because they're /r9k/-tier cancer. Fuck off.

How do you post those code boxes on here?

Read the sticky

My computer is always on because I have a server app running, remote desktop onto it, ect. What I currently do is have Windows automatically log on on startup and set a startup program to lock it. The goal being to have the startup programs run in case of a restart and the security of having the computer lock immediately after.

Is there a way to do this on Windows 10? Have startup programs run on restart while still being able to lock the computer?

Some anons made a theory. After all the gamer gate shit, reddit and tumblr made a raid on Sup Forums and it became a shitty place. Even more than what it was first.
Because of that, a lot of them came on Sup Forums to shitpost.

How to install ffmpeg?
and how to convert from .png to webp, also how much better is webp?
also what else can ffmpeg do and is there a gui for it instead of command line?

Accidentally bought a motherboard with connectors in retarded places. What's the resale value on motherboards like?

Pic related. What the fuck are the sata and cpu power connectors doing in the middle of the board?

>What happened to this shithole? What happened to desktop threads?
>comes back and the first thing he looks for is for desktop threads
lmao, nigga kill yourself, those threads did not belong here and so did the dumbasses there, which you are probably one of them just trolling and shit

Any good lightweight Linux distros that play nice with the HP Omen(2014)? Win10 is shit for battery life, but I want to keep it for gaymen, so I need to dual boot something for working on the go. I get about 7 hours battery on Puppy, but the touchscreen is fucked.

my cpu cooler is too big, so i can't use one of the ram slots.

the fan is currently pushing the air through the heatsink and it's blocking the ram slot in question. would it be worth it to mount the fan on the other side of the heatsink so it pulls the air instead of pushing it or would that make the cooling worse?

i'd rather oc my cpu than putting in 4 more gb of ram, i never used more than 10gb, anyway.

Sup Forums and Sup Forums crossposter here, can confirm cancer influx. Some of the shit that ends up on Sup Forums belongs on fucking Sup Forums at best. I come here to talk about the hardware side of things, mostly. I don't think I should be relegated to a gaymen board just because I fell for the gaymen laptop meme(I don't regret it).

Will FreeNAS run on an old Compaq shitbox with three gigs of RAM? The site says it needs eight to work properly.

How lightweight does it need to be?

My shitty setup had a 550 Ti that died last week. It's an i5 2310, 8gb ram 1333. I live in brazil and these three were the best cards I found. Which one to get?

1- Zotac GTX 950 Ti (Model GV-N950OC-2GD) - US$207 (BR$ 719)- cheapest option, would leave me with some money to get Need For Speed, GTA V and some other games I was saving for.
2- Galax GTX 960 (Model 96NPH8DVE8DC) 2GB VRAM - US$ 274 (BR$ 949)- It's the cheapest 960 I found.
3- Gigabyte GTX 960 ( Model GV-N960IXOC-4GD) 4GB VRAM - US$ 301 (BR$ 1.043)- The best I can afford right now, I'm not sure if the extra memory will be useful, but I want to keep the card as long as it's working. This one would leave me with nearly no money at all.

>I have specific connection needs and I didn't check to make sure my mobo fit them
That wasn't very bright. SATA on the middle of the board is pretty much default. Edge is fancy.
And CPU power is always, you know, near the CPU.

Resale? Who knows. It's whatever someone wants to buy it for, and people don't usually look used for ITX builds.

jump from 550ti to 950ti will be amazing
save money, 1/3 of the price is not worth it

alternatively if you PC works, wait for rx480 being released on june 29th
maybe it will be priced sane, or rx470 will slaughter gtx960 class

yes it will work
generally at forums its recommended to have 1 GB of RAM per 1TB of storage
its all about file system thats used ZFS
but you will have no problems I run few nas4free boxes with 2GB c2d
also remember that the idea is that you install the system on an usb key and drives are just pure storage

Looking for battery life more than anything. If it weren't for the touch issues, I'd just use Puppy, but I work much slower without the touch screen. I'm willing to mess around with Arch/Gentoo/etc if needed, but there are so many prebuilt distros out there, I'm hoping a fellow Omen owner or somebody with a similar laptop has stumbled across something good.

am i too stupid to ever make it in programming if i have a 2.62 GPA?

AMD cards are hard to find here, plus I live in Brazil, so new cards will take a while to be available here. So, you would go for the 950? Won't it be outdated too soon? I want to keep the card for as long as it works...

try and see
many stupid people code
its more about the drive and perseverance
you stupid so you wont be exactly coding neural networks for organic chemistry
but theres so much programing in the world in various fields that it doesnt matter

4th gen i5 4690(non k) or 6th gen i5 6400?

Learn Java and HTML5. Very good "babby's first"s. From there, learn C++ and Ruby on Rails, and you'll have an in. Just be prepared to present a portfolio if you don't want to go to school.

