Why does Sup Forums hate PHP? Did it touch you when you were young?

Why does Sup Forums hate PHP? Did it touch you when you were young?

Other urls found in this thread:

bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=54547
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

anzu a shit
A SHIT

Because they don't teach it at the unis and Sup Forums simlpy echos what it has read, also Sup Forums is full of uni-babbies with no experience but java and C#

yeah but the intro to computer science course that i took before dropping out beceause it was too hard said java ist he best!!

>literal meme language
>redundant with other languages
>literal bloat scripts
>1000 hoops to get one functional thing

So instead you rely on bloated meme frameworks? i bet you were one of the people that used left-pad lmao.

I rely on my web server for serving HTML5. Much better than some idiotic framework

And how does that web server serve HTML5 exactly?

Because most PHP projects are utter shit.
I don't hate the language per se, what I hate is the fact that when you apply for a "PHP developer" position, there's about 2% chance you'll actually end up in a project with a maintainable codebase; the other 98% are projects that remember when dinosaurs roamed the Earth and PHP was still in version 3.0, half the classes are in namespaces, half are global, half the code is MVC, half is just a bazzilion of files include'ing each other, so on and so forth.

My entire blog is a single index.php with tons of features, how does that make you feel user?

PHP is shit. Almost every functional human hates it.

> if a programming becomes mainstream like C# or Java then it's not a real programming language to me

>Did it touch you when you were young?
yes

Historically PHP has not been the greatest language with its fair share of bugs and nonsensical behaviour.

Modern PHP is actually not terrible from a performance or feature perspective, but the biggest issue it still has is that it enables bad practices.

It's your blog, it's your shit.
My home page is also a single file, what's even more funny, it was written with fucking Windows Notepad, so no syntax colouring nor indent control.
Still, a one-man blog is way different from a site that handles tens of thousands of users everyday, and when the latter has shitty code, it doesn't really reflect good at the company.

Because of pic related

As someone that only started writing PHP recently it's been pretty great, I learnt what people said were best practices like PDO and prepared statements for SQL, never trusting user input. Nothing about PHP has really annoyed me from what I've seen so far. I used to joke before I actually started writing PHP that it was terrible, but I've actually been kind of liking it.

Turkroach

It's slOw

yeah i wanted to make a personal home page in 1995 so i used it

anyone still using it now is just afraid to learn the new stuff

>bloated
>takes .08 milliseconds to load blocking script
whos the meme now shitlord?

who would use java in 2016???

do you people debug demo programs at a computer museum?

90% of all "enterprise" and in-house solutions are Java.

Because Sup Forums is a bunch of edgy neckbeards that think using arch amounts to anything in life.
PHP has issues, but it's still better than using fucking javascript for a backend. In fact even using python is worse in some cases.

This. I'm using php on a new project because it will give me the control to eliminate bloat and creat the custom solutions i need. I don't want to deal with the bullshit and bloat that comes with ruby on rails/nodejs/meme framework of the week. Php is not perfect but to say that these bloated frameworks are better is a joke. If you are a skilled dev you can make a good product with any language.

>90% of enterprises are saddled with shit from the fucking dark ages
gotcha. no reason in 2016.

but why?

is your project a personal home page? do you plan on sending your project back in time to the mid 90s?

how do you quantify "better"?

better in terms of you dont have to learn new techniques?

better in terms of it has a retro vintage style?

> “Yeah it works but you’re leaking memory everywhere. Perhaps we should fix that.” I’ll just restart Apache every 10 requests.

nice philosophy there php tards

Because PHP is a bloated framework with a dependency on a Windows style INI-file configuration. And this garbage:

Sup Forums hates any programming language that earns people money

Serious question here. I've worked with php a bit and made a little personal messenger with it, so I'm not a pro. How do you debug this shit? Are the code 500 errors enough for you? Thx in advance

turn error reporting on
echo stuff out
write logs
that's what i do

what about django user?

Never seen PHP leak any memory.
Sounds like an issue with Apache's bullshit.
Ever heard of FastCGI?

XDebug

>pajeet programming language
>entire API is globals everywhere
>low salary compared to other languages
>retarded codemonkeys can learn to abuse it in a matter of hours

and a quote from rasmus lerdorf himself:
>There are people who actually like programming. I don't understand why they like programming.

it's the language that people who would otherwise be completely uninterested in programming use to get a paycheck. I have never met a good php dev.

badly designed language that encourages bad practices and attracts bad programmers.
it has zero redeeming features, it's only used because it's popular
PHP is literally 100x slower than java
>who would use java in 2016
only some insignificant companies like Google, Amazon, eBay

in any case, Java is not a fair comparison. you should compare PHP to other toy languages like Python, Ruby, Javascript

>Because they don't teach it at the unis
as a uni student, you're wrong

>bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=54547
>Closed as 'not a bug'
Because it's completely untrustworthy. You can't rely on the language to do anything sane.

You wrong nigga I learned php, only one class though.

not using strcmp

Why should I have to do that? Internally it's casting those strings to ints without being asked to. It literally cannot be trusted to not fuck with your program in some subtle way.

Here's another example: empty() returns true for "0", but not for "00", and it's apparently intentional.

It's complete and utter shit, and full of subtle traps for newbies and experienced programmers alike.

>empty() returns true for "0", but not for "00", and it's apparently intentional.
And this make sense.

the problem is that it keeps touching me to this day

How?

I kinda like PHP. I've been working on my website which sort of just show cases what I know, and it hasn't been too bad. I'm using apache + mysql and made a sign up, login, and forum posting like thing so far. Pretty neeeet.

Because it used to be horseshit, nowadays it's only shit if you write shit.

>Why should I have to do that?

Because it's how the language operates, and it is well documented and explained.

I'm not arguing in favor of PHP here, I think it's pretty dumb too, but you use your tools in the manner they are designed. If you want a strict comparison operator, use ===, or strcmp for actual string comparison. If you don't want to conform to PHP's way of thinking, use something other than PHP.

And that's fine, I'm just saying it's something to be aware of. As far as language behaviour goes it's unintuitive and can easily lead to subtle bugs.

enough with the pictures of the mentally ill boys that didnt have a strong father figure.

PHP is not the same as it was in the 90s