In the market for a new GPU. Currently looking at the GTX 1070, thoughts?

In the market for a new GPU. Currently looking at the GTX 1070, thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

destructoid.com/review-virtual-desktop-vr-353028.phtml
wccftech.com/amd-rx-480-1500mhz-overclocking-tool-voltage-control/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's better value than the rx480, I say go for it.

Wait for amd to release their shit, 1070 price will drop

>~20% more powerful for nearly twice the cost
>better value

twice the cost? the only $200 price tag is only for the 4GB model which is not a 20% difference

^its almost to good to be true
waiting...

I only seriously consider buying the Ti product line.

I think it's in a weird spot in that it can barely do 1440p and is overkill for 1080. The RX480 supposedly does 1080p well and is half the price. If I had the money and a 4k monitor I'd just skip this and get a 1080.

>4k monitor
Why not wait for 4K VR instead?
destructoid.com/review-virtual-desktop-vr-353028.phtml

The only real difference between the two models is more VRAM. And the 8GB version is only like $30 more expensive and even that is a way better value than the 1070.

What makes the 1080 an extra 200 dollars better? I mean I see some general improvements but not enough to warrant the cost

>implying the 480 will ever sell for msrp

It can do 4k and the 1070 can't. It can also do 1440p 144 mhz if you're into that sort of thing, 1070 can't. Seems it can do a lot more than the 1070, which eeks by at 1440 and like I said, is overkill if you're getting it for 1080. Well unless of course you want it for 1080 144hz. Even then seeing benchmarks it can't consistently get 144fps and just eeks by 1080p on games like Witcher 3.

Additional Question: does anyone know when the GTX 1000 series will become readily available again?

>thoughts?

Too many variables for us to decide for your you with only two sentences.

t. nvidiacuck

When people stop buying them.

Neither are the two new nvidia cards at the moment. At least where I live.

>implying the 1070 does

>20% more powerful
top kek, are you saying a 980ti is only 20% more powerful than a 390?
>nearly twice the cost
8GB models of the 480 are 299 euro
the 1070 is 450-500 euro

My bad didn't want to post a narrative.

Getting new graphics card, want it soon, dont want to spend more than $450 ( which really puts the 1070 as the best value atm). The real question is: should I wait for the rx480 and go with that, or wait for the 1070 to return to normal prices? (My whole build is intel btw)

Couldn't wait 3 weeks for AMD 400 series benchmarks, eh?

You could buy a 1070 from amazon, and return it before the end of 30 days if the RX 480 is as good as people are making out.

Why would I wait for benchmarks of a mid range card which is going to be undoubtedly worse when I'm in the market for top of the range?

Why do idiots keep meming about the 480?

It is a budget card with budget performance, it obviously is not an alternative for people looking for performance levels at the 1070/1080 mark

The benchmarks that have come out are putting the 480 at around R9 Nano level. I also don't see any 1070s for any cheaper than $400.

>The benchmarks that have come out are putting the 480 at around R9 Nano level
No they don't, can you shills stop fucking lying.

This is the official leak

Price will go down

Nope. Neither will. Therefore, stop comparing prices until the 480 is out.

The people shilling for the 480 are the same people who were shilling for the GTX 970 and the FX processors.

It's the best they can afford so they resort to bang for buck arguments which doesn't really matter when you have enough disposable income to be able to overpay for slightly more performance.

480 is not a paper launch. AMD has warehouses full of the 480

Grt whatever 1070 you think looks best and has dual 8 pins.
Im waiting for the EVGA ftw model, unless galax prices their card pretty well, or the matrix isn't ass ugly like the gigabyte, zotac, msi and strix cards.

Dual 480s are projected to match the 1080, for over 1/3 less cost. Sure its not as future proof, but you should be able to run 4k games with the setup.

>crossfire
Have fun with that

The way it's meant to be played

I'll have fun with the £250 I'll save.

And your increased latency, loads of games not supporting it, increased power consumption, microstutter, heat problems in your case etc.

But go right ahead

I just wish jewvidia would stop holding the custom cards hostage and fucking maybe ship some more than a fucking backpack worth of supplies out of the US.

I'm so butthurt desu.

No, they fucking won't. In what world do you think 2 low power cards that are running on 6 year old memory architecture will compete with the 1080? You are delusional. At best they will be a little bit below the 1070 due to drivers.

