So Sup Forums

So Sup Forums
What happened to the trackball?

Other urls found in this thread:

support.google.com/chromebook/answer/1047367?hl=en
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It was thrown in the bin of technological shite where it belongs. Fuck trackballs.

nothing, you're just a retard that cant google for shit to find one.

They're a tool for professionals. Sup Forums is a board for gaming peripherals. They're still in use.

>swap keyboard to Dvorak
>use a trackball
>achieve ultimate ergonomic mode

how you gonna do that without an ergonomic keyboard

lasers

mine is in a closet somewhere because drivers were terribad

That looks pretty neat.

>drivers were terribad
I wasn't aware there were drivers..
X recognizes it fine. What would a driver do for you?

They're shit. It's like asking what happened to ball mice.

Sitting on my desk, that's what

been using them for a while now. pointer sensitivity is set to high so I can zoom across the screen accurately with very little movement. every time I use a regular mouse now it feels like driving a car without power steering and after a while my wrist will start bitching at me

if any USB KB or pointing device needs drivers to work it deserves to be tarred, feathered, and thrown in the dumpster

every KB/mouse I've owned that's been worth keeping works perfectly without any sort of third-party software

Is it worth getting a new mechanical keyboard with one built in or should I just buy a dedicated one?

been using this model since late 90s

I saw an import logicool of that one, hope it's still around so I can grab it sometime

Got replaced by this.

Which does the exact same thing without looking retarded.

>every time I use a regular mouse now it feels like driving a car without power steering and after a while my wrist will start bitching at me
You've grown weak because you've been using degenerate tech for too long.

Using this for awhile. I wish it had a cord.

What is that?

I have not needed pointing device since i stopped playing Unreal, UT, qw and q3a, but i have just about every trackball model released by Logi and Microsoft in the 90's and their sensors are just way too inaccurate or low dpi.

It still works perfectly fine. Using one right now.

The Expert Mouse doesn't need any special drivers.

Got one of those too. Once you go black, you never go back. Plus, quickscoping fags comes easy now.

Can't play CALLOFDOOTY with that

>been using them for a while now. pointer sensitivity is set to high so I can zoom across the screen accurately with very little movement.
I thought trackballs are used for special precision.

>What is that?
Apple fag pad

ebin

It's a lot better to play CALLOFDUTY with it.

I you flipped an old mouse over wouldn't it basically be a trackball?

Have never used one are they good?

How good is this?

No. The ball would go too far inside and not roll at all. The cool kids could hold it right-side-up and manipulate the ball directly. Input is inverted that way.

i think mines almost 10 years old now

Works well enough and I don't get wrist pain with it. Kinda gross though. But not much more than a keyboard desu.

the left click is starting to give out, i cant click and drag so well with it anymore

i actually prefer using these for FPS's too

they're not gross imo, just clean the socket out every now and again

trackballs are used when space and waggling room is limited, it's completely inferior to a mouse in every way

wish they made this left handed

I have plenty of space and use one to avoid wrist pain and sometimes enjoying more comfy positions. When I used to be more of a gamer, I would regularly get multiple kills with it while flashbanged.

It's really nice not needing extra space for a larger mouse pad, and they don't take that long to get used to. I prefer fingerballs, but the MS trackman expolerer design is patented or something like that. Maybe Logitech has it and killed it off, dunno. The elecom one I'm using is good, but not great. Better than the Trackman marble for sure (games and shit need more buttons).

okkid.jpg

I wish they made it bluetooth and a lefthanded version too.

It evolved into something better.

I like the ball size and the scrolling on this one, i just wish it had way more buttons around it

I smell applefags. trackpad might be nice until you lean an extra finger on it in the middle of CALLOFDOOTY and change desktops, or summon Mission Control, or something.

Don't get buttfucked by Jobs, curse his soul.

can anyone ID this trackball

Does the cursor jump when you touch it or does it behave like a ball? Would I want to use silicone butt lube to prevent calluses?

>I like the ball size

That's a mouse you stupid idiot.

dang, i was hoping someone invented a regular mouse that also had a trackball built in. so you could use it either way.

There's a cheap Chinese piece of shit that works like that, but it's garbage at both tasks.

Trackpads are basically the new trackballs. They are amazing actually. Not for everything, sometimes a mouse is still preferable, but as a daily driver it's fucking unbeatable. Gesture support is probably one of the best things about OS X compared to other OSs.

It's absolutely no issue.

>mouse drivers
>1996 + 20
kek

>cursor jump when you touch it
No
>lube
No, it's glass, very nice to use

the larger the ball the more accuracy and less wrist strain

>What is that?
Apple "innovative" hipster tier trash

>I don't like it so it's trash
That's not how that works, the Magic Trackpad is great.