It depends on your personality. If haven't, just start programming. Try totally different projects to get a feel for it.

please

i vaguely get java and basically get HTML.
Where do i practice though? I'm such a novice on this stuff

it will be outdated by the upcoming AMD cards... and gtx1060 comes in fall
you dont have much choice, but if you want it to last it would be worth to wait 13 days and see how that rx480 pans out... $200 and $250 MRSP prices for performance of gtx980

but yeah, local markets will probably put a lot of markup on it, but still, maybe rx470 will be awesome as well

What do your AMD cards go for? 7850's and 7870's abound on the used market here. They were rebranded into the 265/270/270X, and then the 7850 was rebranded again into the 370.

4690 hands down
much higher clocks

Tried posting yesterday but it just devolved into two guys arguing about wireless v wired, so I'll try again

I'm currently looking for a wireless extender. The way our house is set up, I'm not getting a solid, consistent signal from my room. Moving the router or running an ethernet cable is out of the question.

So I was wondering if you guys have had any luck with wireless extenders. I've been looking at the different types, and I'm not sure which type would be best as far as the ones which reroute the signal through the powerlines in the house or the regular kind.

The main issue I've seen pop up with the power line ones is if you're in an older house it can cause issues- which shouldn't be an issue considering our house is only 10 years old or so.

Has anyone had any experiences with any of extenders in particular? Thanks senpai

go for power line ones
we tried 2 regular extenders they were all craps

can someone explain this to me ples

The R7 360 is going for US$ 177, the R7 370 is about the same price as the 950, 20 or so dollars more, and the cheapest R9 380 (powercolor) with 4gb of VRAM is US$ 300.

As I said, it'll take a while to get this card here, at least two months, plus the markups...I don't think it's viable..

I have to take out and reinstall over 1000+ hard drives in laptops this summer. Can anybody recommend a good powered screwdriver preferably with magnetic bits?

Thanks m8

Is there any version of Windows 10 that allows the user to completely disable receiving all updates?

what's the best qr scanner for android? preferably one that doesn't need many permissions. i'm currently using google goggles.

I came back to my computer after it automatically entered sleep mode

I hit a key to wake it up, but nothing happened. The monitor received no input apparently and defaulted into standby mode. The keyboard was non-responsive (caps lock light didn't turn on when hitting the caps key).

I did a hard shutdown by holding the power button on the case for a few seconds, and then turned it back on. When it came to, every program I had open at the time was still open. Even the tabs in my browser were fully loaded (unlike, say the way they need to reload after a browser crash that retains the tabs you had open).

Any ideas why this happened?

out of curiosity, is this for work? a hobby? school? or what?

My guess would be it's set to hibernate after a certain time, you caught it as it was shutting down and saving your RAM to disk, and you have a really shitty disk or an extremely fragmented hiberfil.sys file so this took a while. Bringing it back up brought it up from hibernate.

Work. I work at my local school district and this summer is out like "overhaul" summer so we need to reimage everything... and the laptops we take the hard drive out and use a duplicator. I really don't want to have to unscrew over 1000 laptops if I don't have to.

I have a friend stuck in mexico for a while (long story, went down there to work at a resort and the resort closed the week after he got there). Anyways I'm not an iphone guy so told him I'd ask for him
"Hey dude! I want to change my SIM card in my iPhone 6s but it says it is not compatible with "telcel" which is the carrier I want down here... Any advice on how to jailbreak it in order to make it work?"
Jailbreak is the wrong term, he means unlock... Any manual way of doing this or is it only doable through those pay websites?

what all can i do with this? its big

are they at least the laptop models where you just unscrew a couple of screws and slide it out or do you gotta dissasemble the whole thing to get at the drives?

also you want a screwdriver that plugs in sort of like this one, instead of going cordless
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6RP3AY0111&cm_re=electric_screwdriver-_-9SIA6RP3AY0111-_-Product

I want objective, true reasons why Java is a bad programming language.
I used to think the same, but now I think it's fucking good.

Is it really not possible to remove a VAC ban from a Steam account?

lol get fucked cheater

Where do you find and how exactly do you "pirate" software/games on linux, I literally never saw anything for linux in the piratebay and I've pirated since I can remember

You don't install Linux if you plan on using nonfree software.

Yeah they have 2 screws for a back cover, which thankfully slides off, then 4 screws for the drive itself.
Sorry what that's basically what I want only cordless, I forgot to say before, I'm not always near an outlet with these laptops.

What's a good NVIDIA card for 1080p vidya? Preferably not too expensive. Meme70?

Givin the size of your job, this is as it is.
>buyers remorse, i cant read

If you can afford meme70, meme70.

This stuff will be good enough for general office tasks and web browsing, correct?

A new vegan pizzeria has this image on their website. Could it be called aesthetic?