>Being a waitfag
Maybe I should have waited for the GTX 1180 to come out, then the prices would have gone down further.

The 1080 and the RX 480 represent entirely different areas of the market. Do you really think nvidia were suddenly going to say "OH HEY I HATE PROFIT" just because AMD released a budget card?

They'll just lock off half the cores and release the 1060 to compete with the 480.

This is what happens when you have a chokehold on the GPU industry due to your competition being much weaker and slower.

>AMD has warehouses full of the 480
If this is true then AMD will really go broke. People who build their own PCs are simply not interested in cheap and slow shit like the 480 and prebuilt PCs will always use Nvidia.

1070 is fast, but expensive. 95% of users would be better served by a lesser card because it's overkill for their monitor.

If you're running high refresh rates or 1440p+ resolutions and have money to burn on an item that depreciates quickly get one.

>FE

Good goy.

Don't belive his lies

>"official" leak

If you say so. Pic related has it near R9 Nano, which is consistent with that chiphell leak earlier.

wccftech.com/amd-rx-480-1500mhz-overclocking-tool-voltage-control/
>So to put it all into perspective, an overclocked RX 480 will actually perform within striking distance of AMD’s current R9 Fury X flagship

This isn't true. I'm a poorfag who can't hold a job but have saved some cash for a new rig. A 480 partner card with a Zen CPU is exactly what I'm going to be building with. I have no intention of upgrading my 1080p 5ms monitor, and there is a huge backlog of games that I haven't tried.

Who cares, we still don't know how much it'll sell for.

Well than what would you suggest?

Man Pajeet really did a number on you guys with that ONE slide, which contained no real benchmarks.

Crossfire/SLI is not a legitimate option in 2016. DX12 with asynchronous compute is not readily available. One card will always do better in real world applications.

>>

>DX12 with asynchronous compute is not readily available.

Not on Nvidia anyway :^)

>Dual 480s are projected to match the 1080, for over 1/3 less cost. Sure its not as future proof, but you should be able to run 4k games with the setup.

HAHAHAHAHAH

Other than AOS find another game that supports it. I'm waiting.

>wccftech

doom

I've been waiting since the 2nd of this month with 4 pre orders for various AIB cards. I'm sick of waiting.

Every single card seems to end up at newegg. It's downright impossible to get your hands on anything that's not FE in the UK.

And the 1080 still smashes every other card in that game.

and yet 2 480s will still be cheaper and will still beat it just like in aos

gg nvidiot

Cheaper yes, beat it no

Depends on what you need to do and how much you're willing to pay for each little bit of improvement. The people I lan party with use 570s, 770s, 7870s, 7970/280x, and 970s all work perfectly fine for modern games at 1080p 60fps. The guy with sli 560s just upgraded to a second hand 280x.

The best buy I've seen personally was the guy who picked up a gtx 770 for $50 when the 970 came out and some kiddie who had to have the latest thing dropped it off at the local computer recycling place.

Even though I know you're 13 so you probably couldn't afford it, I genuinely cannot wait for the day that you get those 2 RX 480's and cry at the fact that they were a) not as cheap as you're making out and b) still won't perform as well as my 1080.

I'm running a 560 right now and I'm just getting to that point where I cant run the games I want to anymore (dark souls 3 was painful). So I want to upgrade, but not have to update my gpu every 3 years to keep up. Thats why I'm looking at the latest set. It seems like a good value, even though I have shitty monietors and all that, I just want to be able to run games

If anything, I'd go for the 1070. What a lot of people tend to do is look at performance now and assume that will always be the case.

In the years to come the card that's currently overkill for 1080p, will only be able to comfortably run at 1080p.

The GTX 1070 is a solid bet, however, if you can hold out, check out AMD's RX 480 on the off chance it's as good as they're making out.

Unless you're planning on picking up a FE you wouldn't be able to get a 1070 at the moment anyway.

That's the day I'll buy 2 more 480s, and finally get close to spending what you shelled out for your 1080, GeFag.

that sounds like the best bet. I just want a solid card that I can rely on for the next few years, and I'm defiantly not paying for a ~$100 up charge. My guess is I'll get a 1070 at MSRP around the same time the 480 comes out, in which case I can be confident I'm making the right decision

This.

