/SQT/ ~ Stupid Questions Thread

Post small or dumb questions here, someone will probably answer you! This thread is for questions that dont deserve their own thread as they would not inspire discussion.

Other urls found in this thread:

cablestogo.com/product/43124/300ft-cat6-snagless-solid-shielded-ethernet-network-patch-cable-blue
howtogeek.com/112050/how-to-turn-your-windows-8-laptop-into-a-wireless-access-point/
mypublicwifi.com/publicwifi/en/index.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I have pic related, an MSI laptop, that I'm not using any more. Any tips for selling latops on craigslist/ ebay and such? Should I do anything special to the hard drive? Or a would a simple format / reinstall windows suffice?

Also is gadgetvalue .com any good? They said my laptop is worth $675, I'm assuming that is what a pawn shop or other retailer would charge if they bought it used, so I'm thinking asking $450 isn't unreasonable.

Hey im that stupid retard trying to learn assembler
what exactly is causing this simple ass program to not work the way i intend it to (print "abc" 10 times)

Wireless isn't really cutting it for me anymore, so I'm looking to pick up a high-quality, long-as-fuck LAN cable, somewhere between 200-300ft, but not sure of what to pick up and what to look for in a LAN cable, any suggestions?

I don't have a question just came in to say that my laptop GPU idles at 90C

Audiophools of /sqt/, how do you create an EQ for your gear?
Do you measure perceived loudness to derive an EQ for flat response?

You'll want to zero out the hard drive so you don't have anybody trying to recover your data, DBAN is a good tool for this.

I have no idea about that site, I usually just go to ebay and see what they're selling for.

You'll want cat6 for gigabit over 300 feet of cable.

>high-quality
inb4 muh interference
you need to know the difference between a reliable brand and a snake-oil brand
here, do all of these
>clean dust
>reapply thermal paste
>stop buying craptops with shitty cooling solutions

You may want to reseat the heat sink, or if its still under warranty contact the manufacturer.

it's an old as fuck laptop I'm just running it until the wheels fall off

>reapply thermal paste
laptops don't have thermal paste they have a weird "gum"-like thing that holds the heatsink

Nvm i got it

You'll want cat6 for gigabit over 300 feet of cable.
Noted, thanks
>you need to know the difference between a reliable brand and a snake-oil brand
Alright, any brands I should avoid upon seeing their names?

>laptops don't have thermal paste
Some laptops might use thermal pads but this is not an absolute
You can often replace a thermal pad with paste anyways.

Go to monoprice and get a spool of cat 6
For a length as long as 300 feet you're going to need to make your own cable, so you'll need a crimping kit.

I would like to connect two stereo devices to the rear audio pannel (using the unused 5.1 connectors) and switch between the two with pulseaudio. Is it possible, and if yes how could I do that? I tried googling around but didn't find anything (maybe for lack of proper keyword to search for).

I'm upgrading/reformatting for the first time since the cancer that is Windows 10. I'm going to be installing 7. How can I safely install it and get all the current updates without installing any Windows 10 update stuff, or tracking/telemetry updates?

>asm
>aUTIsm

GWX control panel or never10

Why do ISPs drop multicast packet? Aside from their own for cable, etc.

Just halt it at SP1 and don't click on sketchy shit.

Microsoft is probably going to start including telemetry shit to every update soon, if they haven't already.

What can I do with a dust collecting router? I dont need another access point, and I dont think it can run openwrt

If I have 8GB of RAM why does Firefox get laggy if I exceed 2GB of RAM usage?

Oh, and you'll want a shielded cable
You can actually get cables that length with the connectors, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to learn how to do your own

cablestogo.com/product/43124/300ft-cat6-snagless-solid-shielded-ethernet-network-patch-cable-blue

How do I make images like this which change when you click on them?

Can someone help me choose between buying an Android tv box from Gearbest(~30€) with Android 5.1 and sd card entry or a rbpi 3 (~60) ? My main objective is to install Kodi to get the tv channels of my country for my parents and genesis so that I can watch movies and series. On one hand the Android box is much cheaper but it comes all bloated it's only Android, on the other hand in the rbpi3 I can install any Linux distro and use it as a computer if I need to.
What are your opinions? Thanks

Transparency and moire effect

>shielding a digital signal
shiggy diggy

Enjoy your dropped packets

My build is this, and I´m currently waiting for the RX 480.

My question is, will it run most games at +60fps, would my system bottleneck or something else that I should be aware?

