I fell for the tablet meme

I fell for the tablet meme.

I thought I would use it for browsing, watching movies, reading ebooks... but I still prefer doing that on my desktop and laptop. It's a cheap Windows tablet, so I didn't waste that much money.

What do you use your tablet for?

Nothing because I didn't fall for it

This

Chewy hi8
\thread

Checking my email, watching YouTube, streaming 1 or 2 shows from my server to my tablet. all while laying in bed. Much more comfy than sitting up with a laptop. I have a Samsung Galaxy tab 2. Middle of the road quad core, 1.5gb ram, 16gb internal, 32gb microSD. Only cost me $150.

Windows tablets are garbage unless you get a surface. Touch input is usually trash and laggy. Ifbyoure going tablet, go Android. Unless you're an apple person. Then an iPad mini.

Oh fuck... Am I going to regret this?

I just bought this one hour ago...

BUILD FIREWALL

But I am Spanish follamadres

>fell for tablet meme
>bought xoom2
>uses shitty microUSB port for charging instead of the superior barrel connector
>it's a flimsy piece of shit that breaks easily
>bought replacement PCB
>can't open it without a prying tool that I now need to buy

Fucking JUST

Entontheth, bienvenidoth amigo.

I had the same problem after buying an android tablet. Used it a bunch for the first few days but then the sparkle wore off and it became clear that for most tasks, my laptop could do the same thing 50x better. So I returned the android tablet and bought an iPad instead.

Same shit, right? Nope. It made all the difference in the world. I've had the iPad for a couple months now and I find that 70% of my casual screentime is spent on my iPad. Turns out I didn't use my android tablet because it was mediocre at being a tablet thanks to Android treating tablets as second class citizens and having terrible/nonexistant tablet apps.

I haven't used Windows tablets enough to speak about them but I imagine there's a similar effect going on with it, unless the Windows tablet app ecosystem is thriving (seems unlikely but I really have no clue).

TLDR mediocre tablets collect dust, good tablets get used

Carputer. Music, movies, locally stored navigation, vehicle stats via Bluetooth ODB2. Cars and tablets go so nicely together.

As it happens user, I received a new Nvidia Shield in the mail today. And a stylus. I tested the handwriting recognition with Word, Excel and OneNote, and it works great, as good as or maybe even better than my old Galaxy Note.

I'll be using it as an electronic notepad at work, I also have the ReceiptBank app for managing my finances, Flud to torrent movies to watch on the train, and I'll use it as a radio to listen to in the kitchen when I'm cooking.

I would much rather view something on my 2560x1600 OLED tablet than a shitty 1366x768 TN laptop that I would be able to buy with the same price.

I wonder how long it'll be before economy of scale kicks in and it'll be cheaper for makers of walmart-tier laptops to integrate hidpi IPS/OLED instead of potato x turnip TN displays

Mainly contributing to BOINC. I play some Goat Simulator and Gem Miner here and there. Would actually use it but I mistakenly bought a Windows 10 model instead of Windows 8, so I never boot into Windows and just use Android

If I'm charging my phone or trying to save battery then I'll use my tablet instead. I might use it while I'm taking a shit too

What android tablet did you previously have?

I have a Pixel C.

It's pretty neato.

>Toshiba

You will regret this. It'll last quite long if you take care of it, but don't let anyone else get close to it because no one else will understand all the kinks and peculiarities aka workarounds required not to fuck it up after it's a couple years old.

[spoiler]Y como traductor tengo que quejarme también de que uses el sistema en español. La mayor parte de los traductores de software son unos mataos, y la mitad sudamericanos.[/spoiler]

Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7"

Books
Audiobooks
Comicbooks
The News(streaming or reports)
Netflix
Notes on Evernote
Background Music - Pandora

Lasts me 1.5~ days for music before needing a charge

8gbs storage / 16 gbs sd card
1gb ram

I used it more after not being able to set up my pc for a while, I still havent.

I like it

I wouldn't upgrade to any of the new Galaxy tabs though. I don't like their speakers and I already have had this tablet for about 2 years now.

Kinda want a netbook instead but thats money I wouldn't spend. Like everything I would do there, I just do it on my tablet.

Only thing would be assignments and reports, but I can always do those at the library.

Browsing, computer needs when I've gotta travel to another city for a couple days because I don't need a keyboard anyways, and playing Hearthstone.