I bought new speakers today which were the Logitech z506 5.1, It was perfect and nice sounding until I decided to update Realtek. After I did that it went to shit and now my speaker is maxed on volume everywhere but the sound is pretty damn low still. I'm running on Windows 10 (64-bit) and I haven't found a single solution, So please help me and thank you.

I tried re-downloading Realtek but I did not help me.

How do people see the number of posts made by an ID on boards with IDs? When I hover over an ID it just says highlight posts by this ID.

I'm looking for a good 4k TV for under 2k, but I have no idea what to look for to check if it is good?

Any recommendations or specs to watch out for?

Yes, but why be encumbered by a desktop if not using a GPU/more than one monitor?

more than good enough for a daily driver, hell pretty much anything c2d or better with four or mor gigs of ram is good to go, unless you're gaming or doing cad or some shit

That CPU doesn't have integrated graphics.

I compiled something from a git repo for the first time today without installing anything. Can I move the build directory to a different path without breaking anything? I couldn't follow all the operations but it should be contained in the build directory, right?

My roommate needs a PC for a business she intends to start, I have some spare parts laying around (the CPU, the RAM, a PSU) so I thought I'd dump some of this stuff off to her and make some cash.

And that starts my next question. What sort of good enough card would you suggest?

fug. my unicode didn't stay unicode. I posted a stylized "aesthetic". Just imagine spaces between the letters.

Looking to get a new cooler for my CPU, so I went to logical increments and it looks like the H5 might be what I want. But I did some research and apparently the H7 is also good? I'm not sure which to get. Both fit my CPU and they both should be fine. The only discernable difference is that the H5 has another cooling pipe or something.

also recommendations for a hard drive would be nice, but not really that important.

I think something like a GeForce 210 would be enough for business shit. Don't make her listen to shitty GPU fans if not needed.

>recommendations for a hard drive
hitachi/hgst deskstar or ultrastar

How much do you think I could sell this laptop for?

The laptop in question is a desktop replacement from a few years ago, pic related

90 dollars

The RX 460 will be a cheap (

Who'd you buy that Clevo from? Branding matter.

I'm not able to get more than 20 or 30 Mbps Internet on my phone (nexus 6). Not even with a speed test. This is with multiple sources up to 500 Mbps. I've seen people posting screenshots of speed tests around 200 to 300 on their phones. Why is this happening?

Help me out here, Sup Forums. Should I go with the XB271HU, or the PG279Q? Was planning to pick up a refurb. Most people seem to recommend the XB271HU given that you seem to have a better shot at winning the panel lottery, but at the same time the gaymur look is offputting and the Acer refurb store is niggardly. Furthermore, the recent reviews of the PG279Q all seem rather positive with regards to BLB and whatnot. Is there anything else that I'm missing?

Overkill, my friend. She's not playing any sort of games.

I have my portfolio website (webdesign) and my daily visits are always around 3 - 5. But the last months there are days I always get around 30 visitors from the UK. See pic related. Not 40 or 20 but always exactly around 30. Is that any sort of error?

That Asus is less overtly gamer, and your interests could change.

Honestly I dont see any branding. Sticker on the bottom says Clevo D900F and on the center of the lid is a sticker that reads 'NOTEBOOK Mobile Technology'

I want to make my first computer build, but I'm not too knowledgeable on graphics cards and mother boards. I made a PC build and I'd like for you guys to check it out for me and tell me where i messed up.

pcpartpicker.com/list/VyCVnn

If you don't need an optical drive, don't get one.
Get 2x4GB instead of 1x8GB.
Why get a microATX board when you're not getting a MicroATX case?
PSU leaves plenty of room for upgrades, so good on that.

That's too much to pay for that video card. Consult this chart:

videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

You'd have something better if you just blindly followed logicalincrements.com

Be sure to click all the links so they get a cut from your purchases, Sup Forumsirgin ;)

Are you buying Windows? Or did it just make you add that?

Is VS good for JavaScript/Node development?

I added it since i knew i would have to get wondows installed, and seeing as how any other windows gets windows 10 for free, i went for the cheaper version since id be getting 10 anyways. Here is the updated with your guys suggestions. And yes I need an optical drive.

pcpartpicker.com/list/hyhJxY

That's still the wrong video card. Just do what logicalincrements.com says. You don't need to pay for Windows.

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Windows_10

Better yet, why not set that money aside for a trip to Europe after you've graduated high school, and spend your time actually doing things instead of feeding an addiction to toys that make you think you are? You'll thank me later, kid. ;)

Nah I'm good, im no traveler, I'm a builder/creator, and i feel like dipping into new territory, and not a kid but thanks for the suggestion

Will cross firing two rx 480s with an fx-6300 create a bottleneck?

I use vscode for it.

Intellij ultimate is p good not sure about vs tho

Its obviously worth more than $90

Hell, if I pulled the CPU out I could get around $300 according to Amazon.

good luck with that

Can you browse the internet with an oculus rift or htc vive? google brings up nothing but i heard that it's possible