How can I monetize my idle PC?

I have a pc with dual 8 core xeons that I built for gaming but is idle almost the whole day (and even when gaming cpu is at like 5%)

I'm NOT looking at a vps scenario, just if there's something I can run in the background? (ex slicify before they died)

It won't make you money but you could always do protein folding with folding@home.

Bitcoin mining? I dunno how that shit works.

mine dogecoin

>I have a pc with dual 8 core xeons that I built for gaming
>dual 8 core xeon
>built for gaming

uwotm8?

The whole thing was under $500 minus gfx and ssd

folding@home

Prime95 runs on your computer searching for new, undiscovered prime numbers. If you actually find one, they'll pay you. It's like playing the lottery though.

What is the base clock speed?

lol maybe if it was winter and I had a house full of pc's

Maybe don't run it at 100% all the time...

Any money you make will not even offset the extra power you'll use.

>he didn't build a desktop out of used parts from ebay for literal pennies

doesn't that fucking depend on how much I make?

>spaceheater

If you were mining bitcoins in 2010 maybe. Now I can't think of a single worthwhile thing.

meh power he spends is still a lot less than prce of something similar now

Serve up malware and pray the FBI doesn't trace it back to your machine.

yeah, a literal dime per kilowatthour is nothing

You can sell it.

I'd like something recurring, also an excuse to buy more hardware lol

I get free electricity in my apt...

Start to abuse that and see how long that lasts.

even the most insane server is max 300 watts. Don't see a landlord getting pissy over $30 more a month

get a real job instead

This is the answer. Dogecoin does convert to bitcoin and you can buy shit with that. As far as I know dogecoins can still be mined with CPUs (bitcoins have been dominated by GPUs for years).

License your PC out as a video encoding machine on craigslist. Offer a rate $5 an hour or something like that.

>I have a pc with dual 8 core xeons that I built for gaming

user, buying a T5600 off of ebay is hardly "building" your PC. I suppose adding the hard drives, GPU, etc counts.

300watts extra a month, for 24/7, would be $75.

NYC, woo

Ayy nyc bro! manhattan?

>bitcoins have been dominated by GPUs for years
Bitcoin have been dominated by ASICs for years, i doubt anyone still mines with GPUs.

Offer it up as a render machine?

ay, union square area.

Dogecoin was never profitable on CPUs, and became unprofitable on GPUs in early 2014 when ASICs arrived. Bitcoin hasn't been profitable on GPUs since ~2011.

Gomez peer zone. Make around £40 a month

Does anybody know if mining Eutherium is profitable? Sorry if I fucked up the name.

only with a gpu
and no, only a couple of bucks a day while keeping a mid/high-end gpu busy all day

How much could I mine with a GTX 970? And how does it work. Could you please tell me a bit more? Dont know much on this topic.

nvidia is shit for mining
just google ethereum mining hashrates hardware and calculators

At the moment it will cost more in hardware and electricity then youll earn.

Thanks. Any profitable ones? Also how do you spend the currency?

many stores take ethereum. tech-savvy ones usually, anyway. newegg does, for example. also steam

or you can just convert it into cash pretty easily, especially with bitsquare now

*ethereum. sorry, i meant bitcoin. i wash just rading up on how someone hacked the DAO and they're draining ethereum. eth price just dipped in the last 10 minutes. just stay away from eth for a while

I was looking for a currency that might give some profit, and I could use for something.
SO do I stay away from all in general?

Another important question, is this bad for your gardware?

i mined 24/7 for two years with a 7950 that im still using today, but that was a vapor-x that i always kept clean and with a good power supply. your mileage may vary.

do not stay away from crypto in general, though. it's good to always have a stash of bitcoin

How many BTC have you mined?