A Pixel C actually. I had avoided Android tablets entirely up until that point because third party manufacturers like Samsung never produced a product that appealed to me, and I wasn't in the market for a tablet with the Nexus 10 hit.

The hardware and design of the device is beautiful, the display is awesome, and USB-C is the perfect choice for a mobile device charge/data port. Unfortunately Android is a royal kludge of an OS, and that drags the C way, way down. It most certainly would've been a better device running ChromeOS, and if it's ever hacked to run Sailfish OS or something I'd be willing to consider buying one again. Android just too shit for tablets.

>Old Asus Transformer
Only really use it when travelling cause I don't have an ultra/netbook.

>touchwizz

I actually have a Pixel C and I am curious as to why we have different opinions.

What were you doing on it?

Reading Mongolian cartoons is pretty good. the bigger screen is a lot nicer. Only £40 for a Nexus 7, came 'broken' in a boot loop

I use mine every day when I'm going to bed.

I gave my tablet to my mom who's obsessed with Angry Birds. She'll spend 2+ hours a day on it, so money well spent considering she's getting use out of it. But yeah I never used that shit

Tablet stuff. Web browsing, reading books/manga, etc. Tried Netflix but it didn't seem to want to give me HD video for some reason.

Browsing was lackluster compared to my laptop, especially since there are desktop browsers with engine-level ad blocking, which doesn't exist at all on Android. Both Chrome and Firefox had weird scrolling and would chop sometimes when zooming. Reading (google books) was decent thankfully and manga was ok (perfect viewer) but I hated that perfect viewer was really the only viable option for reading local manga archives (zip, cbz, etc). Every other manga reader I found was geared toward streaming sites which aren't my thing.

And as noted, there are so few quality tablet apps on the Play store. F-Droid improves that marginally, but the result is still disappointing. For many types of apps the best option is a stretched out phone app.

And maybe it's just me but I found the permissions lists on many apps unnerving. Deniable of course, but still.

(cont)
Oh yes, and for a platform that tries so hard to sell itself on freedom, transferring files to android devices is a royal PITA. MTP is horrible and for some idiotic reason Android defaults to file charging mode when plugging into a PC. I had to use wifi server apps to get files over which is silly... just give me plain old USB mass storage for fucks' sake. The MTP requirement IMO is as bad or worse than iOS' iTunes requirement.

All fair enough, guess I am more simple. Hell I barely browse the internet unless I am on NCBI or some shit.

Understandable. I mean the Pixel C is pretty decent even with Android killing its potential but there's a lot of room for displeasure for anybody even moderately demanding. I make a living as a mobile software engineer so that no doubt tints my perception on these things; flaws that most others wouldn't even consider flaws are like nails on a chalkboard to me, and laziness or lack of effort in software is more readily apparent to me.

I have a Nexus 7.
I was using it regularly a couple years ago when I commuted to work by train and had a shitty 4 inch phone. Now I commute by car and have a 5.5 inch phone so it's 100% useless. Sexy device nonetheless.

Its typically the the first thing i use in the morning, good for catching up with webcomics, manga updates, and news.

I also use it when going to friends, just useful to have a device with a little more screen estate than a phone. Good for sharing videos, character sheets & books for D&D, stuff like that.

Nexus 9 incidentally, i do kind of feel i hit it's limits, maybe it's the poor optimisation for the processor. I would like a Pixel C though.

I have an ipad2 for about 6 years.
Got it jail broken, installed movie box and i just watch movies in bed.
Feelsgoodman.jpg

>says tablets are a meme
>bought the shittest tablet out there

yah ok, they're totally worthless

He never said what model he got dumbass

>It's a cheap Windows tablet

fucking reading comprehension

>fucking reading comprehension
Something you apparently lack? Cheap Android tablets are the worst.

Had a android tablet for 3 years, only use it for youtube, internet radio and sometimes shitposting from bed.
Got a new win10 tablet just because it was 49euro, it sucks badly at everything else but is better at playing video then the android.
It runs windows, nothing good could come from this.
I know, i have one.

Windows tablets are best tablets. Well, dual boot ones are, but I rarely use Android, it's just sort of there for if I ever want it.

As a laptop, some modded skyrim and drawfagging. It can be charged by my 16Ah power bank, which brings total battery life to about 25 hours.

