Gentoo

I couldn't find any iso with installer on gentoo's website, it just starts with this thing and says "boot: "

uhh what the fuck, did i get a faulty ISO? why does Sup Forums praise this piece of trash Linux

Other urls found in this thread:

system-rescue-cd.org/Download
twitter.com/AnonBabble

epic trole xd

Gentoo is a troll and a meme

system-rescue-cd.org/Download

Don't use the Gentoo install images.

install gentoo

Kkys xd

>he fell for it

Someone (won't say who) didn't actually read the wiki. If you had, you would know that Gentoo is notoriously difficult to install for newfriends. It is not for the user new to Linux. It is not for the user that's been using Linux for a year or two. You have to compile the kernel manually, for example. It is for people who have been using Linux for many, many years. Those who have an in depth knowledge of what goes into an operating system and how it functions. Robust knowledge of the entire system, from kernel to desktop environment.

In short: you fucked up. Grab a ubuntu or mint ISO, probably more your speed.

We can't all be illiterate nignogs like you, tripfag. Go live sawako somewhere else weeb REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Ooooh a Gentoo thread. You must be part of the Arch Linux community.

>Not Found
>Not Found
>Not Found
Great distro xD

Go home, GUI fag

Not Found

What a load of bullshit. All you need to do is RTFM

On a scale of 1-10 how hard would it be to install Gentoo

(i have installed Arch linux before so im pretty experienced)

If you can read 1/10
else infinity/10

It's not much harder than arch, you just need to be a little more mindful of your hardware and the type of system you want. IMO if arch is a 3 then gentoo is a 5.

lol

Oh we're posting our gentoo screenfetches? Okay

It's simple shit. You could probably do it with your eyes closed. A lot of people fuck up by doing some retarded shit though.

1. UEFI is needed for GPT installs
2. FAT32 is needed for UEFI installs
2. configure the kernel correctly by checking obvious options, reading the documentation (?), and lspci -vnn
3. make sure your mountpoints are right in /etc/fstab, make sure grub.conf is properly configured, make sure you have an initramfs, make sure you have the firmware for your graphics card, and that they are loaded in /etc/conf.d/modules
4. a EFI bootloader is needed (GRUB2, ELILO systemdicks-boot), best solution is rEFInd or stub booting if you don't have multiple OSes

There really is no way to fuck up other than these areas. Some rarities is when people prune packages without knowing what the fuck they're doing, e.g. GCC dependencies like MPFR and GMP.

>(i have installed Arch linux before so im pretty experienced)
If you fully understood exactly what you were doing with each command in Arch and you understand the installation process and why it takes place the way it does, you'll be fine. It's a similar setup to arch, you setup your drives and unpack the base environment, the difference is there's a lot more setup with your package manager due to the choices you get with init systems and general packages compared to arch's systemd base repos. So lots more config files, documentation, reading and things to do. None of it anything complex to understand until you get to kernel compilation, you might need to learn that. Don't use genkernel for kernel build but do use it for initramfs.

>0m uptime

got out of bed to take the screenshot yesterday lol

I'm still working on my Gentoo install. I have it on a secondary SSD. I think I have everything except XORG working. I am dual booting with Arch at the moment.

>Intel Core i5
>GTX 660
are you me?

perhaps, it's been a comfy ride but I think I might have to put the old girl down and grab an rx 480 later this year

asus by any chance?

r8

You guys can install gentoo perfectly and all but have you made your own distro?

Linux from scratch isn't a distro.
It's a book that tells you how to install your own OS from "scratch"

It's only a distro once you package it up and DISTRIBUTE it

To complete an install yes the manual is quite easy to follow. In order to actually make use of the tools that Gentoo offers one must understand *why* they need those tools. Most newfriends won't have any real need for any of that stuff. Hell I doubt most professionals would even need it but it might make their life a little easier.

shitty wallpaper. Bet you wear fedoras.
Otherwise 8/10

If everything goes as planned, I will be posting a gentoo in virtualbox snap in the coming weeks.

It seems that the more I learn about Linux the harder it gets to install Gentoo. First time I had only run Ubuntu for ~2 years and had no idea what I was doing, no problems at all. Did another a few years later, lot more experienced, took forever. Tried again last year and couldn't get nothing to work. Fuck me.

>literally too dumb to follow a walkthrough

if you can't justify that, faggot

He didn't install a DE or GTK, therefore they aren't found. He could install them if he wanted, but he doesn't give a fuck. If you had ever used a distro besides Arch you would understand these simple things.

Better? That one was pretty old

The Gentoo wiki has a list of commands you can literally fucking copy paste to install Gentoo.

>installed arch = experienced
well shitposted

It only seems that way.

Simply buy hardware that is known to be well supported, insert standard iso of fav distro and start working without any hassle at all.

What's so hard about that?