It just depends on the game, some games may not play nice with a dual core.

you retarded bro?

any high speed digital interface is done with shielded lvds pairs

I have a 3TB drive dedicated for storage and some programs. I also have the default shortcut for downloads associated with that drive.

Problem is that my downloads folder will delete itself and leave a file called msdownld.tmp at the root of the drive.I havent noticed a trigger for this sort of behavior, and it seems to ignore any programs using files off this folder.

Any ideas? I'm considering formatting back to win7 (this is Win10 btw)

Any help is appreciated.

Where can I buy an affordable new CRT monitor ?

So I got one folder from my pc which has 555 items and one folder from my phone unmodified that has 553 items. What's a fast way to determine what files are missing from my phone's folder since those are supposedly to be identical.

robocopy dir1 dir2 /MIR /L /NDL
robocopy mirroring both directories but only printing out extra/new files instead of actual copying.

I know winmerge can do directory comparisons, but I guess that's maybe a little overkill?

Compare each folder individually?

>t. monster cable

Does anyone still use windows phone, or is it just me now.

copy files from bigger folder to smaller, skip duplicated. then sort by date modified in folder that was smaller.

Winmerge just tells me that the path is invalid when trying to choose the phone's folder path
cmd doesn't even know what is My Computer/Phone/SDcard path
Well, it's just one folder with 500+ images on it.
Won't that ruin the date modified. Also will try. Thanks guys for your help!

you need to copy it to your computer first unless the application you are using knows MTP.
and 99% chance it doesn't.

how do i connect my 3ds to the internet through a 'ruckus wireless' bullshit router? I already tried a virtual router.

I do that with a virtual one, did it not work for you?

how do I install windows 10?
"Can't install Windows on this disk. The disk is in the GPT partition style.".

make a gpt/uefi bootable image from the installer or set your bios to legacy/bios.

the former is recommended.

Ok I have rEFInd, and a usb with windows 10 installation files, but no matter how many times I "refresh" it doesnt detect windows.

Does DNS effect my internet speed?

the initial request to a domain name you haven't cached yet can be slower.
otherwise no, once you're connected to something you aren't doing any dns lookups anymore.

It affects how long DNS lookups take

So I'm replacing an AM3+ motherboard with an LGA 1150 one:

1. I should be reinstalling windows, correct?

2. When does the reinstallation happen? Is there an option to reinstall windows after I boot up with the new motherboard?

depends on which windows version you have really. if your windows is an OEM version then you can't just replace the MB. Otherwise you shouldn't have issues.
i say shouldn't but you actually might.. so back up well.

Windows users:
Can someone download Nomacs (the image viewer), open an image and try to resize it using the Lancsoz resampling method to see if the program crashes for you? It does for me, but I don't have another computer to test it and the upstream developer cannot reproduce the crash.

its 8 OEM upgraded to 10, do I need to reinstall in this case?

just double checked everything and now i'm getting 'The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation' from the virtual router

which virtual router? Which OS?

Am going to buy a r9 380 :)

Mothball it. May come in handy as a temporary emergency replacement someday.

FOrgot to mention: Windows 7 users.

windows 10
Virtual Router Manager v1.0

try it first it might work actually. but probably not sorry.
you can get a win10 key for $25 on kinguin.net if you need to.

128GB ssd vs 256GB ssd.

All my media is on my server anyway, so idgaf.

I just want to run linux + windows in a virtual box.

Programming + internet and maybe a few movies/series.

try some of the commercial solutions. Virtual router didn't work for me either

there's this
howtogeek.com/112050/how-to-turn-your-windows-8-laptop-into-a-wireless-access-point/

this one works for me even though their site is incredibly shady
mypublicwifi.com/publicwifi/en/index.html

Is there actual Spyware I should delete on Ubuntu derivatives or is that a meme?

price difference is negligible these days honestly. get the 256gb one.

Is there any gnupg template mechanism to encrypt/decrypt specific part of file, not the whole file? So, for given file with "holes" and a file with metadata (values and some key identifiers) I want to be able to fill only sensitive holes.