Had an iPad and it is best for casual web browsing, everything else is underwhelming.

Android tablets are pure garbage.

So would a Samsung tablet be worth it for late night reading?

watch iptv and remote into the other computers

It's the only one worth for any reading since those have AMOLED screen

The Tab S series anyways, all others doesn't

2searchbars/10

I used to have a 10 inch galaxy tab. It was collecting dust so I flashed a custom kernel and started using it as a third display for my computer. I only need two displays so I basically used it as a picture frame for cool wallpapers for almost 3 months. Finally I got tired of looking at my ghetto monitor and I sold it on ebay. Tablets are worthless, especially those running a mobile OS like Android or iOS.

I use mine to browse Sup Forums and news and read manga. The slate form factor is awesome for such uses.

Install Gentoo on it

wrong, cheap android tablets have apps

KEK

Windows tablets can run desktop applications and are capable of booting into Android if you want shitty smartphone games.

Pretty much only use it for Netflix and BubbleUPNP wile in bed.

I wouldn't buy a tablet without a keyboard dock though.

Tablets over 340g weight are bad. Some of the best choices are:
iPad Mini if you are Apple fag or rich fag.
B&N Nook HD (not HD+) if you are poorfag.
Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 if you are a Samsung fag.
LG G Pad 8.3 GPE (V510) is a reasonable option too.
NVIDIA Shield Tablet K1 is too heavy, but still warrants a mention.

>run desktop applications

Are you implying Windows can't run desktop applications? Or are you implying that you should be limited to shitty smartphone apps?

So much this. I had Android tablets, good Android tablets, and none of them were anywhere near as polished or as usable as my iPad Air 2.

Smartphone apps aren't shitty on a smartphone, you retard. If you're going to have a computer that has a touchscreen instead of a keyboard, yes, you want software that makes appropriate use of that form factor. Otherwise, you've defeated the whole purpose of the form factor, and it's an obstacle at best and a liability at worst.

Reading manga in bed

I came to this thread just to call this guy a moron, now I'm going to minimize it and leave.

Moron.

Touchscreen or not desktop applications are superior. Maybe you have a hard time with your sausage fingers or something but I've no issues using them with a touchscreen.

Sony xperia z3 tablet compact's not a bad choice at the discounts you can get them for today.
Weren't really worth it before.

Super thin, water resistant (dunno, if you want to use it at the pool or in the bath or some shit). Very close to stock android and really good battery.

No more than 8" or so. A good replacement for my shattered nexus 7's.

I'm wondering though, since I'm in need of a new phone, whether or not it wouldn't just be best to just grab a phablet and call it a day (the z3tabc can make calls, but without an ear receiver you have to plug in phones or else let all around you listen to your call).

If you haven't found use for one up till now, you don't need it.

I find a mini tablet type device pretty useful, but I do travel extensively so having the smallest usable pdf reader/movie viewer etc., on hand is nice. (but like I said, phablets kinda make it all redundant)

Holy shit, just kill yourself already and free us from your idiocy.

Rational, well-informed argument you have there, bro.

Trolls don't deserve rationality.

I'm not trolling. The iPad is a great deal better than you basement-dwelling turboneckbeards would ever believe.

I've used iOS before, it's ass on a phone because of how limited it is and I expect a tablet to be more capable than a phone, so iOS would be even worse on an iPad than an iPhone.

I enjoy my 10" tablet. Use it to watch anime in bed and YouTube n'shit while cooking and doing other menial chores.

I also use it for lewd chinese comics and cartoons.

Thanks for posting. You're not wrong about the form factor and features of the Sony, and I wasn't aware of it. Sony is on my 'never buy' list ever since the rootkit debacle though.

Seems like you could get even an iPad mini 4 and a waterproof treatment for the price of the Sony anyway though.

I think phablets seem retarded (pic related).

This.

Can't stand ipads, but that's just because of how I use a tablet.

Hardware is of course impressive, feel in hand etc.

However, the fact that you have to use itunes bullshit just to get files transfer from another computer properly, and then fact that there's no file manager system, means that for my purposes they are useless.

If all I were using a tablet for was watching movies or some crappy social media shit whilst languishing on a couch/toilet/bed, then fine, it's a prime device for such media consumption.

But as a computer the size of a pamphlet that fits in my bag amongst my books and folders and allows me to do the shit I do with ease? Nope.