>2016
>Not installing Gentoo with Calculate Linux

Gentoo install isn't bad. Don't just copy and paste commands though. I honestly can't stress that enough for people who are new to UNIX and/or GNU/Linux. ALWAYS make sure you know exactly what is going on if you paste something into the terminal. This way if you make a mistake then you can likely undo it. If you make a habit of being a script kiddie I guarantee it will be one of the worst mistakes of your life. Honestly, I was kind of a script kiddie when I first started with Ubuntu and Debian but you know, people make mistakes and we fix them. That's how we learn.

>1465602448775
You must be a fedora user to be this dumb

I was on mobile. My family took me out for my birthday and I was lurking before I left.

Learn how to terminal faggot
Install gentoo

>My family took me out for my birthday
M A N C H I L D
A
N
C
H
I
L
D

I'm 23 faggot. Big deal.

>he doesn't have a family that likes him

kek

How many goodboy points did you have to gather?

if you have a family that actually likes you and you aren't a piece of shit to and you give back to, you don't need to "earn" anything, retard

This

I feel bad for this pathetic unloved loser tho

Thanks anons

How old are you? Do you seriously live with your parents? Holy shit hahaha

How does that imply that they live with their parents? Even if they do it's not that big of a deal. Shit happens. Do you realize your logic is fucked?

Do you?

No? Do you not see your family on occasions? Probably not because you're a fucking loser.

I live in a fucking different continent, child

Sucks for you.

Yes, we all realize your logic is fucked.

News flash: Once you will have to grow up, and with any luck move out

Its you

do you ever visit your family?

Couple years back, yeah. Why?

M A N C H I L D
A
N
C
H
I
L
D

You could save the mental gymnastics for later

Do you not see the fault in your logic, here?

Maybe you really are the manchild.

i was just asking, its good that you still visit your family. try to do it more.

>It is not for the user that's been using Linux for a year or two
Bullshit. I switched to Gentoo after using Linux for about 1-2 months, simply because my current distro at the time (debian) pissed me off.

Unless you don't know how to communicate properly you can stop trying hereby.

I'll try.

>Only 700 packages
And I thought my setup was minimalistic

Yeah, I disagree with this as well. I usually encourage new friends to try meta distros like Gentoo. It might be intimidating but it's worth the effort. I know some people use Genkernel for an auto kernel compile but I definitely recommend using the menuconfig. Menuconfig makes compiling the kernel sooo much easier. Atleast during a rootshell install you know exactly what is going on, you're not just enabling some options and watching a loading screen.

I have 682 on my gentoo box

>I know some people use Genkernel for an auto kernel compile but I definitely recommend using the menuconfig. Menuconfig makes compiling the kernel sooo much easier
>menuconfig
>not make nconfig
low-time gentoo user detected

>not make xconfig

you've got to be kidding me

GUI babby go away

>not make randconfig
pussies

If I wanted a 50% chance of my system being bootable after an upgrade, I'd just use archlinux

When installing gentoo how do you know which modules to automatically load? Can you just leave it alone?

Modules are always automatically loaded when appropriate hardware is found, that's a linux thing and not a GNU thing. The question should be: how do I figure out what modules to build? And the answer is: manually.

I don't use any modules on my end. I just look at what hardware I have (via lspci -k) and statically compile all of the relevant drivers, as well as everything else I need for booting (initramfs support, root FS support, etc.)

I'm waiting for Midori to finish installing so I can shitpost my screenfetch.
Why must everything take a year to compile?

Blame webkit

>implying you would even have 50% chance of boot

Is nconfig actually better than menuconfig in any way? I've been using menuconfig... :^(

No. It's just less graphical and so some people think it's more 1337

I find it much easier on the eyes and much easier to use

YMMV

RTFM

How are the kernels from the testing branch? I've seen a lot of people use them with few issues but I haven't actually tried one myself.

Well, I use everything from the testing branch because the stable branch is even more fucking outdated than debian. In general, I find using testing is *more* stable than using stable.

They're fine for me.

After waiting 4 hours for Midori to compile, it then fails on the very last part on webkit...
Then I learn Google installs in 10min.
Gentoo takes so much time to manage, any tips for a new user?
> have to compile media-libs/imlib2 with .png support to screenfetch

here is my metal + vmware LFS install. gentoo is for plebs

Now with a bigger screen.
What dm should I install?
What can I do to make this more Gentoo?

>3GB RAM
found your problem

>inside a virtual machine
I bet you're real proud of your uber 1337 setup, fag

Compiling is more CPU heavy no?

>metal + vmware
what part did you not understand? I can boot it from either vmware or directly on metal. Vmware has this nice feature that it lets you use physical disks/partitions.

then why not show a screenshot of you booted into your uber 1337 distro

oh, is it because you're too much of a pretentious fag to actually *use* it?