>I just enrolled in software engineering
>I was told I could get billions of dollars
>I'm afraid is a lie
>no clue what cool shit besides games can SE make

Other urls found in this thread:

eisc.correounivalle.edu.co/home/ingenieriasistemasEISC
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I don't get the impression that you're ready for the world yet.

What's your course sequence look like?

It's not a bad college, it's like 5rd place in my country.

I just want to see what cool shit can I code that isn't fucking games.

>It's not a bad college
Go to bed kid.

>5rd
Fird?

english isn't my first language.

It's still the best regional college around where I live.

>inb4 your taco college is garbage

But what classes are you actually *taking* in the next few years?

eisc.correounivalle.edu.co/home/ingenieriasistemasEISC

Your torta college is garbage

why is feels man doing that to pepe :(

you know I can still watch those MIT courses on youtube, right?

I'm not sure if your full of shit or your full of shit.

Oh yeah that YouTube certificate. Employers love that

you know that you can land a job even if you're from a shit tier college as long as you put attention in class, study on your own and land some interships, right?

I also told you it's the best college in my city.

FIME? but yes go to bed

Holy shit you're fucking retarded. How so you even function? How did you even get on that course user?

Literally thousands of lines of code contributed to you posting here. Tens of thousands. And you ask what else besides gayumz you can code?

Fuck, dude..

You need experience above all. Enjoy your computer repair shop career.

I don't even know what software engineering is. All I know is that it's not engineering.

I can't read exactly what it says, but it looks like a generic CS course to me. It also looks severely underloaded.

You dun goofed son. Bet you wish you were born somewhere that actually cares about tech. If this is the 5 th best college in your country then you might as well stop pooing in the loo and move to India

Hey, I was in the same situation around four years ago. Let me tell you, there are a lot of opportunities out there for programmers right now. Countries have a crapload of "programmatic" plumbing to do when businesses adapt into the truly digital era. Let's take something as simple as ordering food from the internet: Someone has to build their web application's front end (loads of client-side JS), an application server is required (databases, cloud orchestration, mail systems), mobile application (iOS, Android). That's just what the restaurant required. Then there are the electric payment system providers (PCI-DSS audited codebases that take a long time to build), banks that handle the actual money transfers (they need programmers too), programming hardware like network switches so the bits move from one place to another, cloud provider offering virtual servers, the giants who develop the mobile platforms and browsers.

There is just so much work available right now. You could start with something easy like React/Redux on the client side and writing APIs with NodeJS + PostgreSQL. Or maybe take a monolithic framework like Rails or Django. If hardware is more to your liking, big companies seem to recruit idiots who can't even understand pointers properly to write firmware for their devices. Buggy shit is actually even more profitable than well written firmware when it comes to some areas of routers and stuff.

I'm also coming from a 3rd world country but I get quite a lot of job offers from all around the world, even though I have been programming only for a couple of years.

>I was told I could get billions of dollars

That's true.But you can also get an unhappy person without a job if you just force yourself to do it without develloping any passion.

>I'm afraid is a lie

No, it's not.
But a degree is a Tool. Programming languages are tools. They don't work for you, but they enable you to do stuff.

>no clue what cool shit besides games can SE make

There are hundreds of programming langauges and a lot of fields..

If you learn Assembly and machine related stuff you can:
Work with boards like the Raspberry Pi or Arduino and make electronical devices (alarm clocks), you can devellop robots, you can work in the car industry. A modern car has about 60 microchips or more.

For machine related stuff you will also need the C programming language. For example in medical devices.

For game development C++ is the most common langauge, because it has many libraries about graphical stuff.

For the industry Java is the most common language. You will hear a lot of shitting on Sup Forums about java, but matter of fact it's the number one language of industry, i.e. software for big companies. Especially with Java Enterprise Edition you will always get a job if you are good enough.

Speaking of JavaEE, you might also think about doing Web realted stuff. Here you can use Java, but otehr langauges are better for simple web development (Java can be pretty verbose sometimes): For example PHP, Ruby Node.JS. For web developing, you will also have to learn JavaScript (ans some JavaScript frameworks) because it basically runs the web.

Maybe you want to analyze data? If scientific computing and statistics are for you, learn Python or R.

If this is too low level for you, you might get into logic programming. Functional languages like Haskell or Scala are interesting, but there are also pure logics langauges like PROLOG.

If you want to work at banks, COBOL might be for you.

For penetration testing, Python and C are good choices.

..aand much more.