I.e.
$> cat file
ip = 1.2.3.4
user = me
password = ${password}

$> cat file.gnupgdata
keyId = OlrgLqsE
password = "RIWjueHyqRfVO"

$> err --input-file file --template-data file.gnupgdata --output file.encrypted

$> cat file.encrypted
ip = 1.2.3.4
user = me
password = dz0mEeiW2pc1SFMtyykAUyLGfJ85ipAfDbnIcPoRIaDKKpL1dFmeoxbh33WfHCyCQ52Rlfbi5+iXZiOnsP66X8/0O/DpuBmX2Ont5GUQt5HkPWHVgXW/B+zaRm4+G51EY74d7tMTzovUoSYlfetl5Irx2f7pv/q9tyLiWdHxW9

Is it better to connect your computer directly to the modem using an ethernet cable or to use a wireless connection?

its for a t430s, so it has to be a 7mm drive....

price difference is around 160% if I go from 128 to 256.

Under what circumstances will the difference between a 32MB and a 64MB HDD cache be noticeable?

all consumer 2.5" SSDs are 7mm

there is no fucking spyware goddammit stop believing Sup Forums memes

Oh really?

I thought my old m4 was 9mm.

ok cool.

Are vinyl stickers a good non-permanent solution if I want to put something on the side of my Define R5?

you can use a combination of grep, openssl and sed to find, encrypt and replace the password; respectively

I went to a interview today for a helpdesk IT position for a small company with a IT department consisting of 1 person. I though I did well but for whatever reason, they seemed to be bothered by the fact that I'm currently studying for Mechanical Engineering instead of CS. I gave my reasons why I wanted to do it and I enjoyed both lines of work, but they seemed iffy for whatever reason.

Should I just start replacing Mechanical engineering with computer science/computer engineering and just lie or am I just being paranoid?

thank you!

>Windows 7 Pro
>got UnxUtils
>most programs take their sweet time to load (2 or 3 seconds)

Is there something that can be done or should I just stick to PowerShell and put some of the utils I just can't live without in system folder?

Trying to configure mpd on my server so i can access all my music via ncmcpp on my desktop but cant find info on archwiki. I know to point ncmpcpp at my servers ip address but not sure what to do in mpd.conf on the servers end

ethernet is more stable and sometimes has faster speeds.

restart the virtual router service.
you can't use the virtual router if you are already connecting your pc via wifi. the card can only do one thing at a time, provide the laptop with access to the internet or host a hotspot.

see webm

cygwin is a thing. never had problems launching it before.

this is a great tutorial but I'm way more impressed with your web bum making skillz

post guide

i didn't make the webm, but you can try webmcam or sharex. alternatively use any other screen recorder + webm for retards/bakas (gui) or ffmpeg (cli)

Depends... If modem and PC boh have Gigabit Ethernet and you have a Cat. 6 cable... yeah, use the cable. If wireless is faster due to shit Ethernet card and/or cable, use wireless.

I guess...

Does it really matter what case I get for my soon to be newly built PC? I kinda want to be a faggot and get a LED one.

>I kinda want to be a faggot and get a LED one.
you'll regret it as soon as your an adult

no as long as it's not literal trash and it has enough space

>using double click icon to close window
This nigger knows what's up

I actually wanted to give cygwin a try sometime.
I can't trash my system by being an idiot while setting it up, can I?

I don't see the appeal of LED anything. When I try to go to sleep the blue power button my case annoys me, having it decked out with four brightly lit fans seems absurd.

completely isolated in a separate directory. annoyingly safe

How can I tell if it has enough space? The ones in Excellent category on Logicalincrements are $100 and it seems too pricey and I want an optical drive too I guess.

I'll have you know that I'm above the age of 18.

I want to look at/eat/touch bright things

well in terms of fitting the parts if you're buying a full or mid tower you won't have space trouble but just in case put your configuration on pcpartpicker, it will warn you about space issues or conflicts

I guess the m4 was 9.5 mm
Well almost all these days should be at least, always good to check.

I bought a budget tower and don't use the headphone jack built into the front because it has too much EMI noise.

So I need to test my motherboard but I don't have spare parts. My other components like the video card and power supply are still under warranty, and I don't want to buy another mobo just to confirm my theory that the mobo is done for. What should I do?

Is there any good way to root a Samsung Galaxy S5 on Android 5.1.1 with a kernel build date of Sep 22 2015, or am I shit outta luck? Towelroot does not appear to work

I hope those temps are under load. if not you need to check your thermal paste and your airflow. Those issues would be the bigger problem preventing you from playing

>F

How did you link it to the platter?
Using a hard link, or via the properties panel?

Yes fahrenheit

eq is no longer used.
Its 2016 not 1990
treat your room.
EQing nulls in a room is like trying to fill up a bucket with a hole in it