I still have no fucking idea why people want dual gpu setups. It's a fucking nightmare to deal with.

HD5770 crossfire here.

Never again. I'm going for a single 1070 instead because AMD has nothing that can compete yet.

future proofing is a meme. High end GPUs depreciate much more quickly in value. Just think about anyone who bought a 290x or 780ti with the intent of futureproofing. That was less than 3 years ago and you can now buy a faster GPU for $200.

The cost effective choice is to find the price/performance sweetspot and upgrade every 3 years.

Or just set a budget and max your specs out within your budget.

Was there a point to the Fury X? The nano does have some benefits but I still don't understand why AMD even released the Fury line.

You cant argue with the fact that the ratio of increase in power to increase in price is better with the 1000 series than it has been in a long time

I still have a 290x crossfire and out of every ten games I play maybe 1 or 2 actually work with crossfire. The rest of the games I have to dick around with the settings and change ini files and if I'm lucky I might be able to play the game without any major graphical fuck ups. I'm done with 2x card setups.

30-40% more performance for the same price is normal for a new GPU generation.

wait for price drops, i don't think you should pay more than $370 for the 1070.

how is it a better value when the 480 is 80% faster after oc?

I only play gta v and bf4. Scales great in bf4, doesn't work at all for steam games, and stutters like a bitch for gta v.

Nice joke Pajeet

Jokes on you

81% of the market buy cheap slow shit because its affordable and they never play Dota2 at high resolutions.

According to AMD.

This thread probably said this already, followed by 70 posts of fanboy shitflinging but:

1070 is a great card, but you'll want to wait until the RX480 is out to see what it's like if you can.

It was supposed to be a top dog card but Nvidia released the 980 Ti right before them and completely fucked them up.

Source: One single chart from a "benchmark" of a game heavily optimized towards AMD hardware.

Have fun using your xfire in anything other than 3DMark and in 20% of all released games.

I can buy two 480 for the price of a 1080 and still have enough money left to fuck your sister and your mom

Considering the price the 480 better undercut the 1070 significantly and compete well on performance for me to consider it. I hope it can OC to close to 1070 levels or better

so 1070 won't be able to drive 4k reasonably at all? or do you guys mean it won't be able to play crysis 4k on high

Dude what? I have a 1070 and a 1440p 144hz monitor and I get 90+ fps in most games at 1440p maxed out.

>This is the official leak
>leaks are always accurate

This sounds amazing.

>or do you guys mean it won't be able to play crysis 4k on high
This. The 1070 can play games at 4k at medium settings. But the 1070 is still a better fit for 1440p.

gonna be getting a 4k monitor eventually but I only really care about VR and emulating N64 games

wanna switch to team red. how much more powerful than a 780ti is the 480? haven't really kept up with it

Out of the way nerds, truth coming through
>1080p@144hz, any vidya gaem, max AA, all sliders cranked up
>1440p@144hz, any vidya gaem, max AA, all sliders cranked up
Fuck 4k. Also, 1080p at

> I have a 1070

You bought a reference card? Son you dun goofed

Do you understand how yields and fabrication processes work?
The 480 chip is small as fuck. There's barely any losses when producing one, therefore, they can afford to produce shitloads of them for cheap and have a good amount of stock to sell. Unlike the 1070 and 1080, which are huge as fuck chips that are hard to produce and therefore, will always be hard to keep with the demands.

AMD isn't doing a paper launch according to all the info that we have public. With that in mind, it is far more likely that AMD is able to release that card at MSRP and without "founder's edition" shennanigans to inflate the price like Nvidia did. It'll release at 200$ or very close to that in the US, and around 230-240€ in Europe. Also, an extra 4GB GDDR5 doesn't cost 100$.

And you're dumb to think that AMD will go broke because they have warehouses of 480s. It's their new architecture, there's a lot of interest around it. It'll be selling for at least a year and a half. Even if it ends up flopping or not living up to expectations, all they have to do now is sit on their stock and see how fast it starts selling. If it's taking long, don't produce more, if it's flying off the shelves, they got a bunch of it to sell and can start working on more.

You're fucking retarded, stop posting any time now.

Going for 1440p ultrawide monitor and 1080 is the only way to play vidya in 2016 user.

Increasing resolution means you can reduce AA without introducing jaggies. The only reason we use AA is because we're stuck on such low resolutions.

Hahaha no