The ipads that make little sense to me are the cellular variants. They seem like chill at home devices rather than things you'd want to take with you daily.

>Seems like you could get even an iPad mini 4 and a waterproof treatment for the price of the Sony anyway though.
If ios suits your needs. I've found that the x23tabc to fit that niche made by my nexus 7's.

>I think phablets seem retarded (pic related).
By phablet I of course meant something like the nexus 6p or some samsung note's.
But yes, I travel mostly around asia and your pic is not all that uncommon a sight (though it's still stupid). Massive honking phones on the other hand are de rigueur.

It already happened. Oled is now cheaper to make than TN.

No reason to have a tablet if you have a laptop and like it. I have a tablet because for home use my desktop is better and at my job, having a tablet is a way to have info at hand because I work outside of a table.

I also travel a lot so a tablet let me read or watch stuff while on the ride.

Tablet + desktop beats laptop though unless you need to carry a notebook for work for some reason.

I travel for work and have a work laptop. My employer is a nazi about what personal things I use my laptop for and thus I can't use it to watch media while traveling. I use a Google Nexus 10 to watch Showbox ripped movies and to cast them on my hotel TV.

I bought a tablet for 500 bucks 4 years ago, 0 regrets.

>muh file system

Get with the fucking times grandpa. Air Drop, Dropbox, iCloud Drive, direct FTP server etc

Fuck off

Haha it's not 2010 anymore dipshit. We had this same conversation back then and you lost then just like you lost now

Can't lose an argument you never started. Telling you to fuck off isn't an argument, you fucking piece of shit.

How's your iPhone doing? :^)

Im thinking about getting an ipad when i have the money, using it while laying in your bed is just enough for me or watching streams youtube while in the bath

Do it. I honestly barely even need a laptop anymore.

ThinkPad tablet 2 for $120 and a dock (didn't come with power adapter) for $37. I use the same 20v power adapter for my x200 that i use for the ThinkPad tablet 2 dock.

Win 10 is great. Use it as a thin client. Micro USB charging doesn't work, but the dock charges it fast. Great 3piece laptop. In love with the form factor. Atom processor and the m2whatever ssd are shitty, but windows like works itself out and performance has improved from when i first had it.

>589g
in the trash

Yeah, it's not light. Tbh, it's more of a 10inch business laptop than a tablet. I just wanted to flex it ;)

Trackpoint or bust though; the keyboard is another huge plus for the tablet 2.

heh

got the shield tablet and controller and I'm having a blast with it. connect it to my smart tv downstairs and it performs oh so much faster than that shit built-in, plus the built in mic in the controller makes it easy as fuck to search for shit.

Not to mention jailbreak, iFile, scp

I fell for it. Dropped 600$ on a galaxy tab s 10 inch. Worst purchase ive made in the last 5 years. I can't tell you when the last time I used it was.

Holy fuck that glare. How do you even see anything when there's any source of light within 200ft of you? Makes me seriously appreciate the antiglare coating on my glossy stuff.

I use my Tab S daily. Usually in bed to read manga, or a book or watch a show on the home server. I also use it to keep recipes, light browsing, and bike repair manuals. When I'm going to out and expecting to wait for something (doctor's appointment, DMV, etc.) I bring it along. I used to replace undergrad textbooks and access online casebooks in law school as well (old Asus transformer).

Fell for the $20 Fire more than I fell for the tablet meme. Hard to say no to a device that can run CM12 for that price. Mostly used in bed for reading books at night and news in the morning. Also good for flights with no power outlets where my thinkpad would die too quickly.

jailbreaking stopped being relevant when iOS7 came out. also shit is all chinese backdoors now

The fuck are you on about? iOS 7 was shit till I jailbroke it.

you're retarded. jailbreak offered nothing you couldn't already do with stuff off the app store.

Are you fucking kidding? iOS couldn't do anything including stuff on the app store compared to post jailbreak. Fucking moron.

Do you need a subscription for iptv? Any valid .m3u sharing site?

>What do you use your tablet for?

chinese girl cartoons, chinese girl comics, chinese girl games, hot glue threads on /gif/

I'm curious to know: what things is jailbreaking good for, as of iOS 9? I'm not trying to call you out, I'd really like to hear your opinion. I only use tethering and Fortune.