Except I have one and it's complete trash. Trackpads have always been inferior to mice.

One must keep in mind that preferences are a thing. I was weary about dropping a mouse when I bought it, two years later I haven't used a mouse since my trackpad came in the mail.

Apple didn't patent it
Because otherwise every tard would be paying 1000$ for one

Sure you have buddy. I have also five friends who have used iOS and hated it and went to Android, all of them.

Trackpads should not be used for shit like gaming of course but for everything else they're nice to use.

Chrome OS has the 2nd best gestures support. I'm still waiting for gnome or plasma or whatever to include support for trackpad gestures on wayland.

support.google.com/chromebook/answer/1047367?hl=en

There is literally nothing wrong with paying that much for a quality input device.

>I have also five friends who have used iOS
That's nice. I have an iphone 6, so you know. Still think that pad is trash.

That's the problem with you drones, you believe that to be a "fan" of a companies products, you need to believe that everything they make is gold. Think different? No, think for yourself.

someday I'll stop being a poorfag

I actually remember trackball mice being recommended as a "secret weapon" for quite some time. You get the benefits of what would need high-sensitivity on a regular mouse for snapshots without giving up easy consistent-tracking and leading that comes from lower-sensitivity, and you never have to lift the mouse to keep turning to track another player circling you. The only disadvantage is that it takes a while to retrain your muscle memory to use it.

Wow, that went straight over your head my autistic friend.

I love trackballs. This thing cured years of wrist pain from shitty mouse usage. Looks a lot nicer than all the gayming mice on the market and saves me desk space too.

i have one of these and someone mentioned using your feet to control it.

i am not hating it so far

There's foot mouses.

And simple pedals for emacs users.

Whoops, that one is for WASD.

i have been thinking about getting a foot pedal. im not sure if its worth it or not though.

what kind of work do you do?

do any of the competent people in your area of work use this?

if not, do you think you've struck upon some clever insight that others haven't?

if you answered "nothing, i'm a neet" to the first question and thus had no reason to proceed to the subsequent questions, then the answer is "no, it's probably not worth it"

I've been thinking of getting a trackball mouse, and it looks like the major players are Kensington and Elecom. Any particular recommendations from anyone who uses them? The slimblade looks kinda neat, but the elecoms keep the traditional mouse shape.

I don't know about switches but actual pedals for games make Euro Truck Simulator more ennjoyable and realistic flight simulators possible. Don't get CH pedals. They have a fatal design flaw that makes them unusable without modification.

>Don't get CH pedals. They have a fatal design flaw

I would like to know more

"heel cups" prevent using them the way every actual pilot does.

this is a great first trackball, especially for the price the slimeblade is great if you have wrist injuries, i use both. i got rid of my logitech g600 and use the logitech trackball for all games now, but i am pretty casual with games.

Then get used to your right hand u fukin left handed freak

whoa where is this hostility coming from? I use my wrist a lot at work and have not taken proper care of it.

I was thinking a foot pedal at home for general internet browsing would ease some of the stress.

Any usability difference between the thumb-ball and the one used with the forefingers?

your thumb muscles will be sore while you get used to the logitech

Bumping for ergonomic tools.

Alright, thx m8

Nothing.
It's still the most comfy pointing device

How do you have two explorers, that's not fair.

No not really, although the thumb balls tend to be more accessible if you need lots of buttons.

Same exact one I have but white.
Whole lot easier to use for gaming. Wrist doesn't get crammed at all

trackball propaganda

>60% moved back to a regular mouse

why would they include this in their graph when it makes them look bad?

It's not a trackball, but not an ordinary mouse either. It has a trackpoint (clit mouse) instead of a scroll wheel. Only one I've seen irl was Lenovo brand, if that helps

>the left click is starting to give out, i cant click and drag so well with it anymore
Yep, the left button on three of these give out on me. After the third one went I tried the Kensington Expert Mouse instead, which is decent but not my favorite shape (and the scroll ring is funky). Eventually the top left button gave out on that, and now I've been using a CST L-Trac for about a year which hasn't given me any kind of trouble yet.

is this enough buttons for you, you fucken donkey.

You're making assumptions there, it says 42 percent would never go back to a regular mouse, not that 58 percent did go back.

>What happened to the trackball?
Nothing. It's still the best kept secret of ultimate pointer control because mouse users are too weak/impatient to learn a new method.

That's actually pretty cool.

whats it called.

That looks very comfy to use. I guess you use the trackball with your thumb?

I had a MS explorer mouse from 2001-2006. Dunno where it is mow

are those obsf-24s lmao

This. 10/10 tool.